Things you Hate that Beauticians Do?

henrilou

Oh MY GOD people are staring at me I am laughing so hard

"Koreans will tell you up front if 'you look beat-up' or their favorite phrase 'that's not your color'."

That is SO TRUE. I used to buy my weave hair at a Korean shop, and let me tell you they are FEARLESS with their opinions (and usually correct).

Pet Peave: the stylist scares you into getting serviced. "OH my god your hair will fall out tonight if I don't deep condition it --for $20 extra---. I have been hooked by that so many times. Or they tell me how seriously damaged it is and I let them cut or whatever only to go home mad at myself...

Devonte's mommy

This is a great topic. I could go on and on. lol
1. Scissor happy stylist of course.
2. I asked a stylist if she knew how to do this one style for my boyfriends homecoming. Even showed her a pic, told her it was ok if she didn't know how. She still proceeded to tell me yes she did. Needless to say , my hair was jacked up, I had to re do it and bought a weave ponytail and did my hair myself.
3. Stylists that try to make you go bald even when you tell them the relaxer is burning a hole into you brain. (Luckily I only went through this once, when I was 14)
4. Stylist that love to be late especially when you have a special occasion to go to. I was getting ready for bf's prom and there was 1 girl ahead of me. Our appt. were at 9 and 10. She came in around 12. I waited because i had no one to do my head at the last minute. I made this appt a month in advance. Then she wanted to take all day. She put me under a dryer , and proceeded to tell me that my hair wasn't dry, I told her, i don't care i have to go. That made her do my hair very quickly. Did i forget to add that they were changing buildings for the hair salon so they had just cold water on.
4. I also can't stand those stylist that overlap relaxers. Or say my hair is too thick so they want to leave the relaxer on real long. Needless to say, I told them well, my hair is thick and it is going to stay that way.
Oh i am going on
I'm done for now
lol
Jackie

G

My hairdresser has ISSUES!!!! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

When she does my hair, the radio is always on in there! That's not bad since I like music, but her SINGING! GRIEF! Sounds like a gremlin singing opera! She needs to cut it out, but I think she thinks she can actually sing. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

One time, someone turned the radio off! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif She walked to the middle of the floor and said in a confrontational manner to the other stylist that she assumed did it,

"WHO cut the radio off??"

That other stylist said,

"WHO ARE YOU TALKING TO???" /images/graemlins/mad.gif

I thought that was the end for my stylist. I would have to call 911 for her and everything! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MissM

I am sick and tired of the lack of acknowledgment of MY time. Why should we have to accept that 3-6 hours is the normal time we will spend getting our hair done?

When I moved up here I found a stylist in Detroit that everyone was just raving about and he was a guy. I gave him three strikes. The first two strikes were when I called up one day to confirm my appointment, for the same day, mind you, only to be told that he was not even in on that day. Oh, and yes, they did have my phone number where they could have called me and told me! I reschedule for his first appt at 7:30am that Saturday only to walk in there and find out he was not even there (came in at 10am-no lie) and there were 3 women there with the same appt time in addition to the ones scheduled after us.

The third and final was when I went in to get long bangs cut and was charged $60. Yep, ya heard me. And that included layers cut I didn't even ask for.

I'm also tired of raggedy looking salons. All that money they are making and the shop looks like hell. I'm tired of all the unprofessionalism-especially talking about other customers and getting upset at customers because they are upset at waiting so long.

I was kicking nearly $90 a month for biweekly visits to get a wash and curl, which included no deep conditioning or leave in conditioner when blow drying my hair. Oh, and did I mention they were using green Bergamont hair grease-hell, I didn't know they still made that crap!

I am done with hair salons for good. I just can't take it anymore. Going to the salon to get your hair done should be a treat, not a chore. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Kiadodie

My cousin recommended I get my hair cut by this guy in Maryland, right? Not only did I get a hair cut but also got the worse headache in my life. He was rubbing, playing, flipping my hair every which way like my head wasn't attached to it. OH I was sooo mad /images/graemlins/mad.gif My scalp was sore for a whole week. I couldn't even comb or touch it.

rayne

I hate it when you show a stylist a pic of the style you want. They either tell you that they can do it or they tell you that they have a "better" style in mind, but when they're finished not only does it NOT look like the style you wanted, but it doesn't even flatter your face /images/graemlins/mad.gif

You find a stylist that's into healthy hair, but yet the fire up the curling irons, overload the hair with spritz, detangle from the top down, and use the blowdryer on superhot while they rip your hair out from the roots

