Are wigs/weaves necessary to reach our goals?

Are wigs, weaves, braids, etc. a part of your PS reggie?

• Yes

Votes: 178 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 203 53.3%

• Total voters

venusfly

I can't see myself in a wig or weave. Ever. I would just feel too self conscious. Like everyone was looking at the hair on my head. Probably no one would care but I know what I'm comfortable with and I know I'd feel paranoid and uncomfortable. Im About to grow out my hair and I hope to do it without a wig or weave. I have worn braids in my teens but never a wig or weave.

AnjelLuvs

No, but I think it makes things so much easier... I dont wear em, but I am debating turning this wig I have, well yea, technically I have worn a weave/wig a total of 3 times in all my life... Many years ago, like 7 yrs.

So, I will be turning this wig I have into a 3/4, kinda a project to see if I can, and how it will look.... I just want to braid back of hair and let it sit under there for later weeks of postdum after relaxer, Lol

spellinto

It's definitely not necessary to invest in braids, wigs, weaves, etc. if you don't want to. I have never worn wigs/weaves before, and when I started my hair journey I stopped wearing braids w/extensions. If they work for you, that's excellent, but in terms of protecting your hair (ends), you can just bun your own hair or style it in whatever protective updo and it will be fine. I think if you're experiencing hand-in-hair syndrome or a demanding lifestyle where you can't style your hair regularly (or just want a new look), braids/weaves/wigs may be a necessary option, but in most circumstances they aren't needed.

Monaleezza

Nothing is necessary! But lots of things help! Hiding/protecting/moisturising/proteins/diet/water intake/sealing/weave/wigs/extensions/vitamins/rinses/no heat.... The list is endless!

You'll always find someone who wears their hair out flowing in the wind and never does anything sensible to it except brush and comb like a maniac and their hair flows like rupunzel!!!

If that is you, congrats! If it isn't...

Try something!! Lol

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
For me they weren't necessary. When I started my HJ, I had a curly perm and then I switched to texlaxing. I stopped wearing weaves and braids cold turkey at the start of my HJ, did a lot of PSing, moisturising, protein treatments and DCing and in about 2 years I was at WL. That's the same route I'm taking now that my hair is natural.

Dove56

I have never worn weave or wigs. I grew my hair to the end of my back wearing it in a bun and cowashing or doing wash-n-gos.

I am growing my hair back long now after cutting it 6 years ago. I am right back to my buns but I did order a model model invisible part 3/4 wig. :look: If it even looks a little fake I will never wear it lol.

Love718

Umm for me it is necessary... I dont know what id do if i didnt have me some weave and box braids... More so boxbraids bc weaves make me parinoid that my tracks will show

IMFOCSD

I voted Yes years ago...and I do agree now more than before lol. I am always having some set back when I don't wear wigs consistently... but that's just me.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Ogoma

Not for me. I have not worn wigs or weaves and I don't plan on doing so in the future. If I don't make BSL in June, I may change my tune :lol:

Jewell

No, for me it's not. Besides, at some point one needs to learn to deal with and care for their own hair...otherwise, what is the point of growing it and protecting it with wigs and weaves if you will never actually do anything with it aside from wear weaves and wigs?

Killahkurlz

No! Aside from the girls who actually enjoy wigs, I think too many ppl r using them as crutches. I watched a video about we as African Americans thinking our own natural characteristics r unattractive. A lot of us don't feel beautiful without other ethnicities' features which is upsetting to me. Our hair is beautiful and we r the ONLY ethnicity blessed with our type of hair. A true gift from God.

Killahkurlz

Are half wigs, wigs, sew-ins, phony ponies, etc. a part of your protective styling regimen? I have never used any of the above-mentioned styles, but I am curious to know how they have worked for you all.

Is there anybody out there that did not use these styles and still reach their goals? Is bunning and TLC enough, or do I need to make this investment (I will if necessary, but I'm trying to continue on my hhj on a budget!!)?

Thanks ladies :)

I tried to post a poll, but I'm not sure if it worked.

