Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

CocoGlow

Did any of you NOT start this method with the cherry Lola treatment? What is its purpose, anyway?

bellebebe

I did not start with the Cherry Lola Treatment simply because I did not have all of the ingredients ... it is optional

I do plan to do it when I can collect the ingredients to see how my hair responds. I think the fact that we are removing a lot of products with protein for the MHM, it might actually be necessary to do this treatment every once in while for a mild protein treatment according to your hair needs. Some may need to do it more often than others :yep:

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Did any of you NOT start this method with the cherry Lola treatment? What is its purpose, anyway?

I did the original cherry lola treatment, not the modified one the method suggests. I've done it prior to starting the method and it's a nice mild protein treatment. Always get really soft hair. It's also clarifies the hair.

shelli4018

I think that the current hair typing system might HAVE to change or better yet a newer more accurate system needs to come about after people get hip to the MHM because the pictures and descriptions they use to represent 4B/4C hair types are incorrect.

They show pics of Type 4B/4C that has not reached max hydration (afro style only) and they describe the hair as not having a defined curl/coil pattern at all or having a coils that do not clump which is not true afterall. It's only true if you treat 4B/4C hair the same as other hair types that show curl/coil definition using the products and regimens of the mainstream Natural Hair Movement.

The only thing the hair typing system got right is showcasing the SIZE or DIAMETER or the curl/coil gets smaller and smaller from 3A-4C :yep:

MHM is completely changing the game and making people rethink everything!

I agree. What I don't look forward to is the ensuing controversy it will bring. For some reason hair is highly political within the black community. We've even coined phrases like "texture discrimination." What happens to those people who totally identify with being 4C but aren't? I know I don't want to stop seeing the variety of textures we possess. Maybe there truly are 4C's but they aren't as common as we once thought?

CocoGlow

I agree. What I don't look forward to is the ensuing controversy it will bring. For some reason hair is highly political within the black community. We've even coined phrases like "texture discrimination." What happens to those people who totally identify with being 4C but aren't? I know I don't want to stop seeing the variety of textures we possess. Maybe there truly are 4C's but they aren't as common as we once thought?

shelli4018

Yeah this is going to cause MAJOR controversy in the Natural Hair Community - it has already sparked some controversy and I think that as the word spreads there will be even more backlash because the conversation for 4B/4C naturals has been all about acceptance of our Cottony Afros (in it's unknowingly dehydrated state) for so long and a commitment to stretching at ALL times -Wash n Gos were for "other" textures because they automatically meant dealing with tangles and knots galore. Everyone, including myself truly believed that 4B/4C hair was not meant to have defined coils and that striving for that is a sign of self-hatred and coveting other textures.

The Max Hydration Method is opening my eyes to fact that the only textures that do not have coils/curls/waves that are capable of being defined (hydrated) are those with Type 1 hair! That is mind-blowing and game changing but it makes so much sense. A lot of us have an abundance of coils/curls/waves but certain hair textures have to make sure we don't use certain ingredients that coat or strip our strands in order to allow true hydration to soak in and allow our coils/curls/waves to thrive and clump however tiny/big they may be :yep:

With MHM, stretched styles will become just another styling option for 4B/4C naturals and not a mandate to ensure hair health ... I just can't wait to have options and to know what truly hydrated, tangle/knot-free hair really feels like :grin:

myfaithrising

shelli4018 Everyone, including myself truly believed that 4B/4C hair was not meant to have defined coils and that striving for that is a sign of self-hatred and coveting other textures:grin:

I thought the same thing, and I almost cannot believe that my hair now is the same head of frizz that I thought was just a cottony type 4c. Who knew? This is a real breakthrough for type 4 naturals, I think of all the heartache I've heard here and on you tube from sisters who gave up because they felt that their type 4 hair was unmanageable.

Has anyone heard of anyone who did the MHM and had no change at all? I'm not talking about slow progress but no progress. I've heard complaints of time and the # of steps but I've yet to come across someone who did the system and it had no effect at all.

