APL 2012 Challenge

livinthevida

I can safely claim APL yayyyyyy!!!!

Thanks for everyone posting their regimen and updates....it was a huge influence on my hair.

Time it took to go from CBL to APL is 8 months.

Good luck everyone.

Off to the BSL thread.

Regimen:

Co-Wash 2-3 times a week with Moisturizing conditioner.
Co-Wash once a week with Protein conditioner.
Shampoo once a week with hydrating shampoo.
Moisturize daily with shea moisture deep treatment masque.
Seal with coconut oil or whatever oil I have available. (lol)
Protective styles consisted of loose buns (primarily) , mini braids(once or twice out of the 8 months), twists, twist-outs, braid outs.
Finger detangle weekly and Wide tooth comb detangle monthly.
iamtan Congratulations! :cheers:

coolsista-paris

Congrats iamtan !!! Cool.that was some serious fast growth .good retention i must say. Im also on the bsl challenge. Ill do my best but i dusted 2 times in 2 months ..february and january ...so ill try .see you there.

kittenz

Congrats @iamtan!!!

Update on my hair color: Sooo... I used Soft Sheen Carson in some vibrant red tone and it really didn't lift as light as I wanted it to. I left the dye on the entire 30 minutes that the box recommended because I could see that the color wasn't taking but I refused to process it longer than that. Anyway, the roots were the perfect color and the rest is much darker (the roots seem darker now too). I like it but it's not what I was going for. I'll try again in a few months (probably with a different brands and I'll do my roots last since they process more quickly.) These are the best pic I have showing the color.

Before
before.jpg

After
after.jpg
after2.JPG
:rolleyes:

pookaloo83

I'm thinking about dying my hair black but iono. :ohwell:

I have taken out my yarn braids and been wearing braid outs and twist outs daily. I don't really protective style. :( I just rebraid nightly.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Evolving78

i will be going back to my roller setting reggie this weekend. i have abused my hair enough this month, so i need to get it back in order. i love rollersets, but i want someone else to do them for me.

ravenhairedcharm

I'm thinking about dying my hair black but iono. :ohwell:

I have taken out my yarn braids and been wearing braid outs and twist outs daily. I don't really protective style. :( I just rebraid nightly.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Me too. Well I'm thinking of darkening or "enhancing" the dark color of my hair naturally. I looked into this herb called Bhringraj that supposedly darkens hair, but I haven't found any solid info on how to use it as a hair dye! So frustrating! Anyone know of natural ways to darken your hair color? I'm trying to avoid the whole henna/indigo thing.

Last edited:

jayjaycurlz

Still not length checking.....I have to repeat it to myself whenever I get the urge.

I am so tempted too! :drunk:

I'm twisting my hair right back up - I don't think I could last until March 31st if I had full access to my hair strands.

Out of sight, out of mind...

TheNDofUO

Me too. Well I'm thinking of darkening or "enhancing" the dark color of my hair naturally. I looked into this herb called Bhringraj that supposedly darkens hair, but I haven't found any solid info on how to use it as a hair dye! So frustrating! Anyone know of natural ways to darken your hair color? I'm trying to avoid the whole henna/indigo thing.

I heard black tea darkens hair, too. Albeit slowly. I didn't experience it but I only used it 5 times.

lamaria211

i just used my megatek and wild growth oil mix on my scalp; Aveeno Nourish and Condition leave in treatment on my hair

bibs

kittenz said:
Update on my hair color: Sooo... I used Soft Sheen Carson in some vibrant red tone and it really didn't lift as light as I wanted it to. I left the dye on the entire 30 minutes that the box recommended because I could see that the color wasn't taking but I refused to process it longer than that. Anyway, the roots were the perfect color and the rest is much darker (the roots seem darker now too). I like it but it's not what I was going for. I'll try again in a few months (probably with a different brands and I'll do my roots last since they process more quickly.) These are the best pic I have showing the color.

Before

After

:rolleyes:

I think it looks cute! I was just talking with my hubby yesterday about going red in the front as well. I have natural layers and want to do the bangs. I watched cin75's video about bleaching on yt but think I'm going to have a professional do it (if I don't chicken out first).

