Anyone do their own sew in?

yodie

I'm currently wearing a sew in. My stylist (love her) does it, but I want to learn how to do my own. I hate not having access to all of my hair for weeks on end. I also wanna try henna every two weeks to thicken my strands. Doing my own sew in allows me to better care for my hair.

So, any tips?

I've watched tutorials and it doesn't seem that hard. Moms is gonna let me put some tracks in her hair. Gotta love mom!!

msa

I do!

I love it. I don't have to pay anybody to do it and I can take them out every week if I feel like it. It's great!

I used the tips posted on bhm and looked at a few tutorials. I'm still not good at the front so I need to figure out a better way to do that. But hey, a homemade weave is better than a super expensive weave any day. I'm sure I'll get better the more that I practice.

ryanshope

Heck yes---I am thinking about doing one now for the rest of the summer. I have my mom cornrow my hair and I attach the wear myself. Back in the day; I used to go to the salon and have it professionally cut for 20-30 bux and save myself 60-70 dollars. Now, the hair is pre-cut and styled for you....good luck with your own weave installation.

yodie

I do!

I love it. I don't have to pay anybody to do it and I can take them out every week if I feel like it. It's great!

I used the tips posted on bhm and looked at a few tutorials. I'm still not good at the front so I need to figure out a better way to do that. But hey, a homemade weave is better than a super expensive weave any day. I'm sure I'll get better the more that I practice.

Heck yes---I am thinking about doing one now for the rest of the summer. I have my mom cornrow my hair and I attach the wear myself. Back in the day; I used to go to the salon and have it professionally cut for 20-30 bux and save myself 60-70 dollars. Now, the hair is pre-cut and styled for you....good luck with your own weave installation.

Thanks ladies. I am so gonna master this. Doesn't seem that hard at all. Do you ladies leave hair out in between or do you braid up your own hair and sew the weft?

The women on this forum DO IT ALL!! I am so impresed!

msa, I'll search bhm to find some tips and tutorials. Thanks.

msa

Thanks ladies. I am so gonna master this. Doesn't seem that hard at all. Do you ladies leave hair out in between or do you braid up your own hair and sew the weft?

Yeah bhm is really helpful, the weave 101 thread in particular. I braid up all my hair and leave a little bit out in the front. The part I have the hardest time is making the front track look right so that I don't have to wear a headband. I usually do cornrows straight back...but I may have to figure out another braiding pattern. We'll see.

Also, I sew around the weft instead of through the weft. Sewing through the weft makes the hair shed more. And, it's easier as well.

yodie

Yeah bhm is really helpful, the weave 101 thread in particular. I braid up all my hair and leave a little bit out in the front. The part I have the hardest time is making the front track look right so that I don't have to wear a headband. I usually do cornrows straight back...but I may have to figure out another braiding pattern. We'll see.

Also, I sew around the weft instead of through the weft. Sewing through the weft makes the hair shed more. And, it's easier as well.

Would it be easier to do a braid across the hair. Start from each end and meet in the middle.

How do you sew around the weft?

Last edited:

msa

Would it be easier to do a braid across the hair. Start from each end and meet in the middle.

How do you sew around the weft?

It seems like it would be easier to do it that way, but the only way I'm good at making it flat is by doing the braids straight back. Now if I could braid from back to front (going up) then I would just do a beehive braid as the base. But, that is way outside my skill level. Of course, I could always get someone to braid it for me.

Instead of putting the needle through the actual weft, I just go around it. I don't know how to explain. Of course I first go through the weft when I start so that I can anchor the thread with a knot. But then I just go through my hair and around the weft. Ugh, I'm just confusing you more lol.

yodie

It seems like it would be easier to do it that way, but the only way I'm good at making it flat is by doing the braids straight back. Now if I could braid from back to front (going up) then I would just do a beehive braid as the base. But, that is way outside my skill level. Of course, I could always get someone to braid it for me.

Instead of putting the needle through the actual weft, I just go around it. I don't know how to explain. Of course I first go through the weft when I start so that I can anchor the thread with a knot. But then I just go through my hair and around the weft. Ugh, I'm just confusing you more lol.

Actually I understand what you're talking about now. In my mind I thought of myself going around the weft too. Didn't know I was supposed to go through the weft. Got it!!

What's funny is that my mom used to do hair. You'd think she would've taught me some tricks along the way. NOT!! Gotta love moms!!

Last edited:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Like msa, I love the fact that I can take down my sew-in's like every two weeks. I learned how to do my own sew-in's because my best friend tried to bluff me one day...It is veryyyyy easy.

I usually do straight backs and leave my sides and a U-part at the top. I sew my braids down as flat as I can. I always double my tracks in order to have fullness. I then hold the track down onto the very bottom of my braids and sew AROUND the weft rather than through.

