Ask a Natural/Ask a Relaxed...questions that you are too embarassed to ask...

Hello ladies,

I have been thinking.
There have been a lot of people who have questions that they are too embarassed to ask.
This thread is for those taking the plunge.
Either the plunge to BC/go natural or the plunge to relax.
I know I have some questions for naturals that I am too embarassed to ask, so I think this is a good idea.
Can we have it so that if you are responding, you "quote" the post you are responding to?
Thanks for your participation. :)

Q1. Naturals, with all the moisturizing that you do (or wash n go's), do you ever leave "grease" stains on your furniture or your car seats? This is one of the many reasons why I am not anticipating my chop. The "coming to America" look is not happening in these streets...

Q2: If you use a heat protecting mist AND a heat protecting serum, is it possible to STILL get heat damage? is that a stupid question?

jamaraa

1. No..I don't spend all my time moisturizing because my hair isn't dry. I don't co wash, nor wash and go, etc....my hair dislikes too much water, too frequent washing, and I cover my head so oil isn't a problem (tho I don't use too much).

2. Yes, it's still possible if you have your flat iron/hot comb turned too high. Add enough heat to anything and it will burn.

Diva_Esq

Q1. Naturals, with all the moisturizing that you do (or wash n go's), do you ever leave "grease" stains on your furniture or your car seats? This is one of the many reasons why I am not anticipating my chop. The "coming to America" look is not happening in these streets... No, I have NEVER had that experience. I don't use "grease" or greasy products. My hair tends to absorb whatever I put in it.

Q2: If you use a heat protecting mist AND a heat protecting serum, is it possible to STILL get heat damage? is that a stupid question? Absolutely! You still have to control the heat! No matter what you do, if you heated your hair at 500 degrees, it would burn/ damage. Not a stupid question! :)

MsBoinglicious

lol nice thread.

1) No I don't leave stains on my furniture or car seat head rest. BUT I can stain up a pillow or two at night. I oil my scalp and at night the oil gets on the pillow. In the morning it looks like I slobb'd all over it lol. I change the pillow cases weekly.

2) Heck yeah. Heat protectants are used to slow down the heat damage. Heat damage is impossible to avoid if you use any heating tools. For some people the heat damage process is fast (they get heat damage on the first use of a flatiron) and some the process is really slow (may take a few years to visually see the damage). Every one’s hair is different therefore their hair reacts different to heat.

BlackMasterPiece

1. Nope. A) Because I make sure to moisturize and oil my hair with natural recepes that will readily absorb into my hair, that coming to America mess is back in the days when they only used stuff that coated the hair shaft. B) Even if I did mistakenly go overboard with the oil I'm way too protective of my hair to ever lean it on ANYTHING.....I dunno whats been on there:nono:

2. I'm not relaxed but I was for 4 yrs there....the answer to this is YEP as boingboing said all heat protectants can do is slow down the process but if you abuse the heat, that wont make much of a difference.

Thanks girls.

Q3. For natural ladies, does your regimine change with the seasons?

q4: For naturals and relaxed ladies, is it me or does my eye burn when rinsing/washing in t he shower. This is not even from getting product directly in my eye. What can I do to combat this? Also what can I do about getting shedded hair in my boonky?

jamaraa

3. Not really. I use heavier oils when I think Ineed them and use my lighter ones when I don't...in any season.

4. I don't wash my hair in the shower. Dunno.

What's a "boonky"?

HeChangedMyName

Q1: Naturals, do you ever regret going natural, but keep it up because of the long process of having gone natural and finally seeing totally natural hair? Do you feel like you'd be a failure for turning back?

Q2: Relaxed heads, do you ever just with there was an easier way to just instantly be natural, but you keep up the relaxed hair just because of the long exhaustive process of transitioning or BCing and waiting for your length to grow back? Do you feel bad that you just can't go through all it takes to go natural?

BTW: I am relaxed and have threatened to go natural several times. still relaxed though.

