Any college student's on LHCF?

eunique

Howdy! I was just wondering if there are / how many college students are on LHCF, because I start at Howard this fall and I'm just worried about being able to keep up my regimen w/all the extra work. I pretty much have tons of free time right now to obsess over my hair but I know it won't be that way come August. So my questions are ...

How do you keep up with your regimen? Do you have a set day for taking care of your tresses?

Also, if you're in the DC area do you have a stylist recommendation? haha. I'm sooooo afraid of letting someone besides my mom do my hair. She's a stylist and has been doing it since forever and she takes care of it and stuff so I'm spooked about someone else handling it.

TIA. ;]

SSBD

Hola
I'm a college student...:bouncegre Um...actually its quite easy for me to keep up with my regimen. It's all about time management. U will have more free time than you thank, so it all depends on what you involve yourself in and how much you study and go out and all that stuff. And you will have to study a whole lot more, i didn't believe that at first, but it's true. Anyway like i said if you make it part of your schedule than you will be fine. Just be sure to stay on schedule because it is so easy to get lazy and procastenate in college...waaay more than in college because nobody tells u what u have to do and it's not a strict schedule that everyone follows and every min of your time is not planned out, so you have to do that yourself. Sorry if this is coming off as a lecture, but i just want to warn you so you don't make the same mistake i and a lot of others have made.

Good luck and have fun at Howard...I have friends there...i wanted to go there, but my mother was not ready for her only child to move out of state, so have fun u will really enjoy college life.:D

Mortons

Hello :wave: I'm a college student in Atlanta. I find its pretty easy to keep up with my regimine while in college. I usually do my hair on Saturday night or Sunday after church and its not that bad. I wash, deep condition, and rollerset while doing homework. Its not bad at all as long as you keep it simple.

ashiah

If anything, you'll find yourself having more time in college. (At least, that's what it was like for me.) I'm excluding finals week, of course.

theAlist

Glamourous said:
Hello :wave: I'm a college student in Atlanta. I find its pretty easy to keep up with my regimine while in college. I usually do my hair on Saturday night or Sunday after church and its not that bad. I wash, deep condition, and rollerset while doing homework. Its not bad at all as long as you keep it simple.

Hey Glamourous, what college do you attend in ATL???

I am in my sophomore year and this year was a lot easier than last year. This year I have gone on the "less means more" regimen. I am natural so I basically wash and go, deep condition every now and then, twist my hair every night and then I am good to go. You have to find something that works for you...my freshman year was a trial and error, but I soon found out what really worked for me. HTH.

ladylibra

me, but i'm in Indiana and i'm a non-traditional student...

when i 1st went off to college as a freshman in 2001 :look: i found i had a LOT of time on my hands (spent a lot of it partying instead of studying... :perplexed )

the main thing is planning your time. i'm pretty good at that now. set a time, a day, whatever you have to do just for your hair. of course you can make exceptions every now and then, but for the most part stick to your schedule. you'll see the best results that way, and that translates to other things as well - class, study times, working out, and yes even partying cuz you can't be all work and no play! :grin:

God's Anointed

I'm a college student at Gator county ( UF...:D ) and I basically just do my hair on Sat or Sun after church. I airdry so usually at that time i'm also i'm also doing homework and other chores i need to do. It's not too hectic if you learn to plan things according to your schedule.

sxyhairfetish

I am a college student here @ Virginia State University and its not hard at all to keep up with my regimen. We have a beauty supply store here that us college students constantly RAID so i constantly stock up on my staple products. I wash my hair every wednesday this semester because I have swimming on wednesdays. Others see it as alot of work but, you get used to it after awhile. I've been schooling my roommate on growing her hair, and she has been listening lol very pleased also. She still has some bad habits she needs to let go of but, she's working on it. She used to perm her hair every 6 weeks but now she's perming every 16 weeks! Its fun when you get others in on it that will actully follow your advice.

cocopuff

eunique said:
Howdy! I was just wondering if there are / how many college students are on LHCF, because I start at Howard this fall and I'm just worried about being able to keep up my regimen w/all the extra work. I pretty much have tons of free time right now to obsess over my hair but I know it won't be that way come August. So my questions are ...

How do you keep up with your regimen? Do you have a set day for taking care of your tresses?

