Coloring Gray Hair-Sebastian's Colourshines

CynamonKis

Coloring Gray Hair-Sebastian\'s Colourshines

Has anyone found a gentle color that effectively colors gray? e.g., does Sebastian's Colourshines/Cellophanes do a good job of covering gray?

I always wondered whether gray could really only be effectively covered by PERMANENT hair color. One stylist told me she colored her client's gray w/permanent, and the rest of the hair w/semi-permanent.

For anyone who knows, please respond. Thanks.

free2bme

Re: Coloring Gray Hair-Sebastian\'s Colourshines

I did my mom's hair last night and she's about 75% grey. I used Sebastians in Coffeebean and it gave her excellent coverage.

fletgee

I have been using Colorshines to cover the gray in my hair. I find that this product does cover my hair from touch-up to touch-up (about every 6 weeks). I am highly allergic and sensative to products. I had not reaction from the use of Colorshines.The only thing I think you should be aware of is that when you wash your hair excess color does rinse out. The color has not stained my tub or towels. /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robin41

I used Clairol Beautiful in dark brown over the weekend and I thought I saw a gray this morning! Overall it did a good job of coverage and looks really natural. I'm wearing my hair up in a drawstring ponytail so I can't really comment on the hue until I comb it down and can see my whole head.

I think I'd rather suffer with the gray hair than use permanent color on my hair again. It's so damaging and drying to my hair. If the semi-perm color doesn't work, I'll just grow gray gracefully. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fletgee

Hi Robin
A question for you about Beautiful Browns. I used to use it after my touch-up. However, when I would shampoo my hair about 4 days later it would all come out and my gray showed. So it only lasted for that 4 days. Have you ever experienced this?? /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Allandra

I use Clairol's Beautiful Collection (semi-permanent rinse in dark brown) to cover my gray. It's gentle, and it contains aloe vera, jojoba oil and vitamine e. It does not contain ammonia or peroxide. After I apply the color to my hair, I cover my hair with a clear plastic cap and sit under a warm dryer for about 20 minutes. I let is cool down all the way, and then I rinse it out. I usually do this once a month. By using heat, it takes longer to wash/rinse out.

NAY007

i am a true fan of bigen hairpowder since it is natural and won't damage your hair. it will wash out after 2-3 months but it is not that expensive and you can get it done again. it will make your hair look so healthy, shiny and soft. i absolutely love it. and it covers gray hair, yup (i have like 5 strands in the front too, and i hate them /images/graemlins/mad.gif)

Robin41

Fletgee, if you have some grays, you know those strands only exist to annoy you and they do whatever they want to do. They are extremely hard to color, especially with a semi-permanent color. I just did mine on Sunday and probably won't get a chance to shampoo again until Friday so I'll let you know how much coverage I have then.

This is my first time using Clairol so I don't know how long it will last. Right now I have no grays showing so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Robin41

Allandra, I also used the dark brown and sat under the dryer for about 20 minutes. Hopefully this will help me retain the color a little longer.

The dark brown looks really natural on me. I think next time I'd use the medium brown for a more noticeable change.

Allandra

Dark brown is my natural hair color. I really doubt if I'll venture out and try a different color. I just want to keep my few gray strands covered without anyone noticing a color change. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CynamonKis

Allandra--thank you for this info and I am going to try your method. I in fact DO have the Beautiful semi-permanent color in Amethyst and found it didn't cover the gray but I will try it again using YOUR method to see if I get better results because I love the gentleness.

Nay007--I tried the Bigen and it covered the gray better than anything I've tried (besides permanent color which I want to shy away from). But DANGGG the Bigen broke my hair off. Thankfully I only used it where I had gray....