BIG CHOP ......REGRETS

douglala

Any naturals out there that did the big chop and actually regret doing it (for whatever reason)? Any transitioners thinking about doing the big chop?

I am contimplating doing this but am nervous. Once it is gone, it's gone. I am not sure how a TWA will look on me and not 100% sure of what my hair texture is.

cybra

Actually, I had thought about doing the "big chop" but with it getting cold I'm sure I would regret it. So, what I did, in September, 1 1/2 months after my last relaxer, I trimmed off about 1 inch of hair. I have been cutting 1/2 to 1 inch of hair off each month since I'm getting about 1 or more inches of new growth each month. This way, I don't miss the hair, and, I get to transition for awhile. I think completely cutting it off will leave me feeling naked and exposed
I know that's silly because when I was about 16 or 17, I did the big chop one summer and I absolutely loved my small curly fro. It was so pretty and shiny and I never went anywhere without getting compliments on it. So, I guess my worry now is probably more over having a could head than anything. But if you do it, be sure to do before and after pics, as well as, followup pics.

aikaa71

yeah im considering doing the big chop, but worried about the look and i do not now exactly how the natural hair will look like.

Laela promised to post pics after her big chop but she has not. Laela im waiting to see your pictures girl.

aqualung

Have you all checked out the transitioning board at nappturality.com? They discuss extensively (from experience) big chops vs. transitioning gradually. Naturallycurly.com also has a board for transitioners.

Good luck!

Ayeshia

I regretted it the first day because i didnt plan on doing it so i guess i didnt mentally prepare myself. But now its week three and a half and my hair is already growing back. And I really like it. It helps to see other people who did the big chop. Like Destinee and members of nappturality. I look at their hair progression photos to get an idea of where my hair will be within a years time. So in about April which is month nine of my new growth from July i should be able to get a puff. People forget that a twa is not permanent but hair grows!

Daughter

UK Blak
If I had my time again, I would have chopped. I don't regret transitioning though, I learned to be more skilful with my hair (I had NO clue, LOL!)

As Ayeshia said, a TWA isn't permanent, it'll grow back

douglala

A TWA is not permanent but it would take YEARS to grow back the hair that I will be cutting off. The only reason I am considering doing the chop is because it would help me to get accustomed to my natural hair easier than transitioning. It is hard to tell completly what my natural hair is like when I still have permed end holding it down. I dont want to one day have a head full of natural hair and no clue what to do with it. With a TWA you and your hair grow together.

Cybra - I will post pics if I go through with it. And it is getting cold but there is always a hat. You already know that the style is cute on you.

Aikaa71 - you feel my pain girl

Megonw - yes, I have checked out the two website and they are truly inspiring.j

buffalosoldier

A few years ago my hair was really long and damaged from color(it was horrible) so on impulse I let my boyfriend cut it all off down to the new growth. After the initial shock I absolutely LOVED it and I kept it short for over a year before growing it back out.
It was like starting over with new hair. The texture was lovely and so new to me infact I had the hair I had always wanted. my boyfriend said 'where did you get those waves from?"
I read andre's book and started taking better care of my hair using mainly salon products and reading ingredients. I texturised it too whereas before it was relaxed.
Now it is shoulder length and in so much better condition then before when it was long. I look back at old photos and cringe.
So cutting it off was the best thing I ever did

hair 3c

DelightfulFlame

I had a weak moment when I first chopped...I wouldn't say it was a regret. It came from not being aware that it would take some time to get used to my natural hair and find out what it likes. I had transitioned for a few months, so of course I was an "expert" or so I thought.

They key for me was to decide that no matter what my hair looked like, I was going to be healthy and happy with it. I didn't give a darn what people thought. Now, I'm having a blast learning and loving my hair.

jemini

I've never done the big chop before but have transitioned before becoming natural. Now I'm thinking of doing it because a lot of my hair near the ends look so dull and see-through compared to the hair closer to my roots. So I'm really thinking about chopping the see through parts completely off then getting braid extensions to grow it back out.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I fooled around with some photo editing software and the Essence makeover program. I was all lips and teeth! I looked like a the stereotypical butch lesbian in the prison movies. Short hair is not for me.

ngaa

mmm well i did the big chop without transitionin properly and didnt really regret the chop but missed my hair, missed not being able to do the bun challenge and all that BUT i love how quickly it is, it takes a mongth 4 the length to double and its lil things lik that i looked 4ward to. Dont regret doin it, 1/2 a yr later.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
I fooled around with some photo editing software and the Essence makeover program. I was all lips and teeth! I looked like a the stereotypical butch lesbian in the prison movies. Short hair is not for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
that is too funny (about the prison part)

