Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
fluffyforever. Straight up no chaser :lol:

My hair is ok with it. I do full DC after. So that's daily moisture DCs. As I reach max hydration it feels less stripped.

Obviously not everyone will respond the same. Your hair might hate it. Remember, my hair was fine with this product BEFORE mhm. If yours was iffy just watch it closely....

Anyhoo.. I am going to switch to the soda next week as comparison.

fluffyforever

fluffyforever. Straight up no chaser :lol: My hair is ok with it. I do full DC after. So that's daily moisture DCs. As I reach max hydration it feels less stripped. Obviously not everyone will respond the same. Your hair might hate it. Remember, my hair was fine with this product BEFORE mhm. If yours was iffy just watch it closely.... Anyhoo.. I am going to switch to the soda next week as comparison.

Ok. I will just use baking soda mixed with AO conditioners for step 1 and save my AO swimmers shampoo for my hair after I swim only. I am picking up TJ TTT today for the DC. I have leave-ins already that I want to use up from Komaza to use under my KCCC gel.

I'm excited. I took before pictures today after washing my hair the normal way I do it. I'll be posting updates after a trying this for a few days.

SimJam

ugggg I just typed a long post then accidentally closed the page .... ok here we go again

Did the cerry lola treatment last night. The last time I did it was about 3 weeks ago.

DC purabody naturals chocolate smoothie (overnight after the cherry lola)
This product is not recommended because it has hydrolyzed protein and one other ingredient I think BUT from what I read in the BHM thread, using products not on the MHM DC list will slow the progress to MH most if used as the LI. Some effects of Using them for the DC/Cowash are lessened by the detox/cleansing of the clay step.

In the morning I did the clay (1 hour)
LI diluted KCKT
Gel (2 tbs KCCC, 3tbs water, 5 tbs flaxseed gel) didn't use all the mixture so I just put it up back in the fridge

also from reading the BHM thread I saw that applying the LI then gel to each section rather than LI all over then gel all over works better. Also kept a spray bottle of warm water to soak each section of hair before adding the LI

forgive the sideways pics ..... Photobucket wont allow me to be great :cry2:

Last edited:

RockRideTrue

For those curious, here's a link of pictures of PinkCube's hair from BHM. It's as lush as you would imagine it would be :kiss3:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page30.html

Also a tip for getting a smooth, easy to apply clay rinse is using HOT water (let it cool before use of course, you can make it before you start with MHM) put all your ingredients in an old dish soap bottle and shake it to a smooth consistency. Works like a charm.

By chance has anyone found any other conditioners for this method that don't cost so much? Especially since the Tresemme conditioner is ka-put.

Guinan

Re-Branding
For those curious, here's a link of pictures of PinkCube's hair from BHM. It's as lush as you would imagine it would be :kiss3:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page30.html

Also a tip for getting a smooth, easy to apply clay rinse is using HOT water (let it cool before use of course, you can make it before you start with MHM) put all your ingredients in an old dish soap bottle and shake it to a smooth consistency. Works like a charm.

By chance has anyone found any other conditioners for this method that don't cost so much? Especially since the Tresemme conditioner is ka-put.

Have you tried Trader Joe's conditioner. That was one of the conditioners that was on the list.

I've been using Herbal Essence, Hello Hydration conditioner without any issues; however, I do want to try one of the "approved" conditioners.

fluffyforever

This is a LONG post for lurkers. Please read all of it!!!

I just did the routine for the first time this morning. I can't describe the way my hair feels. It's so soft and my ends are super coily like when I first BC'ed over 8 years ago. Yes this routine has a lot of steps, but I already had a 5-step routine: detangle, Prepoo, wash, condition, style.

Here is how I modified with things in my stash:
-I raised my cuticles first with watered down baking soda mixed with AO GPB. This was my light protein in lieu of the Cherry Lola. 10 min
-I DC'ed with TJ TTT by heating up the conditioner. 10 min
-I used the Aztec healing bentonite clay mix per the recipe, used HOT water. 10 min
-I used the rest of my DC for a leave in after I added more water. 5 min
-I used KCCC for my styling gel. 30 min

The whole process took 1.5 hours. It could have been shorter, I was too busy staring in the mirror looking at my coils in the gel step. Wash day usually takes me 5 steps: 1 hour to detangle, 30 minutes to Prepoo, 3 min to shampoo, 3 min to add back moisture with conditioner, 2 hours to apply creams and style my hair for the week. MHM saves me about 2 hours.