Also, if you're in the DC area do you have a stylist recommendation? haha. I'm sooooo afraid of letting someone besides my mom do my hair. She's a stylist and has been doing it since forever and she takes care of it and stuff so I'm spooked about someone else handling it.

TIA. ;]

Hi

I am attending Howard right now and there are a few beauty supply stores right in the neighborhood (I even have a couple favorite beauty supply stores that I frequent). As for stylists, there are several salons that the students frequent but I am natural and I go to a salon in Temple Hills to get my hair done. Otherwise, I am sure you will be able to find a salon to go to.

Last edited:

bellesocialite

I'm not of much help but I'll be going to college too in the fall(!) I got accepted to Howard also :)
I am interested in seeing how everyone's regimens work out for them in college because I have a regimen that works for me but I doubt I can lug all my products/tools to a tiny dorm room, lol. I'm even planning my relaxer touch-ups to coincide with when I'm coming home to visit because I am so not letting anyone touch my hair because I only let my mom do my hair when it comes to relaxers.

BTW, eunique, I LOVE your signature. I am falling in love with GCH.

Missi

Hey, I am a freshman at Stockton College and I find it easy to care for my hair.....doing the baggie method will become ur best friend. I wash my hair twice a week. I wash my hair in the afternoon or whenever my classes are done and let my hair air-dry while I study.
I'll find it pretty easy to maintain ur hair schedule. The most u'll spend out of your dorm room on average (besides eating, partying, etc) is just 3 hrs. 2 classes a day, but I put nothing before my hair. Not even a party.

cutiebe2

Hey! I start college in Boston this fall and I had some of the same questions you did. I know time won't be an issue but I do worry about money!!! I already know I will be a broke college student so I want to make sure I find the cheapest ways to keep my hair growing and healthy!

Missi

money won't be an issue if you stay away from credit cards....se if your colleges have work-studies......where you can work in offices and stuff (housing :if someone gets locked out, library, or answering telephones) anyways I took out an extra $500 in my student loan so the extra money comes back to me in a check.:)

P.S. IF ANY LADIES ARE INTERESTED IN GOING "GREEK" CHECK OUT THE LOVELY LADIES OF ZETA PHI BETA sorority, inc.

Candy_C

me!

i have trouble @ the moment, stupid me has a visa! but i neeeeeeeeeed it, otherwise i cant purchase online

the limit is like £400

(around $800)

i'm cutting it up soon!

but i have trouble buying keracare this time of year, as my big bottle runs out every 9 months

:(

gymfreak336

I am a college student and I normally don't have issues with time. When I do have a busy week like during finals or what not, I will wash in the morning before class and cover with conditioner. I put on a plastic cap and wrap my hair up with a scarf and throw on some shades so it looks like I did it on purpose. When I get done for the day I will just finish my hair up when I go home.

starfish79

I'm in college and working...both full time. :spinning: I've definitely taken a lees is more attitude toward my regimine. I usually do my weekly dc's while studying or doing homework on the weekend. I'm on a no heat regimine so I co-wash daily and bun. I think it's all about budgeting your time.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I'm going to be going into my 3rd year of school in the fall and I've never had trouble keeping up my regimen (once I finally found one). I CWC twice a week and moisturize everyday. I always do my hair first thing in the morning or the last thing at night.

The only thing I would recommend is finding a very good clarifying or chelating shampoo since most college dorm showers have hard water.

GoingNatural

eunique said:

TIA. ;]

Congrats on going to Howard! I just graduated in May 2006 (I'm mad Oprah didn't speak at my commencement!) www.locshairstudio.com is great. I used to go to Susan the former owner but i haven't been since I went natural. I heard that she got married and sold the shop. Angela and Dyke were great hairstylists as well. There are on Georgia Ave in Silver Spring

GoingNatural

bellesocialite said:
I'm not of much help but I'll be going to college too in the fall(!) I got accepted to Howard also :)
I am interested in seeing how everyone's regimens work out for them in college because I have a regimen that works for me but I doubt I can lug all my products/tools to a tiny dorm room, lol. I'm even planning my relaxer touch-ups to coincide with when I'm coming home to visit because I am so not letting anyone touch my hair because I only let my mom do my hair when it comes to relaxers.

