Beauticians and their prices when based on your length

Bubblingbrownshuga

First, lemme put this disclaimer out there raat na:

I understand beauticians must make their money, they have bills to pay, product prices increase, yadda yadda yadda. I still want to know your opinion on this issue though.

Okay, do you ladies believe that it's unfair to charge a client based on the length/thickness of the hair AND in some unheard of situations, the cirumference of one's head? I remember once a young lady I knew was desiring to get her hair styled and the beautician told her she would charge for this particular style based on the shape of her head? :huh: And no, she doesn't have a gigantic sized dome :lachen:I am speaking of beauticians that don't have a scale, but once they see your hair they 'estimate' on the spot how much they may charge and even then they seem to second guess their first quote.

I recently went to get a consultation on my hair by a stylist. I just wanted simple box braids- that's it. I had my hair tied up in a high bun and the lady was hesitant to take it down to see my hair. You would've thought I had dookie on my hair or something. I noticed her hesitancy and I asked her would it be a problem with her doing my hair. She said no, but she still sounded hesitant. She quoted me $100 for box braids... with my own hair. She felt like it would take too much time and the amount of money she would receive from 2 clients in that time would be missed and I should 'make up' her time. I asked would it be better for me to wash and blow dry my hair out so she wouldn't have to do so much. She said it would still be $100 b/c of the length and thickness. She mentioned a young lady's hair who was shoulder length and she charged her $85 for block braid. My hair is not tedious to handle at all as long as you treat it with tlc. I quizzed her on how she would proceed to style my hair if I came to her and I didn't like her response of combing my hair out BEFORE washing to get rid of dead hair. Honestly, I was a bit discouraged that she wasn't a bit more professional about my hair. I joked with her about cutting it off to get a better price:lachen:

Anyway, I feel like such a burden when I step in some beauty shops. I've had beauticians (when I was relaxed and now that I am natural) decide not to style my hair b/c of it's length and thickness. I remember vividly walking in a salon with about 5 beauticians and they all gave me the :perplexed look. I am sure they didn't pass me up b/c they felt they would damage my hair, but they did b/c they didn't feel like dealing with it and would make be 'pay' (no pun intended).

I guess I could understand their quotes a bit more if they actually had something visual for me to work with, ie a scale describing a base price for the average and adding $5 per each 2 inches of hair. This to me is more professional than pulling a price out of thin air.

What do you all think?

Lucky's Mom

I think it is ridiculous.

This has happened to me a few times - ad that is why I braid my ow hair.
They want to braid 2 inches of hair.... not mine.............

"white" salons charge the same prices, no matter the length of hair. ( I have been to a few with my mom )

Yet ANOTHER reason I don't go to shops.

Last edited:

JustKiya

They do it, because people pay for it - it's a business.

Do I think it's 'fair'? *shrug* I don't know - what do you mean by 'fair'? If they had a hourly price scale, people would be fussing about that too (I remember a thread not all that long ago where someone was throwing a small fit over the fact that JCPenny's salon instituted a flat 60.oo/hour price). Is it fair to expect a child's head and an adults head to cost the same? No, I don't think so - so how is it any less fair for them to charge an adult with more hair more than they do an adult with less hair? *shrug*

I don't know.

I wouldn't pay it, but then, I don't really like paying other people to do what I can do, and I don't really trust other people in my hair, period - so, I guess it comes down to whether you think that the price they want to charge for doing your head is a price you are willing to pay. If it's more than you are comfy with - walk away, walk away. If enough people walk away, they'll either change their price or they'll come up with a more 'clear' way to define their pricing scale.

fluffylocks

I always thought they might have the feeling the woman with the long hair might be very picky/pain in the ***. But i know i would be excited to do some long hair :ohwell:

But, i think its very unfair to charge someone extra money for a service like that.....if they want to do that, i think it should be posted on the wall with everything else...$5 extra dollars SL-APL, $10 extra APL-BSL.....something like that.

Also, if thats the case imo it feels like someone with really damaged hair would have to be charged because it takes more time as well as someone with long

That would give me furhter motive to just to my hair at home if i ran inot that everywhere SMH

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I don't see the problem with charging more. A person with long hair BSL-MBL) would probably use more heat and product than someone with is SL. Bigger/longer in any situation always cost more. Would your maid charge you the same rate to clean your studio versus another person's 3-bedroom home?

