Attenion All Ladies who wear or really know braids

garr6982

Okay, I'm getting braids put in to try and keep my hands out my head until 2 months before my wedding!

I've worn braids on and off, the last time being July, 2002. I always use Kanekelon but have read on this site of a synthethic wet and wavy by Toyokalon that looks natural. I have seen a wet and wavy kanekelon but its not by toyokalon and the texture is too shiny for my taste! I would love to get human hair braids so I can do updos, buns and other styles but my braidist told me that it would not last as long as the kanekelon that lasts 2 months. My synthetic braids are so full, I need a rope to tie around it (single braids) /images/graemlins/smile.gif. And I love cornrow extentions but can't keep them longer than 3 weeks and 4 weeks is pushing it (I'm really fuzzy at just 2 weeks, even sleeping in a silk wrap)! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

So here are my Q's /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Does the hair just look that shiny in the bag but will look better after braiding? (I know, dumb question) /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What is the longest anyone has worn wet and wavy extentions?

By the way, HoneyRockette and Faith are the braided heads that I aspire to.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Peachyqueen

Hi Peachyqueen,

I have never used wet and wavy (human or otherwise). But I saw that Sensationnel and Golden Queen both have this type. And I like both brands so.... they didn't look shiny to me. What brand did you see?

/images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Does the hair just look that shiny in the bag but will look better after braiding? (I know, dumb question)

[/ QUOTE ]

No not a dumb question.

I haven't seen this hair but I've used toyokalon which was very shiny as I used a 1B colour. It looks nice once braided. It does have a sheen but isn't overpowering. I can imagine what the W&amp;W hair looks like as I've seen the sheen on some of them in the shops.

Are you braiding close to the ends or part way down and left loose.

Don't forget to wash the hair before you braid with it, But saying that i don't know how it will affect the W&amp;W pattern.

Well Garr,

Two months is about the longest you should keep your braids in. Any longer and the hair might mat. If you use synthetic hair which is akaline you should wash it or rinse it with apple cider vineagar. If you don't the synthetic hair can eat your hair out. Also, you don't want to make your parts too small and your braids too tiny. The part should be medium and your braids close to the size of a pencil. Braid spray should be sprayed on the braids daily. Oh! BEFORE you put the braids in give yourself a good deep conditioner and when it's time to take them out a oil treatment this will help the braids come out with less breakage. I am also about to get married in about 12 weeks. I am wearing my natural 4a/b hair in braids no extentions. I wash every three days using the noo poo method. I use infusuim 23 and seal in the moisture with globs of unrefined shea butter twit the back up into a bun and wrap the hair I do this every three days and I keep the braids in for two months then I leave the hair out in twist, big cornrows or whatever for about four days and then re-braid and leave it for another two months. Also, your comb should be a seamless comb do not use the plastic combs that has a seam down each tooth.
Hope this helped
Peace and Blessings

I use wet and wavy, but its human hair. I prefer wet and wavy because I expereince less frizzing, than with silky straight human hair. Plus, you still have the versatility of wearing it straight when you want. I used to used kanekelon, but I wouldn't go back to synthetic hair for anything. My braids are less full and my head feels so much lighter. And I don't experience the tightness or ithcing that I did with synthetic hair. I usually wear my braids around ten weeks, with a touch up around the fifth week.

You know, I can't remember but I will check it out today on the way home. All I know is that is was Kanekelon wet and wavy and I guess I was so excited I didn't bother to look!

I'll have to look for the Sensationnel and Golden Queen brand because your braids are really nice!

Thanks!

She has braided them several ways, all close to the ends; sometimes burned at the end of the braid, loose at the ends and curled, and in 2 inch sections braided together for the wavy look all with Kanekelon.

I would like to have it done part the way down and loose since I feel it would be a lot less time /images/graemlins/shocked.gif!

Thanks for the tip on washing! I was just thinking I needed to go back to that site where the young lady gives instructions on how to do this then I saw that one of the sweet ladies posted it in her response!

You guys are great /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

I wore the wet and wavy extention last winter. It is shiney and it will be "full" after you get them done. A sister who has been braiding her hair like forever told me to spray them with activator, then take a couple of braids and brush the ends (mine were left undone) It weighed the hair down and took some of the shine out.

But, then again the human is nice too. You might not be able to shampoo as often though...because of the slip

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

My goodness! I feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride with my wedding 20 weeks away so I can't imagine the excitement you are feeling /images/graemlins/laugh.gif (this is a wheeeeeee face)!

Okay, I am sitting at my desk, head in both hands like I am watching TV, so enthralled was I in you response!

Thank you so much!

In a prior post I was just commenting on how I needed to check out instr. on how to wash the braiding hair and you have provided them for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif!

So far, my braidist has all the other particulars that you mentioned down packed but I need to do the hot oil thing (with my faithful olive oil) before I take them down! What a great tip! I always deep condition before and hot oil after removing the braids but never thought about doing it your way. I like it /images/graemlins/wink.gif!

