Baggie Method Isn't Working For Me.... :mad:

Re: Baggie Method Isn\'t Working For Me.... :mad:

I might have to try it on dry hair as well.

When I air-dry with my hair in a ponytail or straight down, my turns out crispy sometimes. Airdried rollersets leave my hair soft but I dont feel like doing rollers and then taking them out just to put it in a baggie. Is it ok to blow-dry and then do the baggie method??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

@FlowerHair: I'm the same way, I try not to comb my hair until it has conditioner in it. I'm wearing this wrap set and couldn't get by today w/o combing.

@Pooh: /images/graemlins/smile.gif I never did it w/wet hair. I moistened the hair after it was fully dried. I have no idea how I would air dry and have a decent style w/the baggie in my hair the whole time.

i do use vaseline and have for a couple of years. after i wash, condition and moisturize my hair, i put vaseline just on my ends. at that time, my hair is wet. by the time i get home, most of my hair is dry, but the hair in the baggie is of course still wet. so i take the baggie off and let my hair finish air drying. after i put the baggie back on, i leave my hair alone until i wash it again, which is usually a week later. if i have to take it down to resmooth my edges, i don't comb my hair. i just smooth my edges and put it back on.

the point of the baggie for me is to be able to leave my hair alone COMPLETELY while keeping it moisturized. the reason that i like the vaseline is that it's heavy enough to seal in the moisture for a week.

if you plan to take it down and comb your hair every day, i don't recommend the vaseline because it does make the hair more difficult to comb. if you must, it would probably be best to just use the baggie at night with a light oil...

I just started about a week ago and it seems to agree with my hair. What I did notice was that even if there were a few broken hairs when I removed the baggie there were a lot less on the floor in my apartment than there used to be. I do mine on dry hair and alternate between an oil mixture and Profective Long and Healthy.

well so far so good for me... i have been doing the baggie method on dry hair for six months now and my ends have never been better... /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The baggie method only works for me when I do it on dry hair too. I've been doing it for a couple of months and my ends are great. Each week I rollerset my hair and then put it in a baggie during the week. You guys might want to just try it on dry hair.

Hmmm, so it seems nobody read my warning last week /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
World of curls, scurl (and pretty much any glycerin based product) and wet hair in a baggy for some people do not mix. It will get tangled and the ends break. What I have been doing and I'm happy about is. Once it's about 85% dry I put it in a braided ponytail slap some leave in on there (Recovery right now) and some WGO oil. My ends are very soft and no more breakage or tangles. Good luck Sengschick /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seng,

I have had the same problem as you and Oxy. I started trying the baggie a little over a week ago on dry hair and moistened it with SCurl and put on shea butter and some oils. I would notice little broken hairs and more shedding than normal for me. I get next to no shedding, but I don't usually manipulate my hair a lot except on wash day. I was so concerned about the breaking/shedding, that I started a thread called "Longer Hair = More Shedding?".

[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
Hmmm, so it seems nobody read my warning last week /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
World of curls, scurl (and pretty much any glycerin based product) and wet hair in a baggy for some people do not mix. It will get tangled and the ends break. What I have been doing and I'm happy about is. Once it's about 85% dry I put it in a braided ponytail slap some leave in on there (Recovery right now) and some WGO oil. My ends are very soft and no more breakage or tangles. Good luck Sengschick /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it Faith! I saw it! No World of Curls in da baggie!
And I didn't do it! I did a lil in the beginning..and it
wasn't good. Went to using Softee, Healthy Ends, Castor/WGO on dry hair and it's been wonderful ever since!
I think this is one of the best things eva! So thankful for this board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just started the baggie method. I had it in for 2 days under a protective style. I am washing my hair tonight as soon as I leave work. So I will let you know how it turns out. In my baggie: olive oil, African pride hair cream, and perm repair.... /images/graemlins/bdance.gif /images/graemlins/band2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hottopic said:
I just started the baggie method. I had it in for 2 days under a protective style. I am washing my hair tonight as soon as I leave work. So I will let you know how it turns out. In my baggie: olive oil, African pride hair cream, and perm repair.... /images/graemlins/bdance.gif /images/graemlins/band2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG...I had to re-read the last line...cause at first I read...she put perm in her baggie...geezus!

Today is my first day for the baggie, so I have high hopes! I'll report back.

