Aveda Color... Anyone interested?

LongLeggedLife

I tend to agree with topnotch. You can't lift hair using only color. Dyes that do this (to my [non-stylist] knowledge) simply bleach and color in one step. It is impossible to dye ones hair lighter without stripping it of its existing color, so whether you call it bleach or hi-lift, it will still have all the normal characteristics of bleached hair...and it would still count as a double-process(danger zone!) on relaxed hair, yes?
I do think they are making progress in making bleach/lift processes less harsh/damaging, but to say 'its all plants and oils so its safe' (in so many words), is misleading.

I have been told by a stylist in the past that she did not use "bleach" on my hair, so it was "safe" to chemically process(texturize) months after the initial color service.
When I left, my APL hair was still in the wash bowl and I had an unexpected pixie haircut.

Ms. Martina

tuffCOOKiE I haven't gone yet. I reallllly want to, but I'm still scared. I think I will wait and see how long my hair is when I flat iron it this week. I think I would feel better coloring once I have reached an ideal length that way if for some reason I can't retain after that point, I will at least be stuck at a decent length lol.

Tiye

I'm actually a little confused at the OP, about this Aveda hair color. To be clear, this is a real question and not an accusation. I got my hair colored with a low ammoinia hair color (Kaaral, Boca Line #12) and then a 40 developer was used.

MY hair is naturally jet black and now that I am natural, I wanted to add dimension and also lighten the hair around my face.

My hair stylist did not use bleach, but I would say something in the developer would have made my very dark hair turn light.

The question: @SummerSolstice what is in the Aveda color that made your hair turn to that golden brown/blondish color?

@Ms. Martina did you get your hair colored in the end?

^^ The developer is what lifted your hair.

You can use henna with regular hair color but the henna influences your color results. You can't lift henna out to prep hair for color. So it's different than coloring virgin or pre-colored hair. That's what stylists don't like about coloring henna'd hair.