Ask the stylist whatever you want!!

Igotstripes

Hi again!! I hope you've been well
I took your advice and my hair has stopped breaking from the root!

I had another question though.. :)

Are blow dry creams heat protectors? I have one for smooth blow drying but using it with my heat protectant and leave ins weigh down my hair :/

kennylee2013

dontspeakdefeat. I have in braids for 4 weeks now and I plan to take them out this weekend and wash, color and do a protein treatment (aphogee 2 step) and then moisturize in that order. My question is... will this be safe and I also plan to re install for another 6 weeks. thanks.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Ladies, please accept my apologies. This time of year is really busy for me. I haven't been on the boards in a while. I'll be posting answers soon. So hold tight if I haven't answered your question yet. I'll be back soon!!

naturalmanenyc

dontspeakdefeat

I've decided to start growing out my hair, maybe to BSL :yep: I will likely have Havana twists installed again this month but I do like the occasional blowout and flat iron with a trim.

Do you know of any salons in NYC (Brooklyn or Manhattan) that you would use or recommend for naturals interested in a blow out, flat iron and dusting? I have yet to find a "natural salon" that uses healthy hair practices despite their claims and recommendations from other naturals.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Started a thread on this but posting here for more traffic.... This is long but I'm having a hair crisis and really need help :(
Long story short, my mom relaxed my virgin hair the other night,

So, the back half and sides of my head is slightly overprocessed, and the top half and crown are SEVERELY undeprocessed! not only that, my hair is thin/NL and i have a little rat tail pony tail!!
i have no idea what to do. buzz cut and start over AGAIN?
for the past few days ive been cowashing, leaving Mane and tail in, applying castor oil to hair and scalp, and slicking back into a side part with a weave track added for a bun. It'd be decent if half my head wasnt curly/textured and the other half slick straight!!! i really would prefer NOT to wear wigs, its way too hot and they've been messing with my edges lately...
Any advice dontspeakdefeat ?
jessicarabbit

Wow. That sounds like an ordeal. I would suggest that you go to a stylist and have them match the under processed hair to the straight hair. You will need to do plenty of deep conditioning treatments so you hair's conditioner won't get worse. Don't cut your hair off just yet.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
dontspeakdefeat - Hey Mrs. Tamika. I'm ducking as I'm posting this. Last time I saw you I was natural. I couldn't take this life anymore & didn't want to depend on heat to keep my hair straight so I relaxed. I know how you feel about relaxers so I didn't seek you out. That possibly was mistake #1.

I have the Design Essential's Low Lye Shea Butter relaxer. I asked the stylist not to relax me bone straight. She did & insisted that I'm not bone straight. My hair feels like mush when it's wet. If it wasn't for the fact that I have major density, my hair would probably look thin & sick. I want texlaxed hair!

Am I going to have to start over? Should I fire her & come back to you? :look:
Could I use a weave to grow out the bonelaxed & just texlax the leave out? I really want to remain relaxed b/c it's easier on my life as well as my wallet.

Please help. TIA...
nakialovesshoes Call me.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
how can I stop my hair shedding from over chemical process hair?
jenn132013 If your hair is over processed it's more than likely breakage. The right combination of protein and moisture will stop the breakage but finding the combo can be tricky. Keracare intensive restorative mask is a good conditioner to start with. I would suggest doing treatments once a week and keeping your hair in protective styles until the breakage stops.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hi again!! I hope you've been well
I took your advice and my hair has stopped breaking from the root!

I had another question though.. :)

Are blow dry creams heat protectors? I have one for smooth blow drying but using it with my heat protectant and leave ins weigh down my hair :/
Igotstripes Yay!!!! I'm so glad the advice helped!

I sometimes use the balm only for heat protecting. It should be fine.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
dontspeakdefeat. I have in braids for 4 weeks now and I plan to take them out this weekend and wash, color and do a protein treatment (aphogee 2 step) and then moisturize in that order. My question is... will this be safe and I also plan to re install for another 6 weeks. thanks.
kennylee2013 Sounds good to me!! Following protein with moisture is always a good combination. You can reinstall back to back as long as you hair is healthy and your edges don't suffer. Be careful with braids though. You may have to take a break after this second install for your edges sake.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
dontspeakdefeat

I've decided to start growing out my hair, maybe to BSL :yep: I will likely have Havana twists installed again this month but I do like the occasional blowout and flat iron with a trim.

