Are people excited for you now that your hair is growing longer?

mischka

shrinkage.
My mom and my sisters are so surprised almost to the point of awe that I am managing to grow my hair out. I stopped relaxing my hair in 2007 and most of the time since then I used sew ins to grow out the relaxed ends. I stopped wearing them last October and everyone was so surprised to see how my hair had grown. They think my hair is soooooo long. At APL being five-nine and of average weight, APL isn't long on me in my opinion. But other people think it's so long, probably because it's longer than the average non hair conscious black woman usually has.

I have a couple pictures on my facebook of my hair and have gotten a positive response from associate type people as well as friends. Basically I'm getting a lot of positive reinforcement for growing my hair out, lol. Do you find that people are excited for you and encourage you to keep growing once they see you doing it?

UniquelyDivine

My family & friends are always surprised to see my progress whenever I wear it down, my FH is probably more excited than me about my hair and he is constantly length checking me. He even understands hair speak now!

AlliCat

No one really notices because I always have my hair hidden or shrunken.

This is like me...although I want to start wearing it down more often my mind is always in protecctive style mode :ohwell:

But for my friends and fam that have seen my hair, they always make positive comments. Mostly how long and healthy it is. No one really "engourages" me to keep growing because I think to a lot of people my hair is considered long already.

Aireen

Well... I'm excited LOL. :look: :lol:

Seriously though, I think my mum is because even though her hair's long she never thought my hair would be growing out and catching up to hers. Some friends I have often say, "Oh wow, Aireen, your hair is growing so long, time for a haircut!" I take comments like those as excitement. :grin:

naturalTAN

My family & friends are always surprised to see my progress whenever I wear it down, my FH is probably more excited than me about my hair and he is constantly length checking me. He even understands hair speak now!

My guy best friend is the same way. He's in charge of all hair duties that I can't do alone (length checks (that's his thumb in my avatar :grin: ), taking photos, bringing up healthy hair in front of girls that I want to hairchat with :look: )) since my girl bf is abroad this semester. He already knew most of the language since me and my close friends are all hair conscious and frequently talk about it but now he's gone crazy. He seriously called me when he was with a mutual friend of ours when someone was flatironing her hair because the girl went over one piece four times. He was like, "I KNOW you're not supposed to do that! Talk to Tan." and made her call me.
:lachen: :lachen:

EllePixie

My friends on Facebook from college or back home often make comments about how nice my hair looks or how long it has gotten. I think it's funny (not in a bad way) because I don't talk to them ever, but when I put up a new profile pic they are always like, "Wow your hair is so long now!" And I'm like, "What? Not even." I'm telling you, we are spoiled on LHCF...lol

Sianna

Nope. For the most part, nobody really seems to care about my hair. Sure, I get the occasional (usually positive) remark, but other than that, el nada. Heck, even my own excitement is beginning to wain... :ohwell:

It doesn't matter though. I'm still sticking to my regimen and plan on growing my hair as long as I can.

GraceV

I don't know about them getting excited for me, but I know they come up asking for regimens and tips I KNOW they are too lazy to implement. smh! It's like clockwork, they see progress, they ask, I tell, they do nothing... they see more progress, they ask, I tell them the same things and they do nothing!!!

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Nope. For the most part, nobody really seems to care about my hair. Sure, I get the occasional (usually positive) remark, but other than that, el nada. Heck, even my own excitement is beginning to wain... :ohwell:

It doesn't matter though. I'm still sticking to my regimen and plan on growing my hair as long as I can.

Agreed 100%. Outside of the occasional "your hair is soooooooo pretty!" I don't get much. Like this poster said, hell even my own excitement is waining. :yawn:

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

Imani

My family thinks my hair looks nice and healthy. and while this is the longest its been in a while, its been this long before. I think folks will be excited later this year once it gets to lengths its never been before. I had one of them point blank tell me they don't believe it can.

i think my mom is more excited that I'm natural than the length

My stylist was really excited for me tho. I cut back on heat and went in to get it straightened for the first time in a while and she just kept going "wow, look at all this hair! its so healthy and well taken care of"

PearlyCurly

I don't know about them getting excited for me, but I know they come up asking for regimens and tips I KNOW they are too lazy to implement. smh! It's like clockwork, they see progress, they ask, I tell, they do nothing... they see more progress, they ask, I tell them the same things and they do nothing!!!

OMG! Amen!...

I dont think my hair is any where near long, BUT A lot of family members & friends think my hair is! Comparing to the "average" AA women where i live, i guess i can see why they think that way:look:
I appreciate the comments, since that always reminds me to take better care of my hair:yep:

Legally Natural

Yes, my mom and great-grandmother were super surprised when I straightened my hair in December. My great-grandmother kept mentioning something every time I walked into the same room with her.

LushLox

I think excited is the wrong word for folks over here, they are very complimentary though. I know I'm going to get bombarded with questions when I go to JA in the summer as I did a couple of years ago though.

mischka

shrinkage.

I love Snooki... she was soooo cute when she was thinner.

BostonMaria

I've been on the HHJ since 2007 and as soon as my hair hit APL most of my family got excited for me. My mom, she's so cute, gets all happy and says "mi niña linda" (my pretty girl) when she sees me and my hair is down (curly or straight).

My family has encouraged me to continue growing my hair out.

