Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

AJellyCake

Anyone think you can do this method successfully with mini twists in?

I think it would be hard to do with a clay you mix yourself because I don't know that you can get it out as easily. It would have to be perfectly blended.

However, the Terressential mud washes can be used for the clay step, and on their website they say it can be used for locs. I think that product is significantly more expensive though than making your own mix. There might be other clays than bentonite that could be used.

snoop

Honestly, I don't think so. Unless you skip the clay step; but I think that step is crutial

I'm just lurking...I've not actually tried this method, yet, but I wanted to add that if you do mix your clay properly you can wash with twists in. I do weekly. (I mix my clay with a stick mixer.)

shelli4018

I had a long conversation about MHM while out shopping today. First one natural lady stopped to inquire about my regimen. Another overheard our conversation and joined in. It was fun! Both walked away with the url for MHM. Hope they give it a try soon. The first lady definitely had low porosity hair!

myfaithrising

For all the youtuber's, RachelCPR did a quick video on MHM, answering some of the questions that she's been getting and giving a bit of advice

Pompous Blue

For all the youtuber's, RachelCPR did a quick video on MHM, answering some of the questions that she's been getting and giving a bit of advice

myfaithrising That was a good video....very good advice for the upcoming Winter months,

I liked Protective Princess' (43) NO GEL WASH "n GO video substituting Jane Cater Solution Shine and Define for the gel step. Can't wait for my hair to get to that stage. She figured it's way cheaper than the gel since 4 oz last her 3 months unlike the gel which lasts her 1 month.

SpiceUpMyHair

Hi Ladies, I haven't started this method yet but I was wondering with the anita grant cubes she gives the option of using coconut milk or water. Is it ok to use coconut milk with the anita grant cubes during step 3, the clay step?

Thx

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
When you use coconut milk with the rhassoul it become extra moisturizing. Like a deep treatment.

It can get some stuff out of your hairbut its not cleansing like bentonite imo

CocoGlow

Pinkecube just created a post on her blog addressing the use of Baking Soda in the MHM ... it's a very good article & debunks a LOT of myths :yep:

MHM Myths Debunked:Cutting Apart the Baking Soda Fixation
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/08/05/mhm-myths-debunked-cutting-apart-the-bakingsoda-fixation/

She answers the following questions:

Is Max Hydration Really just hair getting loosened by bakingsoda?

Is this regimen a texturizer/jerri curl?

Will longterm use of bakingsoda dissolve or damage the hair?

Is step 1 even necessary?

If you have any reservations PLEASE read this post ... in fact a LOT of questions newcomers may have are addressed on her blog :yep:

Tiffanita

I just can't get this to work for me! I gave up after day 4...I did a CLT the first day and used Kinky Curly conditioner and gel, and bentonite clay. My hair curled and stretched like never before with the clay in, but after I rinsed it out, my hair shrunk up again. Pinke Cube said I'm not applying the leave-in and gel properly, but I apply in very small sections on every strand. My hair dried (after a million hours) into a Florida Evans fro and didn't feel that moist. Any suggestions? Should I try different products? I'm definitely low porosity 4b/c. I feel terrible because it seems like I'm the only one to have this method not work!

faithVA

[USER=40407 said:
Tiffanita[/USER];20592057]I just can't get this to work for me! I gave up after day 4...I did a CLT the first day and used Kinky Curly conditioner and gel, and bentonite clay. My hair curled and stretched like never before with the clay in, but after I rinsed it out, my hair shrunk up again. Pinke Cube said I'm not applying the leave-in and gel properly, but I apply in very small sections on every strand. My hair dried (after a million hours) into a Florida Evans fro and didn't feel that moist. Any suggestions? Should I try different products? I'm definitely low porosity 4b/c. I feel terrible because it seems like I'm the only one to have this method not work!

It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. If you are a low po 4b/c, it could take you a couple of months before your hair hydrates enough not to shrink into a fro. I think sometimes we look at people with quick results and think that our hair will do what their hair does. It isn't that way for a lot of people, they just aren't posting. 4 days isn't enough to say how your hair is going to do long term.

For days 2, 3, 4 what did you use for steps 1 and 2?

If you wanted to continue you may have to style your hair in something other than a WNG until your hair hydrates.

hunnychile

Are there any posts about ACV being a cuticle sealant and BS being a cuticle lifter? I wouldn't think the two are interchangeable...I was always under the impression that ACV sealed the cuticles. Is this incorrect?

hunnychile

And does anyone else think that almost all the MH textures look incredibly similar? I also don't like how flat the hair now lies...I like for my hair to have some height to it.

Still gonna try it though, but I'm just wondering out loud :lol:

heirloom

Are there any posts about ACV being a cuticle sealant and BS being a cuticle lifter? I wouldn't think the two are interchangeable...I was always under the impression that ACV sealed the cuticles. Is this incorrect?

Yes you are right, ACV closes and BS opens but they both get rid of dirt. ACV I think is for those doing the method that are high porosity

Tiffanita

It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. If you are a low po 4b/c, it could take you a couple of months before your hair hydrates enough not to shrink into a fro. I think sometimes we look at people with quick results and think that our hair will do what their hair does. It isn't that way for a lot of people, they just aren't posting. 4 days isn't enough to say how your hair is going to do long term. For days 2, 3, 4 what did you use for steps 1 and 2? If you wanted to continue you may have to style your hair in something other than a WNG until your hair hydrates.