SpiritJunkie

My hair has really turned around due to MHM. I'm amazed & very very happy with the results and my new found curls. I believe the back is at least 75% or more hydrated.

I'm wearing a wig but I will do this twice a week and have my hair twisted underneath.

I love love love this technique.:yay:

using European Clay, tresemmae conditioner and giavanni gel.

myfaithrising

My hair has really turned around due to MHM. I'm amazed & very very happy with the results and my new found curls. I believe the back is at least 75% or more hydrated.

I'm wearing a wig but I will do this twice a week and have my hair twisted underneath.
I love love love this technique.:yay:
using European Clay, tresemmae conditioner and giavanni gel.

I am so glad the system is working for you and that you're happy with the results! I feel the exact same way!!

shelli4018

Anyone have any ideas for how they'll maintain their hair during the colder months? Running around town with frozen hair ain't cute! I ordered a steamer to cut down on my DC time. Doubt I'll want to GHE in the Winter. A diffuser may be on my list of things to buy soon too.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Anyone have any ideas for how they'll maintain their hair during the colder months? Running around town with frozen hair ain't cute! I ordered a steamer to cut down on my DC time. Doubt I'll want to GHE in the Winter. A diffuser may be on my list of things to buy soon too.

I've been using my hair dryer. And before i start to use the dryer, i use a t-shirt to remove excess water.

almond eyes

The whole point of the maximum hydration is for the hair to better accept water and moisture treatments. Curly or a wavier texture might be a by product but not for everyone. And I think you can tell if you are high porosity if your hair is accepting hydration or not.

I think there are other ways that are less complicated and I am sure someone will explore that option soon. I keep saying one option is to get a professional demi permanent or semi permanent hair colour which can soften up the cuticles.

For women that are high porosity training the hair to accept water and moisture is the key.

But women who are low porosity may feel differently about the issue of maximum hydration.

I will say the following, my hair in pictures of me over the years as a natural, I can now see the difference for example in some pictures my hair was very dry looking and drawn and I could tell those were the times my mother only washed my hair once every two weeks and then slapped grease on thinking that was going to bring moisture and shine. In other pictures where my hair looked curly and moist that was when hair had been washed at least once a week if not more.

Best,
Almond Eyes

myfaithrising

I was on the Natural Haven site a minute ago and it looks like she's going to jump into whether the MHM regimen really works. She's going to review the porosity issue, whether or not the repetition is necessary and whether or not we have to stick to the recommended ingredient list. This should be really interesting...

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Doing a version of MHM right now.

I am a high high high porosity very fine type 4c. Cotton. No real curl definition.

Note: I have used baking soda paste straight up no buffer regularly in the past on my super high porosity hair. Never caused me damage.

However, I am making an experiment and dont mind guinea piging an alternative for the soda wary hi po ladies:

Since the point with the soda is to fully open the cuticle, a naturalish clarifyer should work just as well? I will use Aubrey Organics Swimmers Shampoo. One wash just to open them. The stripped feeling with these shampoos Is just the cuticle opening and not nec dryness. If that becomes issue though, I will mix the shampoo with a DC to buffer. Then DC (lots of AO ones stashed), clay (Australian pink since I got plenty), AIA leave in and their jelly. The other botanical brands cause me breakage.

I can do this between today and Monday. About to do clay rinse now.

I am mobile but will scrounge laptop later for a before since I forgot a before pic prior to starting.

Last edited:

cocomama

myfaithrising This is great news…basically this will answer the questions I emailed pink cube. Also it will give us some microscopic research to prove or disprove the validity in the constant open cuticles arguments.

I love how the natural hair community has grown to the point where we are doing our own research on different methods. We are not just taking a companies word for products or anything of that matter. We stay analysising and critiquing every thing.:grin:

CocoGlow

I was on the Natural Haven site a minute ago and it looks like she's going to jump into whether the MHM regimen really works. She's going to review the porosity issue, whether or not the repetition is necessary and whether or not we have to stick to the recommended ingredient list. This should be really interesting...

Very interesting ... I wonder how she will be testing it?