I don't think a person should pull stuff out of their butt either. Since it is her business she should have something to show you how she came to that price.

fluffylocks

I don't see the problem with charging more. A person with long hair BSL-MBL) would probably use more heat and product than someone with is SL. Bigger/longer in any situation always cost more. Would your maid charge you the same rate to clean your studio versus another person's 3-bedroom home?

I don't think a person should pull stuff out of their butt either. Since it is her business she should have something to show you how she came to that price.

Thats true, i bet its probally more so the attitude sometimes. I was sitting in the chair once and a woman came in with hair to her Bra, and everyone was frowning at her, and right off the jump the women said in a negative tone/attitude "its going to cost more", like the woman should have said "oh sorry, nevermind"......And that probally makes it seems like they have some resement for your hair, are not going to do a good job, and are going to be unprofessional about the additonal costs.

I know if a maid looked around my house frowning and said its going to cost more and i didnt see any rates anywhere/she was just assessing the cost based on how she was feeling, i would be like nevermind LOL

ladylibra

if you have a set scale, yes i understand. but to make up stuff on the spot? um, no. i had an African braider try to pull that crap on me way back when i first started transitioning. the Senegalese braids i wanted would be $180, i had my hair in a bun at the time... and made the mistake of asking her how long would it take to braid hair as long as mine to a few inches past the ends. i took my hair down from the bun so she could see the length and she was like :nono: "i have to charge you more cuz your hair is too long." wtf - too long? i asked her how much more, and she suddenly the price jumped up to at least $250. aw HAYLE naw. i told her i'd come back and get braids after i cut all my relaxed hair off... she had the nerve to look at me and ask, "why would you want to cut your hair, that's crazy!" all i could think was, it may be crazy, but it's definitely CHEAPER! :lachen:

and the salon i go to (rarely, but still) charge by length at set prices. they have all kinds of people with all kinds of hairtypes in that place whenever i go. so i know up front what the cost will be before they even think about shampooing my hair. :yep:

Last edited:

PassionFruit

someone I know went to a salon.. she has 2a hair.. not even 2 inches long very thin due to illness.. almost looks like she has been thru chemo... she doesnt even have hair long enough to put a barrette on... but she wanted it styled...

basically the girl washed her hair... shaved the sides down with clippers and put 2 finger waves in the front

$120

WTF?????

MonPetite

Yes and No.

Obviously thicker/longer hair takes more product and time. However, to correct for 4a/b-Hair-Freak-Out there needs to be a set scale in place based on length or time.

To see MBL 2a hair and charge less than MBL 4abcdefghi hair because the stylist does not know how to treat it and has prejuices subconscious or otherwise against it (it'll take to long, it's too thick, its coarse) is NOT FAIR. :nono:

It is penalizing people with a "Certain" hairtype...say...afro-textured. :ohwell:

I should NOT have to pay more for, essentially, being Black. :blush:

Sorry.

Not going to happen.

Expand your expertise...I just need a wider comb and more conditioner not semi-divine inervention! :wallbash:

I respect people need to make money.

I truly do.

HOWEVER, you need a fair scale for all.

Besides, many ladies with thick, long hair are VERY loyal to stylists who treat their hair and their wallet with care.

I think any of us stylist or otherwise know how important LOYAL customers are to keep your book full for months to come!! :yep:

turnergirl

This happens to me all of the time. I only have half as much hair as you and it happens. That is why my hair has not been styled in a salon in 4 years. Last year around my birthday, I wanted some box braids done on my own hair and the stylist refused so I did my own.

I can't say if it is far or not, I just rather have a price list indicating an increase based on length, so I will not feel like I am getting ripped off. I also want a stylist to be excited about working with my hair not reluctant.

caramelcutieinva

when I was younger I remember my mom paying extra for my hair getting done. They charge more for extra shampoo, conditioner, and time. My hair was mid back length and thick.

When I tried to find a stylist down here most of them looked and my hair and went ummm .... for you it would be this much :lachen:I got quoted really high prices for conrows.

My current stylist doesn't charge me more for any services. I do tip though. :grin:

KiniKakes

Do I think it's fair? Yes. :yep:
Do I like it? NO!!!! :wallbash:

But i do think it takes more work/time/product to wash and style hair that is longer/thicker than hair that is shorter/thinner.

