Are wigs/weaves necessary to reach our goals?

Are wigs, weaves, braids, etc. a part of your PS reggie?

• Yes

Votes: 178 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 203 53.3%

• Total voters

CurlyLawGal

Are half wigs, wigs, sew-ins, phony ponies, etc. a part of your protective styling regimen? I have never used any of the above-mentioned styles, but I am curious to know how they have worked for you all.

Is there anybody out there that did not use these styles and still reach their goals? Is bunning and TLC enough, or do I need to make this investment (I will if necessary, but I'm trying to continue on my hhj on a budget!!)?

Thanks ladies :)

I tried to post a poll, but I'm not sure if it worked.

SimJam

I dont think they are necessary BUT Ive noticed many ladies here that PS with wigs/weaves and have awesome results -particularly in retention.

but then again I could propabaly fins just as many ladies who do PS with them and still have great results lol

Bublin

I don't think it's necessary, infact lots of ladies even wear their hair out and unprotected and still retain length.

I personally hope to make my goal of past APL without wigs/weaves/braids by wearing protective styles.

CurlyLawGal

I agree For now I am going to stick with what I am doing, but I am still curious to hear other thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

NikkiQ

Even though I rely on wigs as my main method of PSing, I don't think it's necessary to everyone to reach their goals. Many ladies on here have PS'd using buns, twists, braids and outs and have retained like no other. I think it's more of a choice than a necessity.

Sweet_Ambrosia

No, they aren’t absolutely necessary.
Some people prefer wigging/weaving it over buns, twists etc.. and vice-versa, and you really don’t have to ‘protective style’ to retain length either, low-manipulation, moisturizing/sealing can work just fine.

I’ve been wigging it since mid-January of this year, it’s my lazy go-to style for now and it’s been working well for me. I still like buns/updos twists and ‘out’ styles, but for now I’ll continue to wig it up for the majority (85%) of the time.

Evolving78

no, you don't have to. there are a variety of reason why folks choose to protective style with wigs and weaves. one reason could be for changing up a style while having their hair protected underneath. or being able to wear their desired style until the reach their goals. i know when i tried it for a month, it was more like a hat to me. (don't laugh)

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Nope! I'm just very gentle with my hair, wear low manipulation hairstyles and practice good haircare practices.

iri9109

it's not necessary, but throughout my natural journey i have worn weaves and wigs...not necessarily as a protective style, but more so to switch it up, and give me and my hair a break.

RegaLady

They aren't necessary, but I use weaves from time to time. You don't need to weave it or wig it up in order to retain length. I do it to leave my hair alone and keep from watching a pot. I have also gotten great results with bunning.

mEmYSELFaNDj

No I don't think they are necessary, but I can say I experience the most retention while in weaves. That is due to the fact that(after the initial install of the weave) it is a no manipulation style and I'm able to retain all the growth I get during that 8-12wk period while I have my hair weaved up.

Oh and YES weaves are definitely apart of my PS regimen. For me weaves are a 100% guarantee that I will see progress in my hair's thickness and length.

Last edited:

somewhereinbtwn

I've never worn a wig/weave, and my retention is pretty good. IMO they are just another protective style, not the end all be all.

greenandchic

Never worn a wig or weave.

I've always had a fear of looking ridiculousness or obviously fake. I'm not very savvy when it comes to certain types of styling so I stick to protective styles, scarves and hats to save my hair.

Daeuiel

Cosplay Champ
It's not necessary but it certainly makes my life easier :lol: I have fun with daily styling but after a month I am just ready to put some extensions in and go on about my business :yep: And then a month later I miss playing with my hair & take the braids out, and the cycle continues :lol:

1stladyv

Wigs aren't necessary but they are a tool and accessory to helping some of us reach our hair goals. I was really "snobby" about wigs at one point in time. I came across April on YouTube and the rest is history. I have had a bag full of styles ever since. It has only been recently that I've been "wigging" as a protective style. I choose my wigs to look as realistic as possible.
Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

Charla

I'm wigging all the way, but I am TIRED of them...and it's hot now! I don't do well in braids, so that's out. I wish my hair was longer so I could at least do a bun or french roll. I'm almost tempted to slapper my hair in ecostyler to COAT my hair and ends but I'm not too sure about that either as a protective style...

CurlyLawGal

My main issue with bunning is the all day maintenance. For some reason, my hair gets whispy by the end of the day and I look like a 12 year old who was playing outside for recess. Re-bunning all day feels like a lot of manipulation. I have played with the idea of using extra hair for my buns. I found a great tutorial on it. Maybe that's where I can start...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

trendsetta25

No I don't think they are necessary, but I can say I experience the most retention while in weaves. That is due to the fact that(after the initial install of the weave) it is a no manipulation style and I'm able to retain all the growth I get during that 8-12wk period while I have my hair weaved up.

Oh and YES weaves are definitely apart of my PS regimen. For me weaves are a 100% guarantee that I will see progress in my hair's thickness and length.

mEmYSELFaNDj ITA....weaves helped me retain my length. A weave is a great way to have the BSL or ML hair while you wait for your hair to catch up :lachen:

Last edited:

MRJ1972

Weaves help me retain length, but I have to give them a break for a while because I usually rip out any progress during the detangling process.

SmilingElephant

I have only had one weave done in my life and that was waaaay before I even cared about hair care. I couldn't stand it. It just didn't feel right. I used to get braid extensions every once in a while back in the day too.

When I found the boards I started simply keeping my hair off my clothes. Not always bunning...I did ponytails, banaclips, French twist/roll....I did a LOT of just clipping my hair up. And made sure to always moisturize and seal my ends.

When my hair is long enough again (curly)...I'll be doing these styles again. As for now my PS are puffs and twists and my Wash n Go's are low mani.

Simply_elle

My main issue with bunning is the all day maintenance. For some reason, my hair gets whispy by the end of the day and I look like a 12 year old who was playing outside for recess. Re-bunning all day feels like a lot of manipulation. I have played with the idea of using extra hair for my buns. I found a great tutorial on it. Maybe that's where I can start...

Thanks for the comments everyone!

So...

I do this on a old twistout, and don't need to blow dry. Just some good ole eco styler and a scarf gets me results. I LOVE this bun and it's really saved me on my frustration of putting my hair away. I am NOT comfortable in weaves :nono: And this is a awesome stopgap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmgeuD5k388

Also- split your hair in two ponytails and split the hair and mush into one bun, It grabs all short hair and prevents wispies.

lp318lp

I think your thread title and your poll are asking two different things. Your thread question ask "Are wig/weaves necessary to reach our goals?" But your poll asks "Are wigs, weaves, braids, etc... part of your protective reggie?"

Those are two different questions altogether.

I answered the poll based on the poll's question, to which I responded "Yes" because those styles are part of MY reggie. Now to answer the question from the thread, I do not think that they are necessary at all. For those growers, like myself, who find themselves over-manipulating, touching, or just messing with their hair, I think that it is a means to an end. A way to keep from continually messing with our hair, and letting it do what it do.

Hope this helps!

me~:rolleyes:

LadyRaider

I hope not! I feel foolish in wigs! I have never worn a weave! I had braids for 2 days before I took them out (too tight!)

bebezazueta

I voted no. I've managed to retain really well and I don't even PS all the time. This is my first time PSing hard since I'm in the HYH challenge. I'm relaxed and a long term stretcher. I take really good care of my hair.

CurlyLawGal

I think your thread title and your poll are asking two different things. Your thread question ask "Are wig/weaves necessary to reach our goals?" But your poll asks "Are wigs, weaves, braids, etc... part of your protective reggie?"

I answered the poll based on the poll's question, to which I responded "Yes" because those styles are part of MY reggie. Now to answer the question from the thread, I do not think that they are necessary at all. For those growers, like myself, who find themselves over-manipulating, touching, or just messing with their hair, I think that it is a means to an end. A way to keep from continually messing with our hair, and letting it do what it do.

Hope this helps!

Good catch, however, I am interested in both questions because, to me, they go hand in hand. Specifically, I am curious to see how many ladies utilize the methods listed above in their styling regimen which begs the question "are they necessary to reach our(your) goals?" Also, I meant for the title to say "your goals", but I was rushing :giggle: . Sorry for the confusion!!

CurlyLawGal

Hope this helps!

Also... I can see how that is completely confusing, thus making the results of the poll inaccurate :-(. I should have added in more options to the poll such as "No, but I use them in my reggie". *sigh* Ah well... hopefully folks understand what I was getting at... Sorry everyone!

MariposaSexyGirl

No they aren't necessary. I've never used wigs nor weaves to grow my hair. I've reached all my goals and I retain my length just fine.

Sent from my Sprint EVO using LHCF app