Fed up with Beauticians!

cheche

I needed a hair trim and went to the beauty shop to get it done Saturday. Thought I'd pamper myself nails, hair, ya know. I told her I just needed a trim wash/set. She went on and on about my ends and that they needed to be evened out but I said "just a trim". Why is it that she took it upon herself to cut at least 3 to 4 inches of my hair. That is not a trim! My hair was bra strap length.

I was furious with her. Since joining LHCF I rarely go to her, but have been taking care of my own hair at home. she made comments on how much longer and thicker it had gotten, and wanted to know why I rarely come to her anymore. Now I question her motives, if it had gotten so much longer and thicker why would she cut my hair instead of trim it?

I shoulda known by the way her own hair looked, that I couldnt trust her with mine-thats my bad I guess. Now I have to regrow what she chopped off. Disgusted.

shunta

Ooh that makes me so angry!! Why did she have to go and cut that much if she said it was healthy!!:mad:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
That's what I'm afraid of...scissor happy stylist. If I were you, I wouldn't have paid for it. Next time, take before and after pics, and get a recorder so that you could record telling her what you want....that way if she cuts off MUCH more than she should, then you have the evidence as to why you don't have to pay. It may be too much to do, but it's a thought.

It's sad that we clients would have to go to that extreme just to get a trim.

I hate that this happened to you! I've gone through this a million times! From now on, when you go to get a TRIM, ask to be facing the mirror and make sure you have an understanding about how much she should cut. Be upfront. Let her know that if she cuts more than you ask, you will not pay her.

cheche

You are all so right, I should have faced the mirror so I could see what she was doing. It could be just me cause I was so mad, but afterwards she seemed happy and kinda katty about it. She may be mad cause she's not getting that $35.00 every other week a piece, I used to pay her for me and my daughters hair. But thanks to this site, I dont have to anymore.

Come to think of it I have never seen her own hair, and theres probably a good reason for it.

winterinatl

All natural!
cheche said:
You are all so right, I should have faced the mirror so I could see what she was doing. It could be just me cause I was so mad, but afterwards she seemed happy and kinda katty about it. She may be mad cause she's not getting that $35.00 every other week a piece, I used to pay her for me and my daughters hair. But thanks to this site, I dont have to anymore.

Come to think of it I have never seen her own hair, and theres probably a good reason for it.
I got played like this once, had my bangs cut back clear to top of my crown, and the "trim" was a horrid, uneven CHOP. And of course I was not facing the mirror.

I really hate that happened to you.

After I finished beauty school, I knew how beauticians were. They cut your hair on purpose because it looks better than theirs or they will put a product in it that they know will damamge it just because they are envious. :mad: :mad: OOh don't even get me started:mad: because I can tell some stories about how the beauty students would mess up the clients hair on purpose.

Tee

Yeah, I have been gotten too. I was so upset but I am growing it back. Sorry this happened to you.

Soleado

Blackbird77 said:
Nobody needs to cut off 3-4 inches to even anything up.

I have never understood this reasoning as well. My hair grows unevenly, my mom said that I have been that way even as a child. The back grows in a V shape, so to try to cut my hair even is a complete waste of time. A good stylist knows how to cut/trim in order to make your blend in together without it all having to be even. Sounds like a good cover she made, just to cut a good portion of your hair off. 3-4 inches is a lot!

Mahalialee4

Ladies> I do not understand this business about stylists turning your back to the mirror. Why would a stylist do that when they are about to cut your hair?....in other words....forget what they are saying...watch what they DO! Obviously...they do NOT WANT YOU TO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT THEY ARE DOING! So when they start to turn your chair...stop them right there...tell them, I prefer to face the mirror...just that simple...and what are they going to do,...forbid you, smack you...cuss you....? anyway, that little act of just presumptiously turning you around with out a request on your part, or your permission is called "taking charge of the client....asserting your authority as a stylist...leaving the client in ignorance and blind to what is happening. They are reducing you from a grown adult with power to a helpless little girl...IT IS A POWER MOVE!!!!!Don't fall for this!

taraglam2

Dang it ! Sorry to hear this happened. Again I also had a scissor happy stylist prior to LHCF and I always wondered why she said she had to "cut" my hair every 4 weeks. Kept me at ear / chin length for almost 2 straight years !