I then cut accordingly. I glue my tracks when I get to my real hair that's left out. I part, then glue, then part and glue until its blended well. I then go to my local salon for them to cut in which way I want. Trust me yodie, its ohhh so simple.

yodie

I'm really encouraged! I know I'll be able to do this. Practice makes perfect.

My friend glues her tracks in. She swears by Lekair glue removal. I think I need to stick to sewing right now.

It'll be great to be able to manage my own sew in. Yay!!!

trendsetta25

Sewn in lasts longer than glued tracks and its much healthier. Believe me practice makes perfect. I've been doing my own weaves since I was 12. Study videos on youtube. You'll get the hang of it and save lots of $$$!

yodie

Sewn in lasts longer than glued tracks and its much healthier. Believe me practice makes perfect. I've been doing my own weaves since I was 12. Study videos on youtube. You'll get the hang of it and save lots of $$$!

Wow, since you were 12?
Yall, I didn't even know how to put a ponytail holder in at 12. Just never knew how to do my hair, but I betcha I learn now.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips ladies.

glamazon386

I do my own on occasion. I usually braid and cover all my own hair and then sew in the weave.

glamazon386

how do u close when u do a full head weave?

Sew it in a circle. It'll close itself up on the top. I haven't quite figured out the straight hair yet. I always have to put glue on top. The hair in my avatar with the bangs is a full head sew in that I did a while back.

Chameleonchick

Oh yes I do my own weaves. Saves mega money. Every woman has their own reason for doing her own hair and mine was the last "professional" weave I had gotten was ugly. She made it look so bulky on my little head. I do the net weaves the most. I have pics in my fotki of my first one.

i do... i spend the money i wouldve given the hairdresser on BETTER HAIR...
and i know my own head better than them so hiding tracks etc. i think is easier for me and it helps to know how i like to style it too
i have mine in my fotki if u wanna look
i do the cornrows based on how i'm gonna part/ wear the hair

yodie

Oh yes I do my own weaves. Saves mega money. Every woman has their own reason for doing her own hair and mine was the last "professional" weave I had gotten was ugly. She made it look so bulky on my little head. I do the net weaves the most. I have pics in my fotki of my first one.

u know how to do a net weave? yall are amazing me. checkin' out your fotki.

yodie

i do... i spend the money i wouldve given the hairdresser on BETTER HAIR...
and i know my own head better than them so hiding tracks etc. i think is easier for me and it helps to know how i like to style it too
i have mine in my fotki if u wanna look
i do the cornrows based on how i'm gonna part/ wear the hair

okay ladies, i wanna be just like the rest of you. i plan on wearing sew in's until my hair grows out. i love my stylist, but i just wanna do my own hair. checkin' out your fotki too.

scarcity21

Nice...u did a good job:)

Ediese

I've done it before, but I'm not great at it. It's hard to braid my hair tight enough to where it lasts for 3 months.

Last edited:

BeautifulFlower

YEEESSSS! ME!

I change my hair style all the time. I get bored easy. I have had three different hair styles in the past six weeks!

lilsparkle825

I learned how to cornrow just so that I can do this sometime soon! I am practicing on my sister before I tackle my own head. It really helped me learn the right size for cornrows, how to put on the wefts, etc. I am NOWHERE as good as these ladies though!

Nayna

Unbothered
When I wear weave I usually do them myself. I've done a full head straight one once and I feel like I got lucky when I closed it off so I usually just stay away from those. As you do it more and more it will get way easier. Good Luck!

YEEESSSS! ME!

I change my hair style all the time. I get bored easy. I have had three different hair styles in the past six weeks!

yep i witnessed it in highschool...
i did my first one just like how i remembered you did it lol
remember your wave iron waves in the tracks! everyone thought u were indian... it was AMAZING :grin:

msa

I've done it before, but I'm not great at it. It's hard to braid my hair tight enough to wear it lasts for 3 months.

That's my only problem. If I want to keep my weave for 3 months, which I prefer, I have to get someone else to do it. When I do my own it starts getting loose after a couple weeks.

CheLala13

I would really like to learn because...I just don't know if I'm willing to shell out the money to get it installed. I don't even know how to cornrow though, so I'm far far from it.

cocomochaa

Net weave is the best way! I do my own weaves and I don't have to wory about braid placement, size or people seeing tracks. It's faster and alot easier.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I usually do straight backs and leave my sides and a U-part at the top. I always double my tracks in order to have fullness. I then hold the track down onto the very bottom of my braids and sew AROUND the weft rather than through.

I then cut accordingly. I glue my tracks when I get to my real hair that's left out. I part, then glue, then part and glue until its blended well. I then go to my local salon for them to cut in which way I want. Trust me yodie, its ohhh so simple.

This is what I do too and it is very easy! I keep them in for 1 month.