Do you know of any salons in NYC (Brooklyn or Manhattan) that you would use or recommend for naturals interested in a blow out, flat iron and dusting? I have yet to find a "natural salon" that uses healthy hair practices despite their claims and recommendations from other naturals.

naturalmanenyc I can't help you in that area. I can however tell you the way to find a stylist.

Whenever you are out and about check out people's hair that you like. Find hair that looks like what you are looking for. When you find that head of hair, go give them a compliment and ask them for their stylist's information. I'm am pretty sure they will share. Good Luck!

gn1g

what can be done about medication that is eats up the ends of the hair? the hair ends look frayed!

Allandra

Well, the babyliss pro titanium iron is my favorite out of all of my irons. Hmmm, damage. I don't have that issue. People a lot of times blame the appliance for damage and not the technique. I really don't think the iron matters so much as the technique. I love my babyliss and my fhi platform.

The thing about flat ironing is, the people that are doing it are knowledgeable about what works for their hair only. They don't have the experience of doing all types of hair textures, density and lengths, just their own. Having a practiced hand is so important when it comes to flat ironing.

It helps to know what type of products to use, what heat to use, the perfect amount of product and so on. I have acquired so much knowledge over the years and my techniques have even changed slightly as time went on. :yep:
@dontspeakdefeat

I agree with your post.

I have a CHI titanium flat iron (digital heat control), and I love it (just as much as I love my FHI Runway flat iron (purchased in October 2009) and my Sedu Ionic Ceramic Tourmaline flat iron (purchased in December 2007). I haven't experienced any damage from either of my flat irons.

I was so close to getting the Babyliss titanium flat iron, but the CHi titanium won me over for it's color (fushia - Miss Universe). :grin:

Last edited:

Evolving78

i love keracare leave-in. the one that comes in the small pump. the thing is, i noticed it sort of coated my hair, i wouldn't get much body, and my hair wouldn't hold a curl for long. once i skipped using it, and just decided to use my Creme Of Nature leave-in spray and fantasia heat protectant serum, my hair has more staying power, it has more movement, and the curls have more memory and hold.

i don't recall if this product has a great amount of glycerin in it, but what might have been the cause? i would only use one-two pumps. is it better to use this product in the winter? i am relaxed 4a. i wash my hair 1-2x a week. i use heat on clean hair.

also, how can i roll my hair up at night without getting tight curls (purple flexi rods) or getting bend marks from the sponge satin rollers?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
What is it about stretching that brings on so much dryness and tangles that are otherwise non-existent? I kinda have a general idea but would love to hear your thoughts.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
i love keracare leave-in. the one that comes in the small pump. the thing is, i noticed it sort of coated my hair, i wouldn't get much body, and my hair wouldn't hold a curl for long. once i skipped using it, and just decided to use my Creme Of Nature leave-in spray and fantasia heat protectant serum, my hair has more staying power, it has more movement, and the curls have more memory and hold.

i don't recall if this product has a great amount of glycerin in it, but what might have been the cause? i would only use one-two pumps. is it better to use this product in the winter? i am relaxed 4a. i wash my hair 1-2x a week. i use heat on clean hair.

also, how can i roll my hair up at night without getting tight curls (purple flexi rods) or getting bend marks from the sponge satin rollers?
shortdub78 You may be still using too much. If I can recall when I used this product years ago it was very rich. I believe you only need a tiny morsel of this particular leave in the reap the benefits. As far as rollers leave crimps, that's a tough one. Just experiment with the placement of the rollers to try to avoid crimps. You may be rolling too tight.