InJesusName

I am so sorry this happened to you. It is so sad that we can't just all get along!!!!!!!!!

How about this... I saw my old stylist at the mall last weekend ( I haven't seen her in six months) and she just kept staring at my hair in amazement. I wanted to ask her why she could not get my hair to grow.

Maybe we should start a thread to find a stylist that has long healthy hair that won't hate on us and cut ours off!!!

Hareitiz

Sorry this happened to you. If happened to me too. My stylist kept telling me for a year and a half that my hair was healthy and I went to her every two weeks, then told me a month ago that she needed to cut off a lot of my hair because it was so damaged and it had been damaged for over a year! She cut off about 3-4 inches too! WHY DIDNT SHE DO THIS A LONG TIME AGO!!?!? She could have avoided cutting off so much if she would have been doing her job.:mad:

cheche

Mahalialee4 said:
Ladies> I do not understand this business about stylists turning your back to the mirror. Why would a stylist do that when they are about to cut your hair?....in other words....forget what they are saying...watch what they DO! Obviously...they do NOT WANT YOU TO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT THEY ARE DOING! So when they start to turn your chair...stop them right there...tell them, I prefer to face the mirror...just that simple...and what are they going to do,...forbid you, smack you...cuss you....? anyway, that little act of just presumptiously turning you around with out a request on your part, or your permission is called "taking charge of the client....asserting your authority as a stylist...leaving the client in ignorance and blind to what is happening. They are reducing you from a grown adult with power to a helpless little girl...IT IS A POWER MOVE!!!!!Don't fall for this!

So true,
a large percentage of stylists do this practice immediately once you sit down and state what you want. Only turning you around to face the mirror once they are finished with your hair, but in my case it was too late. A dirty tactic in my opinion but NEVER again. I shoulda known she was a hater, when I told her about what I've learned from this board, she dispelled most of the info and had a rebuttal for everything (just ignut). She still believes hair has to be cut every 6 weeks in order to grow. I could kick myself for this.

tenderheaded

Oh girl I feel for you:perplexed Yes, it's only hair. But, it's YOUR hair. One stylist gave me a cut after a virgin relaxer then cut me again 3 weeks later:mad: That was the last time she touched my hair.

You have learned an ugly truth. Try Super Cuts next time. I plan to use a barber when I get my trim. And I'm telling him up front no money it it ain't right!!!

Mizani_Mrs

I've had this done a trillion times by my old stylist. But after searching for closure by trying to find a reasonable explanation to why she cut my hair so short... i have come to this realization. Since i was not knowledgeable of haircare, yes it is possible that I needed my hair to be evened up. BUT the term 'evened up' is very subjective. As a stylist, she should ask questions to get an understanding of how 'even' i want it...and not just assume that I'm okay with a 4inch cut in order to obtain a perfectly even blunt cut. My idea of 'even up' was maybe .50 - .75inch to eliminate chewed up ends, while still having a naturally uneven look to it. (which simply means cutting off the ends that are waaaay longer than the rest, while still having the ends somewhat naturally thinner than the hair, which is how i now trim myself.) And i can also blame myself, for not saying so and visually showing her, to make sure we are clear . I think this is the disconnect between stylists and us. So keep that in mind going forward.
Oh and Balisi who is a member here and a stylist also told me that some stylists will turn the chair around so that their hand is closer to their supplies that they are working with. So i'm trying to be nicer about it...not all stylists are evil.... :)

jasmin

Really no matter what if your hair grows uneven...it will continue to do so even if they even it up. For me, one side of my head will always be longer than the other.

