Anyone do their own sew in?

msa

I have been trying clip ins and then trying to sew in my tracks. i don't know what in the world I'm doing. i'm stuck!!

Wait are you doing clip ins or a sew in?

I can't explain what I do really well. Youtube it! There are good tutorials on there.

I hope you can figure it out soon.

yodie

I originially tried clip ins but a sew in feels more secure.

Are there standard measurements for each track? i know some are sold in 8", 6", 10".
About to run to youtube.
Do you leave a row of your hair out in between each track?

beauti

I JUST removed my self install today after keeping it in for a month. I'm a lefty soo I thought it would be impossible. But after days of looking through bhm's weave section, along with youtube how to cornrow, I got it! It took me five hours to self install and it came out great. Below is a pic of my self install. I suggest you do some research and watch the demos. Trust, once you get into it, it'll be easier.

Attachments

• hair1.jpg
    hair1.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 26
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 26

yodie

I really feel inept now. Msa suggested bhm's tutorial. Went there, but I didn't find any. Do I have to be a member?

Congrats, beauti, you did a great job!!! I'm encouraged still!! gotta learn how to do this.
Okay, I gotta get this. Tried for 6 hours and still nothing.

Last edited:

yodie

Beauti and msa, I'm doing some research on bhm. Dang, didn't even realize I was a member there. Say a prayer for me that I learn this!!

msa

Beauti and msa, I'm doing some research on bhm. Dang, didn't even realize I was a member there. Say a prayer for me that I learn this!!

I'm sure you'll do great! I'm still not good at doing the front so my next install I'll really focus on that.

Beauti your install looked great. I like that hair on you.

yodie

Question for you professionals (lol!)

My hair is short and I plan on braiding my hair going down (vertical). Should I add hair to my braids?Right now my braid stops right at the top of my neck. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

How do I attach the weft? Do I stick the needle through the weft and then over or under my braid? After that, I guess I keep looping, right?

I don't see any videos about the sewing technique.

Wish me luck!!

Last edited:

monikr

I've been doing my own installs for a few months now. It definitely gets easier each time I do it. I braid my cornrows with cheapie synthetic hair to protect my own when I do the actual sew in. It's not mandatory, but my hair can be super thin and it gives me a firmer base to sew on to.

Check out this youtuber's videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/kiannaluv21

She gives a great visual on the actual install process.

beans4reezy

I've been doing my own installs for a few months now. It definitely gets easier each time I do it. I braid my cornrows with cheapie synthetic hair to protect my own when I do the actual sew in. It's not mandatory, but my hair can be super thin and it gives me a firmer base to sew on to.

Thank you for this link! I am getting really bored with these kinky twists and would like to try a self install soon.

yodie

Thank you. I'm gonna try again today to sew four tracks into the back of my hair. Say prayers please. I need to learn this. Everyone keeps saying it's so simple.

msa

Thank you. I'm gonna try again today to sew four tracks into the back of my hair. Say prayers please. I need to learn this. Everyone keeps saying it's so simple.

Once you figure it out you'll be saying the same thing. The actual sewing is not difficult. For me the difficult part is figuring out my part in the front.

You can definitely do this!

yodie

Once you figure it out you'll be saying the same thing. The actual sewing is not difficult. For me the difficult part is figuring out my part in the front.

You can definitely do this!
Funny thing is, is that I'm only trying to sew four to five tracks in the back. I'm leaving my hair out in front. You all probably would've been done by now and here I am still trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Okay, I have two braids going down the back. YAY!! I'm happy about that!! My brother called and stalled my progress. Going to finish the braids.

I'm keeping you guys tuned in throughout my entire progress. Helps to have company. If I get stuck then maybe somebody can drive by and help me out. Lol!!

Last edited:

yodie

I'm all braided up and ready to sew the braids (not weft) so they don't unravel. The thread keeps slipping right through my braids. What do I anchor this to? Can anybody help?

msa

I'm all braided up and ready to sew the braids (not weft) so they don't unravel. The thread keeps slipping right through my braids. What do I anchor this to? Can anybody help?

You know, I've never actually sewn my braids up. I just let them hang in the back and the hair covers it. LOL, it really is a homemade weave and I'm not ashamed. I don't really know how to sew the braids up.

yodie

You know, I've never actually sewn my braids up. I just let them hang in the back and the hair covers it. LOL, it really is a homemade weave and I'm not ashamed. I don't really know how to sew the braids up.

Thanks for that! I'm studying the pictures and I can't see how the braids are anchored. I'll just hold them and catch them in while I sew the wefts on.

Thanks a million. BHM really helped.

monikr

I usually sew around them (in the gaps between the braids) to hold them together, then through them. My hairstylist used to do it a different way, but I could never figure it out.

yodie

Praise the Lord. Yep, I involve God in everything. I got the first track in and I'm soooo happy. Thank you, thank you, thank you ladies. msa and another lady mentioned you tube. Thank you to the other lady for sending me the other link. This other link encouraged me to actually try it this way. Oh, here's the link that I'm following. God really touched my hands last night. It's getting done and I've never done this before.

Don't want to speak too soon, but I see why you all are saying this is easy. I'm proud of myself for one track.

Okay, let me tackle the rest before I get too happy.

http://public.fotki.com/mfdavis/sew-in-tutorial/secondtrack.html

Jewell

Kudos to all you ladies who can do your own sew-ins! I love the idea of sew-ins since I don't manipulate my hair much anyway, but I've only had one once. And, it looked good, but when it came out, so did a chunk of the length of my hair in the back. Now I don't know if it was the removal process-the girl cut a portion of my hair, but it looked like breakage. So, from now on I use clip-on extensions. That way I can monitor my hair underneath and promptly remove them in seconds if something doesn't seem right.

I can't cornrow my own hair, so if I ever did a sew-in I would have to get it cornrowed then I'm sure I can muster enough skill to sew in the tracks.

Congrats to Yodie for doing her own as a novice! Looking good, girl!

Last edited:

yodie

Thanks Jewell.

I labored all day yesterday with clip ins. They just didn't seem secure enough for me. I love that clip ins are temporary.

yodie

I'm done!! What a difference a day makes. I don't have any pics to show, but I am extremely proud of myself. I need to work on somethings. I think one of my tracks shows slightly if my hair isn't covering it. Oh well!! I can wear this for a week and try again. It won't cost me lots of cash either.

Now I can wash and condition my hair as often as I like, without waiting 12 weeks for an all over DC. I can monitor my hair and leave it alone at the same time. I can henna and indigo.

Can yall tell that I feel free?
Oh, thanks BHM, you really helped me out!!

glamazon386

I usually take the ends and braid it into one larger braid and then sew that part down. I've also had them flipped up and sewn/tacked down before the wefts were sewn on too.

yodie

I usually take the ends and braid it into one larger braid and then sew that part down. I've also had them flipped up and sewn/tacked down before the wefts were sewn on too.

Thanks. I managed to get them in there somewhere.

Another sew in question:
Does anyone just braid the hair (all of it) vertically and then sew regular tracks horizontally? If so, how does that flow?

Any secrets for your knots/stitches that makes take down easier?

msa

Thanks. I managed to get them in there somewhere.

Another sew in question:
Does anyone just braid the hair (all of it) vertically and then sew regular tracks horizontally? If so, how does that flow?

Any secrets for your knots/stitches that makes take down easier?

Yay for finishing!!

I always braid vertically and sew horizontally. Wait, did you sew yours vertically? Or did you do a circle?

I've never had a problem with takedown just sewing regularly.