Anyone do their own sew in?

yodie

Net weave is the best way! I do my own weaves and I don't have to wory about braid placement, size or people seeing tracks. It's faster and alot easier.

I'm still contemplating whether or not I can work with clip ins. So, a net weave is top level for me right now. How do you attach the net?

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Do you glue as well?

Braiding down seems difficult when sewing on the track. I may experiment with this as well.

I glue only at the top to help the hair that is left out blend in with the weave. When I sew the weave in I just wrap the needle around my braid then around my weft. It's really easy.

yodie

I glue only at the top to help the hair that is left out blend in with the weave. When I sew the weave in I just wrap the needle around my braid then around my weft. It's really easy.

Do you bother with clip in extensions at all? I wanna try them, but I keep thinking they'll slip out.

Do you braid down to eliminate having to braid from each end and combine in the middle? About how many braids do you have going down the back of your hair?

When you do the sew in, how many tracks do you add? I'm gonna re-do my tracks in another 2-3 weeks.

scarcity21

do u lose any hair with the glue? what kinda glue do u use?Im scared the glue might pull my hair out or make it fall out. Do u have pics of the front of ur sew in?

glamazon386

do u lose any hair with the glue? what kinda glue do u use?Im scared the glue might pull my hair out or make it fall out. Do u have pics of the front of ur sew in?

Girl don't do it. :nono: Don't mess with that glue. Everytime I have used it even when my stylist applied and removed it properly I saw some of my hair come out with it. And it seems like my hair sticks to the glue more now that's its natural bc it gets caught in the curls. A skilled braider/weaver should know how to sew and close a weave without needing glue. If you're going to do it yourself just use some curly hair and sew it in a circle.

glamazon386

I'm still contemplating whether or not I can work with clip ins. So, a net weave is top level for me right now. How do you attach the net?

You can sew a cornrow around the perimeter and attach the net to that. I don't really like the net so I rarely ever use one.

Do you glue as well?

Braiding down seems difficult when sewing on the track. I may experiment with this as well.

I would stay away from the glue. It just causes problems. Plus if you want to wash frequently the glued tracks are going to come up. The last weave my stylist did he glued some tracks in my bangs to hold my flat ironed bangs down and I ended up taking them out bc they were getting on my nerves.

Do you bother with clip in extensions at all? I wanna try them, but I keep thinking they'll slip out.

Do you braid down to eliminate having to braid from each end and combine in the middle? About how many braids do you have going down the back of your hair?

When you do the sew in, how many tracks do you add? I'm gonna re-do my tracks in another 2-3 weeks.

As long as you hook the clipins into your hair good they shouldn't come out. I always get a flatter weave braiding straight back plus it's easier for me. They always seem to get bulky and unravel in the middle when I do side to side.

I've never counted tracks but I usually use two bundles of hair. There may be a little piece of hair left over afterward but I try to use it all.

yodie

You ladies are awesome! You've encouraged me soo much. Why am I scared to take out the tracks that I have now and try my own??? Guess I don't want to be stuck with a clip in that won't clip!

Just went to sally's. Brought their only pack of perm yaky hair. I'm so excited. Hair was very inexpensive. Seems to match well. I prefer to practice on inexpensive hair from Sally's. Now I'm so glad that I didn't buy the pre-made tracks off line. Gonna make my own tonight and stare at them for awhile. Lol!!!

Thanks for the tip on sewing the net weave. I'll work with clip ins and braiding my hair back.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston

I have not even thought about clips. They may work well though... I braid straight back because its easier for me. I have about 10 braids and 9 wefts sewn and 1 glued at the top.

I have never lost hair with glue. I only do one with the glue and if you take it out improperly it will take your hair out!! When I take it out I load my hair down with the oil based remover and it comes right off. I never force it off. Lemme try to take a pic with my computer camera...

I added another one in my album in my profile. It's been in a ponytail all day so there is no curl to it.

Girl don't do it. :nono: Don't mess with that glue. Everytime I have used it even when my stylist applied and removed it properly I saw some of my hair come out with it. And it seems like my hair sticks to the glue more now that's its natural bc it gets caught in the curls. A skilled braider/weaver should know how to sew and close a weave without needing glue. If you're going to do it yourself just use some curly hair and sew it in a circle.