Mahalialee4

Actually I am a was a stylist for many years and the owners and instructors where I worked would tell us to do this "off the record", it was not in the MANUAL. These were not run of the mill stylists but high end and always current and involved in competitions...the Vidal Sassoon types...very chichi. They charged big bucks for those cuts too. I worked mainly on male or long haired clients that wanted precision cuts. Tips were good, especially from the male clientelle. They like to look good too!!!! bonjour

Mahalialee4

Actually I am a was a stylist for many years and the owners and instructors where I worked would tell us to do this "off the record", it was not in the MANUAL. These were not run of the mill stylists but high end and always current and involved in competitions...the Vidal Sassoon types...very chichi. They charged big bucks for those cuts too. I worked mainly on male or long haired clients that wanted precision cuts. Tips were good, especially from the male clientelle. They like to look good too!!!! bonjour
By the way. I did not do this, because when clients are paying a lot of money, I felt it right to ask first if I could turn them around and some said, "sure, no problem, some preferred to watch, and some said "I don't want to look...I have always had long hair etc. I left it up to them. And the long haired ladies...I would indicate what I was going to cut. If they said "dust", I "dusted", 1" tha'ts precisely what they would get and that's why I ended up with the longhaired clients...they trusted me. bonjour.

MizAvalon

pink_n_green_iz_me said:

After I finished beauty school, I knew how beauticians were. They cut your hair on purpose because it looks better than theirs or they will put a product in it that they know will damamge it just because they are envious. :mad: :mad: OOh don't even get me started:mad: because I can tell some stories about how the beauty students would mess up the clients hair on purpose.

Girl, tell us! I wanna hear the stories!

alexstin

pink_n_green_iz_me said:

I am so done with stylists after my last relaxer. It's unbelievable. I can do bad by myself.

Lynnerie

Cheche, I'm sorry this happened. You got me upset now...thinking about the time my hair dresser decided I'd be so cute with bangs, I still haven't fully recovered.

And for those that have little girls don't drop your children off at the salon. You better see what the hell their doing to your babies.

Please don't let people with chewed up hair do yours. If its unhealthy they WILL be jealous of you! I don't care how good they can do other people's hair. And dont believe the line that they don't have time to do their own hair.

As for me... I took my hair into my own hands and never looked back. I love my stylist as a person. But I can't appreciate how she washed my hair only twice after a relaxer, how she did not deep condition me after that relaxer, just through some leave-in conditioner in and combed it through with a rat-tail comb. I called her on it too!

I tell you one thing. I'll never have another salon horror story.

Oh TSUPrincess I like your bun and highlights, very pretty!

WomanlyCharm

I am so angry this happened to you! :mad:
Cutting 3-4 inches off to EVEN IT UP??? What a crock of ****! And then that witch had the nerve to act all catty and happy about what she had done.

You need to find another stylist, do not go to her again, she obviously does not have your hair's health and well-being in mind. She's all about the paycheck.

And make sure to let her know why you will not be calling her again. I hate stories like this!

mahogany66

:mad:.. I feel for you. I went to my stylist ONCE since I started doing my own her. I told him NOT to cut and he obliged, but I know he is going to have a problem in the future because he loves EVEN hair, no matter how much he has to cut off. I wish I can trim my OWN hair.:(

KiniKakes

Aaargghh!!! I hate stylists like this! In just one split second they derail MONTHS of progress! :perplexed

As others have stated....... do not go back to her! And IF you do, make certain you use the word "dust" not "trim"..... face the mirror, and watch her *** like a HAWK to see exactly what she's doing! :mad:

That sucks, man. Im sorry this happened to you. :(

leleepop

This happened last month to me.I asked for a trim and I got 2 inches cut. Hell I got a inverted bob, so I know it wasnt what I asked for. I feel better NOW but it took me a while. I ve been surgin and washin almost eri day. I just dont understand why that ish thought I wanted a bob. I'm cutting it myself next year.lol

Wishin4BSL

I feel for you! I never suspected that my last stylist of 6 years would be cutting my hair to keep it just at shoulder length (which, coincidentally, was just a little shorter than hers when I actually SAW her hair). I had no idea until I had an epiphany one day, looking at the ends of my hair and noticing that the highlights I had gotten 2 years ago had completely grown out in the back and most had grown out in the front. Then I started researching black hair care, found LHCF, dumped my stylist, and never looked for another again. I go to this woman who works out of her house strictly for a relaxer and roller set and tell her I'll see her in another 8-10 weeks!