BKT for children

belldandy

I just came in to tell Belldandy that she has been holding it DOWN in this thread.

Kinky hair is only difficult if you don't bother to figure out how to handle it.

Can little girls be little girls for a second?? Slap some neat twists and braids in there and call it a day....it doesn't have to be fancy.

Folks are trippin for real. Slappin relaxers and BKT's full of fumes too strong for grown folk on a baby's head:nono:

You have to ask if thats a good idea???? Seriously????

I am too through.

^^^LOL Thanks Black Master Piece

I am really getting sick of the excuses we are making...I mean really, what little girl doesn't cry when getting her hair done? My niece is 4 and she cries, she does not have "kinky hair." My mother holds her little butt down and cornrows it anyway.

What is going on with our people? Its really not about the kinky hair... People are bleaching their babies, straightening baby hairs, sewing hair in....its just sick. There is no excuse. When did afro puffs stop being cute?

I mean fine, if a grown women wants to do all of that to her body, FINE. I am texlaxed, I wanted to relax some of my curls to reduce tangles...but damn this is getting embarassing! :wallbash::wallbash: I dont even care if i get flamed for this.

lusciousladie07

some folks just wont let little girls be little girls. They want them to look like grown women...
I've seen some with weaves at 7.. some in high heel shoes and mini skirts in mcdonalds...
And no wonder when they are 12 and 13, they popping out babies... because they never learned to enjoy BEING A CHILD!!!!!

A 4 year old should have braids, pigtails, beads and barrets.. Not bobs and pixies.. or weaves and too tight micros braids down their backs.

The mom is being selfish IMO! instead of taking the time out to figure out the best and healthiest way to deal with her baby's hair.. she is trying to take the easy way out for herself!

Ridiculous!

CurleeDST

1. Her stylist told her it was all natural so she is assuming it is not harmful like caustic lye
2. Her daughter has extremely thick hair and she is not savvy at braiding and doing hair is a daily chore where both end up crying
3. The stylist suggested it to her and said it was all natural and cut the rate by 50%

So while she isn't fascinated with straight hair (the mother herself is all natural) she is looking for a way to make it easier for her to manage her daughter's thick coily hair.

My thoughts...."why?"

CurleeDST

To be honest - unless you have your own child I do not think it is as cut and dried as you are making it sound. It isn't that she wants to style her daughter's hair with fingerwaves or a flip. She wants to be able to comb through her daughter's hair to put it in pigtails, barrettes and such without her daughter wailing as if she is being killed.

And I can empathize b/c I am up every morning by 5 am to get myself ready and then to get my daughter up and have to do her hair. She acts like I am killing her sometimes before I even put the comb in her head. I know about how to hold the hair so it doesn't pull, how to start combing from the ends to the roots and even spray detangler on it on a daily basis to make it easier to get the wide-toothed comb through but little girls will act up especially if you end up tugging harder than they like.

Many of us have been through it as little girls and if you wince your mom pops you with the comb on your knuckles "Sit still"! So I get what she is trying to do but she lacks unbiased information to really make an informed decision.

To her she is being told "oh we have something not using chemicals which wil straighten her hair for 4 to 6 months which will make it easier for you to comb it, part it, braid, it, etc. AND I am gonna give it to you at 1/2 price and I am the only person around these parts of South Carolina who even adminsters this technique. Try it - I have done it on other children her age with no problem or side effects.

The mother just doesn't know which is why her cousin called to ask me about it b/c she barely heard of it. Many people do not know of or frequent these hair boards to stay in the know of this type of information.

some folks just wont let little girls be little girls. They want them to look like grown women...
I've seen some with weaves at 7.. some in high heel shoes and mini skirts in mcdonalds...
And no wonder when they are 12 and 13, they popping out babies... because they never learned to enjoy BEING A CHILD!!!!!

A 4 year old should have braids, pigtails, beads and barrets.. Not bobs and pixies.. or weaves and too tight micros braids down their backs.

The mom is being selfish IMO! instead of taking the time out to figure out the best and healthiest way to deal with her baby's hair.. she is trying to take the easy way out for herself!

