Any naturals thinking of texlexing this year?

The Savvy Sistah

Any naturals thinking of texlaxing this year?

Hey Ladies,

I just want to know if any other lady is going to bite the bullet and texlax their hair this year.

Of course it's not for everyone, but as my hair get's longer it's getting more difficult to control. (and I can't stand the knots and tangles, their destroying my hair)

My goal was to texlax when I got to BSL anyway because I like wearing my hair straight but I want to also wear it curly.

My hair was a little damaged before I went natural the summer of 2005 and I felt that going natural would give me a clean & healthy start.

I was little nervous at first about the possiblilites until I saw beautiful texlaxed results on this board.

Last edited:

kgard7777

I am not all natural but I am 7mths post and I am about to texlax... I want the best of both worlds too. I would like my somewhat natural texture and then straight hair without major newgrowth.

nappity

I have no intention of Tex-laxing. Ive damaged my hair enough with hair dye.
But its true that as natural hair grows longer- it also grows in width. The important thing is no matter what you do- you've gotta treat your hair like its a precious antique. The tex-laxed ladies on this board DO have beautiful hair!!

I'm trying to encourage my daughter to tex-lax instead of that bone straight style she likes.

hopeful

I have no intentions of texlaxing or texturizing, but I wish you luck girl, I hope it comes out beautifully if you do it.

Jetblackhair

Hey Savvy, Even though it's been a little difficult for me adjusting to my natural hair, No, I won't be texlaxing this year.

I haven't given myself time enough to really know how to manage my hair. Hopefully, it will be easier in the future as I learn more.

missnappylady

I've been thinking about it and I'm really scared though. Whenever I see Sereca's hair.... I get tempted to just go for it.

Moonxyz

nope, i can get my hair straight, textured (braid/twist oust), or in an afro.
so i don't see why i should...

Soliel185

I texlaxed yesterday at 6 1/2 months post. My hair is APL and 1/3 of it was v. thick coarse 4a natural so the difference in texture was tough to deal with. I have a tendancy to make major hair changes on or around New Years and this year was no exception. I put 100% Jheri Redding Natural Protein ( which smells and looks like stale soy sauce ) in a spray bottle and saturated my hair with it. Once it dried I used ORS extra strength no-lye for 20 minutes. The hair is still big, but it's much softer/silkier. I can run my fingers through it, and water will weigh it down. Also I can smooth it into a pony or bun with my hands. The texture is very coily and looks uniform all the way through but I don't know what it would curl up like w/o my relaxed ends. I'm thinking I might transition to texlax and if that goes well - to fully natural down the line.

ichephren

I just self relaxed(yay, my first time) after being 8mths post with the intention of transitioning. I decided against it after months of debating the flat iron v. relaxer dialogue to get my hair straight. Phyto, I think, is much gentler than flat ironing all the time and my hair stays straight! Oh well, I might go natural when I'm much much older.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I think about it.

I linger in the perm aisle at the BSS.

But I haven't come to a conclusion yet.

I just hate touch ups.

alwayzalady22

i just texlaxed on dec 30...my stylist used a syntonics or syntronics mild relaxer in my hair, worked it in for about 10 minutes, then rinsed me out...

she pressed my hair, and it looked FLY for NYE...i didn't really get to see it wet, but i'll probably at least cowash in 2 days, so that will be my first REAL experience with my texlaxed hair...!

The Savvy Sistah

Thanks ladies!

I just get so fustrated sometimes because going natural was suppose to be a good thing, but I seem to be faced with so many issues with my hair that it get's discouraging.

I have about 6 months until I will even consider getting my hair texlaxed (I'll be to my goal of BSL) so now I just want to focus on loving my hair and creating a regmine that works for me.

I had alot of personal things happen in my life the last 5 months (when my grandmother fell and broke her neck and had to have brain surgery) and before I knew it my hair was the last thing I cared about.

I stopped doing everything I learned on the forum and the challenges went out the window.

But praise God she's home now and I can see a brighter day ahead.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Jetblackhair

Thanks ladies!

I just get so fustrated sometimes because going natural was suppose to be a good thing, but I seem to be faced with so many issues with my hair that it get's discouraging.

I have about 6 months until I will even consider getting my hair texlaxed (I'll be to my goal of BSL) so now I just want to focus on loving my hair and creating a regmine that works for me.

I had alot of personal things happen in my life the last 5 months (when my grandmother fell and broke her neck and had to have brain surgery) and before I knew it my hair was the last thing I cared about.

I stopped doing everything I learned on the forum and the challenges went out the window.

Savvy, I'm sorry to hear that about your grandmother. I'm glad she is doing much better. By the way your hair looks great in your avatar.

growth2come

I was considering it but since I have been using coconut milk in my prepoo it sorts out the tangles and knots and makes my hair soft and shiny so I guess my answer is a NO. Besides the thought of having a relaxer on my scalp still haunts me - still have visions of the cabbage patches!:nono:

honeybadgirl

i did in october and am so happy i did! absolutely no regrets!! i'm stretching now and i intend to get my hair touched up feb 1st!!:grin:

ichephren

Good God! I'm so sorry about your grandmother, and I hope she'll come to a full recovery :pray:

Thanks ladies!

lana

I texlaxed for the first time in 07 and it was the best thing I have EVER done for my hair - EVER:grin:! I touch it up 3-4 times a year. I use Mizani No-Lye for 10 minutes, minimal smoothing of edges and my hair loves me! I wear it straight most days - 90% of the time - so why fight with my natural texture? That only led to breakage!

Finding out about texlaxing was the best hair "secret" I've ever learned from LHCF. :rolleyes:

mscocoface

I am glad to hear that your grandmother is doing better.

You mention that you had not been taking care of your hair and for good reason.

I would recommend you get it back into a healthy state before applying the relaxer so your hair is in the best possible shape.

As for me, I have no plans for using chemicals in the foreseeable future. I am one of those folks who emotions shows in the hair so if I am stressing or not feeling well it shows in my hair by breakage or major shedding, chemicals of any kind including color just are not good for me and my hair.