Thanks FaithVA for the response and encouragement to keep at it. I used KCKT and KCCC for the other days too. By days 3 and 4, I knew I would end up with a dry afro, so I did a twistout...but it didn't come out as good as my twistouts with other non-MHM approved products. What products have you been using?

My hair hates aloe vera...maybe I should try a gel that doesn't have it so high on the ingredient list?

faithVA

The first step is to primarily remove some build up off the hair, so it isn't necessary to open the cuticle at this stage. The cuticle isn't open at this stage so ACV isn't going to close it any more than it already is. Low Porosity may choose to use BS at this step to open their cuticles especially if they aren't going to use heat. Both low porosity ladies can also use ACV at this step and use heat to open the cuticle at step 2.

High porosity ladies probably want to stick to ACV. Low porosity will probably stick to BS. However, as a low porosity lady I switch up between the two because I use heat in step 2 to open the cuticle.

ACV helps the hair return to a more normal PH. This matters more at the end of a regimen than it does at the beginning.

faithVA

[USER=40407 said:
Tiffanita[/USER];20592283]Thanks FaithVA for the response and encouragement to keep at it. I used KCKT and KCCC for the other days too. By days 3 and 4, I knew I would end up with a dry afro, so I did a twistout...but it didn't come out as good as my twistouts with other non-MHM approved products. What products have you been using?

My hair hates aloe vera...maybe I should try a gel that doesn't have it so high on the ingredient list?

Did you use KCKT for steps 1 and 2? Did you use baking soda or ACV?

Are you using KCKT and the KCCC diluted or undiluted for step 4 and 5?

I only use KCKT and KCCC for steps 4 and 5.

You can try switching products but I find that people that switch early on return to the original products after they have mastered the method a bit more. You can try adding some oil after the KCKT.

Tiffanita

Did you use KCKT for steps 1 and 2? Did you use baking soda or ACV? Are you using KCKT and the KCCC diluted or undiluted for step 4 and 5? I only use KCKT and KCCC for steps 4 and 5. You can try switching products but I find that people that switch early on return to the original products after they have mastered the method a bit more. You can try adding some oil after the KCKT.

I used KCKT for steps 1 & 2. What do you use? I used baking soda and I tried the KCCC straight and diluted. I also tried aloe Vera gel (fail). I do think oil might help- I need something to weigh my hair down some...

faithVA

I used KCKT for steps 1 & 2. What do you use? I used baking soda and I tried the KCCC straight and diluted. I also tried aloe Vera gel (fail). I do think oil might help- I need something to weigh my hair down some...

I use a real conditioner for steps 1 and definitely for step 2. I am using Curls Ecstasy for step 1 and I use Naturelle Grow or Jessicurl for step 2.

Try getting a real deep conditioner for step 2 at least.

I switch between baking soda and acv for step 1 and I do acv more than baking soda.

I haven't found anything to weigh my hair down yet but I don't wear my hair out very often. If your hair isn't hydrated which it sounds like it isn't because of the fro, it is not really going to be weighed down. It is the water that stays in the strand that is going to cause the hair to be weighed down. Not sure what you can do in the meantime.

You really haven't done it enough times yet to really say what is going to help you. You will need a number of consistent washes to see what works for you hair.

I have found that I don't get better results by doing it more often. Doing it more than every 3 days is not effective. So I stick to every 3 days.

IronButterfly

I've completed my 7 days of mhm and this is a side by side comparison of my hair in a twist out pre and post treatment. My hair is very low density and I'm not so sure about the porosity, but I'm thinking it's normal to low, 4a. Moisturizer used to leave my hair feeling stiff the following day, but this time my hair was very soft and kinda bouncy.

I am a BELIEVER!!! (and will continue on with treatment until i die!)

ETA Post is on the left, pre is on the right. I hope ya'll could tell.:lol:

ChocolatePie777

I think im going to do this eveb though I have ramen noodle hair already lol.....just my very front and sides need work

Also, I have to figure out how to still incorporate the aryuvedic powders ive come to love with this.

And question. ...can I skip the cherry lola treatment entirely.....sry if its been asked already

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
You might have to tweak some things as I did:

I used a real DC for thst first week for the dc step. Using the same rinse out in step 1 for step 2 left me with a Florida Evans. After that my hair clumped nicely though there was some curl after the first try.

Also I went ahead and bought the Tresemme. My hair fell in love and clumps now with step 1.

Also try switching clay. If the bentonite isnt weighing you down try other options. I noticed that rhassoul doesnt weigh mine down or moisturize as well as pink clay.

She lists aloe as an iffy ingredient and warns folk to be ware of it also, so maybe eliminate it. My hair hates it straight up or high in the ingredient list.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I think im going to do this eveb though I have ramen noodle hair already lol.....just my very front and sides need work

Also, I have to figure out how to still incorporate the aryuvedic powders ive come to love with this.

And question. ...can I skip the cherry lola treatment entirely.....sry if its been asked already

I skip it, but if i need protein i use millcreek botanical