I've worn one wig and one weave during my journey (2 1/2 years so far) and I'm hear to tell u it's not necessary. My hair has surpassed the longest length my relaxed hair was able to obtain. I just utilized protective styling and take vitamins

AlliCat

Of course they're not necessary. But for *me* wigs make life 10x easier, as Daeuiel mentioned. It allows me to maintain my appearance (for work especially) while still nurturing my hair whenever I want. Best of both worlds IMO.

At first I was kind of hesitant to wear fake hair to work (I would typically rock buns and ponytails and was fine with that). The few times I straightened my hair people would complement but it wouldn’t be long before it was up in a bun again. The other week I made a U-Part wig (these things are pretty realistic looking) and it’s a major hit!! Even the people who know it’s not my hair compliment. I guess to them it looks like I’m putting more effort, but in reality, I’m being as hair lazy as possible lol. It’s a win all around

ms.blue

I use weaves and wigs as my main form of ps plus I'm really lazy in the mornings. Do I believe its necessary? No b/c their are plenty of women who don't ps and still retain length. Weaves/wigs might cause more trouble than they are worth if healthy hair practices are not used (washing/conditioning, moistizing and sealing and proper detangling methods). I'm not to lie b/c I use to talk ish about women who wore weaves/wigs b/c I didn't understand them but now I realize it is a great form of ps for me. To each their own.

Quoting myself lol. I became too dependent on my weaves and wigs that it became a crutch. I wouldn't dare to go outside with my natural hair which became a huge problem. I would take better care of the fake hair more than my real hair which is a no no...granted my hair did retain the length after I cut it but it wasn't healthy like it was before. I made a decision to leave the wigs and weaves alone and rock my natural hair this whole summer. Weaves and wigs are p.s. but shouldn't become a crutch.

koolkittychick

No, I don't think they are necessary. I have grown my hair from CBL to BSB without wearing wigs or weaves in less than two years.

They would more than likely look fake on me anyway, and knowing my scalp, I would be trying to tear it off my head within the first hour of installation, so why waste the money?

Renewed1

I don't think it's necessary. But I love it as an accessory and a protective style. I'm hoping to grow my hair to APL by the end of the year.

I also love how I can instantly change my look with different hairstyles.

xu93texas

For me, wigs are necessary. I don't use heat so there's no way to rock my short relaxed hair and still look cute while I'm growing my hair.

BonBon

I personally think strand thickness, hair type and personality has a lot to do with it.

For me, I have VERY fine 4a with tiny coils that are prone to breakage. I love TWAs and longer 4a/b hair, but hate that inbetween phase :nono:

I'm prone to impulsiveness, jumping on bandwagons, product junkie-ism, relaxer/texlax temptations and impatience when I grow with my hair unhidden which has lead to loads of setbacks. Wigs stop me doing so much in my hair, or thinking about it which means I just get pure growth.

If I had more thicker strands, looser coils and/or more patience things may be different.

softblackcotton

I personally think protective styling on the regular is MUST for growth retention for certain hair types both my mom and I have very dense, fine stranded 4b hair. I deep conditioned with heat and thoroughly wash twice monthly, once with protein strengthening and once with moisturizing; finger detangle ever so gently; stretch with curlformers, moisturize daily or as needed, trim every three months, protective style occasionally basically i do everything that looks like a great hair regime but I end up manipulating my hair nearly everyday because I just can't have second day hair unless I corn row. I get these little pieces of hair every time and it seems like my hair growth is crawling and it seems like my hair is thinning to me.

My mom on the other hand corn rows her hair back for up to two to three months at a time. Wears wigs 24/7, washes and deep conditions w no heat her hair once every two months (yuck), usually only moisturizes twice a month (she's gotten better), and tears a comb through her hair to detangle. Her hair is a lot denser and at least 8 inches longer than mine. She always hides her hair. We have the same hair I swear. My hair used to be that dense and almost as long when I did nothing to my hair but wear braids 24/7.

Yesterday, She happened to wear her hair out for the first time in 3 years and everyone was commenting how thick and long it was. I feel slightly embarrassed because I'm always hawking her for not taking care of her hair while her hair is striving and mine is faltering. I think I'm doing too much. I'm going to install some Havana twists every month and leave it be for the rest of the year. Frankly doing more doesnt equal more.

Last edited:

beana

I wear "protective styles" aka Weaves most of the time and have experienced great retention. My regimen is super simple and wearing weaves makes everything even easier. I don't use anything special (product wise) and retain at least 5" per year and I trim 2-3 times per year as well.

ckisland

I voted NO. I had braids in elementary and middle school, and once in high school, but I've never worn a weave or wig. I really don't understand where this question even comes from :look:. Weaves, wigs, and braids (extensions) tend to be the go to styles, but how many black women have BSL or longer hair? Compared to the population, about a handful. Obviously weaves and wigs have nothing to do with growth, because on here, youtube, and IRL, the vast majority of the girls/women on here, on youtube, and IRL with long and very long hair don't wear any of these. A couple of ladies out of all of the ladies with WL+ hair wear wigs or weaves and somehow that seems to be the go to PS when 95% of the ladies with long hair bun, twist or braid, or do lo mani styles with their own hair. I think not handling your hair or having to actually take care and style it (which is something everyone else in the world never thinks twice about doing) hinders people's length retention in the long run.

hillytmj

I voted no, but my sister is natural and wears them sometimes just to have fun and switch things up. I'm back to regular bunning and that seems to give me enough protection.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I like wigs, weaves, and extension braids. However they are not the only way to protect the hair and if not done properly they will do more damage than good. For the past year of my HHJ I have not worn a weave, wig or extension braids and my hair is longer than it had ever been while wearing these things. While I have always been natural and have always liked my hair, weaves and extensions became more like a crutch because I didn't want to deal/didn't know how to deal with my hair properly.

spacetygrss

No. However, I can see how they can be helpful for some people. As long as I leave my hair alone I retain length just fine, even as a slower-than-average grower.
I wash and deep condition my hair every 2-3 weeks, put my hair up in twists or braids and leave it alone (I do wash/cowash with the twists/braids in). Repeat. Works for me.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I think these accessories are a gift and a curse depending on the hands they are in. It is my personal choice not to be bothered with them, but I am not against them.

Some people can successfully grow long hair with these extensions; some cannot. With everything in life, its not about what you do, what don't do or how you do it, its about moderation.

Anticipatience08

This is what I've been struggling with lately...

I'm very dependent on my weave because of the growth I've gotten. But I'm tired of wearing weave!! I'd stop, but I'm afraid that I'll have all this damage and all of these problems as soon as I do. Plus, I used weaves to go natural and I have no idea how to take care of my hair....which is pitiful!

I don't know if I should stop wearing weaves for awhile, try some new hair to get a new style, try wigs so I can be versatile....no clue.

But this weave is definitely my security blanket lol

nubiennze

Absolutely not, but it's FUN!

This. I've only read the last page of the thread, but I haven't seen cut, color, etc. mentioned.

Coincidentally I dreamed last night that I ombre'd my natural hair--something I'd never do IRL--and cried when I rinsed out the bleach and saw that my hair looked like hay. :lol: IMO one of the biggest benefits of wigs/weaves is the flexibility to experiment with styles that may be too cumbersome/damaging to implement using your own hair. You can also "test drive" a style to ensure it suits your aesthetic/lifestyle before committing to it permanently.

I'm ready to switch up my big, curly look for a while, and I already have plans to gradually "cut" my hair into a bob with auburn highlights, then a pixie in time for my birthday in May. Meanwhile my big ol' 'fro is braided underneath and thriving, and I don't have to heat-assault it into submission. :afro:

ArinaDonne

I do not think that it is necessary. I did wear a wig for a few months after I had did a big chop (to the chin). I think that it worked but it did cause my hair to thin out and my hairline was bad, which I eventually fixed. I do wear a wig once in a while maybe once a week. I do know women who have grown their hair without any wigs, or extensions.

AmiJay

It is for me and I'm trying to get out of thinking it. When I get about 8 weeks post, I can only wear my hair in a bun. And not a pretty one. I like a good half wig for work to make me look put together. Last summer I did long kinky twists and they helped me stretch for 4 months. One of my goals for 2014 is to only wear my hair.