Ridiculous!

CurleeDST

I get why she is considering it. She also doesn't have all of the information about this technique. She first heard of it from her stylist who is telling her it is cool to do on her 4-year old.

I told her cousin (who is the one who called me about it) that it is formaldehyde, it takes at least 4 hours, it expensive $600 to $800 here in Maryland and the heat from the flat iron is HIGH and the fumes are STRONG! Plus it IS a chemical b/c it alters the molecular structure of the hair which doesn't bounce all the way back to the original texture.

My friend (the mother's cousin) said she may not know about this technique but it must have something in it if it is straightening the hair like that. Common sense is telling her that.

And I agree..just b/c it is "all natural" doesn't mean it isn't harmful in any dosage especially to a young baby who is still developing, growing and possibly sensitive to these "natural" hair straightening remedies.

I told her DO NOT DO IT! It is her child but that stylist will tell her anything to get her money and get her return on investment for getting certified in this technique.

Since I know the mother - she isn't about having her daughter look like Beyonce or grown. She is truly at her wits end of how to effectively groom her child's hair without it being a battle and hurting her. Again, not everyone lives on these boards to look up and learn about different techniques so it doesn't hurt when combing, washing, etc.

Heck I didn't know about this board until YanteCoi told me about it years ago when we worked together. And truth be told I thought she was crazy for being on here "message boards about hair"? I was like get a life. LOL and here I am still after 5 years. :yep:

I agree - not the best idea. But ... I too was once a client who believed anything my stylist would tell me (he/she is the expert right?) and if the mother is having those kinds of struggles and is at her wit's end of course what the stylist says sounds like the perfect remedy. Her only hesitation is probably the cost. The stylist has cut the cost in half, says its all natural, says she's tried it on a child before without problems - of course the mommy is looking for some relief for her child. I'm so glad she is discussing this with the OP - you can give her some alternatives to try. Best wishes to the mommy and her daughter!

belldandy

To be honest - unless you have your own child I do not think it is as cut and dried as you are making it sound. It isn't that she wants to style her daughter's hair with fingerwaves or a flip. She wants to be able to comb through her daughter's hair to put it in pigtails, barrettes and such without her daughter wailing as if she is being killed.

And I can empathize b/c I am up every morning by 5 am to get myself ready and then to get my daughter up and have to do her hair. She acts like I am killing her sometimes before I even put the comb in her head. I know about how to hold the hair so it doesn't pull, how to start combing from the ends to the roots and even spray detangler on it on a daily basis to make it easier to get the wide-toothed comb through but little girls will act up especially if you end up tugging harder than they like.

Many of us have been through it as little girls and if you wince your mom pops you with the comb on your knuckles "Sit still"! So I get what she is trying to do but she lacks unbiased information to really make an informed decision.

To her she is being told "oh we have something not using chemicals which wil straighten her hair for 4 to 6 months which will make it easier for you to comb it, part it, braid, it, etc. AND I am gonna give it to you at 1/2 price and I am the only person around these parts of South Carolina who even adminsters this technique. Try it - I have done it on other children her age with no problem or side effects.

The mother just doesn't know which is why her cousin called to ask me about it b/c she barely heard of it. Many people do not know of or frequent these hair boards to stay in the know of this type of information.

OMIgosh please just tell her to have just the girls hair cornrowed every month :nono:

Last edited:

lusciousladie07

Yes I do have a child. He is a boy and he had hair until right before he went to school at the age of 4. He kicked and screamed when i would just go near his head. BUT, I am the mother and an adult. I can handle him and a difficult situation. I would do styles that were quick, easy, and neat. And i did change my approach a # of times to deal with taking care of his hair. In no way shape or form would I let him go outside looking unkempt. If that meant i had to deal with the overreacting and the drama to do his head, so be it.

