APL 2012 Challenge

TheNDofUO

Hope this works ^
Finally! My hair at the beginning of my hair journey... August 2011 hasn't grown much since to be honest... :( The ends are better at least
Wont be doing another length check till end of Feb

*crosses fingers*

My hair now. *le sigh* this is six months?

VictoriousBrownFlower

I haven;t been doing much to my hair but its growing like a weed. I did my go to style the other day and was surprised that my puff had gotten so big. When I measured the back it was around 9 inches. I cant wait to see where it is come june.

I'm 10 months post big chop so thats surprising. I bcd down to 5 inches and now its 9 inches. Thats not bad. If I do say so myself.

SincerelyBeautiful

I'm 9 weeks post right now and trying to stretch to 10 weeks. This my my first time stretching this long. I usually only stretch 8 weeks so this is great news thus far. I'm still under my wig and tonite I will be pre pooing my hair with EVCO overnite for tomorrows wash day. Then I'm under the wig again and I keep getting compliments on it lol so yeah I'm keeping this wig style for about a month then I'm switching up.

ravenhairedcharm

I'm officially joining the challenge :) I'm looking to achieve a pretty full APL and possibly even past that, since I'm giving myself till the end of December. I just wanted to have a goal in mind.

~Current hair length: Longest Layer is at the top of my shoulder blades, I think
~Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
~APL goal month: December
~Current Reggie and styling choices: Nothing special, just washing & deep conditioning every week
~What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? N/A

I'll try to post a pic later on

skraprchik

I decided not to get another weave install in March. It was a good experiment, and a nice break from my hair. I can't stand the itchies though. I wore it in a roller set for about 5 days, then washed and put it in mini-twists. I hadn't had them in awhile, so I've been nicely surprised by my growth. Even more exciting, they will now stay up with the use of a hair stick or clip. Only my edge twists need bobby pin help.

I'm going to try to leave these twists in for a few weeks and pin them up with a barrette or hairstick every day.

jayjaycurlz

Almost done taking down my braids after having them in for about 7 weeks. I'd like to do a protein treatment. Do you guys think I should do an Aphogee 'hard' protein treatment or a henna gloss?

Forgot to add that I plan on twisting my hair back up tomorrow.

Last edited:

AlwaysNatural

Waiting for my split ender to come in the mail. Going to cut off 3/4 of an inch. And start wig searching. Def going to start taking msm again. Got good results taking 2000mcg in the summer.

BlkOnyx488

Welp I made it through the weekend and didn't take my hair down, Thank Goodness I had a busy weekend cuz otherwise I would have.
first weekend in March I will take it down, length check and trim my ends in that order LOL

Fyne

jayjaycurlz I would go with how your hair feels; if it needs the protein then Aphogee, but if your doing it because its been 7 weeks but your hair feels ok then henna!

Poutchi

I am luuuuuvvvving my braids :)... so tiny I feel like just dealing with my hair and the braiders only used half a pack for the whole head anyways...
But I am amazed by the amount of growth I have ...Hopefully it is all growth not slippage... Cuz I cannot pull the extensions out so I assume most of it is just growth.
I have started sealing with hempseed oil and I moisturize with a mix of aloe vera juice and AOHSR conditionner...
How is everyone doing this monday??? wishing you all a great week!!!
Luuuvvvv :)

Poutchi

And to add to my last post ... I think I am going a full year without heat ( flat iron, blow dryer) this year ... I made sure I stocked up in black plastic thread for african threading braids that I will use to stretch my hair instead of blow drying it... and Doing that on damp hair...hmmm can just see how that will help in keeping hair moist longer :)

HauteHippie

I did a henna treatment yesterday. I was a little worried b/c I can't even recall how many henna/cassia treatments/glosses (and at least one hard protein) I did over the last two months and I thought I'd overdone it. It's worth noting that I hadn't henna'd or used protein for like 3 years and my fine strands were splitting or just breaking somehow.

2 weeks ago, I decided to do my own balayed highlights (totally misspelled). Me, the girl whose go-to style for any occasion is a ponytail. The girl who is so happy the top-knot is in b/c it's one of two styles I can do.

Well, I did a bleach bath/conditioner on my ends. For some ridiculous reasons eventually put it higher up, on my roots, immediately got bright pink/orange hot roots and looked like a flame. I, then, had to dye my hair b/c a toner would not cut it. I used a semi-permanent and I'd been scratching my head ever since.

I've babied my hair with my favorite dc, sprayed it with Mane and Tail leave in mixed with drops of lavender oil, ghe'd at night and barely manipulated it at all for 2 weeks.

Yesterday, I did a henna gloss for about 2.5 - 3 hours while cleaning, running errands, and doing laundry in my immediate hood. I rinsed it out for-ev-er. Shampooed with some leftover sample Just For Me hair milk shampoo I'd gotten for like 50 cents. Rinsed some more, applied ors with silk dreams added onto my ends, watched some tv, rinsed it out. Rinses tan. Ugh. Dunked my head in a sink full of water 3 times for literally 10 minutes each, did a final rinse and perhaps I just hoped myself into believing it ran clear. I then did an aloe vera tea rinse, followed by an ACV rinse. My hair felt awesome.

I put a little rosemary mint suave condish on it and blew it partially dry on warm/cold at the low speed.I'm about 8 weeks post, so I have to stretch my roots a bit in some way at the start of it air drying. Or it will loc. Into very small locs. Today I go in for a roller set and I can't make it to Juanita. I scurred.

Last edited:

GIJane

@TheNDofUO There is definitely growth. In the original pic your hair was almost even with the top of your shoulders. Now your hair is below that point. It is definitely thicker and it looks healthier to me. Excellent job. :yep:

iamtan

I can safely claim APL yayyyyyy!!!!

Thanks for everyone posting their regimen and updates....it was a huge influence on my hair.

Time it took to go from CBL to APL is 8 months.

Good luck everyone.

Off to the BSL thread.

Regimen:

Co-Wash 2-3 times a week with Moisturizing conditioner.
Co-Wash once a week with Protein conditioner.
Shampoo once a week with hydrating shampoo.
Moisturize daily with shea moisture deep treatment masque.
Seal with coconut oil or whatever oil I have available. (lol)
Protective styles consisted of loose buns (primarily) , mini braids(once or twice out of the 8 months), twists, twist-outs, braid outs.
Finger detangle weekly and Wide tooth comb detangle monthly.

Last edited:

Realhairdontcare

Current hair length: collar bone My hair is natural. My current Reggie is washing every two weeks and putting castor oil on my scalp I am new to the board and want to join the challenge. I will post a starting pic later and I want to reach apl by June

faithVA

[USER=317491 said:
iamtan[/USER];15316193]I can safely claim APL yayyyyyy!!!!

Thanks for everyone posting their regimen and updates....it was a huge influence on my hair.

Time it took to go from CBL to APL is 8 months.

Good luck everyone.

Off to the BSL thread.

Regimen:

Co-Wash 2-3 times a week with Moisturizing conditioner.
Co-Wash once a week with Protein conditioner.
Shampoo once a week with hydrating shampoo.
Moisturize daily with shea moisture deep treatment masque.
Seal with coconut oil or whatever oil I have available. (lol)
Protective styles consisted of loose buns (primarily) , mini braids(once or twice out of the 8 months), twists, twist-outs, braid outs.
Finger detangle weekly and Wide tooth comb detangle monthly.

Congratulations. And it looks like you are already BSB. And you will be BSL before the summer.