Of course, I'll be doing MHM more often over the week so this method will be more time consuming. However, if my hair gets max hydrated and I can do this every 3-5 days, it would be so worth it. If my hair NEEDs water just like I NEED to drink water and eat food every day, why on earth am I only washing my hair on weekends and misting lightly throughout the week and slapping more creams in my hair??? If I'm LOW porosity, those rewetting sessions aren't doing squat for my hair if I don't raise the cuticle first, which is why my hair is always dry and dull looking.

I've done items in this routine before like having a light protein treatment, DC, using a leave in, using gel. But this method produced instant, noticeable results for me that I haven't had before.

Here is why I think it does: READ THIS IF NOTHING ELSE
- Using a substance to raise cuticles. I used very diluted baking soda. Others have used a clarifying shampoo. The REASON is more important than the PRODUCT. Don't get caught up on baking soda being mentioned and turning this method down for this reason.
- Watering down conditioner for DC and leave-in. I thought I loved creamy thick conditioners because I can feel it and see on my hair. I know I covered every last inch of my head. I was WRONG. Watering down the conditioner helps it penetrate the shaft better. If it is not in a message your hair is naturally responsive to (water), how is your hair going to receive it?
- Heating up conditioner. Instant softness and quicker DC time.
- Clay is a must. This is the true CLEANSER in the method. If you don't use a clarifying shampoo for step 1, this is the only thing that will actually clean your hair. It also encourages clumping and softness.
- AVOIDING ingredients that dry out my hair when styling: glycerin, hydrolyzed proteins, salts, silicones, denatured alcohols, aloe vera juice, caster oil, coconut oil. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. The MHM site stresses the avoidance of these and other items because even TRACE amounts can be DRYING or cause BUILD UP that the clay wont be able to remove!!!

Last edited:

LavenderMint

Hi y'all!!
FluffyForever is right, this is long!! I've been lurking and wading through this thread for the past two weeks or so. I've been natural for about 16 years and loced my hair about 13 years ago. Back then, there wasn't a lot of info available for us 4C ladies and I couldn't STAND spending 4-6, sometimes 8, hours on my hair. So I locked, thinking it was my only option to loooooong hours detangling and styling.

For the past six months or so, I've been thinking about combing out my bsl locs. The only thing holding me back was remembering the hours it took to do my loose natural hair all that time ago, the missing brush bristles and snapped combs, all the ssk, split ends, and painful tangles. Oh, and the products touted for "ethnic natural hair care" that took off my nail polish. (>_<)

Basically, I just wanted to come and thank all of you ladies here giving this a shot. I am still doing my research about this method and it's effects but I'm thinking more and more- this is what I want to try for my post locs haircare.

Thank you ladies for sharing your experience and knowledge!

RockRideTrue

Have you tried Trader Joe's conditioner. That was one of the conditioners that was on the list.

I've been using Herbal Essence, Hello Hydration conditioner without any issues; however, I do want to try one of the "approved" conditioners.
Trader Joe's has a habit of messing up the ingredient list of any product that was good the minute I start buying it. Their moisture conditioner was the bomb, then they had to mess with it. I'm just trying to find a decent cheap replacement, for if it happens. There has to be more MHM approved condishes out there.

CaramelLites

So I'm waiting on my clay be delivered. I ordered from ebay. But, I looked at my hair today and read some more and I'm not really sure MHM is for me. All of the no no ingredients my hair loves. Aloe vera, coconut oil, glycerin. Also my hair doesn't really need product or gel to clump. For example in cowashed today with Suave coconut conditioner. I detangled with my denman brush and added diluted kckt leavein

CaramelLites

So I'm waiting on my clay be delivered. I ordered from ebay. But, I looked at my hair today and read some more and I'm not really sure MHM is for me. All of the no no ingredients my hair loves. Aloe vera, coconut oil, glycerin. Also my hair doesn't really need product or gel to clump. For example in cowashed today with Suave coconut conditioner. I detangled with my denman brush and added diluted kckt leavein

ForumRunner_20140914_161850.jpg

ForumRunner_20140914_161902.jpg

ForumRunner_20140914_161920.jpg

Guinan

Re-Branding

My hair loves AVJ & coconut oil too, but my hair RESPONDS better with this method. With this method I have defined curls before a leavein & brush & the moisture stays in my hair.

Before this method I had curls, but they would frizz up when my hair dried. Now that doesn't happen.

Last edited:

CaramelLites

My hair loves AVJ & coconut oil too, but my hair RESPONDS better with this method. With this method I have defined curls before a leavein & brush & the moisture stays in my hair.

Before this method I had curls, but they would frizz up when my hair dried. Now that doesn't happen.