They work on 5 peoples heads at the same time, then try to justify your wait by saying that your hair isn't dry yet even though you've been sitting under the dryer forever

They burn you with the curling iron and don't apologize or try to act like it's your fault....like you grew an ear out of nowhere

They trim your hair even though you didn't ask them to. I had one lady to put my hair in a french roll with some bangs and some hair hanging down in the back. When she was finished, she took it upon herself to "trim" the hair that was haning down. So, when I took the french roll down, my hair was 2 different lengths because of her "trim"

Jenai

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
you stylist gets very comfortable with you and has you running errands for her all over town and even taking her car to get an oil change and a wash...even though she may do your hair free for your trouble you do all of that work with conditioner and a plastic jerry curl cap on your head.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know that one, girl. The first time I got a sew-in weave, my stylist sent me out twice to run erands for her - with half of the weave sewed in. The first was to get more thread from the Rite Aid next door. The second time was to get her some lunch from McDonald's across the street, "oh, if you want to go on and get soemthing you can 'cause I gotta eat something."

Nyambura

surfer girl
They work on 5 peoples heads at the same time, then try to justify your wait by saying that your hair isn't dry yet even though you've been sitting under the dryer forever

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, do I know that one! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif My biggest pet peeve, though, is when stylists I've gone to urge me to get a particular style or chemical process done that will irreparably damage my hair, just so they can make another $ /images/graemlins/mad.gif

And - my stylist just said she is raising her price to $125 for touchups /images/graemlins/shocked.gif...I don't care if she's good at it and gets me out in under an hour - that's too much money just for a couple of inches. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

henrilou

Oh my ears pricked up when I heard that one: $125 for a touch up? Are you kidding? And what does that include?? That is the craziest thing.

I said before and I agree--I hate when stylists try to scare you into services--like if you don't get a trim your hair will fall out this very night....

This is a great thread, because I thought I was alone here..

Nyambura

surfer girl
Oh my ears pricked up when I heard that one: $125 for a touch up? Are you kidding? And what does that include?? That is the craziest thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I was kidding! /images/graemlins/blush.gif Of course nothing else is included with that. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Even if I was a millionaire, I still wouldn't pay that much - sheesh! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif ...it's the principle involved. Too bad Minnesota isn't like New York, where there are a number of affordable, competent stylists to choose from. &lt;sigh&gt;. So the hunt continues....

Integrity

maybe we should print this thread off and send them (perhaps anonnymously) off to our stylists by post. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif
its for their own good!

Integrity

ha! my mum was telling me on the fone last nite how her recently ex hairdresser would slap hair gel in her hair, smooth it into a ponytail and put her under a HOT HAIRDRYER for at least 15 mins. a fake ponytail would then be attached and then sheen-sprayed!! can u imagine the results?? well, the hair leading up to the ponytail would be hard as a rock, with a soft, flowing fake ponytail following close behind!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif 'hello! breakage!!!'

ms_kenesha

Why do I see this STYLE all the time. Does anyone watch P.Diddy's Making the Band on MTV ? The girl Mysterious needs to seriously lighten up on the gel in her "bang".

Bubbly

Re: \"Mysterious\"

I think that's the girl's name in the picture. She's a rapper and actually pretty talented, considering I don't much care for rap. Her "bang" reminds me of this skit on MadTV, where Debra Wilson stars as "Bunifa Halifah Sharifa Latifah Jackson" and she always gets a huge attitude whenever someone asks her a question. She subsequently responds with adjusting her "bang" before going off on the poor victim.

Oh, my...
<font color="green">Calista</font color>
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Re: \"Mysterious\"

Heheheheee! MadTV is hillarious.

Anywayz, I like gel! Especially for my curly updos. They help my style last longer. I try to use it as little as possible though. It's quite gross washing the stuff out. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

TwistNMx

E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!!

Especially all mentioned above. There's not enough room to describe it. However, here's the top hates:
When beauticians:
1. Order food and take a break while your hair is still wet.

2. Ghetto salons...(disrespectful and catty gossip / uncivilized people)
That's right!
3. Cutting your hair (and uneven) instead of giving a trim as requested.