BamaFro

i have NEVER regretted The Big Chop, BUT, i chopped my hair in july. i chopped in 2002 and it's been almost a year and a half. my hair is hitting the base of my beck and when stretched out it's starting to go down my back. it WILL NOT TAKE YEARS TO GROW YOUR HAIR BACK.

treat your hair well and you'll be out of the TWA stage before you know it.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
BamaFro said:
i have NEVER regretted The Big Chop, BUT, i chopped my hair in july. i chopped in 2002 and it's been almost a year and a half. my hair is hitting the base of my beck and when stretched out it's starting to go down my back. it WILL NOT TAKE YEARS TO GROW YOUR HAIR BACK.

treat your hair well and you'll be out of the TWA stage before you know it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i definitely agree. i had this stubborn patch of hair two weeks ago that kept sticking up because it was sorter than the rest now two weeks later it curls up with the rest of my hair.

ngaa

offtopic
bamaafro i loooooooove the pics of yo braided up do, GORGOUS!! what products do u use 4 shine??

Chimma

Didn't do the chop and don't plan to. Just a week ago I was asking the LHCF about which was better, and I decided that short hair is not for me.

When I went natural, I didn't even consider the big chop. I didn't like really short hair, and I didn't have enough confidence to sport a twa. It's been almost a year, and I considered the chop and had convinced myself to do it after visiting nappturality.com. I had posted here at the LHCF to get opinions, and I found a lot of transitioning support. Both ways are manageable although it took me many months to feel comfortable with my transitioning hair.

I feel as if the chop is not necessarily for everyone. Don't do it if you aren't ready, because not everyone is exhilerated once they chop. Do what you feel comfortable with. If the difference between the textures annoys you too much then chop! If you want length goals, then you are adding years to the time that it takes you to get them. For me, the deciding factor was that I want natural hair that is long. I'm not crazy about the way my natural hair looks when short. I also thought that keeping my relaxed hair would make the ends of my natural hair nonexposed so that I wouldn't need to trim my natural hair, and it would be more protected. Do what makes you happy.

shinyblackhair

I think if you're feeling like you might have regrets don't do it. Once it's gone it's gone for a while. Trust me. I chopped my hair off 2.5 years ago (I was still relaxed). I'm now 3 inches from bra strap. Most people say that's fast, but to me it's been a long road. I will never eva cut my hair again. Even if I decided to go natural(which I doubt) I'd transition.

On the other hand doing the "big chop" allows you to start fresh and grow a perfectly healthy head of hair.

Peachtree

"Any transitioners thinking about doing the big chop?"

Yep, I think about it quite frequently

I've never had a TWA, but I have had a 1-2" cut, shaven in the back relaxed style that I sported in '95. I really liked the cut, but when I got fed up with maintaining the style, the grow out phase was the worst
!!! It required a lot of work (hot curling daily
) ... I was far toooo busy (& lazy) to be a slave to my hair.

So, I've dealt with having short (relaxed) hair before. Every now & again I begin to wonder what it would be like to care for my natural (short) hair?

.... If I'm gonna do the chop, it'll be sometime next yr .... I'm very curious about my true hair, but I'm not looking forward to styling short hair

bellydancer

I regret NOT doing the big chop because I love short hair (I've never had it
). I just wanted to see what it would have looked like on me but it's not the end of the world. I'll jus wear short wigs.

inthepink

I'm transitioning and I don't plan on chopping. It is just not in the cards for me. I have always had long hair (at least below shoulders) and I just don't think I'd look right with short hair.

I am looking forward to having shoulder length natural hair when curly. I think I should be there in another year and a half. Then, I will consider cutting to that point if I feel comfortable.

I am not having a difficult time managing my hair. I am actually learning so much about it and really can't wait till I'm all natural. BUT, I think I will not stress as much about the growing out phase if I have some length to help me style my hair along the way. Just my personal preference at this point!

Tgirl

I don't regret doing the big chop. I got tired of dealing with the tangles in the relaxed hair. I washed my hair with no braids or anything for the first time a couple of weeks ago and there was no tangling and my hair curled into these really soft curls. I love it.

skegeesmb

Oh I did a big chop. I cut off in total 20 inches of relaxed hair in three phases. From almost brastrap to shoulderlength, from shoulderlength to chin length, and then finally from chin length to 3 inches at it's longest to completely shaved like a boy in the back.

I loved my hair length and I cut it again a month later to maintain the length. Then I got tired of it. The 3 inch difference in length made a difference when I was growing out. I was miserable. I missed my hair, I missed the length.