I too was having the same problem with the wet baggie. /images/graemlins/frown.gif When I took my hair down afterwards all I heard was snap,crackle and pop trying to detangle this mess. /images/graemlins/mad.gif I had no choice but to wash the oils out EVOO,Jojoba and a lil Coconut. Now I just do it on dry hair with Carrot Oil from ORS. It's been really smooth sailing now. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
adrienne0914 said:
i do use vaseline and have for a couple of years. after i wash, condition and moisturize my hair, i put vaseline just on my ends. at that time, my hair is wet. by the time i get home, most of my hair is dry, but the hair in the baggie is of course still wet. so i take the baggie off and let my hair finish air drying. after i put the baggie back on, i leave my hair alone until i wash it again, which is usually a week later. if i have to take it down to resmooth my edges, i don't comb my hair. i just smooth my edges and put it back on.

the point of the baggie for me is to be able to leave my hair alone COMPLETELY while keeping it moisturized. the reason that i like the vaseline is that it's heavy enough to seal in the moisture for a week.

if you plan to take it down and comb your hair every day, i don't recommend the vaseline because it does make the hair more difficult to comb. if you must, it would probably be best to just use the baggie at night with a light oil...

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems like adrienne doesn't reapply vaseline and all that stuff everyday. so maybe people can still do it wet, but apply the products once. Later in the day let the hair out and air dry. rebaggie only. Leave hair alone.

It seems like that's what makes the difference. Maybe too much reapplying mositurizer weakens the hair or products weigh down on the shaft. If you seal your hair in with vaseline or another oil, it should stay mositurized for a while.

When it starts to feel dry, wash you hair. or Simply redo the method every wash day.

Just a suggestion. I'm to try this and see how it works for me.

-------------------------------------

My hair was the same way putting moisturizer in there.
now I use very little of it and I add plenty of my hair oils.. That works for me.... My hair does not like a lot of moisturizer in it.... It just tangles, dries and ruins my hair... /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Shinka said:

It seems like adrienne doesn't reapply vaseline and all that stuff everyday. so maybe people can still do it wet, but apply the products once. Later in the day let the hair out and air dry. rebaggie only. Leave hair alone.

It seems like that's what makes the difference. Maybe too much reapplying mositurizer weakens the hair or products weigh down on the shaft. If you seal your hair in with vaseline or another oil, it should stay mositurized for a while.

When it starts to feel dry, wash you hair. or Simply redo the method every wash day.

Just a suggestion. I'm to try this and see how it works for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't re-moisturize each day and still had problems. I just placed S-Curl and oils on my wet ends and left it alone. After my hair (that's not in a baggie) was dry, my hair felt hard and looked like it was breaking around the ponytail holder (it was not on super tight either).

I guess I will have to try taking my hair out of the baggie to let it dry and then re-bag it. /images/graemlins/look.gif

The glycerin in the S-curl might be the culprit for the dry hair, Pooh. You might want to consider just using oils and/or a creamy moisturizer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
The glycerin in the S-curl might be the culprit for the dry hair, Pooh. You might want to consider just using oils and/or a creamy moisturizer. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess not for the baggie method... S-Curl does great on my hair for braid-outs or when my hair is damp or dry. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for all of the feedback ladies!! It seems some are saying oils ok, others say oils are bad. Must be a hair pref. thing. I was doing the method w/dry hair, so I guess I'm safe on that one, I'm just putting the wrong thing in the bag. The other mistake I see that I was making was re-applying the stuff too often. I tend to commit 110% (when I do commit), so I was actually re-applying in the AM & PM before re-bagging /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

@Faith: I OBVIOUSLY missed the memo /images/graemlins/frown.gif b/c that's exactly what I was putting in the danggit baggie. Shoot!

@Shinka: ITA /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think leaving your hair alone is required. But I have to style my hair daily, but I don't have to comb it (note to self: chill on the rollersets). So maybe I'll give it another go and abide by these rules.

@Tai: /images/graemlins/confused.gif What are you refering to as moisturizers? /images/graemlins/look.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
Thanks for all of the feedback ladies!! It seems some are saying oils ok, others say oils are bad. Must be a hair pref. thing. I was doing the method w/dry hair, so I guess I'm safe on that one, I'm just putting the wrong thing in the bag. The other mistake I see that I was making was re-applying the stuff too often. I tend to commit 110% (when I do commit), so I was actually re-applying in the AM & PM before re-bagging /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

Good Gawd Sengs! NOooooooooooooooooooo...not the AM & PM...
the point is just to leave it alonnnnnnnnne...LOL!

Okay...I hope that the new implementation methods will yield better results! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

@Sengs: What I mean are things like Profectiv's creams, Elasta QP Recovery, Surge Ultra Max, CD's Hair Milk or Healthy Hair Butter, Salerm 21, even Lacio Lacio, although it's thinner than all of those. I find that if I use a lighter weight oil in conjunction with a creamy moisturizer, my hair stays extremely moisturized and is very soft for days at a time.

Thanks Tai, I'm a little on the slow side today /images/graemlins/tongue.gif .

@Mona: I told you girl when I commit, I commit! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I agree with Tai. I have been using Recovery and WGO oil it's been GREAT. MOisturized, sleek and NO TANGLES or breakage. You can use any leave in and oil or even ORS carrot oil is good /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back