hair color allergy

jcdlox

Does anyone have a suggestion for dealing with allergy to haircolor other than henna? My stylist just used Joico demi perm and it is causing scalp irritation. Previous attempts with Clairol Beautiful Advanced gray caused severe reaction and hair loss. I'm looking for a way to cover gray.

cbanks67

All I know is that most people who color usually end having reactions because the chemicals in dyes are pretty harsh. I would say stop dying your hair bc the next time your reaction could be alot worse and look into a pure quality henna

jcdlox

thanks, its just strange that this is the first time color has caused a reaction on my scalp. I've had color many times before with no scalp issues. Now my hair dried up and broke off but that's a different issue :nono:

manter26

Aveda's color is supposed to be gentler than most but if you're having issues with dryness and breakage I would stay away from color. If you do decide to do anything, make sure you patch test.

Tiye

I say open your mind to henna. When combined with indigo you have a lot of options and you won't have to worry about damage. Hair loss is nothing to play around with.

laurend

I have a dye allergy. It's the PPD( paraphenylenediamine) that's in the dye and if it's listed as an ingredient you are going to have a reaction. I have to use henna and indigo because there isn't a black or brown dye that doesn't have PPD. If you use dye with PPD, you can lose your hair or your life. Don't play around.

Judwill07

I had a bad reaction to hair dye. It burned my front hairline. I think they are using cheaper quality chemicals and this is why more people are having issues that normally don't. (just my thought) I've been doing Henna for 7 months now...best thing ever for me. True it's messy and time consuming and the earthy smell, but it's much better than anything else I've tried.

jcdlox

I had a bad reaction to hair dye. It burned my front hairline. I think they are using cheaper quality chemicals and this is why more people are having issues that normally don't. (just my thought) I've been doing Henna for 7 months now...best thing ever for me. True it's messy and time consuming and the earthy smell, but it's much better than anything else I've tried.

I agree with you that the ingredients must be cheaper/poorer quality because there is an increase in the hair color market, so you know manufacturers are trying to cut costs/increase profits.