Lilmama1011

What is it about stretching that brings on so much dryness and tangles that are otherwise non-existent? I kinda have a general idea but would love to hear your thoughts.

divachyk Curlier hair tends to be drier than straighter hair because our sebum can't make it down the coils of our hair and most tend to treat our new growth like it is relaxed and use light moisturizers or moisturize once a week when the new growth needs to have a heavier moisturizer and sealer. Or some might need to wet their hair everyday. I find s curl keeps my new growth moisturized longer. And that I cowash weekly and deep condition weekly for three weeks and use acv rinse to clarify my hair once a month and deep condition . My hair stays moisturize. I never comb my new growth dry. Even before I detangle before washing I spray my hair. But my hair stays moisturize because deeper into the stretch I can still run my hand through my new growth

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
divachyk

Honestly I don't know. I am not really a stretcher nor do I have any clients that are. I would love to know your theory.

dontspeakdefeat, my theory has to do with a lot of what Lilmama1011 said. My curl pattern is coily & wraps around itself, forming little dreads. It's very dry and soaks up moisture. It takes a lot of work to get my hair moisturized because I'm low porosity. Toss in some new growth, oh boy. Because my new growth hair is coily & tangly, I have little desire to wash multiple times per week but that seems required to keep the new growth happy. This vicious cycle is why I'm not a stretcher.

missyrayne19

This is something my stylist told me my last touch up so I'm curious to get your opinion. I requested a deep conditioning treatment and he gave me one but refused to put me under a dryer or use any heat for that matter. He said it was because I'd just had a relaxer so I couldn't use any heat for my deep conditioner. He didn't really say why either, so now I'm just curious. Is he correct? And if so, why?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
This is something my stylist told me my last touch up so I'm curious to get your opinion. I requested a deep conditioning treatment and he gave me one but refused to put me under a dryer or use any heat for that matter. He said it was because I'd just had a relaxer so I couldn't use any heat for my deep conditioner. He didn't really say why either, so now I'm just curious. Is he correct? And if so, why?
missyrayne19

That's interesting indeed. The heat won't affect the relaxer in any way. I wonder what his reasoning is.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
dontspeakdefeat

Will you share with us what they teach stylist in school about tools? I'm particularly interested in rat tail combs. If I had a dollar for each post stating "the stylist used a rat tail comb and..."

Is it easier to detangle straight hair with? Is it preferred for parts and people forget to switch to another tool? Does it save time? I'm really curious about this, but there's no one I can ask in real life w/o getting in trouble. TIA

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
@dontspeakdefeat

Will you share with us what they teach stylist in school about tools? I'm particularly interested in rat tail combs. If I had a dollar for each post stating "the stylist used a rat tail comb and..."

Is it easier to detangle straight hair with? Is it preferred for parts and people forget to switch to another tool? Does it save time? I'm really curious about this, but there's no one I can ask in real life w/o getting in trouble. TIA

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF
MileHighDiva

LOL!

They really don't teach you anything specifically about combs. In school however rat tail combs are used a lot for parting and doing highlights. I don't quite understand the over use of them because we used other combs and brushes as well.

They are not easier to detangle with. Maybe its because you can get a pack of 6 or so for really cheap. I don't know. There are so many other options.

girlonfire

Have you ever used a tangle teezer or any similar brush? I've been using one for about a month now and i absolutely love it! But since I got on this forum I've read about people's hair breaking from using it. I personally have not gotten any excessive breakage from using it, in fact I have actually gotten less hair in my teezer, but on the threads about the teezer I've read that it happens slowly, the excessive breakage. This is the only tool that has ever made me 100% happy and I would feel so hurt if I found out it would do my hair like that.

What's your take?

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Have you ever used a tangle teezer or any similar brush? I've been using one for about a month now and i absolutely love it! But since I got on this forum I've read about people's hair breaking from using it. I personally have not gotten any excessive breakage from using it, in fact I have actually gotten less hair in my teezer, but on the threads about the teezer I've read that it happens slowly, the excessive breakage. This is the only tool that has ever made me 100% happy and I would feel so hurt if I found out it would do my hair like that.

What's your take?
girlonfire Yes I have. I was actually in the bunch with the breakage from using it. I actually recommend that you stop using it. I works well but the damage comes slowly. It's better to be safe than sorry.