Anyone else hibernating for the winter? Post your reggies here!

sheba1

Hey Everybody,

My hair and I have had a great summer! Did a bunch of new stuff; tried my first BKT, learned of the wash-n-go and the wet bun. Didn't do much heat and still don't plan to. But I'm feeling a little itchy for a change. Would love some length, so I've decided to weave it up (or custom wig it, rather) for the next 6 months. I figure the custom wig with quality hair will allow me to have something to play with and style, while my hair just grows it's little heart out underneath.

The idea came to me while stalking different fotki's. I fell in love with Talia's results. She is such an inspiration; you can check out her amazing progress here. Yeah.. that pic in her avitar? That's her natural hair after adding curlers :yep:

Inspired, I'm thinking my reggie will be something along these lines:

- hair professionally braided, no hair added every other month. Stitched up as if getting a weave.
- cowash nightly rotating between moisturizing, clarifying and protein conditioiners (watered down in a color applicator bottle)
- after cowash apply either sulfur solution or megatek/mn solution to scalp, seal hair with castor oil and whole head baggy til morning
- in morning spritz scalp with black tea, nettle tea and aloe vera juice mix (solution is spiked with MSM and hoping will aide in growth and decrease shedding)
- apply custom wig and look too cute; repeat!

I'll also be taking supplements; Biotin, Chlorella and Kelp

Treatments
- weekly to biweekly, I'll mix GVP matrix biolage conditioning balm and Elasta QP intense fortifying conditioner in and applicator bottle thinned with water and DC for 24 hours between cowashes
- biweekly I'll shampoo and do a seabreeze treatment to fight build up and keep hair from matting
- bimonthly will do henna with coconut milk to strengthen followed by DC with Silicon Mix conditioner.

My goal is to gain 4 inches of healthy hair between now and March 15. That's 6 months. If this happens I'll be awfully close to, if not at, BSL

I'd also like to lose 50 pounds making me one hot fox by the time I do the Softliss BKT in spring of 2010 :yep:

Anyone else hibernating your hair for the cooler months ahead? What are your goals over the coming months?

My hair is braided up already so there's no starting pic. But I'll post my last length check. I consider this my start here.

Last edited:
I live in Southern CA; so, my reggie isn't changing. I'll still cowash 3x a week, wash 1x a week, dc 1x, and moisturize and seal 2x a day. I will, however, keep my hair in more buns than usual.

I'll will also remain air-drying. It just makes my hair feel a lot better than blow-drying.

msa

I love Talia's hair and progress...she's really an inspiration. If I could afford it, I'd go to her weaveologist.

Well there's no real winter out here in Los Angeles, but my hair will still be in hibernation. I'm planning to weave it up for a while (maybe until graduation in 2011 but we'll see). I want to keep it in until my hair is as long as the weave (14in).

My regimen:
-Braid and sew in the weave myself once a month, leaving a bit out.
-Moisturize with Oyin's Juices & Berries and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine as needed.
-Wash every 2 weeks with my normal wash routine, but I'll just dilute the shampoo and conditioner, and be sure to rinse well. I'm thinking of adding amla to my routine but I don't know about that yet.

Last edited:

sheba1

I love Talia's hair and progress...she's really an inspiration. If I could afford it, I'd go to her weaveologist.

Well there's no real winter out here in Los Angeles, but my hair will still be in hibernation. I'm planning to weave it up for a while (maybe until graduation in 2011 but we'll see). I want to keep it in until my hair is as long as the weave (14in).

You're looking like you're way more than half way there from your siggy :yep:

Heh... I tried doing a sew in and cowashing daily like her and drove myself plum crazy!! I was like, "I need easy scalp access!". So I cut the weave out, left the braids and that's where the custom wig came into play! :giggle:

My regime:
-Moisturize with Oyin's Juices & Berries and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine as needed. -Wash every 2 weeks with my normal wash routine, but I'll just dilute the shampoo and conditioner, and be sure to rinse well. I'm thinking of adding amla to my routine but I don't know about that yet.

Looks great! If you decide to oil your scalp with amla, consider making your own. The original has mineral oil which I know isn't necessarily the devil.. but I don't like the thought of putting it on my scalp. I'll prepoo with the original anytime, though.

