Long-Term Amla Users: Any Texture/Color Changes?

Did Your Color/Texture Change?

• Yes, Amla loosened my texture/changed my hair type.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Yes, Amla changed my color.

• Yes, Amla changed my texture and color.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Amla didn't change anything.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other

• Total voters

davisbr88

Hi, ladies!
I am interested in trying amla powder because of all of its benefits but am transitioning and thoroughly paranoid about doing anything that could change my new growth before I chop in January. I know that amla is colorless, but I am just making sure to ask because there might be one person who had a freak accident, and if that's the case, I'm going to avoid it like the plague!
Have any naturals/transitioners experiences any changes in texture and color since using amla over time? I plan to use it once a month until I chop, which would be 6 times, so I would prefer to hear from those who have been using it for at least 6 months, I guess, just so I can know the long-term effects.
TIA Ladies! :grin:

katblack

I don't think amla typically changes the texture of ones hair permanently. I did not experience any texture changes. When the amla is on my hair my hair is stretch and the curl looks different then when normally weight because of the weight of the product. When I rinse my hair it pretty much goes back to its normal texture. It feel much more managable, but with no texture changes. For that matter henna doesn't change my texture either, but some will experience changes from ayurvedic products.

davisbr88

^^ What do you put in your amla mix? I saw the video for ShidaNatural's mix and think I want to try that. It was amla, brahmi and shikaika mixed with conditioner and oils.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I haven't used it that long. I wonder the same thing. It seems to condition my hair more than anything.

Fleurtzy who has Texture Playground blog does a lot of Amla treatments. Maybe you can send her a message. I think she's a member here too.

CarefreeinChicago

I mixed cassia obativa (sp) Alma and olive and coconut oil and hot water and what ever deep conditioner I had on hand. This reminds me I need some more. I will say this I had no breakage no shed hair in the comb when I did this.

Guitarhero

Amla typically causes curl in hair. If you're transitioning, I'd mix the amla with a conditioner to avoid drying out your hair.

alive

amla didn't do anything to my hair but then again, i only used it in my relaxed days and my hair was very damaged at the time but I have never heard of amla loosening anyone's hair texture. However, there is a pretty big thread somewhere on this board about using henna to loosen curls and strengthen hair