Diva_Esq

Q1: Naturals, do you ever regret going natural, but keep it up because of the long process of having gone natural and finally seeing totally natural hair? Do you feel like you'd be a failure for turning back?

Q2: Relaxed heads, do you ever just with there was an easier way to just instantly be natural, but you keep up the relaxed hair just because of the long exhaustive process of transitioning or BCing and waiting for your length to grow back? Do you feel bad that you just can't go through all it takes to go natural?

BTW: I am relaxed and have threatened to go natural several times. still relaxed though.

GOOD QUESTIONS! :yep:

I am transitioning, and I plan not to go back natural again, partially b/c the process is long, but more for the health benefits of avoiding relaxers for my scalp, hair, thickness, growth & length retention. And the versatility. I think the upkeep and maintenance is pretty similar as far as time/ effort.

-PYT

-I feel like this everyday!!! I know that everyone who has beautiful long, thick hair (-looks at BlackMasterPiece-) has taken a long, sometimes hard journey to get there! It's a rite of passage that we all must go through, though! I don't so much as feel bad, but i'm just anxious to get there already! Meanwhile, I don't know what to do with myself sometimes. Just straightened my hair Friday, but I wanna bun it already (not a bad idea), but whats the point of flat ironing if its up anyway????

...I'm starting to see what you ladies mean about that 10-character rule...

jetbeauty09

Natural- What do you do when your hair creates so many knots its not funny?!?! My hair curls onto itself creating single, double, triple (and keep going) knots. I try to detangle daily or every coupla days and nothing helps. Am I resigned to twists only forever as a natural?!?!

pookaloo83

Yep! I wanna go back natural, but the transitioning was too much for me. I'll pass for now.

ChrsLvsBks

Thanks girls.

q4: For naturals and relaxed ladies, is it me or does my eye burn when rinsing/washing in t he shower. This is not even from getting product directly in my eye. What can I do to combat this? Also what can I do about getting shedded hair in my boonky?

Q3. Until I started reading up on how to maintain hair, I didn't do anything differently when the weather warmed or cooled. Now, I realize the importance of protecting my ends during the colder weather. I will wear protective styles, deep condition more often at least twice a week, not co-wash in the morning and wear wash and gos and use heavier, creamier moisturizers and oils.

tocktick

Thanks girls.

More deep conditioning and less co-washing in the winter

q4: For naturals and relaxed ladies, is it me or does my eye burn when rinsing/washing in t he shower. This is not even from getting product directly in my eye. What can I do to combat this?

Yeah, this happens to me. No idea what one can do to avoid it. When it happens, I usually rinse my eye with cold water.

Also what can I do about getting shedded hair in my boonky?

:look: clench your butt-cheeks...?

I don't think I've ever truly regretted it. I did go through sooo many frustrating periods though. I hated the shortness, the thickness, the lack of styles, the knots etc. I wondered if being relaxed would combat those issues but then I referred myself back to this picture. I would still have to invest a lot of time into relaxed hair; if I wasn't willing to invest that same amount of time into learning how to care for my hair something was deeply wrong with my mindset. I've never really been at the point where I seriously debated getting relaxed again, let alone been on the brink with the box in my hand and everything though. It was just a lingering thought in my mind for a while. It helped that I don't prefer the straight look on me at all.

I wouldn't feel like a failure for "turning back" and do not look at anyone who goes back to relaxing as that either. I don't feel like I've lost one of the "team" if someone goes back to relaxing. I notice those who are not secure in their decision (they usually transition anyway) seem apologetic about relaxing again as if they've done something traitorous. If one truly wants to relax again, the "long process" they endured to become natural shouldn't hold them back.

Irresistible

I dont regret going natural , my hair is way healthier than it ever was while relaxed, took years to get where I am today, many years, there is no looking back for me, ever. I choose the challenges with natural hair over the challenges with relaxed hair. Because it goes both ways.

