College Students and haircare??

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'm in Ecuador for summer school. When I left home I was still new to being natural and didnt bring much product. Since I've been here I have tried the sedal products for curly hair (green bottle) and love them. I wear my hair in a ponytail everyday (high, low, center, etc). I can't wait until I can bun it!

Well, I'm not in summer school but fall semester is approaching way too fast for me. This year, I'm going to be organized, I'm going to have a set of products for home and a set for school so that I don't have to keep luggin stuff back and forth.

I recently promised myself that I'm gonna rock heat free styles like twists, twist outs, and braidouts. :grin:

danimani

I'm starting my junior year in the fall and I'm going to continue to stick with my regiman that I have now. Thankfully I'm living in a house with 7 suitemates, so I have full access to a real bathroom, etc.

MissFallon

For my first two years of college I lived on campus and even back then had a hair obsession.Every week I would wash, deep condition with ORS hair mayo, then rollerset it and let it airdry (had no way to get my hooded dryer on the greyhound I took to get to school). I did this for two years and my hair was really healthy. Since I only went home for Thanksgiving, Xmas, and Spring Break I rarely relaxed my hair. I always relaxed my hair b4 my bday in September so Thanksgiving & Xmas were'nt times for touch-ups. I would most of the time get a touch up in April during Spring Break from September. When I moved back home I did the same regimen but sat under the dryer twice a month. I always wore my hair down and it still seemd to grow. I put my first color in my hair when I was about to turn 20 and got addicted to color after that. I put 3 permanent colors in my hair during 2004:eek: I last colored my hair Dec 2004 with a perm color. My regimen has always been pretty much the same. When I was 18 I learned how to rollerset (because my sister would refuse to roll my hair and it was too hot for the blowdryer). I guess I stumbled upon a good regimen. In high school I would do the dominican blowout on my hair every week.

CarLiTa

College ladies, if you live in colder state, is airdrying still okay to do?

and if you go to a predominantly white school, in a predominantly white town, how do you fare?

caribeandiva

Human being
hey gurl, i'm in college too and it is hard to care for hair while enrolled full-time. i do go to class everyday in a ponytail (i'm too lazy to try anything else). as for my regime, i try to keep it simple. the most important thing to me is deep-conditioning biweekly. once i do that everything else is just icing on the cake.

dreysonsmommy2011

Well this is my senior year in college(Thank God!) and I am so glad that I am on the hide your hair until Christmas challenge. I think that this will make it a whole lot easier for me to take care of my hair. I will wear braids from here on out until December and In between braids I will wear my hair fall or a phony bun simple as that. These styles are my get up and go to class styles:lol:

asubeauty

I will be starting my senior year in the fall... :yay: All I've done is rollerset, oil my scalp while my hair is damp, and sit under the dryer with low heat (I have an Ion Hard Bonnet, and it gets HOT!!). I then spray with oil sheen and wrap. I might wear it down, but even if I do, it usually gets pinned up anyway. When it gets close to touch up time, I just wear a bun that I tie up at night (no combing!!) I get touch ups at the salon because I don't trust dorm beauticians with chemicals...:look: but I will get rod sets or twistouts occasionally.

My techniques have been the same, but my products haven't. My freshman year, I had Doo Gro. Sophomore year, I was on CON, and Motions Moisture plus (or something like that) condish, but I started getting buildup and had to get watered down Suave to clarify.

Right now I'm using:
*NTM Cream Lather Shampoo
*NTM Daily Deep Conditioner
*NTM Silk Touch Leave In
*EQP Design Foam (for my rollersets)
*Bath and Body Works Botanical Nutrients Wheat Bran Patchouli Shampoo
*BBW Bot Nutrients Wheat Bran Patchouli Condish
(These have wheat protien...I'm using them for a light protien, but I think they have been discontinued or something. I've been thinking of replacing them with Keraphix, but IDK)
*EQP Scalp Stimulating Poo (I use this to clarify, but IDK if it's actually a clarifying shampoo)
*ORS Replenishing Pak (for Deep Conditioning)
*Apoghee (the stinky stuff - for heavy protien)
*Doo Gro Anti Itch Growth Oil (or something like that... it's green)
*EQP Mango Butter (to hold those edges down!)
*Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer Oil Sheen Spray (it's really light and has a sunscreen. I don't use this daily, tho.)

UmSumayyah

My advice (not in college anymore)
Is to buy distilled water for your final rinses. My dorm had horribly hard, over-chlorinated water that did a number on everyone's hair.