At a Crossroad Regarding Gray Hair

Qurlyqt

Henna/Color/Embrace the Gray? What's a girl to do? :spinning:

I stopped using henna in December because over time, it affected my curl pattern in the front. :wallbash: I've been bunning MOST of the time since my major cut last year. The gray strands along my hairline have significantly multiplied over the past few months. What options do I have?

1. I really don't want to go back to henna but the natural coloring option is appealing.
2. My stylist recommended a color rinse but says it only last about 6 washes. (Sounds like a waste of money since I wash about every 3 days.)
3. Or am I going to have to just embrace the gray and deny the bun? (I can't continue to wear a bun with these "wisdom" reminders staring me in the face every single day.)

Anyone who has mastered the gray and can offer any suggestions, please do.

RZILYNT

LOL...Not sure that I would say that I have mastered the gray however I have embraced it and at first would get the "you are too young for all that you need to color " comments by many well meaning family members. But due to the cost and frequency that goes with keeping it up, I gave it up and I get so many compliments. Many other women at my place of employment are now embracing the transition of their hair color. Believe me if it aged me beyond my years I would have kept up. the coloring. I am two tone...mostly silver around my face and more brown through out the rest.

The question that you should ask yourself is how do you feel about your gray? If you let it go and don't like it, you can always start coloring again.

RZ~

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I'm where you are too. I am subscribing to hear what my lhcf friends say. I've been doing semi permanent rinses. The last one I did they made my hair too dark -it's reading black and too me it looks mad fake. I prefer subtle dark brown.

I'm worried about the upkeep myself. It's $$$ and time consuming!

LadyRaider

I use the cheap Ms. Clairol Gray Touch Up with the little brush. You don't need to pay to color your whole head when you just have gray at the hairline. I am not sure how many washes it lasts, but it's more than 6.

Lola Laughs

I have the same concerns about the henna/indigo. At the advice of henneforhair I am going to do a henna-amla mix (4:1 ratio) before the indigo, which will supposedly counter any possible loosening. I'm going to test it out around my hairline first, and then if there is no loosening I will do the rest of my roots.

Anybody have good experience with plant based commercial dyes?

cch24

I don't have any grays yet, and I'm not sure how I will feel when I do, but I cringe when I see people transitioning from their colored hair back to their natural gray. So I would consider your less permanent options first.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm Relaxed. Henna/Indigo is the only option at this point I will ever consider. It works fabulously for me.:grin:

I get Great results every time.

The Shine is incredible and the Color lasts.

Yeah....I'm a Hendigo-Head!:grin:

lucea

I have been researching a cassia/buxus/amla mix to get a light/medium brown color to my grays, as I am trying to get away from henna. There's a lot of threads over at LHC with strand tests and such. I hope this mix is semi-permanent, so I can do it once a month and still get good great coverage. HTH.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Whatever you do, don't dye your hair too dark. I have some pics in my album here where you can see how "pretty" that looks when the greys are taking over. :lol:

It's horrible with jet black hair and white roots. :nono:

I'm trying to transition, but I truly don't know what to do. I'm starting to use a lighter semi-permanent hair color now. But it will take years upon years before I look decent again. :sad:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Whatever you do, don't dye your hair too dark. I have some pics in my album here where you can see how "pretty" that looks when the greys are taking over. :lol:

I'm trying to transition, but I truly don't know what to do. I'm starting to use a lighter semi-permanent hair color now. But it will take years upon years before I look decent again. :sad:

Oy - this is what I'm afraid of.
How does one transition without the crazy striped look?
I admire women like Suburbanbushbabe. Her transition went beautifully and her silver is blinging!

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict

OK - I just looked at your album. I spoke too soon. Your new growth doesn't look so bad, especially since your original color is lighter. :yep:

I'm Relaxed. Henna/Indigo is the only option at this point I will ever consider. It works fabulously for me.:grin:

I get Great results every time.

The Shine is incredible and the Color lasts.

Yeah....I'm a Hendigo-Head!:grin:
This is me as well...and since I just discovered henna/indigo...am THRILLED to have a natural way to combat the grey. Maybe when I hit my 60's I'll think it's too much work to do..but for now...late 40's it's great and have just made it part of my hair care regime. The curl pattern issue doesn't bother me so much, maybe it will help me stretch out my time between relaxers. Great question OP!

