gray hair

prettygrl

I'm 25 and I'm getting gray hair. I have a streak of gray and some sprinkles here and there. I was thinking about permanent color- but I've heard it is damaging on relaxed hair. I've tried rinses, but it ends up looking like gold highlights-even when I use black and doesn't blend in w/ my hair. I have tried jazzing and clairol(gold/brown) bottle. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm getting depressed looking at it...

Ipanema

Hi, prettygrl. I'm only 26, and I'm probably about 15% gray. I don't color it, though, because I think it looks good. People are always confused about my age. But as far as coloring, I have an aunt who uses something called Bigen. It comes in an orange & white box and has a drawing of an Asian woman on it. It's a powder and it covers her gray pretty well.

G

I have strands here and there. I use a rinse and the weird thing is that some strands will reject the rinse. I don't want to do the permanent color because of the damage. I heard Bigen or one of the powered colors is very drying. I really don't have an answer.

Allandra

Girl, gray hair starts early in my family (on my Mom's side). I can't tell you how long I've had gray strands. I did my first hennalucent application on April 26. I used Sunset Glo (recommended to me by Zanna, who also has dark brown hair). I loved the result. It made my gray strands look like high lights. I plan on doing my second application on/near June 7 (again with Sunset Glo). Prior to using hennalucent, I was using Clairol's Beautiful Collection (warm dark brown) semi-permanent. It covered my gray, but since I shampoo my hair often, it rinsed out pretty fast.

lunalight7

The women in my family grey early as well. My mom greyed in her teens and now, at 34, I have tons of grey. I have blond highlights and some of the greys get disguised in them...however, what gets me is the texture of grey hair...really wiry...they dont behave or act like the rest of the hair...so they are more noticable when they spring up out of my head !!! I just pluck those bad boys out...although legend has it that three grow back in the place of one....
The Hennalucent sounds like the best option if you cant take it...

NAY007

prettygrl,

i have some gray hairs and i use bigen and it is great. so far i have used the oriental black which is a blue black and i have used the brown black. both times my hair came out very soft, shiny and moisturized. it is not drying at all. i have used henna before and that was drying as hell. but the bigen is worth a try. it will cover your gray hair up completely and it does not contain any chemicals at all. if you have any more questions feel free to pm me.

nay.

Sade7

Posner Rejuvatone is an excellent semi-permanent hair color, and it covers gray excellently. I have a gray streak and I've used Posner for about three years to cover it. Also the color lasts a very long time. I've also tried Bigen but I stopped using it because my hair was already damaged at the time, and it seemed drier.
Also, you may do some research on the Chinese herb Fo-ti or He Shou Wu, it is said to reverse gray hair, plus it is excellent for overall hair health. I take four capsules per day (about 2400 mg).
Good luck and keep me posted.

diamondlady

Ipanema had a good suggestion. I, too, have used Bigens and I think it's great. It's powder and you can use as much or as little as you need. It mixes with water and it lasts very good.

Try it, you'll probably like it.

aikaa71

Thank you prettygrl for starting this thread.Im 32 and was embarrassed to say that i have 3-5 gray hairs. I noticed that the apple cider vinegar (i use as a rinse) gives the grey hairs a reddish glow. I plan to use the bigen color when i take out my braids.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Posner Rejuvatone is an excellent semi-permanent hair color, and it covers gray excellently. I have a gray streak and I've used Posner for about three years to cover it. Also the color lasts a very long time. I've also tried Bigen but I stopped using it because my hair was already damaged at the time, and it seemed drier.
Also, you may do some research on the Chinese herb Fo-ti or He Shou Wu, it is said to reverse gray hair, plus it is excellent for overall hair health. I take four capsules per day (about 2400 mg).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read that 800IU of vitamin E daily is supposed to turn hair back to its natural color. I read this in a vitamin book.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
Im 32 and was embarrassed to say that i have 3-5 gray hairs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that all? Hmph. I wish I only had 3-5.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im 32 and was embarrassed to say that i have 3-5 gray hairs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that all? Hmph. I wish I only had 3-5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, girl!! Embarassed that she has 3-5?? That's a joke!!

Chipmunk

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also take Fo-Ti and it has helped the premature graying.

Crystal

I started graying also and I hate it...absolutely hate it. There's a section on the right side of my hair line that just gets grayer and gray and everytime I look at, I ask, "Why Me?" I'm 31 and greys are all over the place. I use the permenant clariol Tones And Textures because it has no amonia and it covers it just fine. But since I've been taking all these vits my hair is growing out of control and I literally had almost 1/2 inch of new growth(measured the grays) after only 2 weeks.

Semi-permenants Don't work for me. Sometimes when I'm tired of looking at the gray on my hairline I just take a toothbrush, put some colorshines on in and cover it up. That's a quick fix.

I'll also use that Just for men stuff that men use for their sideburns and mustaches... I just mix up a small batch and put on what I need and it works really good.

But man do I hate my grey hairs...just hate them.

G

I hate the greys because they are weird; wiry and out of control. Also, if your hair is very dark, getting a lot of them will cause persistent problems. I hope the FO-TI prevents them like someone said.

Crystal

What the hell, I might as well try the Fo-Ti too.. I had looked at it before and researched it but most reports said it reversed graying only in older test subjects 0% in younger people...

But maybe it will slow the grey down... I'll bite.. I'm a buy some today. *sigh*