If your hair came out that means it was taken out improperly. No stylist will EVER care about my hair as much as I care about it. I wouldn't even trust them with such a thing.

I believe the title of this thread is "Anyone do their OWN sew in?", so who is this skilled braider/weaver you are speaking of?? I don't see anyone who has proclaimed themselves to be "skilled" in here...

ETA: Here is the YouTube that showed me that it's all in how you handle the glue that makes it bad for your hair. It's just like heat, it's can be VERY damaging to someone who doesn't know what they are doing but fine for someone who takes the time to understand how to use it. And like the YTer, I don't use glue very often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VhLNTn__3s&feature=related

Last edited:

glamazon386

I have not even thought about clips. They may work well though... I braid straight back because its easier for me. I have about 10 braids and 9 wefts sewn and 1 glued at the top.

I have never lost hair with glue. I only do one with the glue and if you take it out improperly it will take your hair out!! When I take it out I load my hair down with the oil based remover and it comes right off. I never force it off. Lemme try to take a pic with my computer camera...

I added another one in my album in my profile. It's been in a ponytail all day so there is no curl to it.

If your hair came out that means it was taken out improperly. No stylist will EVER care about my hair as much as I care about it. I wouldn't even trust them with such a thing.

I believe the title of this thread is "Anyone do their OWN sew in?", so who is this skilled braider/weaver you are speaking of?? I don't see anyone who has proclaimed themselves to be "skilled" in here...

ETA: Here is the YouTube that showed me that it's all in how you handle the glue that makes it bad for your hair. It's just like heat, it's can be VERY damaging to someone who doesn't know what they are doing but fine for someone who takes the time to understand how to use it. And like the YTer, I don't use glue very often.

No need to be snarky hun. :rolleyes: I can read the thread title. I've been wearing weaves installed by stylists and doing my own weaves for years and the sew in always turned out better health wise for my hair. I've had a few tracks glued in here and there for a special occasion since being natural and I will never do it again. I had tracks glued in when I was a teen and relaxed with minimal problems but it seems to be different with natural hair. Even when the glue remover was used there was still pieces of my hair stuck to the glue on the track and leftover glue in my hair. Even with the glue remover it's still hard to get the little gobs of glue out of all the kinks. And you're not supposed to comb natural hair dry so it's even harder to get it out when wet.

People here freak out if there's too many hairs in the comb on wash day so I know they'd freak out for hair being attached stuck to glue on a track. IDK why but it seems like it sticks to textured hair more than straight hair. Natural hair has a tendency to tangle and snag more. It was like the kinks got caught in the glue.

I know scarcity is natural and has posted about some of her hair issues and we've spoken in PM about things before so I wouldn't want her to have a set back over some hair glue. For most people the consensus is that the glue is bad and takes their hair out. A lot of that is from improper use but why open yourself up to the possibility to cause a set back when it can clearly be avoided? I don't see how glueing anything to onto your hair and then removing it could ever be healthy. Just like using a curling iron everyday or any of the other practices that are frowned upon as unhealthy. I wouldn't want to steer someone in the wrong direction when they genuinely asked for advice on a board devoted to healthy hair care.

Just because it's working for you doesn't mean it's going to work for everybody else. There is nothing wrong with people offering more than one opinion. That is what a message board is about - people posting different opinions and just like you were entitled to post yours I'm entitled to post mine. And if you want to be technical this thread is talking about SEW INS so why are you coming in here talking about glue anyway? Even if it is only a few tracks on the top why? It's not necessary. I've done plenty of sew ins relaxed and natural that laid flat and looked find that did not require glue on the last few tracks. It's not necessary, IMO. And I wouldn't want that little section of hair left out to fall behind progress wise bc I chose to do something different right there. That's also part of the reason I usually cover all my hair when I get a weave. It's just easier. You don't have to worry about blending and all your hair is being protected.

Besides with natural hair you're going to have to braid the hair anyway to get the bulk of it to lay down so why not just go ahead and braid it all down and sew it? Why go through all that just to glue it? Plus you can still wash and deep condition with a sew in and it's less manipulation over the long haul because the sew in lasts longer when compared to glueing and removing multiple times. A sew in is always better when installed properly and lasts longer than glue. Every stylist I've ever been to has said that and recommended the sew in over glue unless you needed just a few tracks put in real quick and will be removing them real quick. I understand if it's for something quick but if your overall goal is to wear a protective style to try to grow your hair out why take the chance? The point of a protective style - especially a weave - is to wear it for an extended period of time to protect your hair. Why do something damaging in conjunction with the protective style? Isn't that defeating the purpose? I would just stick with what I knew.