I wasn't implying that your friend specifically was trying to make her daughter grow up too fast. I was just a general comment to the to parents that dress and style their children inappropriately. (for instance the infant with the lace front a few pages back)

But, I still stand by my comment of trying to find the easy way out. She may not be the best at braiding and I can understand that. But stylist or no stylist, If someone suggests to me that I put anything I havent heard about in my baby's head, i will immediately ask more questions.
-Let me see the product your talking about ma'am
- can I speak with one of your clients you have done this "natural treatment" for?
-If its natural.. Can you tell me what's in it.

If it was for myself ( before joining lhcf), I may have just went along with it
But for my child, I'm asking a boatload of questions (I did this even before lhcf)

In no way did I mean to offend. :yep: Just sometimes I wish mothers (in general) weren't so trusting of other people (in any circumstance) when it comes to our children.

Last edited:
I personally think most of you are being far too harsh and jumping to conclusions. I didn't read where OP said the mom wanted her daughter's hair to be silky or straight. She is looking for a solution to help manage her highly textured hair. It's a far leap from manageable to long, silky and straight.

I would never ever consider doing a BKT on a child of any age but I have researched the product and it doesn't sound like the child's mother has. I bet once she has, she will reconsider. She was making a consideration based on what a "professional" told her. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt. Okay, off my soapbox now.

CurleeDST

Yup that is my suggestion. It would cost less than a BKT (with the discount). It is just unfortunate that by seeking assistance and advice from a "professional" that is what the professional came back and recommended.

I am 1 of those mothers who can't braid to save her life....and dealing with hair every morning - don't have the time too busy. I have seen little girls with braids and I hate seeing fake hair added on young girls so I definitely would not do it with my daughter (and she is now swimming every Saturday).

So it isn't easy for us mothers with daughters with thick and long hair.

OMIgosh please just tell her to have just the girls hair cornrowed every month :nono:

CurleeDST

You hit it on the head. Her professional stylist gave her the recommendation after she explained her concern. She then asked her cousin if she has ever heard of it and her cousin called me to ask me what I knew about it (b/c she knows I am on these hair boards).

I told her I would ask but gave her what I think I know about it.

It really isn't a mother trying to raise a diva...she is just trying to figure out the best way to manage her daughter's hair so she isn't hurting her. She is a very busy career mom with 2 GIRLS with thick hair so she just needs some help and guidance.

I told her cousin to keep that stuff away from the 4 year old and consider taking her to get braids (box or cornrows) which could possibly last 2 weeks before needing to be redone. That way she isn't doing hair daily.

I personally think most of you are being far too harsh and jumping to conclusions. I didn't read where OP said the mom wanted her daughter's hair to be silky or straight. She is looking for a solution to help manage her highly textured hair. It's a far leap from manageable to long, silky and straight.

I would never ever consider doing a BKT on a child of any age but I have researched the product and it doesn't sound like the child's mother has. I bet once she has, she will reconsider. She was making a consideration based on what a "professional" told her. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt. Okay, off my soapbox now.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Cornrows hurt.

I feel ya, OP. She's not an LHCF-er, so she doesn't know the ins and outs of healthy hair/natural hair care. She's going on the authority of her stylist. I think many of us have been there at one point in time. I used bkt last july, only once, and though I had minimal fuming using Softliss, i would hold off on applying this to a child's hair.

My dd is 10 and she wants cornrows. I'm not gonna do it. She's tender-headed, waistlength, curly coiled as all get out. She could not endure it and i don't think my nerves could take it. I don't trust her hair to stylists, either and I do not want her to be traumatized from the discomfort. Now when she's older, we'll revisit the idea of cornrows and such, but for now, no way. I do not want her to have the impression that her hair is hard to handle or difficult.

CurleeDST

I hear you. But to say someone is trying to take "the easy way out" b/c they do not want to tussle, yank, and pull on their daughter's head that hurts her is...well being judgemental. If she doesn't know what to do then she doesn't. Many people do not have the time, money or patience to spend on hair boards posting and reading comments. She did what she knew - ask her hairstylist. Ask family members. Ask friends.

Does anyone know the full process?

Yes I do have a child. He is a boy and he had hair until right before he went to school at the age of 4. He kicked and screamed when i would just go near his head. BUT, I am the mother and an adult. I can handle him and a difficult situation. I would do styles that were quick, easy, and neat. And i did change my approach a # of times to deal with taking care of his hair. In no way shape or form would I let him go outside looking unkempt. If that meant i had to deal with the overreacting and the drama to do his head, so be it.

I wasn't implying that your friend specifically was trying to make her daughter grow up too fast. I was just a general comment to the to parents that dress and style their children inappropriately. (for instance the infant with the lace front a few pages)

But, I still stand by my comment of trying to find the easy way out. She may not be the best at braiding and I can understand that. But stylist or no stylist, If someone suggests to me that I put anything I havent heard about in my baby's head, i will immediately ask more questions.
-Let me see the product your talking about ma'am
- can I speak with one of your clients you have done this "natural treatment" for?
-If its natural.. Can you tell me what's in it.

If it was for myself ( before joining lhcf), I may have just went along with it
But for my child, I'm asking a boatload of questions (I did this even before lhcf)

In no way did I mean to offend. :yep: Just sometimes I wish mothers (in general) weren't so trusting of other people (in any circumstance) when it comes to our children.

belldandy

I dont know. maybe I am being too harsh. I apologize :look:

It's just like, how do we skip over so many other options? If someone said to me, I got this "swiss straightening treatment and its natural and it will help manage your 4 year olds hair, keep it straight for half of the year" I would be like, thanks but no thanks, I'm not swiss and that sounds a bit strong,... where the scrunchies at" :rolleyes:

I just cannot imagine a 4 year old head being so difficult to manage that it would even come up in conversation with my "stylist" especially if I were natural myself and (presumably) just at the salon for a wash and trim and maybe some twists or something...

I would get on the internet myself and research ways to take care of the child's hair if it were very different in texture from my own.

I apologize if I offended anyone though.

CurleeDST

I agree with you. Also, she is doing and accessing resources that she knows - her stylist. If she has a relationship with her, why would she not trust her opinion?

I gave my opinion to her cousin who said she would pass it on - pass on the BKT she is too young.

Cornrows hurt.

I feel ya, OP. She's not an LHCF-er, so she doesn't know the ins and outs of healthy hair/natural hair care. She's going on the authority of her stylist. I think many of us have been there at one point in time. I used bkt last july, only once, and though I had minimal fuming using Softliss, i would hold off on applying this to a child's hair.

My dd is 10 and she wants cornrows. I'm not gonna do it. She's tender-headed, waistlength, curly coiled as all get out. She could not endure it and i don't think my nerves could take it. I don't trust her hair to stylists, either and I do not want her to be traumatized from the discomfort. Now when she's older, we'll revisit the idea of cornrows and such, but for now, no way. I do not want her to have the impression that her hair is hard to handle or difficult.

belldandy

Cornrows hurt.

Some people can make a cornrow that is not tight

CurleeDST

I would say difficult to manage is relative. If you had to classify it her daughter's hair tangles very easily and coils up on itself seconds after being washed, conditioned and combed.

She sweats in her sleep and her hair has shrinkage like no other so she has to wet the brush and/or comb to attempt to comb through it to put it up in ponies. There is limited time in the morning and the little girl winces, cries, wails and it is a daily struggle and fight.

I have been there as a child and totally understand having my own daughter who had mid-back length hair at 4 that is bushy, frizzy and kinky-curly. So I get where my girl's cousin is coming from.

The little girl can't sleep in barrettes so you take it down at night, try to tie it down but the scarf is always on the floor in the morning and her hair is matted. And the daily morning struggle ritual begins.

Considering she didn't automatically schedule an appointment for her daughter, but leave the salon and started seeking 2nd advice tells me she wants to do her own research first. She isn't a dummy - she's highly educated and knows how to do research. She just never came across this technique in her town in South Carolina so she is on the internet learning about it and her cousin asked me what I knew about it.

It's just like, how do we skip over so many other options? If someone said to me, I got this "swiss straightening treatment and its natural and it will help manage your 4 year olds hair, keep it straight for half of the year" I would be like, thanks but no thanks, I'm not swiss and that sounds a bit strong,... where the scrunchies at" :rolleyes:

I just cannot imagine a 4 year old head being so difficult to manage that it would even come up in conversation with my "stylist" especially if I were natural myself and (presumably) just at the salon for a wash and trim and maybe some twists or something...

I would get on the internet myself and research ways to take care of the child's hair if it were very different in texture from my own.

belldandy

these ones i only heard about when i join a hairboard: coconut creme treatment, yougurt treatment, pass it on.

lusciousladie07

I hear you. But to say someone is trying to take "the easy way out" b/c they do not want to tussle, yank, and pull on their daughter's head that hurts her is...well being judgemental. If she doesn't know what to do then she doesn't. Many people do not have the time, money or patience to spend on hair boards posting and reading comments. She did what she knew - ask her hairstylist. Ask family members. Ask friends.

Does anyone know the full process?

I dont meant to be judgemental. And I understand that she doesnt know. Im glad that she is asking questions and especially glad on the reponse your giving her.

But if a stylists suggests to me that I put something other than the norm in a 4 yr olds head, Bells would go off for me that something is not right.

I hope she doesnt do the BKT and I hope she finds a way to handle her childs hair. And to be honest, I hope she finds a different stylist. I doesnt seem like she has her customers best interest at heart. If you know what BKT is, then you know is not "natural" and telling people otherwise is not right.

CurleeDST

Depends on what you have access to and know how to do. The mother is natural but her stylist straightens her hair every 2 weeks.

It seems it she started struggling with it once it started growing longer. It was very short where all she needed to do was put a head band on it. Now it is going through a growth spurt and it is challenging her to comb and groom.

I'm sure there are braiders in her town, not sure if she knows who they are or has a recommendation of one who has braided children's hair before. That info I just do not have.

a lot of naturals wear twists...the mother is natural right? or would that hurt too?

lusciousladie07

I would say difficult to manage is relative. If you had to classify it her daughter's hair tangles very easily and coils up on itself seconds after being washed, conditioned and combed.

She sweats in her sleep and her hair has shrinkage like no other so she has to wet the brush and/or comb to attempt to comb through it to put it up in ponies. There is limited time in the morning and the little girl winces, cries, wails and it is a daily struggle and fight.

I have been there as a child and totally understand having my own daughter who had mid-back length hair at 4 that is bushy, frizzy and kinky-curly. So I get where my girl's cousin is coming from.

The little girl can't sleep in barrettes so you take it down at night, try to tie it down but the scarf is always on the floor in the morning and her hair is matted. And the daily morning struggle ritual begins.

Considering she didn't automatically schedule an appointment for her daughter, but leave the salon and started seeking 2nd advice tells me she wants to do her own research first. She isn't a dummy - she's highly educated and knows how to do research. She just never came across this technique in her town in South Carolina so she is on the internet learning about it and her cousin asked me what I knew about it.

could she just put in plaits at night without the barretts and just add them in the morning? Like 1 on each side and 1 in the back?

belldandy

Btw, i am tender headed and always was, but as a child my hair stayed braided up bc my mom has 3 daughters and didnt have time to mess in our hair every day; i turned out fine. i used to cry then 15 mins later i was playing again.
maybe since her stylist does natural hair she could recommend someone who would not do them too tight. she could just get regular plats if cornrows are not a option. i cannot imagine that plats would be a problem...they are cute, safe and resilient, very easy to do.

BD- In all fairness, you seem very knowledgeable a/b hair and hair care. A lot of women are not in that position, yes even black women. Look at how many of us struggle with our own natural hair. I do most kids hair in my family and neighborhood so her hair wouldn't challenge me but many women would be challenged if this is a new texture for them. Most black women have been relaxed before they even learned to care for their own natural texture so some are lost when it comes to doing their own kids hair. I am glad she reached out to her cousin and maybe she can get some good advice from here. It's a learning experience for us all. Heck, I am still struggling with my hair's porosity and I am a licensed!