It will also be very interesting to see different MHM-approved product lists for those with High Porosity or Normal porosity hair or even if the steps can/should be re-arranged depending on the person's porosity ... I think the MHM as it stands now works best for Low Porosity hair and a lot of the ingredients to avoid are catered to that ... certain ingredients may be avoided regardless of porosity (silicones, etc) but others may be acceptable depending on porosity (more proteins, etc) ... this is only the beginning but I think the overall method may be similar for all porosities :yep:

myfaithrising

myfaithrising

I love how the natural hair community has grown to the point where we are doing our own research on different methods. We are not just taking a companies word for products or anything of that matter. We stay analysising and critiquing every thing.:grin:

Yes, we are not playing, we need scientific evidence! ! The natural haven reviewed MHM a month or so ago, it seems like she's going in a bit deeper this time which is great. You can never have too much information.

SimJam

day 2

I made flax seed gel and mixed with my KCCC awesomenesssss !!!! also found the approved tresseme naturals (with avocado and olive) here in Jamaica score !!!

Im not sure about this wet hair though .... need to find a diffuser attachment STAT

SimJam

Thanks cocomama Im hoping I don't lose too much volume .... but the moisture LAWWWWD the moisture ... my hair feels awesome. and not one SSK in sight

once you reach max hydration how do you maintain ?
do the process every 3 days ?

I was wondering if I couldn't just cowash mid week then do the process on the weekend with cherry lolas once a month

I don't remember reading anything about a maintenance regimen

Guinan

Re-Branding
Finished doing MHM, but i had 2 do the modified. Prior to doing the MHM i used protein b/c i had too much moisture.

I put some twists in, for a twistout 2morrow

Guinan

Re-Branding
Thanks cocomama Im hoping I don't lose too much volume .... but the moisture LAWWWWD the moisture ... my hair feels awesome. and not one SSK in sight

I was wondering if I couldn't just cowash mid week then do the process on the weekend with cherry lolas once a month

I'm not too sure if I'm at max yet, but i hadn't done MHM or even washed my hair in a week & my curls were still there after following the MHM

CocoGlow

SimJam

I know Pinkecube says she has gone as long as 5 days between sessions as maintenance ... she said that the issue with going long periods between sessions is all the shed hair (between 80-100 strands per day) being trapped in your other strands making the next detangling session harder

You could certainly co-wash in between but the problem is a simple co-wash is not going to get rid of the Gel/Leave-in residue and your hair might not accept the moisture ... you would prob have to do a modified version where you clarify first then do a regular co-wash, etc ... you might get away with skipping the deep conditioning and clay steps but then again it all depends on your hair & your level of hydration :yep:

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
So I completed day one yesterday and my undefined cotton ball was a head of tiny pin coils!!! Normally my hi p.o. fine hair is bone dry in less than 30 min. It took a couple hours after this one treatment. It also dried so so soft and springy. I sported it as a wng. :) no evidence of breakage. Matter of fact, there was way less with manipulation this morning than even yesterday before the mhm.

Woke up this morning and its still the same! No breakage, soft, defined. I sleep on satin pillow cases.

I will complete treatment 2 in just a few.

Note: just as yesterday I will use the AO shampoo just to see if its a viable cuticle opening alternative. If my hair dries its simple enough to stop using it. No biggie.

CocoGlow

I just thought of something ... Doesn't JC from the Natural Haven use Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration (silicone based conditioner) in her routine? I wonder if this will affect how her hair responds to the MHM? Just a thought - I don't know if she will be doing the scientific experiment on her hair or if she still uses the silicone conditioner ...

Joigirl

This method looks promising. My 11 year old DD has 4a/4b hair. I don't want to use any baking soda on her baby fine strands. Are there other options?

myfaithrising

FYI, the approved Tresemme naturals radiant volume conditioner with sweet orange and lemongrass is on sale at Walgreens.com 2 for $10. This version is not available in stores.

AJellyCake

Ugh whyyyy can't we use glycerin???? I read the stuff on the website but curl activators were the only thing that made my hair really soft and moisturized. :(

I think this MHM is improving my hair but it's taking forever! And I look HAM in the meantime.