Best Hair Color for Gray Hair

prtybrwnis

Hello ladies!

I am in search of a good hair color for gray hair. I don't have a full head of gray, they are sprouting up more often. I have stuck with cellophanes for the past 3 years, but now am finding that they don't last on my gray hairs. I used the Clairol Advanced Gray Solution and that was wack! The color faded off of my grays after about 3 weeks. Jazzing has worked for me the best, but would still like to find something with more staying power.

I am even willing to go beyond a rinse if it is a good product being referred. Thanks in advance everyone for your help.

CaramelLites

My mom has prematurely gray hair and she uses the Clairol Beautiful Collection. Her color is gorgeous, she uses one of the blond shades. It looks like she has highlights.

JFemme

Oh noessss.

I picked up Clariol Advanced Gray Solution recently...:look:

(I'll be watching this thread)

msdeevee

I like the Clairol gray solutions for my edges.

Nothing really lasts that long on gray hair. I think if you get 3 weeks that's good.

What I do is I leave the Clairol on for much longer than the bottle says. I leave it on for at least an hour. I have not had any bad results from that since it doesn't contain ammonia. Doing that causes me to have a much stronger color saturation.

I would never recommend it to anyone else but that's what works for me.

The next choice is Bigen which I also leave on for longer than recommended.

JJamiah

I use Revlon Color Silk #10 and I love it, pic in my Siggy is that color!
Covers my little greys nicely!

Salsarisma

There was another thread on here about how great Bigen works too. I need to decide if I want highlights before taking the permanent plunge to cover my greys.

ycj1

What I have found is really good for my grays is Clairol Natural Instincts in Midnight Black! This color actually stays with me for about a month!

And it's non-permanent as well, so it's not as harsh on the hair as the permanent colors are! The no. is 36!

loved

Bumping

I want something that will last and will not damage my natural hair. Gray edges are coming in strong & they age me.

jcdlox

I started off using Clairol Beautiful Collection but it didn't last long enough for me (3 weeks). So I started using the Advance Gray formula which lasted longer but dried my hair out, then I developed a severe allergic reaction in my nape area which totally broke off. I stopped using it which took care of the problem. Now my stylist has used Joico demi-permanent on me once, we'll see how that works. The color has lasted longer (about 10 weeks) and it only irritated my nape area slightly. I'm hoping I can stick with it though because I am not ready for gray :nono:

cocosweet

I've finally decided that I'm going to color my grays. I'm probably 1% gray but it's coming in at the hairline and crown. I'm torn between Jazzing or Bigen. I want something fun like a pink or purple for the summer.

lana

If you are 4a/b don't use Jazzing or Bigen.

Years ago I used Jazzing and it just dried my hair out! Bigen has a texture affect that left my bangs like curly french fries. I'm serious. I only had like 5 gray hairs in the bang area and Bigen covers them well - BUT it left the hair "thicker" and "fried" looking. Even with great deep conditioning with heat.

Currently, I'm using Wella Demi-permanent that you have to mix with a solution. It does not contain ammonia, but it DOES contain peroxide. I texlax my hair, so I'm very careful. The color does not always take and when it does take it lasts about 2 weeks. But my hair grows fast, so that's new growth I'm seeing.

JamericanGurl

I can't seem to find anything but I need to stat because I greyed prematurely and my head is like at 40%. I started greying at 23. I look my age and I didn't use to :look:

reeko43

Hello ladies!

I am in search of a good hair color for gray hair. I don't have a full head of gray, they are sprouting up more often. I have stuck with cellophanes for the past 3 years, but now am finding that they don't last on my gray hairs. I used the Clairol Advanced Gray Solution and that was wack! The color faded off of my grays after about 3 weeks. Jazzing has worked for me the best, but would still like to find something with more staying power.

I am even willing to go beyond a rinse if it is a good product being referred. Thanks in advance everyone for your help.

I am about 45% gray. I dind't want to use a permanent color that I would have to get done at a shop (I don't do any chemical processes myself) and rinses would just slide off my natural gray hair in a week. The onlly thing that has worked for me is henna. I love the color and I have gotten so many compliments. I just touch up my new growth every 6 weeks. Not everyone wants reddish hair so they use indigo as well. I know some think that the process is too much for them but I love it.

bermudabeauty

I go to ulta and get my hair colored she used redken hair color. I have a base color and two highlight colors. The blonde disguises my grey as it grows in. See color with my hair straight and curly. I have grey in these pics but u cant really tell.

ForumRunner_20120626_101954.jpg

ForumRunner_20120626_102010.jpg

baddison

natural for good
I am about 45% gray. I dind't want to use a permanent color that I would have to get done at a shop (I don't do any chemical processes myself) and rinses would just slide off my natural gray hair in a week. The onlly thing that has worked for me is henna. I love the color and I have gotten so many compliments. I just touch up my new growth every 6 weeks. Not everyone wants reddish hair so they use indigo as well. I know some think that the process is too much for them but I love it.

I second this. Been a faithful "henna-head" since 2008. I don't even bother with the indigo. I'm almost 44 and my greys are nearly non-existent. I henna once a month - whole head - very faithfully. Since I am using the NUPUR henna (http://www.godrejnupur.com/newnupur.php#herbs ) , its not just color I'm getting, but also a great treatment of Indian herbs and powders. I don't mind the process once a month. I've actually gotten it down to about 20mins. For me, the results are worth it.:yep:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Henna.

Its great cuz lik pp said you can do the whole head each time. No worrying about overlapping and frying the hair. In fact, it makes it stronger

cocosweet

This time I went with Jazzing Fuschia Plum. I concentrated mostly on the crown and hairline, covered with plastic cap for about 30 minutes. It's okay. The greys are a faint pink color. I wanted something with more punch, but I'm less annoyed by my hair now.

I'll use henna when I want more natural looking colors. I want to do purple next. :look:

Cheleigh

Aveda permanent color does a great job on my grays (of which most of mine are unfortunately concentrated at my hairline's front. I get at least 12 week coverage, and I haven't had any noticeable damage or texture change from the color.

puffball

My mommy is gray..nothing seems to stay in her hair. She dyes it jet black. Do you ladies yhink she should try something lighter??

xu93texas

Interesting!! Keep the responses coming ladies. I get a black rinse every 6-8 weeks done by my stylist.

jcdlox

I started off using Clairol Beautiful Collection but it didn't last long enough for me (3 weeks). So I started using the Advance Gray formula which lasted longer but dried my hair out, then I developed a severe allergic reaction in my nape area which totally broke off. I stopped using it which took care of the problem. Now my stylist has used Joico demi-permanent on me once, we'll see how that works. The color has lasted longer (about 10 weeks) and it only irritated my nape area slightly. I'm hoping I can stick with it though because I am not ready for gray :nono:

Well I'm about to have the Joice color for the third time, it works well although it did irritate my nape area slightly. We just decided not to color that part since I have no gray there. Works well, lasts about 6-8 weeks and hasn't dried my hair out at all.