BlackMasterPiece

Ummm CurleeDST I see you've been a LHCF member since 2003 with all due respect, in seven years..... haven't you acquired enough information to educate your friend on how to style kinky textured hair on children with no tears and no hardship?? Like only combing when saturated with slippy condish, keeping the hair in a stretched state at all times etc.???

I mean of all people shouldn't you as a seasoned LHCF member beable to guide her as to becoming more versed in haircare? I mean I find it kinda strange that you're on the fence as to how to react in this situation?:confused:

JustSimplyTish

Ok.....After 5 pages of reading and searching this forum ... I just figured out what a BKT was....and after all that research...I say NO, Seriously and Why??

belldandy

BD- In all fairness, you seem very knowledgeable a/b hair and hair care. A lot of women are not in that position, yes even black women. Look at how many of us struggle with our own natural hair. I do most kids hair in my family and neighborhood so her hair wouldn't challenge me but many women would be challenged if this is a new texture for them. Most black women have been relaxed before they even learned to care for their own natural texture so some are lost when it comes to doing their own kids hair. I am glad she reached out to her cousin and maybe she can get some good advice from here. It's a learning experience for us all. Heck, I am still struggling with my hair's porosity and I am a licensed!

Fair enough.

But my thing is, little girls crying when getting their hair done is not unique to kinky textured hair, its perfectly normal for a 4 year old to cry when getting their hair done. Is it not strange to even consider taking a 4 year old to a salon to get a treatment that grown women get? something that would keep your hair straight for 6 months? that is alien to me, four year olds are just learning how to string together sentences...I am glad she reached out to, but to even consider something like that for a 4 yo is a bit shocking to me, imho. if the child were 14 i'd still be against it but would understand the mother for asking.

beans4reezy

1. Her stylist told her it was all natural so she is assuming it is not harmful like caustic lye
2. Her daughter has extremely thick hair and she is not savvy at braiding and doing hair is a daily chore where both end up crying
3. The stylist suggested it to her and said it was all natural and cut the rate by 50%

1. You shouldn't assume natural means safe. Mom needs to research!
2. Honestly, plently of mom's cannot braid to save their lives. These moms make the extra effort (i.e find someone who can braid and have that style last for a week or two, wash, condition, then start the process over again or here's a novel idea- just learn). I am a mom, and that is what we do; we make the extra effort.
3. The stylist suggestion: Yeah, did she check out the price? You think the stylist had the mom and little girl's best interest in mind or her own wallet?

Everyone is looking for a short cuts. In parenting, short cuts tend to lead to bigger problems down the line. If we can't find ways of managing our little girls heads without resorting to fumes; God help us all as African Americans- we will be hard pressed to find a natural headed 2 year old baby.

beans4reezy

Fair enough.

But my thing is, little girls crying when getting their hair done is not unique to kinky textured hair, its perfectly normal for a 4 year old to cry when getting their hair done.

The funny thing is...it isn't even unique to other types either. I was watching an infomercial where Jennie Garth (Kelly, 90210) was saying how her daughters used to cry and carry on when it was time for her to wash and condition their heads. And these are blond haired type 1's...

It's all a part of parenting. When did the act of simple parenting become an excuse to cut corners?

DeepBluSea

I agree the mom should explore other resources to learn how to do her daughter's hair. Anything, but the BKT. First, she should not be trying to comb that baby's hair every morning. Pick a style that will last. Second, split up the hair time. I think Blessed Angel does it this way. I wash and condition on Fri night. Moisturize and put in big plaits. Style on Sat morning. Third, try to distract the child. We watch a movie or cartoons. My dd cries and carries on about how she gets her hair combed because she hates sitting still! If she is distracted it cuts out on the drama. Last resort, how long is the child's hair? Maybe mom can cut it to SL until they get a routine going.

Yall, I think CurleeDST is a great and helpful member. No need to come at her like she is BKTing the child's head. Even if she gave the best advice, the mom still gonna do what she wanna do. Some of yall need to simma down.