LilMissRed

Good question.. I too have multipling grays on my hairline.. I've been using henna.. I need it redone... I bought some henna but have been dragging to put it in... open for suggestions too!

LadyPBC

WOW - can henna do that much damage? I love henna and I'm a Hendigo Head too IDareTsHair. Truth is I used only henna a couple weeks ago - got heat for a trim and I'm still waiting for most of my hair to revert. I was going to blame it on the heat but could it be the henna or ... both? Right now I use the henna/indigo to cover my gray. If I were completely gray I would probably rock it but not quite yet. Since I'm natural I like having the natural option. I sometimes consider the permanent dyes but I too don't like the growing out phase. If I were to go there I would like a nice color which probably would not look good against my stubborn gray growth - besides it would be too costly to have it professionally done. Sorry I couldn't offer any suggestions.

Fab_Nikki

I use one of those little color brushes that look like mascara. LOL It may only be very temporary but it works for me. In the past I've used a rinse which is also temporary but since I DIY its not expensive.

kim

When I get alot of gray, I will either just embrace it or use rinses. My hair hates henna, I don't care what brand or how I mix it. It dries my hair out, I get terrible shedding and removes all of my curl.

Tiye

Henna damaging? I've been using it regularly for 6 years now - and I guess you might as well call me a henna for lifer. My hair is stronger and better for it. I don't know about the texture changing issue - I have very tightly coiled 4b or c hair - some of the red parts have a slightly bigger curl and I do mean very slight - nothing to get all excited about if you're a curl junkie. I get mine from my Indian market - I don't have a preference for brand they all seem pretty much the same I just check the expiration date on the package to make sure it's this year's harvest. My hair care regimen is about 75% aveda and 25% ayurvedic - henna, shikakai, amla, etc. I haven't tried indigo yet. Different things work for different people but just adding to the thread to let people know henna can work.

baddison

natural for good
Henna damaging? I've been using it regularly for 6 years now - and I guess you might as well call me a henna for lifer. My hair is stronger and better for it. I don't know about the texture changing issue - I have very tightly coiled 4b or c hair - some of the red parts have a slightly bigger curl and I do mean very slight - nothing to get all excited about if you're a curl junkie. I get mine from my Indian market - I don't have a preference for brand they all seem pretty much the same I just check the expiration date on the package to make sure it's this year's harvest. My hair care regimen is about 75% aveda and 25% ayurvedic - henna, shikakai, amla, etc. I haven't tried indigo yet. Different things work for different people but just adding to the thread to let people know henna can work.

I second that emotion!! LOL!:lachen:

I am a henna head for life....or at least until my hands can no longer reach my head...LOL! I don't too much greys now, but I'm not ready to embrace ANY. So, as long as I am able, and even after I am NOT able - I'm gonna keep doing my henna's once per month. I've been doing it for 2 years now, and I'm on a roll.:grin:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I've been wondering about this too lately. My few grays at my hairline have grown long and now, when I part my hair, I see a few hiding and thriving.

I'm very interested in indigo but I don't really understand whether you do henna AND indigo or if you can just use the indigo. And if you can use the indigo alone, then why's everyone doing both? :perplexed I'm currently texlaxed so, I'm not worried about preserving a curl pattern. Somebody fill me in, please.

I refuse to embrace the grays. Check with me in 10...make that 20 years or so and I may feel differently. But for now, I'd like to enjoy a long, dark mane, thanks. I'll rock the silver streaks later. Much later. :grin:

Qurlyqt

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I've been using the hair mascara (primarily on Sundays) for at least a couple of months, it works pretty good but I'm thinking of something more permanent.

Flowerhair, thanks for the feedback about going too dark, which is my fear of the indigo. I've used it once and I was so disappointed at how dark it appeared, although it DID cover my grays. My hair has always been brown but appears much darker as soon as I apply ANY products. I've never really liked the idea of cold black on me.