4. Eating finger food while doing your hair. (why can't they schedule lunch)

5. Several people with same appts. (Greedy stylists who have no consideration for your time, just the bucks).

6. Talking on the phone while doing chemical treatments (I got damage this way).

7. Doing more services than you require without your permission and then charging more at the end of services (such as so-called extra special conditioners).
8. They decide in spite of your requests to slather tons of gel on your hair and then say "oh but it looks so good that way".
9. When in the stylist chair, other people are simply allowed to come up to you impulsively to touch your hair.:mad"
10. When they assume that after the lowsy service they give, that you will make an appointment every week and tell you that's the only way you will have healthy hair.
11. I actually had a stylist tell me that it's good for the scalp to be sore when they insist on straightening it only to burn your scalp making it sore. Well, 6 months later I have scalp problems!

...and to think they expect a nice tip.
Like I said everything mentioned above (in previous posts as well) covers it all...I think

As I always say, the best hairdresser is myself. I know my hair better than anyone, and what I like.
#11 was the very LAST stylist I ever will try to trust again...coupled with all of the very bad experiences I've had.
Thanks to all on the LHCF...I've gotten better advice here, and my hair responds beautifully!!!

Oh, there's more...but I mustn't go on!

ineedmoney

1.hate when they say mess like good hair or bad hair
2. i hate when i pay my money for a press and curl and the mess starts to frizz by the time i hit the door
4. tight briads! ouch
3.i hate when my homie does my braids and by the time she is done we hate each other so much we are temporarily erased form each others futures.lol

katie

My last stylist was like "All the young black university girls come to me"
She then pulls out this huge tub of generic relaxer and starts working away on me.

Now this is where I got scared...her daughter comes in and the girl looks like she just got shocked!!Dry,Crispy hair all over the place!!!
Needless to say I was horrified and my hair turned out awwwwwwwwful and with a ton of breakage.
So it was the first and last time she ever saw me or my money again.

If I see a black girl on campus now with crazy fried hair I always wonder if she goes to that stylist.

melodee

Re:

I hate:
1. When stylists try to sell you MaryKay, vitamins, cheap jewelry,pocketbooks, or scarves while you're in the chair. I spend enough money on my hair. I don't need to pay $10 for a scarf I could get at the Asian store for $1.50

2. When they make you wait over 5 minutes without acknowledging you by saying hello when you arrive.

3. When they make you wait over 10 minutes before bringing you to the chair. (I used to wait hours. Never again!)

4. When they hand you over to another stylist or the shampoo girl to comb you out cause they are taking too long with another client's weave. (And then you're expected to tip your stylist and the shampoo girl.)

5. When they switch up the once quality products they HAD been using with some cheap stuff. I caught mine trying to substitute my perm with some no name stuff and still wanted to charge the same price.

6. When they keep a dirty station.

7. When they act like they own your hair and they style it the way they want to style it.

I could go on and on...

LisaG

I hate it when they over book, because of their greed. Also hate when they get their assistant do major work like applying relaxer (touch up) and putting tracks (glue). I so hate that

G

I don't know how I missed this thread first time around, but.... my worst pet peeve is when a stylist has you sit under the dryer in rollers (heat turned up to DEVIL, mind you) and after your hair is dry as a bone they take you to their chair and put a hot curling iron on your hair
"WHAT'S UP W/DAT?"

Robin41

In no particular order:

1. Overbooking
2. Overbooking
3. Overbooking

I would deal with all the other gripes mentioned on this thread if a stylist would simply respect my time and get me out of there as soon as possible. And that goes for the doctor's office, dentist, job interviews, car mechanics, cable guy, etc. Respect my time!

EXSQUISIT

[ QUOTE ]
This is a good topic. I absolutely detest hair shops that have signs posted, "NO Children, unless being service." YET, the stylists' children are running around ALL over the place! I'm like could you lead by example please.

Just had to vent!

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly...my current stylist is great and a wonderful person, and i have no complaints about the way she relaxes my hair, but dang. there are usually all her kids ( about 7 girls) all their children, and their spouses, sig others in the shop while i'm there. man....all that screaming and running around about drives me mad
i go to the salon for a relaxer and a break from my own kids but no.......i gotta hear screaming and crying anyway.

EXSQUISIT

[ QUOTE ]

They make a minimun of $55 dollars on one head but expects everyone to watch "JERRY SPRINGER" on that raggy a** t.v. that has a clothes hanger for an antenna and you can hardly make out the people on the show so you can only listen to it!!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
or they dont have a tv at all and just hum in your ear while they style u.

azul11

LMAO
THIS thread is too funny. one of the things i hate is when i book an appointment for 12pm but am not leaving the shop till 7 and all i was getting is a touchup. its crazy to book someone and when they get there you are working on someone else's head and then you overbook and have different customers who are after me that you tend to while i am still in rollers. its ridiculous. God bless you all.