My coworkers are always in awe. I think my white friends like my hair, but they mostly ask me about my skin since I'm 40 and have no wrinkles.

LMAO get out of my head I was just about to post the same thing! :lachen: I give out alot of advice. I don't know anybody that has actually listened.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

QueenFee

Nope =? Well my current is always happy to do a length check every now and again and always reminds me to put on my *silky* Scarf or my Jiffy pop *Silk bonnet*=)

RegaLady

No one really cares. I showed Dh how long my hair has gotten on wash days and alll he says is all uninterested, "Uh-huh, yeah baby":ohwell:. I showed my mother recently who I was so excited to show my progress to and she was like, "Good, so you really growing your hair out, huh?!":look:. I think maybe once I hit my goal the pomp and circumstance will start pouring in:grin:.

chelseatiara

my family/friend are just glad i stop randomly cutting it:rolleyes:. My Dorm Mama is in love with my hair lol and thinks im some sort of hair guru when all my "professional" products shipped to the front office from sally's:look:. My SO just is kinda nonchalant about my hair especially when i see new growth and announce that im going natural for the 18th time lmbo:look: the most excited person is usually my great aunt. Every time i see her it's "your hair is so long" and "stop cutting it!":yep:

ChristmasCarol

Nope, no one has said anything! I began transitioning nearly 2 years ago- gone from SL to BSL during this time and nobody has noticed - yet. Maybe when I get to WL next year...

LovelyLouboutin

Hmmmm....I think people are. My best friends always excitedly comment on how long it's getting (I've always had healthy below shoulders hair but it would always break off at that length). One bestfriend says I'm obsessed with hair (in a bad way) and she thinks I equate it with being pretty. I shut that line of thinking down real quick.

One guy I'm dating loves my hair curly or straight...he just loves that I'm natural.

Another guy I'm dating has a hair fetish and loves loves long hair. When we first met my hair was always in a wet bun or curly ponytale. So when he first saw a pic of it straight he thought it was a weave. He is very excited with the length(I have to break him of his good hair/bad hair/normal black people can't grow hair long mentality). He also loves that I'm natural and don't wear weaves.

My mom is excited. She says I had to leave Cali for my hair to grow. Lol. I said no I just had to learn how to take care of it better. My sister is excited for me but hair isn't a big deal to her. She can cut it Halle berry length and within a year be back at past sl.

Most all I'm excited!!! I'm proud of myself that I made the commitment to take better care of my hair and to learn what I can and can not do.

LushLox

Nope, no one has said anything! I began transitioning nearly 2 years ago- gone from SL to BSL during this time and nobody has noticed - yet. Maybe when I get to WL next year...

Girl please, people have noticed. :lol: They probably just don't want to acknowledge it! Not that anyone has to acknowledge it of course. :look:

When I cut all my hair off, I talked so much about healthy hair practices to my good friend who doesn't take very good care of her hair. Now in a years time, I've grown a good bit of it back and by the end of this year I will be back where I started. My friends hair has remained the same and since I know she never trims, it must be from breakage:nono:.

I rarely talk with her anymore about ANYTHING hair related because I know she wants long hair but is not willing to work for it. She feels I do too much, but all I do is stay moisturized. I think she may be annoyed and has attributed my great progress to genes even though she's watched my entire process. I'm done with having other people notice length. When I flatiron, (which I rarely do), I may excitedly call my husband in who grunts and then walks away. :yep:That's about it. Maybe when I start swishing some BSL hair then people will want to talk hair again. Otherwise, I'm keeping my mouth shut.:yep:

...then again I did dye my hair purple so unfortunately most of my talking about hair is what is wrong with me and why on earth did I do it, lol.:grin:

Last edited:

Kurlee

My guy best friend is the same way. He's in charge of all hair duties that I can't do alone (length checks (that's his thumb in my avatar :grin: ), taking photos, bringing up healthy hair in front of girls that I want to hairchat with :look: )) since my girl bf is abroad this semester. He already knew most of the language since me and my close friends are all hair conscious and frequently talk about it but now he's gone crazy. He seriously called me when he was with a mutual friend of ours when someone was flatironing her hair because the girl went over one piece four times. He was like, "I KNOW you're not supposed to do that! Talk to Tan." and made her call me.
:lachen: :lachen:
awwww, he sounds so cool:grin:

~~HoneyComb~~

I had worn my hair short for about 15 years, so when people see me that hadn't seen me in a while they are surprised at the length. I wouldn't say they are excited, but they do notice.

trendsetta25

When it comes to my hair. I've always been the odd man out. My mom always had MBL hair, my sisters and cousins all had APL or longer hair (mind you they didn't know ish about growing HH)...but me....CBL or SL hair...so I cut it off and thought I would never have hair like them. After finding LHCF my family is so surprised to see how long it is (even though I personally think its still short...damn you ladies and your BSL and longer hair! Lol). Whenever I do a length check I would send them the pic and they would respond "beautiful, keep up the good work!" My mom would say "thank God" (not in a bad way :lachen:)

bauderlady

too funny! sounds about right!:spinning:

ChristmasCarol

Cream Tee

I started a thread regarding this topic a few months ago, but was told I was vain and petty for wondering why no one had noticed that I was nearly all natural and had grown to BSL, lol