Yeah I have curls before the leavein and brush as well. I'm going to give it a try or least a partial try. I cowash daily anyway. I just dont know if I'll follow all of the steps. Everything I've read though seems like it's more geared towards those whose hair doesn't normally clump. But, I'm going to take a look and see attitude.

CocoGlow

Yeah I have curls before the leavein and brush as well. I'm going to give it a try or least a partial try. I cowash daily anyway. I just dont know if I'll follow all of the steps. Everything I've read though seems like it's more geared towards those whose hair doesn't normally clump. But, I'm going to take a look and see attitude.

CaramelLites

I think all hair types will benefit from the MHM, however those of us whose coils don't clump using traditional products/methods will probably see the most dramatic difference in the appearance of our hair.

I can see from your pics that your ends clump well but I think with this method your hair will come to clump from root to tip before even using gel once you reach Max Hydration and your hair will feel much more moisturized.

On the MHM Facebook/Instagram pages you can see images of people with various hair types (a LOT of them are not 4C) showing the difference in their hair after doing this method for a while which may give you an idea of what can happen to your hair as well :yep:

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Max-Hydration-Method/738921376154174?fref=nf

Instagram
http://instagram.com/maxhydrationmethod

SimJam

I agree I think everyone can benefit from MHM.

We're always searching for products that impart moisture, this process infuses moisture into the hair so that it acts how it should act (form uniform curls and not kinks or kinks on curls) The added bonus is hair that clumps.

If you are gonna do this I also suggest reading that BHM thread. Every single question I had is answered. Im on page 106 and just taking my time a few pages a day.

Ive also found my goto gel (something Ive been looking for) and its homemade flaxseed gel. Now Im just tweaking it to get the perfect balance between hold and softness. For now Im just using it along with KCCC

fluffyforever

Here are my before and after pictures. Both are product free hair right after a final rinse in the shower. The before was taken after my normal wash routine (detangle, Prepoo, shampoo, condition). The after was taken the next day before I started the leave-in and gel steps.

Before: wet hair shrinks really fast. There isn't a consistent shape. Hair stands up and out more. Some coils visible, but mostly frizz.

image-1234548467.jpg

image-1051355044.jpg

After: wet hair has more hang-time. My shape looks more consistent like a bob cut. Coils are poppin', but still very frizzy going towards the roots.

image-4063728704.jpg

image-125919632.jpg

preciouslove0x

Omg it's like I've seen the light in this thread! It all makes sense!

But let me get this straight... 4b/c ladies are you actually allowing your hair to dry unstretched??? And you're not getting ssks or matted hair??? I'm sorry I need a simple yes because my mind won't process anything else.

Omg this method literally changes EVERYTHING! I don't have problems clumping when my hair is wet or semi-dry but I have never ever ever allowed my hair to dry unstretched so I don't even know what that looks like with my hair lol.

fluffyforever

But let me get this straight... 4b/c ladies are you actually allowing your hair to dry unstretched??? And you're not getting ssks or matted hair??? I'm sorry I need a simple yes because my mind won't process anything else. Omg this method literally changes EVERYTHING! I don't have problems clumping when my hair is wet or semi-dry but I have never ever ever allowed my hair to dry unstretched so I don't even know what that looks like with my hair lol.

How my hair looked in the after was defined even more after the gel step and my hair didn't shrink much after it dried. So YES, my hair air dried unstretched.

I would never do that before without asking for a 5 hour detangle session with scissors. But after the clay step, my hair was transformed. It felt like a different head of hair.

Guinan

Re-Branding

But let me get this straight... 4b/c ladies are you actually allowing your hair to dry unstretched??? And you're not getting ssks or matted hair??? I'm sorry I need a simple yes because my mind won't process anything else.

Omg this method literally changes EVERYTHING! I don't have problems clumping when my hair is wet or semi-dry but I have never ever ever allowed my hair to dry unstretched so I don't even know what that looks like with my hair lol.

I'm not 4b/c, but I hope u dont mind me answering. Before the MHM, but hair would matt and tangle like crazy, if I didnt apply my leavein and begin to style right away. Now, I can let me hair dry unstretched w/o any problems. My hair remains soft and manageable.

So YASSSSS!!!! Believe it. This method is AWESOME!!!!:yep::yep::yep:

Guinan

Re-Branding
So Ladies, since begining this method and doing the inversion method, I have noticed an amazing growth spurt(sp). I measured my hair over the weekend, and since my BC last month, I have gained 1/2 to 1 1/2 inch in certain areas!! I think it's a combo of both methods.

