Anyone thinking of relaxing in '09?

MonPetite

Yep. :yep:

I've had long relaxed hair, texlaxed and natural (though not long) hair now.

All healthy, all shiny, all strong and I NEVER WORRIED ABOUT GETTING WET.:lachen:

The only one that ever restricted me was my natural hair. I don't like puffs, cornrows, twists or braids...which is all my natural hair would do. It would take 5 years even with Megatek to get it to a length where I could enjoy it -IE. do the styles I enjoy. :nono:

I LOVE wearing new styles EVERYDAY.:yep:

If I relax by the end of the year with MT, I'll be MBL...AND SEE EVERY INCH. :look:

My shrinkage is 95%. Crushing.:ohwell:

In sixth months I'll make a final, absolute decision.

I BCed because I needed the emotional journey and I had negative thoughts about black hair. Now I see it IS beautiful (whether I wear it or not I'll always compliment a gorgeous fro) and the journey I needed is done and DONE. Now what's left is what would suit my lifestyle. Time will tell.

TrustMeLove

i really don't think it cost more to maintain relaxed hair....i am natural i spend more money now than i did when i was relax..i could never understand why people say that...

I can help you with why I say this...

For me personally, I couldn't stretch for long periods of time 8 weeks minimum 10 weeks max. My natural texture would get into a beat down brawl with my relaxed hair. So I had to stay on schedule for my relaxers. And yes I had LHCF for probably 2+ years while relaxed. I lurked for a long long long time. lol. So I had all the tips and tricks etc.. And than I joined and was able to get even more tips.

With my natural hair all I really really need is a bottle of TJ Nourish Spa Conditioner, Baking Soda, ACV, and a good DC which I think might just be ORS Replenishing Pak. That's if I am being honest...lol but of course I have to have alot more because hair stuff is just fun...:lachen:

Now even if I needed the same products above for my relaxed hair (Which wouldn't be enough I need at least 3 more products) I still needed to come up on that 85 bucks every 8-10 weeks for my relaxer.

So for TML taking care of my natural hair is WAY cheaper than taking care of my relaxed hair. Now for you or others it might be totally different. Your natural hair might be really demanding, sensitive, or picky etc..my hair is kind of on an all natural tip (so picky :lachen:).

TrustMeLove

i have been thinking about it my last perm was in june 04 and my hair has not grew that much at all it stretches to my collarbone i am not retaining any lenght

I feel the same way and my hair is the same way. Been natural since mid 2005 hair stretches to a little below collar bone and shoulder in the back. I've had to switch up my hair routine and products. I don't wash my hair loose and once in a full moon will I wear it loose. I've been threatening to start pressing it, but this nappy stuff is so much easier to deal with.

You might want to ty becoming a pressed sista to retain length, before going back to relaxers. GL

luckiestdestiny

Oh wow - how much time do you anticipate before reaching WL? I'm WL and just about ready to relax. I loooove my natural hair, but would like shorter detangling sessions, and curlformer/ roller sets which last longer than an hour. Please keep us informed. Which relaxer do you plan to use?
Congrats on reaching waist length. Right now I just found out before I braided back up my hair that I'm an inch past Mid back. So I should be there shortly. However, I want to cut out some of the remaining layers so that I can have the full waist length look...that may take a little longer in the year. I anticipate waist length by April/Mayish w/o set backs). I definitely know what you mean about shorter detangling sessions!!!!! I'm studying the relaxers on the forum and pming those w/ wonderful hair that have had consistent growth, length, health.

So far this is what I have this is a copy paste of my pm to a member of this site who asked me the same question:
I have heard great things about ORS, Mizani Butter Blends, Linange (except one review, but I quizzed the reviewer and she said she switched from no lye to lye and that can cause shedding), Vitale mo body.

Some others: phyto specific people love but I'm afraid of the dryness that EVERYONE talks about. As I already have a thyroid disease, I don't need dryer hair! My hair used to snap off because it became so dry after I got sick, so that's a no no! I've combated that with deep moisture dc's and I'm not going back!

I was leaning with Vitale, or Linange, with ORS coming in 3rd as there as there are so many people that I've quizzed with long term use who have great heads of hair (w/ exception of Linange as there are no long term uses as it's so new, but linage reviews keep saying how soothing and gentle it is...plus I actually like alter ego who makes it). Sadly I'm juding by the condition of the hair of people recommending it, because that's easiest. I'm also going by how long they've used it, and also stalk their fotki's too.:grin: I am NOT playing. :lachen::lachen:This is serious biz to me right now, because if I'm going relaxed...I'm doing it after lots of research.

I like the idea of butter blends, but lots of people talk about how strong Mizani is and I'm looking for gentle. I don't need super straight hair. I want it to have body, look good,and most importantly stay healthy w/ my consistent efforts of course. I don't want a relaxer derailing my efforts (just because it causes breakage or damage despite what I do on my end!)
SE was on my list, until that thread popped up.

--------------------------
So that's pretty much it. SE...I noticed a thread about people having shedding, thinning and that's a no no for me! I'm still going to research until I have what I think is the best. But that's what's in running for me right now.

I'll keep you informed if I take the plunge and provide pics!

BTW I co-sign with loving natural hair, which is why I've been dragging my feet for so long. But w/ detangling and styling, it's just too much time with the length.

Last edited:

skyborn09

I'm going to relax. I've been transitioning for 7 months now and it's just not working for me. I Got alot of breakage and I know if I go back to relaxed hair I can at least take proper care of it and grow it long and healthy. I reached BSL on the brink of MBL and I miss thatwith my relaxed hair....now I'm back to APL.

ajoyfuljoy

Congrats on reaching waist length. Right now I just found out before I braided back up my hair that I'm an inch past Mid back. So I should be there shortly. However, I want to cut out some of the remaining layers so that I can have the full waist length look...that may take a little longer in the year. I anticipate waist length by April/Mayish w/o set backs). I definitely know what you mean about shorter detangling sessions!!!!! I'm studying the relaxers on the forum and pming those w/ wonderful hair that have had consistent growth, length, health.

So far this is what I have this is a copy paste of my pm to a member of this site who asked me the same question:
I have heard great things about ORS, Mizani Butter Blends, Linange (except one review, but I quizzed the reviewer and she said she switched from no lye to lye and that can cause shedding), Vitale mo body.

Some others: phyto specific people love but I'm afraid of the dryness that EVERYONE talks about. As I already have a thyroid disease, I don't need dryer hair! My hair used to snap off because it became so dry after I got sick, so that's a no no! I've combated that with deep moisture dc's and I'm not going back!

I was leaning with Vitale, or Linange, with ORS coming in 3rd as there as there are so many people that I've quizzed with long term use who have great heads of hair (w/ exception of Linange as there are no long term uses as it's so new, but linage reviews keep saying how soothing and gentle it is...plus I actually like alter ego who makes it). Sadly I'm juding by the condition of the hair of people recommending it, because that's easiest. I'm also going by how long they've used it, and also stalk their fotki's too.:grin: I am NOT playing. :lachen::lachen:This is serious biz to me right now, because if I'm going relaxed...I'm doing it after lots of research.

I like the idea of butter blends, but lots of people talk about how strong Mizani is and I'm looking for gentle. I don't need super straight hair. I want it to have body, look good,and most importantly stay healthy w/ my consistent efforts of course. I don't want a relaxer derailing my efforts (just because it causes breakage or damage despite what I do on my end!)
SE was on my list, until that thread popped up.

--------------------------
So that's pretty much it. SE...I noticed a thread about people having shedding, thinning and that's a no no for me! I'm still going to research until I have what I think is the best. But that's what's in running for me right now.

BTW I co-sign with loving natural hair, which is why I've been dragging my feet for so long. But w/ detangling and styling, it's just too much time with the length.

Hawaiian Silky lye is a good texlaxer. I relaxed a couple of days ago, my first time using it so I underprocessed my back. But all my NG ended up with a very uniform curl. That was the best texlaxed "look" my hair ever accomplished.

But it will also give you bone straight. You just have to figure out the proper processing time. I am 4a. Hope that helps.

They also have fine, mild and super.

healthyhair2

I am DEFINITELY going to relax in '09! I went from natural to texturized, then I didn't do anything else for a year. My hair is longer now and THICK, THICK, THICK so I want to see the length and avoid tangles. I think that with what I know now, my hair will really be healthier.

Mandy4610

i really don't think it cost more to maintain relaxed hair....i am natural i spend more money now than i did when i was relax..i could never understand why people say that...
I am natural too and I spend about the same as I used to when I was relaxed because I was a DIY head.

Vinyl

What types of things do you spend money on when relaxed, other than the relaxer? I've mostly been wearing braids/weaves which I can't afford to keep doing anymore. I think that with LHCF I'd be able to have healthy relaxed hair, but I worry about the cost/maintenance/getting a bad relaxer. (I've never had one that took and didn't burn.)

Do you think a poor college student would be able to afford proper relaxer maintenance?

ajoyfuljoy

What types of things do you spend money on when relaxed, other than the relaxer? I've mostly been wearing braids/weaves which I can't afford to keep doing anymore. I think that with LHCF I'd be able to have healthy relaxed hair, but I worry about the cost/maintenance/getting a bad relaxer. (I've never had one that took and didn't burn.)

