Are wigs/weaves necessary to reach our goals?

Are wigs, weaves, braids, etc. a part of your PS reggie?

• Yes

Votes: 178 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 203 53.3%

• Total voters

charmtreese

I feel uncomfortable in wigs and weaves wreck havoc on my fine hair strands, so no, they're not necessary for me to grow my hair.

Holla

Nope! I've never had either. I've had long relaxed hair and now long natural hair that will eventually surpass my relaxed goals.

I didn't do weaves/wigs because I needed to learn how to handle my hair at every stage. Any little setback from diet, stress, etc. would show in my hair and I would rather address it immediately than cover it up with a wig or wait to find out weeks later when taking out the weave.

If anything, I think not having wigs/weaves helped bc I have tried so many products to see which worked with my hair. I would not have used as many as fast to discover my staples if I wore wigs/weaves on a regular.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
No I hate fake hair. I've never used that or heat. I bc'd last year with only an inch of hair. I can put my hair in a ponytail right now.

*wigs, I did wigs*. I didn't do weaves. I can do without them though

Last edited:

BillsBackerz67

Not at all. Most people that I follow on IG and even myself have never used protective styling or weaves to get to great lengths. I have had braids here and there but that's because I had no desire to do my hair. Not for the sake of trying to gain length.

almond eyes

While there are some women who use them as protective styles successfully and are able to retain their inches, I don't think there are many of them.

I would also add extension braids to that list. I still believe that extensions especially with synthetic hair eats away at your progress. I have never met an older woman who had extension braided for years and years that has healthy hair or who still has an intact hair line.

I think wigs, extension braids and weaves can be nice to switch it up and have a different look or if you are on a vacation and want the convenience but if used as a crutch to hide serious hair loss or to not have to deal with your natural hair the results will catch up to you eventually.

I have transitioned on many occasions and the one occasion where I decided not to use braid extensions, I was actually able to retain all my length and I was able to go in the front of my hair from BC to all the way past my chin (and I have a long face) in three years. Then I stupidly got heat damage and braid damage and then a relaxer which messed everything up.

Now, I am natural again and even though I am at that challenging awkward stage, I am going to master learning my hair without using the props.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Evolving78

I know I have answered this question in this thread before, no they are totally not necessary for hair growth! I grew my hair to BSL without wearing any type of fake hair. Now I'm using wigs to hide my hair and keep my hands out it. Wigs and keeping it in a protective style is helping me transition, avoid trimming my hair too often, and getting bored. I get bored and start doing stupid stuff.