What keeps you from getting longer hair?

What is the one thing that keeps you from longer hair?

• My hair only grows to a certain length then stops

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • My hair takes too long to reach the length I want

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • My ends break or my hair sheds before I get there

Votes: 107 62.6%
  • Some other reason

Votes: 27 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IMFOCSD

ITA with you both. My hair is coarse and needs lots of moisture. I get my hair relaxed and when it's almost time for a touch up, my hair sucks up any moisture that I put in it no matter what I do. I find this to be a huge challenge in my hair growth journey. I had a major set back recently thanks to me trying lots of products. :wallbash:I even had protein overload due to this one product that I will not name. I definitely blame myself for that and if I could turn back the hands of time, I wouldn't have used it. Damn!!

Why not? lol... I wanna know :yep:

IMFOCSD

In my case lack of $ is always an issue. Quality hair products are a bit expensive and people in my house have a tendency to be a bit heavy handed so things get used up so quick. I bought a 8oz bottle of $13 deep conditioner and my mom used it on my sister's hair...I could have screamed as I watched her squeeze away at my not so cheap DC...I mean she damn near used half the bottle in on session :eek: :stop:

so yeah, imma start hiding my stash :look:

locabouthair

Stylists happy slapping the relaxer on all your previously processed hair. :nono:

Stylists roughly combing through your new growth to detangle. :nono:

I swear from now on I will start doing my own relaxers.

thats why I started doing my own relaxers.

For me it's setbacks from stylists and poor diet.

Ramya

scissors. I change my mind about my hair all the time. If it's not laying right, I cut it, if I get bored or stuck in a hair rut, I cut it. :nono:

dany06

I would have to say its me. I make bad decisions. They are usually impulsive. For the most part its the fact that I cant decide whether I want to be natural or relaxed. I keep jumping back and forth with this idea so much that I never reach a good length.

hothair

Mine is a whole blend of what some ladies have mentioned, when I got past shoulder length last year, I fell off my routine massively, lightening my hair and not caring for it didn't help so I'm now back to neck length. I need to stay consistent with my routine as I only try new products by fitting them into my existing reggie...

LushLox

I need to keep my hands out of my hair. As it's starting to thicken I can't stop playing about in it. :rolleyes:

biancaelyse

When I get below BSL, I start looking in the mirror and thinking that I'd look better with shorter hair.

Growing is boring after a while.

TwistNMx

Welcome!
Before LHCF it was:

*inept hair stylists (burning my hair out with relaxers, hair dryers, and hot combs.
* I did not know the importance of moisture
,,,and a few other things. I was so frustrated and that's how I found LHCF in 2003. :yep:

It wasn't until I started to take care of my own hair that I saw the possibilities.

I haven't reached my hair goal....not nearly, but my hair is starting to come around. I've learned a lot here and I know you will too. :yep:

Stiletto_Diva

Currently single strand knots!!! Every time my hair has some growth I have a head full of single strand knots that need to be cut off, then I'm back to my previous length.

I think if I stop wearing wash-and-gos this will be eliminated.

When I had a relaxer I had excessive breakage.

Last edited:

kiarai

I have been having really bad breakage recently but have been travelling a lot with work. So havent had all my tools around me to help my hair

My hair is so short and Ive been trying to stretch my relaxer but I just cant take the breakage.

pri

Welcome to the forum! I have to say what kept my hair from retaining length was lack of moisture b/c now that I'm on top of it I'm able to retain length.

Anna9764

Hasty unhealthy habits, chemicals use too close together. I've learned to be more patient and looking cute everyday isn't whats healthy for my hair. Now I keep it braided or in a up-do of some kind..result: longer, healthier beautiful hair. Anna

MrsHdrLe

I honetly don't know yet. I can see my hair growth (i'm currently nearly 16 weeks post), but I have no idea what to do with my hair.:perplexed I'm hoping to do a texlax soon so I won"t damage my hair so much when washing/cowashing/detangling. I'm pretty sure I get enough shed/broken hairs to make a wig for a small child each wash day....AND it takes 2-4 hours for the whole process!:wallbash:

JinaRicci

I honetly don't know yet. I can see my hair growth (i'm currently nearly 16 weeks post), but I have no idea what to do with my hair.:perplexed I'm hoping to do a texlax soon so I won"t damage my hair so much when washing/cowashing/detangling. I'm pretty sure I get enough shed/broken hairs to make a wig for a small child each wash day....AND it takes 2-4 hours for the whole process!:wallbash:

Thanks angiet- are u doing a texlax to transition or to get a mild relaxer?
Just curious. thanks.

Junonia

Breakage and dryness. I've been consistent with trimming and I have not noticed significant breakage lately. I've also been using Pantene's nature fusion for my co-washes and it has helped with the breakage and shedding.