Last edited:

msa

The bold is not necessarily true for everyone. I think we need to remember that the purpose of glue is to stick to things. The hair glue does stick to the hair and regardless of removal techniques, people still lose hair to the glue. I know I have, even when I soaked it in an oil based remover for a few days just to avoid losing hair.

IMO, the point of a sew in is to protect the hair. Using glue isn't protective to me.

Yodie, how did your clip ins turn out?

glamazon386

The bold is not necessarily true for everyone. I think we need to remember that the purpose of glue is to stick to things. The hair glue does stick to the hair and regardless of removal techniques, people still lose hair to the glue. I know I have, even when I soaked it in an oil based remover for a few days just to avoid losing hair.

IMO, the point of a sew in is to protect the hair. Using glue isn't protective to me.

Thank you! And with natural hair it's even worse. My hair will snag on all kinds of stuff I'm supposed to believe glue isn't supposed to catch it? Sticky glue? Not even one piece of hair? You have people on this board who don't even want to see ONE piece of hair in the comb on wash day (nevermind the fact that hair naturally sheds) or posting showing pictures of the glob of hair that came out on wash day wondering if they've lost too much hair. And now people are telling them to put glue in their hair and it won't take any of their hair out? Nah.... :nono: People would freak out even more if something they knowingly did took some of their hair out even if it is only a few strands.

Last edited:

cocomochaa

you do a perimeter braid following the curves of your head and your parting (not sure if that makes sense) then you can either use a net or a net cap. Sew either one to the perimeter braid and cut of the excess (make sure it's tight). For the hair in the middle, just do about 4 jumbo cornrows and tuck in ends.

msa

you do a perimeter braid following the curves of your head and your parting (not sure if that makes sense) then you can either use a net or a net cap. Sew either one to the perimeter braid and cut of the excess (make sure it's tight). For the hair in the middle, just do about 4 jumbo cornrows and tuck in ends.

Ooooo I need to try this.

Here's my only issue. How do you wash and condition your hair underneath the net. Isn't it a lot of extra work to try to get beneath it?

simone103

The last weave that I installed I used a net to cover the tracks. I braided my hair vertically and left the hair out on top in the shape of a horseshoe. Using the net made it easier for me to remove the weave when it was time for it to come out, because the weave was attached to the net and not directly to my hair.

I think using clip in extensions is a great way to add length to your hair without the committment of a partially sewn-in weave. It also gives just as or almost a flatter appearance as glued-in extensions, but without the potential damaging effect that glued in extensions may cause.

yodie

I did one track (doubled) and sew the clips on. Came out GREAT! I clipped it to the exposed part of my hair and it doesn't seem like it would pop off at all. I brought inexpensive hair from Sally's. I know everyone says it's cheap, but it matched perfectly!! Yay!!! I'll be able to DC my hair and treat it on a weekly basis.

Oh, okay. And then I would sew the tracks onto the net. Got it! My friend has one like this. I think I'm gonna master the clip ins and doing the actual sew in (I'll try braids going down) and then possibly the net.

Thanks ladies!!!

msa

I did one track (doubled) and sew the clips on. Came out GREAT! I clipped it to the exposed part of my hair and it doesn't seem like it would pop off at all. I brought inexpensive hair from Sally's. I know everyone says it's cheap, but it matched perfectly!! Yay!!! I'll be able to DC my hair and treat it on a weekly basis.

Oh good! See that's why I don't want a net weave, I can get to my hair so much easier with a regular sew in.

glamazon386

Ooooo I need to try this.

Here's my only issue. How do you wash and condition your hair underneath the net. Isn't it a lot of extra work to try to get beneath it?

That's why I don't like the net. It's hard to get in there just to scratch let alone wash and deep condition. It can be done it's just harder. I prefer to not have the net but I understand why some people like it (you can put the tracks anywhere, you can't see or really feel the braids, it comes off in one piece when you take it out, etc.).