However, i DONT like the idea of random #s being pulled out of their a$$ based on their mood that day. :ohwell: There really needs to be one standard "short-haired price" and one standard "long-haired price." This is what they do at my Dominican salon. And long hair is defined by anything longer than shoulder length (although if u ask me, the stylists are still very subjective with this).

balisi

As a stylist, I don't charge more for length or thickness, although some of my clients have four heads of hair that do require more time. However, I do charge for any extra chemical product required to complete a service, such as color or relaxer. Nothing hidden or arbitrary about it, it's all upfront.

cmw45

I think this is interesting because its based on the idea that everyone has short hair.

drasgrl

But i do think it takes more work/time/product to wash and style hair that is longer/thicker than hair that is shorter/thinner.

I can certainly understand this. If someone walked in with hair to the floor that's a whole bottle of conditioner for one person (I'm exaggerating) but I can see how some heads take more time and energy.

Pricing on head size? That's ridiculous. I mean come on how many Neanderthals do you see walking around these days?

GoldenBreeze

Although I don't go to stylists, I think it would be fair as long as it is stated in writing along with all other services. I would not be willing to pay a spur of the moment-off the top of your head price though. That just is not going to work for me.

Barbara

Princess
Most stylist do not like to do long hair, :wallbash: because its more work and they aren’t suppose to charge more, :nono: but some do.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
If it's posted/established beforehand exactly what the extra charge will be, then it's cool. But if they were to spring it on me, it would seem like they were suddenly making it up because they had to put in extra effort. I wouldn't like that.

ResultsMayVary

I don't have long hair but I have very thick hair .. I've been charged extra plenty of times for the thickness of my hair. I'm used to hearing "you don't have long hair but you got a lot of hair" :nono: .. Some microtwists were supposed to be 80 and I was charged 130 :wallbash:

20Pearls_Girl

I think its fair for stylists to charge for more longer lengths, thickness or texture. It takes more time, attention and product so the prices IMO are warrented. Now for those stylist who impose outragous differences must be shunned. However, I agree with a slight increase because of the aforementioned variables.

nadine1977canada

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a the same stuff happen to me as a child. We searced high and low for people to braid my hair. I have been trhough so many stylist when i was in elementary school its not even funny!

Every single one that i had would never give a price and only estimate when they saw me in person. Well Some of them did even worst!!!

...Many stylist charged by the braid!!!! So there I was about 6 to 7 years old. the stylist would start braiding my hair. She would do about 5 braids and disspear for what seemed an eternity only to re appear with her friends. So next thing you know I would have up to five people braiding. Heck some of her friend would just walk in the salon out of the blue...Heck I thought they were clients. But nope! they would walk braid 3 for braids and leave:spinning:.

Final price usually varied between 500 to 600. I didnt even have armpit lenght back then. They claim the thickness of my hair was the reason why they had to call back up. I didn't beleive them back then and I dont today:nono:.

Last edited:

pisceschica

I dont think its unfair because it is more work and most times takes longer than someone with shoulder length hair that is medium/light density.

Its especially not unfair if they quote you BEFORE they perform the service so that you can make your decision there instead of having sticker shock not knowing they had those extra charges.

pisceschica

More time = More $$$

I work it a "White" salon and they do charge more $$ depending on the person's hair.

Yup its not just AA. If someone comes in with straight hair that is shoulder lenght or shorter its $5 extra on top of hair cut. If that person has hair past their shoulder its an extra $15 if its past the middle of their back about $20.

Curly hair hair girls (black white asian etc) all get charged more b/c it takes more time. We dont' charge for produts its more for time.

Like I said as long as its clearly defined as what is meant by short medium long hair and the prices are up for everyone to see I think its fair. Anytime someone asks for a quote over the phone we always say it starts at XX and that long/curly hair charges apply. The sign in the shop that posts the prices clearly states long hair charges apply.

I ALWAYS make it a point to quote someone so that I don't waste my time (b/c in SOME instances if we don't quote them beforehand they can get it free) and they don't get sticker shot.

justsimply

I think it's fair. I think we pay for the "block" of time we use. And if length, thickness and/or texture causes the beautician to take more time....

But I am a true believer that when possible naturals should find natural hairstylist/salons, not just someone who can do natural hair. They are used to dealing with natural hair (which is often thicker) and it doesn't take as much time...they've become efficient at what they do due to experience.

Mortons

I don't think its fair, but the fact that it happens just reinforces the idea that I need to do everything myself :ohwell: