Anyone thinking of relaxing in '09?

Vinyl

I'm natural and have been thinking of it... I want to either relax or get sisterlocks. I know that it's possible to have healthy relaxed hair but how complicated is the process? Also, is it true that you can't get your hair wet?

Anyone other naturals thinking of relaxing in '09?

Carolina18

Yep.... I have been planning to for a while. The only thing stopping me is reversion - my hair never stays relaxed, and it might stand less of a chance doing so after all my henna treatments, DCs etc.

Last edited:

msa

I'm natural and have been thinking of it... I want to either relax or get sisterlocks. I know that it's possible to have healthy relaxed hair but how complicated is the process? Also, is it true that you can't get your hair wet?

Now you've been on the board longer than I have...you must know the answer to that question. Did you mean is it true you can't get your hair wet right before relaxing?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I was natural, now I'm relaxed. I go to the salon for touchups only.

For me relaxed hair is easier and I wash my hair twice a week. So yep, I can get my hair wet without undue crazyness happening. :)

Kay.Dee

I'm the same as you op
I either want to lock my hair or relax.
I know those are two extremes but my loose natural hair has been frustrating me so much. I'm trying to protective style until I feel like making a decision, if I do at all.

baddison

natural for good

Yup!!! I was thinking about it....and then decided that I just couldn't wait 'til 2009:lachen:

I ended my 3yr natural journey on December 20th, along with my 6month hardcore C&G challenge,.....3 days ago...whooohoooo...!!

I am so proud of myself and my decision.:yep: There are enough gorgeous relaxed heads on this board that I can mentor from.....:grin:

Tybi

My hair was the healthiest while relaxed from the age of 10 to about 24. I got compliments a lot, which is how I know it looked good!:grin:

Anyway, I kept it extremely simple, and wet my hair at least 3 days a week. Lots of roller sets, and only got my hair professionally relaxed which helped with over processing. Hair grew like a weed back then...

zioninspiresme

Yep, I was thinking about it. Still unsure though. The only thing stopping me is I don't want to regret relaxing . My last relaxer was Sept 2006 (I think). I dont miss the process of relaxing, BUT in order to acheive a decent style the pleases ME, it takes a good while to do on my natural hair. I dont remember it taking so long with my relaxed hair, but maybe thats because I had no clue how to properly take care of it.

I guess I have to think long and hard on this one.

vkb247

OP: A lot of relaxed ladies avoid the rain because if their hair gets wet (and they are wearing it straight) it will get poofy or they lose their style. Is that what you mean? This is one of the biggest reasons why I won't ever relax straight again because I don't like thinking about my hair that much. Being careful about rain, mist, shower, and especially swimming is too much work for me. I live on an island with ultra humid weather :drunk:

Yup!!! I was thinking about it....and then decided that I just couldn't wait 'til 2009:lachen:

I ended my 3yr natural journey on December 20th, along with my 6month hardcore C&G challenge,.....3 days ago...whooohoooo...!!

I am so proud of myself and my decision.:yep: There are enough gorgeous relaxed heads on this board that I can mentor from.....:grin:

I want to see pics!

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

OP: A lot of relaxed ladies avoid the rain because if their hair gets wet (and they are wearing it straight) it will get poofy or they lose their style. Is that what you mean? This is one of the biggest reasons why I won't ever relax straight again because I don't like thinking about my hair that much. Being careful about rain, mist, shower, and especially swimming is too much work for me. I live on an island with ultra humid weather :drunk:

I want to see pics!

Me 2!!!

temptressparadise

i have been natural for almost two years..and i am ready to relax in my opinion and experiece it is easier to maintain plus i am tired of split ends and detangling...the problem is i am scared i am going to regret it...although some days i am absolutely in love with my natural hair there are alot of days when it frustrates the hell out me.. everytime i go to work late it is always because of my hair...i am giving myself untill i am complete 2years natural which will be in may 09 but if i still strongly feel the need for a relaxer like i do now..then something gotta give..

anniev2

to the ladies who are thinking about relaxing in 2009:

will you...

• relax straight?
  • OR
  • texturize?
  • OR
  • something else...what else?