I'm wondering how it'll affect my length goal though. I get so bored with my hair sometimes and usually cut when I feel like this. I don't want to cut but I don't want irreparable damage either.

kittenz

bibs thank you!! I was concerned about damage too but I'm a total DIYer although I know I would have gotten the color I wanted if I went to the salon. I'm really going to see how this patch handles the change and it might be a good thing that it didn't get too light since I have no experience with perm. color. Let me/us know if you do color but DONT cut!!

NikkiQ

Well my insane weekend of promos is finally over (hallelujah!!) But my hair plans have to remain on hold for a while longer. Heading to Dallas for the rest of the week to visit the in-laws so I may be MIA from the forum for a little while longer ladies. Keep holding it down for me as always!

PS...I'm still in my Celies. This past Saturday made 3 weeks!

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

lovely_locks

My hair is still falling out like crazy! Its been 3 months since I had my last relaxer...my husband is trying to get me to BC....again lol! I am having a hard time with my two textures...I feel that it is time for me to hide my hair in some braids.

bibs

kittenz said:
bibs thank you!! I was concerned about damage too but I'm a total DIYer although I know I would have gotten the color I wanted if I went to the salon. I'm really going to see how this patch handles the change and it might be a good thing that it didn't get too light since I have no experience with perm. color. Let me/us know if you do color but DONT cut!!

I'm trying my best not to cut. Everytime I get on here and see someone with bsl/wl hair I completely forget about wanting to go shorter. Please keep us updated on your color! I've never had anything permanent either and usually DIY but this is a huge plunge and I'm a chicken lol.

lovely_locks, braids helped me through my transition for sure. I only made it through one set and a 3 week sew in before I took the plunge and bc'd but my hair was badly damaged. Good luck keeping up your transition!

coolsista-paris

lovely_locks : i also transitionnened with braids for 10 months. I had good growth .i was pregnant and lazy so didnt do much while transitionning.

NikkiQ: have à good time at your in laws and here from you soon then. ;-)

Im still ps with my wig...Im gonna get addicted.Already thinking offre the futur wigs ill purchase in months..the thing is where i work there is NOTHING you can do à part à chignon on straight hair at neck length .What à piss !!!

longhairdreaming

Checking...I had to redo some of my yarn braids today. I only did the front edge 'cause it was out of control but I'll do the back this weekend. I'm so determined to keep this style for at least a month or two. Great news is my hair was soft and moisturized

kupenda

I can't tell if it's breakage or my edges growing back in, but I have a lot of short hairs at my edges all of a sudden. Im still recovering from a really bad sew in that literally ripped my edges out. Every morning I had new hairs with the bulbs on the ends just sort of floating around the front of my braids. My edges began growing in as soft cottony curls. But as of right now they're about three inches long. And I'm not sure if I've broken it off from wearing buns, or if I should be ecstatic from regrowth in a seemingly lost area. Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

indarican

hey all, my hair care has taken a serious back seat over the past two weeks, i actually have had my hair in celie braids under my wig for the past two weeks, i havent dc at all, i have been off and on with the leave in and oiling my scalp, i even been slippin on my vitamins. Im going to get back on track tonight, but this stomach flu i got makes me want to just get in bed and not move.

GIJane

hey all, my hair care has taken a serious back seat over the past two weeks, i actually have had my hair in celie braids under my wig for the past two weeks, i havent dc at all, i have been off and on with the leave in and oiling my scalp, i even been slippin on my vitamins. Im going to get back on track tonight, but this stomach flu i got makes me want to just get in bed and not move.

indarican I hope you feel better. But maybe you should take your vitamins to help build your immune system. Drink plenty of liquids.

indarican

i feel a bit better today, hungry. I actually stopped taking the vitamins because i thought they were the reason for the stomach issues. As soon as i can get back to my normal eating routine ill be right back on it.

Seamonster

Wow, I didn't know that. I use bhringrag and my hair has gotten darker. Some of my grey hairs have disappeared, and some have a coppertone. Didn't know what was causing it.