Saw a fotki of amla oil maker with gorgeous hair: http://public.fotki.com/kittikat24/ayurvedic-regimen--/dsc09107.html

msa

You're looking like you're way more than half way there from your siggy :yep:

Heh... I tried doing a sew in and cowashing daily like her and drove myself plum crazy!! I was like, "I need easy scalp access!". So I cut the weave out, left the braids and that's where the custom wig came into play! :giggle:

Looks great! If you decide to oil your scalp with amla, consider making your own. The original has mineral oil which I know isn't necessarily the devil.. but I don't like the thought of putting it on my scalp. I'll prepoo with the original anytime, though.

Saw a fotki of amla oil maker with gorgeous hair: http://public.fotki.com/kittikat24/ayurvedic-regimen--/dsc09107.html

Thanks!

Yeah there's no way I could cowash every day with a sew in. That would be matted hair city:nono:. The only way I can do that is if my hair is out, and it's still not a good idea then.

So are you getting a lace wig? I know lots of people have had great retention with those (AtlantaJJ comes to mind).

And thank you for the link. I've been trying to research how to make my own amla oil because the dabur ingredients aren't for me. I already oil my hair with coconut oil before every wash so I figured I could just add the powder to the oil some kind of way. But I've been trying to find a good recipe/instructions...and I still need to find some cheap amla powder.

sheba1

Thanks!

Yeah there's no way I could cowash every day with a sew in. That would be matted hair city:nono:. The only way I can do that is if my hair is out, and it's still not a good idea then.

I hear you. I don't even think I could do it, except I blow dried my hair before hand so my hair was way stretched when I braided it up. Plus I'm going to do the seabreeze treatment every other week to break up any debris. Man, should have added that to my reggie above.

So are you getting a lace wig? I know lots of people have had great retention with those (AtlantaJJ comes to mind).
Girl, I am so excited! I bought some Halley's curls malaysian remy relaxed texture hybrid and I am actually making my wig. I bought an adjustable wig cap at the BSS that is so much more comfortable than any other cap I've ever worn. I bought a silk closure with my hair and I'm going to take it to a local stylist once I've sewn it all together to have them style it.

I'm using a tutorial I saw by this young lady that makes her own wigs out of quality hair on youtube. This is so up my alley, MSA, it's like a craft project I can wear!

http://www.youtube.com/user/omega7373#play/uploads/20/Nk_wekYg3Wg

And thank you for the link. I've been trying to research how to make my own amla oil because the dabur ingredients aren't for me. I already oil my hair with coconut oil before every wash so I figured I could just add the powder to the oil some kind of way. But I've been trying to find a good recipe/instructions...and I still need to find some cheap amla powder.

You're very welcome! Yeah, I figured those ingredients would not be ones that you would love. If you're looking for a way to infuse the oil quicker, you could always measure out the amount of oil you want to use, put the amla powder in a stocking cap knotted at one end, and drop it in a small crock pot on low for four hours.

Your best bet for powders is a local indian grocery. If you can't find that, go for Amazon. You can buy the boxes; I think buy 5 get 1 free and it makes the exorbitant shipping almost worth it.

Maka (Brhingaraj) and Brahmi are also nice little powders to have in your stash. I bet an Amla/Brahmi combo would be great for the scalp :yep:

I was looking everywhere to find a decent price on bulk oil. I haven't ordered yet, but I've found a bulk supplier that has Castor oil for $15 per gallon! http://www.bulknaturaloilsstore.com/castoroil-1-1-1.aspx

A gallon of Almond oil is $25 and a gallon of Jojoba is $45. Crazy cheap, but they're bulk suppliers. That's the smallest they sell, is a gallon.

msa

Girl, I am so excited! I bought some Halley's curls malaysian remy relaxed texture hybrid and I am actually making my wig. I bought an adjustable wig cap at the BSS that is so much more comfortable than any other cap I've ever worn. I bought a silk closure with my hair and I'm going to take it to a local stylist once I've sewn it all together to have them style it.