BTW, eunique, I LOVE your signature. I am falling in love with GCH.

congrats on Howard to you as well!

GoingNatural

cocopuff said:
Hi

I am attending Howard right now and there are a few beauty supply stores right in the neighborhood (I even have a couple favorite beauty supply stores that I frequent). As for stylists, there are several salons that the students frequent but I am natural and I go to a salon in Temple Hills to get my hair done. Otherwise, I am sure you will be able to find a salon to go to.

I might have to visit that salon once I get my hair where I want it to be. I need to find someone that can TRIM natural hair, I doubt I'd want much else. I LOVE seeing Howard students on the board :)

aurora3140

Hi there :wave:! I'm a junior at DePauw University in Indiana. I usually do my hair on Tuesday or Thursday (I scheduled my classes so that those days are free), but sometimes my studies get a little hectic and I have to be creative with my hair routine, but I find it's a little easier now that I'm in school to find time to do my hair. Unfortunately, my hooded dryer recently shorted out, so I've been experimenting with no-heat styles until I can have it fixed or buy a replacement.

I don't live far from my hometown (Greencastle is only about an hour from Indianapolis), so I buy most all of my hair products when I'm home. I also have the luxury of having a grandmother who is a beautician, so she does my touch-ups and she can get me products I can't buy on my own.

Last edited:

Str8~Curly

I am a graduate student. You have time for whatever you make time for. Be creative, for example, wash during a study break and deep condition with a baggie while you study. When I was an undergraduate I even went to class with my conditioning cap on with a scarf over it. But, I don’t know about doing that at Howard, heard it’s a fashion show there. :lol:

cocopuff

GoingNatural said:
I might have to visit that salon once I get my hair where I want it to be. I need to find someone that can TRIM natural hair, I doubt I'd want much else. I LOVE seeing Howard students on the board :)

The stylist who does my hair (twist extensions) knows how to trim natural hair but she always tells me that I don't need a trim because my hair is healthy. I ask her about it every once in a while just to make sure.

cocopuff

Sar-I said:
I am a graduate student. You have time for whatever you make time for. Be creative, for example, wash during a study break and deep condition with a baggie while you study. When I was an undergraduate I even went to class with my conditioning cap on with a scarf over it. But, I don’t know about doing that at Howard, heard it’s a fashion show there. :lol:

Yes it is a fashion show here but I do see my share of head scarves at 8 in the morning.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
ME! I'm a junior now. I discovered LHCF my freshmen year and even though I couldn't afford to try every product, I changed my regimen and found products that worked for me.

chayil0427

MEEEEE. It's my senior year! But I'll still be in dis ho for a while.

As far as keeping up your reggie u just gotta make yourself do it. Gotta make yourself moisturized and cover your hair before falling into bed at night. Gotta work time into your schedule for deep conditioning and washing. Just think of it as homework...gotta take care of your hair.

Also BUDGET so you can afford all your hair needs, and considering using advice from the forum to do some of your own "services". I'm learning to self relax...I do my own color...my own aphogee...my own deep conditionings. Invest in a hood dryer...u'll save money in the long run, and stay on the forum for tips and tricks from your hair idols. Lots of the girls on here have gorgeous long hair and they hook it up themselves which can save a poor student money (and keep you away from scissor happy stylists). Also stay on the good beauty supply websites or find one in town to get what you need to hook your stuff up.

Last but not least don't be up on the forum 5 minutes before class like I am...gotta run LOL.:look:

Chayil

CaramelPrincezz

I'm a sophomore in college in Florida at FAMU. I wash my hair on Wednesday's and Saturdays and let it airdry overnight because I dont have classes on Thursday's this semester. It's only hard for me now because I'm stretching and after 8 weeks, i have a lot of new growth to deal with. I'm thinking about self-relaxing when my stretch is over because these shops down here charge too much for me. I've only been twice to get relaxers when I was a freshman. I'm going on 15 weeks this saturday and its a jungle in there with my 4a/b. But anyways, theres a BSS in walking distance from my apartment so I get products from there and there is a Walgreens across the street. I'm always tryin to buy cheap so dont be afraid to hit up Dollar General and other dollar stores cuz they have a lot of the same products for cheap. Good luck @ Howard.:)