I don't think henna is damaging. I personally know that it can straighten your curl pattern. IF I wasn't so protective over my curls, I probably would've continued using it. Nah, it was VERY time consuming and I really don't have that kind of time to devote to my hair anymore. I'm good to get a deep conditioner in once a month now. Wait, I think it's been 2 months! I've heard the henna/indigo 2 step yields great results but I'm tired just thinking about that.

Wavezncurlz - keep us posted and please let me know if you're able to achieve the subtle dark brown.

Ceebee3 - what's a demi permanent?

I've been wondering about this too lately. My few grays at my hairline have grown long and now, when I part my hair, I see a few hiding and thriving.

I'm very interested in indigo but I don't really understand whether you do henna AND indigo or if you can just use the indigo. And if you can use the indigo alone, then why's everyone doing both? :perplexed I'm currently texlaxed so, I'm not worried about preserving a curl pattern. Somebody fill me in, please.

I refuse to embrace the grays. Check with me in 10...make that 20 years or so and I may feel differently. But for now, I'd like to enjoy a long, dark mane, thanks. I'll rock the silver streaks later. Much later. :grin:
Nooo, you cannot use the indigo alone....you need the henna as a base. It is what the indigo clings to (if I understand the process correctly) Once the henna is on ~ you can just use the indigo...however you WILL have to redo the henna on regrowth and then reapply the indigo as well. errrrmm but there are a LOT of threads that can explain it waaay better than I just did.:perplexed

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Nooo, you cannot use the indigo alone....you need the henna as a base. It is what the indigo clings to (if I understand the process correctly) Once the henna is on ~ you can just use the indigo...however you WILL have to redo the henna on regrowth and then reapply the indigo as well. errrrmm but there are a LOT of threads that can explain it waaay better than I just did.:perplexed

Ahhhhh. I see. Thanks! Makes sense now.

One more question. Will the henna/indigo stain the skin?

Ahhhhh. I see. Thanks! Makes sense now.

One more question. Will the henna/indigo stain the skin?
You bet it does....especially if you're using the mehendi(sp)henna, which by the way they say is the best kind to use. Can't for the life of me remember why....but you have to wear gloves when doing it....again, that is me...others may do it diff.
Henna Sooq is where I got really good information...along with the search engines here.

danysedai

OP, have you seen my thread on my mother's beautiful silver hair?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=132021&highlight=

She is 60 now but she's been going gray since she was 14 and I'm following in her footsteps :). I've had grays since I was 18 and now at 38 I have LOTS of grays,mainly in the middle of my head and the front which is mostly silver.I used to use Clairol Textures and Tones and now use Bigen but I would like to stop, it only lasts maybe 3 weeks at most. As I'm relaxed I would like to try Henna & Indigo,but I've only found both online,there's henna at the indian stores in my city but no indigo.
Everybody I know is against me going gray. I don't want to BC and transition to natural, so maybe wigging it or a weave will help when I do decide to go gray (50 is my deadline lol). I have a young face and nice skin so being gray doesn't bother me and seeing my mother's great colour makes me look forward to it.

JustSimplyTish

This is the main reason I stopped dyeing my hair black....Because I know one day I will get grey and I have seen the horror my sister went thru with the jet black dye and trying to keep up with the grey ...so my natural hair is a dark auburn brown I will just learn to embrace it if not I will go lighter vs darker

My mother's hair is a beautiful white grey...I hope I am just as lucky

kim

OP, have you seen my thread on my mother's beautiful silver hair?
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=132021&highlight=

She is 60 now but she's been going gray since she was 14 and I'm following in her footsteps :). I've had grays since I was 18 and now at 38 I have LOTS of grays,mainly in the middle of my head and the front which is mostly silver.I used to use Clairol Textures and Tones and now use Bigen but I would like to stop, it only lasts maybe 3 weeks at most. As I'm relaxed I would like to try Henna & Indigo,but I've only found both online,there's henna at the indian stores in my city but no indigo.
Everybody I know is against me going gray. I don't want to BC and transition to natural, so maybe wigging it or a weave will help when I do decide to go gray (50 is my deadline lol). I have a young face and nice skin so being gray doesn't bother me and seeing my mother's great colour makes me look forward to it.

Her hair is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!