When I go natural again I will transition. I will cut an inch and maintain my length or cut to a little past brastrap length. I did the chop, learned about my hair a lot. And I feel I don't need to do it again. But if I didn't do a big chop(s) I would do a big chop. I think you should go through it at least once.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:
Oh I did a big chop. I cut off in total 20 inches of relaxed hair in three phases. From almost brastrap to shoulderlength, from shoulderlength to chin length, and then finally from chin length to 3 inches at it's longest to completely shaved like a boy in the back.

I loved my hair length and I cut it again a month later to maintain the length. Then I got tired of it. The 3 inch difference in length made a difference when I was growing out. I was miserable. I missed my hair, I missed the length.

When I go natural again I will transition. I will cut an inch and maintain my length or cut to a little past brastrap length. I did the chop, learned about my hair a lot. And I feel I don't need to do it again. But if I didn't do a big chop(s) I would do a big chop. I think you should go through it at least once.

[/ QUOTE ]
when did you cut your hair into that three inch style? it sounds cute.

skegeesmb

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
skegeesmb said:

[/ QUOTE ]
when did you cut your hair into that three inch style? it sounds cute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
[ QUOTE ]
aikaa71 said:
yeah im considering doing the big chop, but worried about the look and i do not now exactly how the natural hair will look like.

Laela promised to post pics after her big chop but she has not. Laela im waiting to see your pictures girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, hey.. I'm still wearing the twa. Got is touched up the other day. But I will post my pics. I promise

CaramelKiss

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree said:
"Any transitioners thinking about doing the big chop?"

Yep, I think about it quite frequently

I've never had a TWA, but I have had a 1-2" cut, shaven in the back relaxed style that I sported in '95. I really liked the cut, but when I got fed up with maintaining the style, the grow out phase was the worst
!!! It required a lot of work (hot curling daily
) ... I was far toooo busy (& lazy) to be a slave to my hair.

So, I've dealt with having short (relaxed) hair before. Every now & again I begin to wonder what it would be like to care for my natural (short) hair?

.... If I'm gonna do the chop, it'll be sometime next yr .... I'm very curious about my true hair, but I'm not looking forward to styling short hair

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya on that Peachtree

I did my big chop in July, it was looking good ultra short, but now that its growing out, it is pure torture (except for when I pull it back in a ponytail). I love my natural hair, don't get me wrong, but I hate that pyramid, poodle doo!!! I have flat ironed a few times and compliments pour in and my hair looks great, but at the same time, I want my hair to be healthy and so the curling iron is not a permanent part of my regime. It hurts your progress and its too much maintance! Anyhow, its good to when u have enough hair to make a ponytail. it may not seem much, but it's a milestone when u can gather your hair in one. Anyhow, next summer, I should be comfortably out of the growing out phase. It isn't for everyone that's for sure. Think long and hard before u do it!!

G

[ QUOTE ]
douglala said:
I am contimplating doing this but am nervous. Once it is gone, it's gone. I am not sure how a TWA will look on me and not 100% sure of what my hair texture is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really think about this, I never heard of "Big Chop" til I came to these boards and here it's BuzzWord. And before you know it you are caught up and ain't go no hair... Serioiusly think about this before you do it and do it only when you feel comfortable about it.

OR do it in stages like someone here said.

loverofnaps71

NO REGRETS AT ALL!!! However, when I did do the BIG CHOP, I experienced all kinds of negativity from peers and family and that was a difficult time for me. That's why anyone who decided to do the BIG CHOP, you must really be brave and most importantly, LOVE YOURSELF, because you will experience some I-G-N-O-R-A-N-C-E! Many people thought I was going through a phase or that I was gay or something. It was really hard. But that's the only bad experience. I hear many people transitioning without doing the BIG CHOP and I think that it might be a mistake because having relaxed and natural hair at the same time might cause some damage to the hair in general. That's why most people recommend the BIG CHOP. I'm glad that I did because my hair couldn't be healthier! Also, I understand that transitioning with relaxer, you will eventually have to cut it because the split ends will continue splitting and damaging hair if you don't. I tried to transition this way but ended up cutting the rest of the relaxed hair off because my hair was so damaging and look awful because 1/2 was relaxed and the other 1/2 was natural. If you do decide to do the BC, realize that the hair will recover, and with all the vitamins/supplementation, water, proper diet, NO-POO, etc. the hair will grow FAST. The only regret that I have is that I was not a member of this forum when I did the BC, and therefore was not armed with information that could've accelerated the growth and health process. But now that I do have access to valuable information, thanks to you lovely ladies, my hair is healthier, growing faster and I am quite pleased! My advice for transitioners: Do the BIG CHOP! Your hair will thank you for it.