Do you think a poor college student would be able to afford proper relaxer maintenance?

absolutely.

For the basics, you would need:

shampoo
cowash condish
DC
protein
leave in/moisturizer
oil

seriously. If I had only those things I'd be straight.

Now if you want to get into styling you could use a dome dryer (with rollers and accesories or blow dryer and flat iron.

You'd also need some scarves to wrap your hair up in and other miscellaneous things like hair clips, scrunchies, bobby pins or whatever.

I have A LOT of products and I'm trying to use them up and get back to those basics. It doesn't have to be complicated at all.

Solitude

OP, good luck on your decision. I'm relaxed & I don't have to worry about my hair getting wet. There's no reversion. It's just annoying to get a style messed up, but that's any woman's hair. I just wrap or pincurl it damp and it's back to the same style! I thought I would consider transitioning in 2009, but I'm only 7 weeks post & I'm feeling doubtful about that plan. lol

DragonPearl

Honestly, I have been wanting to relax my hair for the past 3 years. :blush: The only thing that's stopping me is the thought of dealing with new growth and 2 different textures of hair. I might texlax, as it might be a less drastic alternative.

hopeful

Good luck OP and the other ladies considering relaxing. I relaxed this summer after being natural almost 2 1/2 years. No regrets, I'm much happier, although on occasion I do miss the look of my natural hair (but I don't miss how long it took me to wash/detangle/twist, etc.) My one piece of advice is to be very careful after relaxing because your hair will be different and will need different handling. I experienced some breakage, not from the relaxer but because I was a little too rough with my hair and once your hair is relaxed if certain areas were weak or sensitive (when you were natural) they will be even weaker and more sensitive. Other than that I am really enjoying my hair.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I was natural, now I'm relaxed. I go to the salon for touchups only.

For me relaxed hair is easier and I wash my hair twice a week. So yep, I can get my hair wet without undue crazyness happening. :)

LOLOL! That siggy. You are kidding me!!! Where the heck was that grocery store? Morons! I bet they had a side display of cheese that would go alongside that ham??

Aggie

Me, me, I am definitely relaxing in 2009. And who said you can't get your hair wet once relaxed? My hair don't revert when wet. The only thing you have to remember is when you get a fresh relaxer, not to wet within the first 3 days of the relaxer or a slight reversion may take place because the neutralizing process takes approximately 3 days after a relaxer to be completed. After that it's safe to wet your hair and style as usual. Just remember moisture is your friend when you have relaxed hair.

FlyRob

Definitely! I have been natural for 3 years, but I have had enough of the knots, split ends, breakage, and especially the detangling.

Last edited:

Mystic

I am not thinking about it per sey but when I get to BSL, there is a strong possibility (1%, lol) that I might relax with phyto 1 for quick ease in wearing straight styles - we'll see.

pringe

i've been nat'l for 7 years and i'm thinking about it real seriously right now. that or texlaxing

Carolina18

Bumping.... I forgot about this thread. Thanks for your reply LuckiestDestiny.

LadyPaniolo

Yes, I really am struggling with the decision. I like my texture, mostly. But I just can't stand the single strand knots, the tangles, and the marathon detangling sessions.

Between chasing 2 toddlers, running a home, homesteading and packing up our house to move.... :spinning: a relaxer is looking better and better. And I'll be going to nursing school in a few months on top of it all!

I'm putting in a sew-in just so I don't have to fool with it for a while. Once I get to waist length I'm hoping I won't be as tempted to relax. If I am, though, I may just do it.

harrison

I've thought about it and made an appt for tomorrow to have it done professionally. I've been natural for over 10 years. This will be just a change in the scene of my life. The hairdresser is aware of my desire to be underprocessed. I don't want straight hair. But I would like to be able to put 2 cornrows in my hair in less than an hour.:drunk:

pringe

harrison i totally understand. I keep thinking my hair should be healthier right? Well i have more split ends than i've ever had when i had a relaxer. My hair is growing and its longer than its ever been but im sick of detangling forever and a day and not looking like a grown up. im 28 and i look 18 all the time. I love my nat'l hair, i really do but for the past 6 months i've really been considering a drastic change. idk i havent fully decided.

DozenRoses99

Not me. I'm starting to find out which products and techniques really work for my natural hair. I'm looking forward to my natural hair getting longer and longer. The only thing that I miss about my relaxed hair is not having to worry about shrinkage and the lack of reversion when humid outside.

....But definitely do what is best for you. There are tons of ladies on this forum who have gorgeous relaxed hair. You may want to thoroughly their review threads and fotkis.

Kay.Dee

I think I'm getting over the relaxer bug. I just needed to leave my hair alone for a while.