I'm using a tutorial I saw by this young lady that makes her own wigs out of quality hair on youtube. This is so up my alley, MSA, it's like a craft project I can wear!

http://www.youtube.com/user/omega7373#play/uploads/20/Nk_wekYg3Wg

You're making a wig?!? Girl I'm scared of you. Make sure you post pics when you finish.

DMJ's Mom

I'm in VA. Usually I still put my hair in a bun just cowash at night but I think this winter I might just hair it cornrowed weekly and let it rest on weekends.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I will be getting a sew in in October. wash once a week. Moisturize daily I will keep it in for 2 months remove for a couple of weeks then back in.. I will keep this up until the Spring

robot.

I won't be cowashing as often. That depends on my workout schedule, but definitely not daily. I'll also be using a heavy moisturizer and sealing with a heavier oil, or oil period. I usually don't seal during the warmer months.

ONAMSHN

More than likely....I will be hiding my hair November & December! I need to come up w/ a regimen :)! Any suggestions will be gladly accepted!

bablou00

Im in the twist for growth challenge so I will be in twist for sure doing the winter. My co-washing schedule might slow down due to the coldness...but since I work out Im sure I will be spraying my hair with water after every work out. Good luck on hiding our hair and losing weight. 15lbs is my goal and I want it off before the holidays...haha

beans4reezy

No change. I am in kinky twists now through October. From Nov. to December - wigs. I will keep hiding my hair until next touch up.

BostonMaria

I'm in Boston so after October its no more wash and go's for me. I will rollerset my hair once a week and do deep treatments on the weekends. I will do mostly protectve styles like buns, I'll butter up my ends. My goal is to be WSL by Christmas. My hair does better when I don't mess with it too much in the cold weather. I enjoyed my daily co-washing in the summer. I'm getting a steamer soon and I hope it helps with the winter dryness.

Last edited:

sheba1

BostonMaria, your hair in your avitar almost caused me to pass out it's so gorgeous. Gurl, you better grow on with your bad selfffff!

loulou82

I'm hoping to start wearing sew in's by December and wear it for a year. I'm going to make my first Indian hair investment so I can reuse the hair.

Bun Mistress

wanna get Sengelanese twist at the end of October for at least a month. Then I guess I will have to roller set, I just bought a Baybliss dryer tonight I hope that will help the drying time. I really messed up last winter with too much mani, I learned my lesson.

Last edited:

ceebee3

I'll be going with 2 braids or a bun for the winter. I will not be wearing my hair out from November to April.

I may get a short weave sew in, I don't know yet.

MizzBrown

I am.

I said I'd never get braids again but I just don't feel like dealing with this stretch.

Braiding it up for fall and winter. More educated about braids so I know what NOT to do and hopefully I can get a longer stretch and surpass 23 weeks. I'm determined to make it to at least 6 months.

mscocoface

I am thinking about it. Not sure what I am going to do. The only thing I do know is that I will be using JBCO more in the winter months.

kurlybella

2-3 inches chopped off. my ends need trimming and i just want to cut above the knots and splits and just not have to worry about it. dc once a week but starting by oct, lace wigging it until next summer - june 2010.

sheba1

2-3 inches chopped off. my ends need trimming and i just want to cut above the knots and splits and just not have to worry about it. dc once a week but starting by oct, lace wigging it until next summer - june 2010.

Wow your hair is really gorgeous. I know exactly how you feel. I had to chop a couple inches 4 months ago to cut out the knots. I've since gained it back and then some, so I know yours will be well beyond the length it is now by the time you reveal your hair again in June. Good luck.

MummysGirl

Not changing much, I currently do braids (no extensions) for 2 weeks and then braidouts/twistouts for 2 weeks. I might do the braids for 3-4 weeks once in a while and leave my hair out for 1-2 weeks for braidouts/twistouts - I'll see as the weather changes.

scarcity21

My regimen:
-Moisturize with Oyin's Juices & Berries and Jane Carter Nourish & Shine as needed.
-Wash every 2 weeks with my normal wash routine, but I'll just dilute the shampoo and conditioner, and be sure to rinse well. I'm thinking of adding amla to my routine but I don't know about that yet.

Im sorry but who's this? i wanna see pics.