The last time I had a net weave installed I went to the shop every 2 weeks for a wash and set. He did a deep treatment for me and poured some Sea Breeze down into my scalp to control the itching when I was leaned back into the wash bowl.

scarcity21

Thanks glam. Yea, Im too scared to try the glue bcos my mother did a few yrs back and it tok her hair out...not saying my hair will react the same but u never know, so im not risking it. Do u have any good youtube links that show closure...I searched on youtube but i might need some practice

scarcity21

You can sew a cornrow around the perimeter and attach the net to that. I don't really like the net so I rarely ever use one.

I would stay away from the glue. It just causes problems. Plus if you want to wash frequently the glued tracks are going to come up. The last weave my stylist did he glued some tracks in my bangs to hold my flat ironed bangs down and I ended up taking them out bc they were getting on my nerves.

As long as you hook the clipins into your hair good they shouldn't come out. I always get a flatter weave braiding straight back plus it's easier for me. They always seem to get bulky and unravel in the middle when I do side to side.

I've never counted tracks but I usually use two bundles of hair. There may be a little piece of hair left over afterward but I try to use it all.

What is it about the net that u dont like? not being able to get to ur scalp while washing? just curious

scarcity21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VhLNTn__3s&feature=related

You can hardly detect the front track looking @ ur pic....cute!

scarcity21

Thank you! And with natural hair it's even worse. My hair will snag on all kinds of stuff I'm supposed to believe glue isn't supposed to catch it? Sticky glue? Not even one piece of hair? You have people on this board who don't even want to see ONE piece of hair in the comb on wash day (nevermind the fact that hair naturally sheds) or posting showing pictures of the glob of hair that came out on wash day wondering if they've lost too much hair. And now people are telling them to put glue in their hair and it won't take any of their hair out? Nah.... :nono: People would freak out even more if something they knowingly did took some of their hair out even if it is only a few strands.

Never thought about natural vs relaxed hair and how they may react differently to glueing.

glamazon386

Thanks glam. Yea, Im too scared to try the glue bcos my mother did a few yrs back and it tok her hair out...not saying my hair will react the same but u never know, so im not risking it. Do u have any good youtube links that show closure...I searched on youtube but i might need some practice

I don't know of one off the top of my head. I learned from having it done in the shop that way. I'll see if I can find you one. But pretty much what I do is I sew the tracks horizontally from side to side up until about the ears. Then I start going in a circle from the left ear around the front of the forehead and towards the right ear. I keep going in that circular pattern until I get to the top of my head in the center. Just keep going until you can't go anymore and it will close itself up. With curls they're fluffy so you won't be able to see it.

glamazon386

What is it about the net that u dont like? not being able to get to ur scalp while washing? just curious

Yeah it's just harder to get in there to wash and condition. You can barely get in there to scratch. My stylist usually uses a net but the last 2 times he did a net weave for me I went to the shop for bi weekly washing and conditioning. So he did it all for me and I didn't have to worry about it. I think I did wash the last one on my own and I was able to wash it myself but it just wasn't the same as getting in there and giving the scalp a good scrub.

scarcity21

I don't know of one off the top of my head. I learned from having it done in the shop that way. I'll see if I can find you one. But pretty much what I do is I sew the tracks horizontally from side to side up until about the ears. Then I start going in a circle from the left ear around the front of the forehead and towards the right ear. I keep going in that circular pattern until I get to the top of my head in the center. Just keep going until you can't go anymore and it will close itself up. With curls they're fluffy so you won't be able to see it.

Ok oh neat...i can visualize this...so do u cornrow all hair straight back like a lot of people? I need lotsa practice:yep:

Last edited:

yodie

You ladies don't play! Yall are some serious professionals and here I am getting excited over one clip on track I made. Lol!!

yodie

Okay ladies... I decided to skip the wait and do my own hair. I was waiting until I traveled home to see mom, but I'm gonna try on my own. It'll turn out okay, right? I'm gonna finish sewing my clip ins onto the tracks and henna/indigo within the next few days. I can't wait to be able to DC/steam my hair on a regular basis. I'll be able to feel my scalp!! YES!!!

Last edited:

yodie

I have been trying clip ins and then trying to sew in my tracks. i don't know what in the world I'm doing. i'm stuck!!