Great questions!
Natural- What do you do when your hair creates so many knots its not funny?!?! My hair curls onto itself creating single, double, triple (and keep going) knots. I try to detangle daily or every coupla days and nothing helps. Am I resigned to twists only forever as a natural?!?!

Someone please answer this!

Irresistible

Thanks girls.

Q3 I do the same ole thing with my hair all year long even when the coconut oil gets hard in the cold weather, dont bother me none, it softens right back up when its warm again :lachen:

Irresistible

Great questions!

Someone please answer this!
my hair wraps and wraps and wraps around itself, but to keep it from happening i wear my hair in a banded pony tail and dont let it loose

I think when your hair grows longer and you can wear it wrapped up/protected more often it will help that

natural hair will knot up , I dont think there is a way out of that only ways to minimize it, twists do help, but still cause major issues for me with the ends knotting

so basically i have no answers expect major moisture, regular detangling and the most protective styles possible , and with length comes more options for that so baby your hair and be patient , the time will come where there will be more to do with it:yep:

Nayna

Unbothered

I've learned that knots are part of the game and if I'm trying to avoid them completely it's not likely. Not impossible just not likely. To minimize them I make sure my hair dries stretched. I also don't wash my hair loose. Braids are the best for my hair when airdrying. I tried plopping (putting conditioner in ur hair and drying with a shirt or towel wraped around it) and that works as well if I want a wash and go effect.

HeChangedMyName

Thanks girls.

I don't like the eye burning, I have found that it really depends on the product I'm using. some stuff burns worse. I attribute it to the moisture all over the place, the little splashes too.

No way to keep the hair out of the boonky that I've found yet. just gotta have a swift finger swoop to get it off before it runs down and under there. lol

tocktick

I don't wear twists ever. I've seriously worn them once or twice since being natural and that was in my first year of being natural. I don't get much knots any more since doing the below.

* I use bentonite clay because it elongates the curl slightly and this means I have less knots.

* I use olive oil on my ends on top of whatever leave-ins.

* I stretch my hair a lot. I do "loose" styles like puffs but I do them on partially stretched hair. My other go-to loose style is banding my hair in about 8 sections overnight, taking them out in the morning and then wearing a big faux-braidout/twistout look.

* At night, I do something that allow me to tuck my ends under. That could mean 5 big twists that are tucked under, 4 buns or 4-5 bantu knots.

* At home, if my hair is loose I do the above.

* I don't braid any more. I get so many knots when I do this, it's not even funny. I think consistently doing twists would yield the same results.

natural_one

Naturals: Do you see a difference in conditioner designed for curly hair vs regular conditioner? I have been eyeing a few curly conditioners that I want to try but dont want to waste my money if they dont do anything special!

bravenewgirl87

Hello ladies,

I have been thinking.
There have been a lot of people who have questions that they are too embarassed to ask.
This thread is for those taking the plunge.
Either the plunge to BC/go natural or the plunge to relax.
I know I have some questions for naturals that I am too embarassed to ask, so I think this is a good idea.
Can we have it so that if you are responding, you "quote" the post you are responding to?
Thanks for your participation. :)

Q1. Naturals, with all the moisturizing that you do (or wash n go's), do you ever leave "grease" stains on your furniture or your car seats? This is one of the many reasons why I am not anticipating my chop. The "coming to America" look is not happening in these streets...

No. :lachen::lachen::lachen:Majority of the moisturizers I use absorb very easily into my hair. I think the problem is using products that are glycerine or oil based. Personally, I prefer water to be the first ingredient in my moisturizers.
Girl, just use the "cool shot" button on your hair dryer for 10 minutes before leaving the house. :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Q2: If you use a heat protecting mist AND a heat protecting serum, is it possible to STILL get heat damage? is that a stupid question?
Yea. I would believe so. That's why its imperative that you watch how high the heat is.

anon123

I have a simple question for the relaxed women. Can your hair still hold together at the ends if you do something like twists?