We have similar hair care techniques being that I also No Poo every three days if not sooner and I absolutely live in Shea butter and other homemade concoctions. I typically wear my hair in a bun or two flat twist going back with a side part after spritzing with a mixture of water, olive oil, coconut oil, and just recently started adding a little camelina oil and some essential oil for scent. I use gel for the bun but would like to make my own with flax seeds, aloe vera and water when I get time!

Do you agree that less heat is better even for natural hair, (contrary to Mr. John's theory)?

How are you going to wear your hair for your wedding and how long is your hair?

Sorry it was so long and full of Q's and thanks again!

Thanks for your help!

I would love to get wet and wavy human hair but I was wondering if my natural textured hair would cause them not to last longer? My cousin has braids with wet and wavy hair and she's had hers for about 10 weeks and it still looks great although she commented that she was getting them done this week!

I was so jealous /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

Girl that is my biggest fear!

Walking and leaving a trail of braids behind me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif!

That happened to my girlfriend when we were in St. Thomas!

Here we were on a boat with this nice guy taking four ladies on a mini cruise and when she went to remove a card from her pocket there was a braid as nice as you please wrapped around it /images/graemlins/blush.gif! She and I nearly fell off the boat from laughing so hard!

And it would happen to me since I can be so tomboyish sometimes not taking the care that "normal" women would take about things! I'd probably get up from my chair and leave about 5 braids in it!

Hmmmm. Kanekelon is sounding better and better /images/graemlins/wink.gif!

Mine were left undone, but I had taken about two to four stands of hair in each braid and tied a knot. This kind of works, sometimes the knot slips. I did my own braids of course, but I didn't lose any!! And I had them braided at least two inches past my own hair. Another trick to is wet the braids immediately after and tie down with a scarf. Sometimes this "locks" the braid, especially if you already have lots of outgrowth. Might not work with human hair...

Hi Garr,

I underestimated the time, I have a little more than 12 weeks to my wedding. I'm getting married the third week of march.
Most of the information I gave you I obtained from a site called growafrolonghair.com (I think this was the link). Of course I incorporated a lot of my own methods that suit my hair. My hair is 5 to 6 1/2 inches 4a/b. Over the summer is when I became aware that my hair needs moisture to survive. I put my hair in braids two weeks ago and I already see some growth. My routine is two months braids one week out and then back in again. I use the infusuim 23 and then seal in the moisture with the shea butter. sometimes I mix the shea butter with coconut oil mircowave it and then put it in the freezer to harden. Quite naturally my hair is longer in the back because the back of the head is closer to the shoulders. I am able to wear a small bun or split the hair into two buns. Any hair that does not reach I secure with U shaped hairpins. Any pins that lose the little bulb on the end immediatly goes into the garbage. Now for the big question how will I wear my hair? I don't have a clue, I tried searching on the net and there are not too many hairstyles for brides with natural afro textured hair. When I take my hair out of the braids at the end of febuary I will use my out stage to experiment. I took my engagment pictures with box braids which were pulled back in to a small roll. the front or bangs I swept across my forhead and secured with pins. In the picture it looked as if I had a classic uptwist with a part and a low swept bang. I hope that gives you an idea. I was considering this style for the wedding because I could go swimming and such with worrying about my hair. Also, I plan to wear a tiara and veil which I will keep on during the reception. I like idea of making your own moisture spray I will try this as soon as I can! I don't think that mild heat is good for the hair like when you use a heating cap for conditioner. But the heat used to make our hair straight is too extreme for delicate hair in my oppinion. I perfer my hair in its natural state. I mean to each her own, I am not knocking how anyone else wears thier hair but one time after I decided to go natual I went to the dominicans to get a press and curl. I must have been so used to wearing my hair natural because to me my straitned hair felt dead and artificial. My favorite hair style is box braids no extentions because it is the most versitile, and promotes growth I also don't have to style it everyday!
I know this is long but if I could have said it in less words I would have.
Products I use--Sauve coconut conditioner (if hair is very dry I add some coconut oil to the conditioner. Shea butter and Infusuim 23 leave in treatment.

Peace and Blessings

garr,

I was LOL about the trail of braids I read the post at work and my co-workers thought I was crazy. Thanx for a good laugh!
Peace and Blessings

Garr,

I meant to say that the mild heat in a heating cap is great for conditioning and that extreme heat can be damaging. Some can straighten thier hair with heat with no problem I just perfer not to.

My hair is natural and keep mine about 10 weeks. I wash them every two weeks. I've worn braids off and on for six years and I've never lost a braid, with human hair or synthectic.

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

You are welcome! I get flashbacks and I fall out laughing all over again!

Thanks again for the hair tips! I'm counting the days until braidtime!

Just bumping cuz it has good information for those considering getting braids /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have the deep wave human hair extensions in right now and as long as they stay conditioned, they last two months. I have fullness and I would never consider using synthetic again. They just don't work for my hair, but the human hair is perfect for me. In fact, I have to tell people who see me every single day that it's NOT my hair. It's just...great and I suffer no consequences from using them and keeping them in for two months, (tightening random braids here and there).

Back