AshMoBev

I just relaxed!!!! Last night :):mwahahafire: You know....i have a lot of fotki friends that i look up to who have super long hair who are RELAXED! I have super thick hair and the busier i get with work and school the harder it is for me to manage my hair. Can we say Stress!! But yah, so i figure this will make it a tad bit more manageable. I have had relaxed hair before when i was younger....then I've texturized it the last two summers....so i figured hey why not! Considering my lurker status, i've done lots of research and have gotten so much info (thanx to you lovely ladies) so i gave in. I used silk elements (per the rave reviews). Loved it....my hair isnt relaxed bone straight....so i still have some versatility....but it's definitely more manageable. I may do a corrective to get it a bit straighter, maybe not..OH HEY......I REACHED MY BRASTRAP GOAL!!! :woohoo: MBL here i come!.....

Mandy4610

I might texlax once i hit my 1yr nappiversary.
Mostly just because I am so challenged by what to do with my hair since my health does not always make it possible for me to spend hours doing my hair.
I know that as my hair gets longer, it will become more difficult to handle.

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Definitely considering it. Like others have said, I hesitate because I don't want to regret it. But BSL type 4 hair I'm thinking would just be too much. But also, trying to stretch for long periods with 4b hair might not go so well. :ohwell:

Vinyl

OP: A lot of relaxed ladies avoid the rain because if their hair gets wet (and they are wearing it straight) it will get poofy or they lose their style. Is that what you mean?

Yeah, this is what I was asking about... I'm not really a style type of person, I mostly just do the maintenance and then let it hang.

I know I should know this stuff by now, but I never really visited the relaxed threads since I'm not relaxed. So I know nothing about them except Phyto relaxer. :look:

BklynHeart

If I still had the same stylist I would consider it. She had my hair healthy and long for 13 years. Since she moved, every place I've gone to has left my hair thin and limp. But the way this recession is, being natural is a little easier on my pockets.

TrustMeLove

I ain't neva eva eve eva relaxing again. The only thing I have been threatening is starting to press more often. But, that is way way too complicated. Working with my naps is extremely simple and when I did get my hair pressed that one time goodness it made everything so much more complicated.

I couldn't walk fast (or I would sweat), I couldn't hop in the shower (I had to double wrap my hair with shower caps), I couldn't walk in the rain, I couldn't be out if it was humid...Now my hair was banging. especially the day after the press. goodness yum yum.

But, I really had to be mindful of my hair to keep the style and I don't have to do that with my naps. My naps have been so easy to mantain.

TrustMeLove

If I still had the same stylist I would consider it. She had my hair healthy and long for 13 years. Since she moved, every place I've gone to has left my hair thin and limp. But the way this recession is, being natural is a little easier on my pockets.

Ok...It hit me one day oh my goodness what would I do if I needed a relaxer RIGHT NOW! Unemployed student? I barely had money to maintian physical needs. And the thought of shelling out 85 bucks for a relaxer? I just didn't have it like that....But that is soon to change PTL!

Junebug D

Nope, I plan on staying natural through 2009. I know it takes patience, but I've been working with it long enough to be used to it by now. I am worried about what happens when I have 12 or 15 inches of hair though, heh... but i've got a while before that happens!

luckiestdestiny

I'm pretty much doing it. I want to wait until I'm almost waist length...also it gives me time to "re think" about it before taking the dive. I have thick hair, I'm a student and work full time, and act and the longer my hair gets, the more time it takes to style. I need to simplify my routine. If I do it it will be straight but not bone straight.

temptressparadise

Ok...It hit me one day oh my goodness what would I do if I needed a relaxer RIGHT NOW! Unemployed student? I barely had money to maintian physical needs. And the thought of shelling out 85 bucks for a relaxer? I just didn't have it like that....But that is soon to change PTL!

i really don't think it cost more to maintain relaxed hair....i am natural i spend more money now than i did when i was relax..i could never understand why people say that...

CarefreeinChicago

i have been thinking about it my last perm was in june 04 and my hair has not grew that much at all it stretches to my collarbone i am not retaining any lenght

Carolina18

I'm pretty much doing it. I want to wait until I'm almost waist length...also it gives me time to "re think" about it before taking the dive. I have thick hair, I'm a student and work full time, and act and the longer my hair gets, the more time it takes to style. I need to simplify my routine. If I do it it will be straight but not bone straight.

Oh wow - how much time do you anticipate before reaching WL? I'm WL and just about ready to relax. I loooove my natural hair, but would like shorter detangling sessions, and curlformer/ roller sets which last longer than an hour. Please keep us informed. Which relaxer do you plan to use?