Have you ladies notice any growth?

shelli4018

Yes. In fact I've come to really like my shrinkage because it now consists of curls versus dried out frizz.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Omg it's like I've seen the light in this thread! It all makes sense! But let me get this straight... 4b/c ladies are you actually allowing your hair to dry unstretched??? And you're not getting ssks or matted hair??? I'm sorry I need a simple yes because my mind won't process anything else. Omg this method literally changes EVERYTHING! I don't have problems clumping when my hair is wet or semi-dry but I have never ever ever allowed my hair to dry unstretched so I don't even know what that looks like with my hair lol.

I'm mostly 4b and yes I let my hair dry I stretched because of this method. No SSKs, tangles, or matted hair. Less shedding and detangling is so much easier. Breakage is at an all time low. I'm a little over a month in.

Being able to truly embrace shrinkage is great for me. Before being in summer humidity or getting my loose hair wet was a disaster. Not anymore. Having the freedom to style my hair any way I want to is great. Twists. Flexirods, any of the various "outs" , wash and goes.

I'm still closely monitoring my hair for ill effects. I truly hope this method continues to be beneficial over the long term because all of things that caused the plateaus in my hair journey are practically gone now.

CocoGlow

preciouslove0x

I have very densely packed 4B/4C hair and yes I have been allowing my hair to dry in it's shrunken state using the MHM :blush:

I used to be so jealous of other naturals who had the option to either stretch their hair after a wash session or allow it to shrink without suffering damage but I didn't have a choice- I ALWAYS had to stretch my hair after washing - or else :sad:

So I tried a Wash n Go experiment a few years ago to really test the theory that it would mean dealing with tons of single strand knots and tangles galore on my hair type and let me tell you, my hair was so FULL of SSKs within a few washes-I was in complete shock, like how did all these knots get here so fast??! I loved the ease of that regimen but I had to trim so much of my hair afterwards and I resolved to never do that again. :nono:

But now with the MHM my coils are starting to clump more over time and this clumping helps the strands to act cohesively & prevent those dreaded single strand knots from forming - I was skeptical but I have yet to see one knot so far and I can't wait for all of my strands to clump from root to tip lessening the chance of getting those pesky knots ever again. I'm really loving the ease of wearing Wash n Gos now too :grin:

mamaore

I'm kinda beating myself up for giving up on my 4c hair, but I'm unsure if I want to big chop my APL hair for a trial and error that may not pan out!.

Can I try this regimen as a relaxed head?

Honey Bee

I'm kinda beating myself up for giving up on my 4c hair, but I'm unsure if I want to big chop my APL hair for a trial and error that may not pan out!.

Can I try this regimen as a relaxed head?
mamaore, :yep: I'm deep into a transition and I'm doing it. I do all the steps, including gel which I don't normally use, and then twist for a T-O.

SimJam

Second day hair
The roots dried pretty fuzzy but the ends are very defined

ForumRunner_20140915_131657.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using LHCF .... plz excuse the occasional crap typos :)

SimJam

I'm mostly 4b and yes I let my hair dry I stretched because of this method. No SSKs, tangles, or matted hair. Less shedding and detangling is so much easier. Breakage is at an all time low. I'm a little over a month in.

Being able to truly embrace shrinkage is great for me. Before being in summer humidity or getting my loose hair wet was a disaster. Not anymore. Having the freedom to style my hair any way I want to is great. Twists. Flexirods, any of the various "outs" , wash and goes.

I'm still closely monitoring my hair for ill effects. I truly hope this method continues to be beneficial over the long term because all of things that caused the plateaus in my hair journey are practically gone now.

agree with everything here but especially the bolded

SSKs GONE
Dryness GONE
Breakage ... mostly gone

every time I think about the hassle of the process I remind myself that I just need to get my hair to a level of moisture retention that allows me to ease up on the frequency of doing the full reggi.

I wish there was a "moisture boost" process we could do mid week that doesn't take 2 hours to do ... like just combining steps 1+2 into a regular DC then doing the LI and gel.:lick:

SimJam

So Ladies, since begining this method and doing the inversion method, I have noticed an amazing growth spurt(sp). I measured my hair over the weekend, and since my BC last month, I have gained 1/2 to 1 1/2 inch in certain areas!! I think it's a combo of both methods.

Have you ladies notice any growth?

I dunno, will update next month

I sure hope the heck so :yep:

bajandoc86

Lipstick Lover
Every time you update in this thread SimJam I come running.

ETA: have you tried any twistouts or braidouts since doing MhM? If so does the pattern of the twist/braidout come out nicely? Or is it that you can still see defined coils when you pull the twists apart? Also, how long can you go between 're-upping' your moisture?

Last edited: