College Ladies

ashmack

Ladies in college, or on a SERIOUS budget, how do you manage to upkeep your hair? I find that its hard for me to find the time and money to go to a stylist often. I currently only go once a month. In between times I don't always have the time to do my hair. Straightening my hair is basically out of the picture since it can be an all day event. How do you care for your hair on a daily basis? What products are you willing to invest in? How long do you go between washes? Basically I just want to know how you are able to keep your hair healthy, growing and looking nice throughout the school year while budgeting your time and money. TIA.

I used to just do my own hair to save money. I wore a lotta weaves and wigs. I tried the braid thing my freshman year but they pulled my hair out really bad.

Last edited:
ashmack said:
Ladies in college, or on a SERIOUS budget, how do you manage to upkeep your hair? I find that its hard for me to find the time and money to go to a stylist often. I currently only go once a month. In between times I don't always have the time to do my hair. Straightening my hair is basically out of the picture since it can be an all day event. How do you care for your hair on a daily basis? What products are you willing to invest in? How long do you go between washes? Basically I just want to know how you are able to keep your hair healthy, growing and looking nice throughout the school year while budgeting your time and money. TIA.

Fellow college student checking it
Well, as far as products were concerned, I try to stick with affordable things. I also buy alot when I see a good deal. I went to dollar general the other day and got a TON of good stuff for around 20 bucks. That stuff should last 2-3 months. I would also spend the most money on the things that would be on my head the longest. For example, I will buy an cheap shampoo before I buy a cheap staple conditioner. Elasta qp makes some pretty good shampoos that are concentrated and only cost around 2-3 bucks. I would then take the money I saved from things like that and use it on the products that cost more money and had no equal substitute. Also buy products from places that let you return things so you don't waste money. Sallys has tons of sample packs so utilize that too before you invest in anything. If you wanted to experiment with vitamins, it doesn't have to break the bank either. One of the most affordable hair vitamin cocktails is a multi-vitamin and a b-complex. I would make sure I ate tuna a couple of times a week to get some essential fatty acids and extra protein.
For styling, try cross wrapping to give you an easy way to protect your hair at night and make day to day styling easier. I go around 4 days to a week between washes but I multi-task when I do my hair. When I am pre-pooing, I run errands or clean up. If I am running errands I slick my back, cover with a little plastic wrap, cover with a cute scarf and put on a baseball cap. I throw on a cute t-shirt and jeans and it looks like I am doing the sporty relaxed look. While I am deep conditioning, I apply a face mask and use the 20-30minutes reading or going over notes for a test, quiz, or assignment. I do the same thing under the dryer. I have typed many papers while waiting for my hair to dry.

I'm not in college, but I am on a budget. I've always done my own hair. Usually I co-wash, DC, leave-in, seal with oil, pull it back and braid it in one braid. I pin the braid up with different hair toys and that's it. Unless I'm going to something special, my routine is very simple.

I shop at the cheapest stores I can find, Wal-Mart, Kmart, Target, Dollar Store, Dollar Tree, etc. When I receive extra/unexpected funds, then I try out products that I've read about on lhcf that I want to try. There's enough in my budget for one treat a month. Sometimes I save up for a couple of months.

Last edited:
I just graduated from law school last year, and I started doing my own hair when I went to college. The good salons were extremely too expensive for my college budget. I'm all about cheap products! I've tried more expensive products, but I really didn't see that much of a difference. (Others may disagree, but that was my experience.)

Time- My hair takes forever to dry! I have my laptop in my lap or a book while I'm under the dryer. When I was in undergrad, I always rollerset and wrapped it up at night before I went to bed. The next morning, I would run a flat iron through it to make sure it wasn't puffy. I probably did that like every 2 weeks. I went natural in law school, and that complicated my straightening process a little, but I still rollerset it at night (after a deep conditioner of course) flat iron it, then wrap it up and go to bed. If it's really late, I sometimes flat iron it the next morning.

Basically, I just studied/read/typed while my hair dried, and I bought mostly inexpensive products.

HI! Im in grad school but on a budget too.

You know the funny thing is...you really dont need a lot of money to take care of your hair. I think its just decent products and good techniques:)

If you want expensive products, I asked for them over xmas or birthday. If I wanted cheap products, I would use good old fashioned CON and Domincan conditioners or Elasta. Also I like the AT ONE line. All good cheap buys and they tend to come in bigger sizes so you can stretch those dollars:)

I saved SOOOOOOOOO much money by doing my own hair and I can do it on my own time. I rollerwrap once a week and thats it. 3 hour total including deep conditioning. I also do all my reading and homework under the dryer.

Undergrad here! I started transitioning to natural my freshmen year and didn't trust any stylist in my small college town. Now as a curly, upkeep has been really easy. I workout everday so daily rinses/cowashes are a must. I wash and go or pull into a ponytail and I'm set. The products I'm using are NOT expensive. I found them all at Wal-Mart through trial and error.

Well, I do my own hair, that alone will save you alot of money!!! I just use the $$$ that I earn from braiding hair on the side to buy my goodies. Plus I shop on sale...I love Sally's. Here's a tip, when you go to the BSS, check all the prices. I wen't to a BSS looking for Fantasia Anti-Frizz. On one side of the store it was $6.99 but on the other shelf, the exact same thing was $2.99. I bought enough to last me well over a year!!

Thanks ladies for ALL of your responses. What Im getting is that I can use cheaper products and still have healthy hair. That's great because I'm all about cheapies!!! I REALLY need to learn how to roller wrap and invest in a nice dryer. I think this will help a lot. I usually go to the salon just to get my hair roller wrapped anyway. All of you ladies have such beautiful hair, I have hope now that it's possible for me to have nice hair, even though I don't have much time or money. Thanks!

DivaStyle said:
I just graduated from law school last year, and I started doing my own hair when I went to college. The good salons were extremely too expensive for my college budget. I'm all about cheap products! I've tried more expensive products, but I really didn't see that much of a difference. (Others may disagree, but that was my experience.)

Time- My hair takes forever to dry! I have my laptop in my lap or a book while I'm under the dryer. When I was in undergrad, I always rollerset and wrapped it up at night before I went to bed. The next morning, I would run a flat iron through it to make sure it wasn't puffy. I probably did that like every 2 weeks. I went natural in law school, and that complicated my straightening process a little, but I still rollerset it at night (after a deep conditioner of course) flat iron it, then wrap it up and go to bed. If it's really late, I sometimes flat iron it the next morning.

Basically, I just studied/read/typed while my hair dried, and I bought mostly inexpensive products.

We have a lot in common. I'm in law school as well and just started transitioning last year when I entered law school. I'm sure you know better than anyone how much I lack mainly time. Congrats on your graduation and all of your accompishments.:clapping: Your hair is gorgeous and if I could somehow manage to make mine look half that great i'd be so happy.

I just do my own hair. The is no way that i can afford to get it done on a college student's/ single parent budget.. i get cheap stuff( no phyto for me) and do it myself...

prettypuff1 said:
I just do my own hair. The is no way that i can afford to get it done on a college student's/ single parent budget.. i get cheap stuff( no phyto for me) and do it myself...

girl you are just too cute in your picture!

ashmack said:
We have a lot in common. I'm in law school as well and just started transitioning last year when I entered law school. I'm sure you know better than anyone how much I lack mainly time. Congrats on your graduation and all of your accompishments.:clapping: Your hair is gorgeous and if I could somehow manage to make mine look half that great i'd be so happy.

Awwwhhh thanks!
I briefed many cases while sitting under the dryer! Good Luck to you!

I went natural....i ended up saving at least 200 bucks for retouches and salon services. I didnt go natural because of that reason BUT that was a bonus :yep:

Ayeshia said:
I went natural....i ended up saving at least 200 bucks for retouches and salon services. I didnt go natural because of that reason BUT that was a bonus :yep:

If my hair could look as beautiful as yours natural i would do that too! I'm scared to actually find out the hair God gave me.

Hey there girl! I'm in college and I kinda feel the same way you feel. Trying to take care of and grow out your hair is something that takes a lot of time, discipline, and MONEY. However, I've noticed growth (not as substantially as others) but it has come from me washing my hair about once or week (or often as possible) and doing as little maintenance to it as possible. I'm a product junkie (I'll buy a product just to try it if I have $10 to spare), but I have found many of my staple products already.

Just try to do the best that you can do while you're in college and on a budget. That way although you may not get the maximum amount of hair growth you hair will still be growing. People will notice it and that's always a plus. BTW, what college do you attend and are you on Facebook?

Take care...Lisa

I dont go to stylist anymore except for special occassions like homecoming. I use the ORS line and Africas best a lot. I dont use expensive products, except some Keracare. I used to do my hair at night, the night before I have the class that begins the latest so I would have time to stay up all night. Now that I have my hair down to a routine that doesnt take to long (and I still flat iron!) I do my hair on certain days. I do my homework under the dryer most of the time and while I flat iron my hair I go over some things with my roommate. My hair is a lot healthier and I enjoy taking care of it.

I am not in college, but I will be and I am on a budget as well. I have found that expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. There are many ladies on here who have used expensive products that don't work and vice versa. I would say take advantage of sales and any kind of deal you can get. Sallys, Target, Walmart, etc. are your friends. I just picked up 5 bottles of con for cowashes at the dollar store. They sell many brands of V05 in the huge 50% more free bottles. I think things get easier when you get a good regimen and find your staples. That way, you aren't wasting money by trying out a whole bunch of things. Actually, a lot of the things that I did not like on their own worked well when mixed together with other products. The generally consensus on the board seems to be that conditioner, whether deep or instant, are the most important products, and those can be found for dirt cheap prices. If you work during the summer, you should definitely try to stockpile on your HGs so your won't have to worry about them during the school year. I, too, have saved $1000 or more by not getting my hair done in the salon. I wash my hair twice a week and rollerset, so figure $40x8x12 =:eek: :eek: Even more money!!! Just find what works for you, stick with it, and you will be fine.

ETA: I just read where you said that you wanted to learn how to roller wrap, OP. To be honest I rollerset my hair twice a week but I never learned the correct way of doing it. I cheat and use the magnetic rollers with the cap. If you use those you will get the hang of it. I guess all you need to learn how to do is part and section correctly and you'll be fine. A lot of members of picture tutorials that should help. HTH

Last edited:
I am not in college, however, I graduated law school Dec. 2005 and so therefore, I am still on a serious BUDGET! Doing my hair at home has really helped tremendously. In fact, my hair is the healthiest its been since my childhood (and I grew up in a beauty salon with my mom and two sisters who are stylists). Stylist are taught to style hair, very few truly know how to care for the hair.

For me, in the beginning I wore braids. I switched it every 3-5 weeks for about 4 months. Then I wore a natural teeny weeny afro under a wig for about 7-8 months. Then I relaxed after a year of being natural.

From that point on Co Washes have been great to me. Airdrying has also been essential. Before my hair could fit into a bun, I airdried and then used Caruso Steam Rollers to style. I would also sit under the dryer to dry my hair wrap, and then set with the Carusos.

Once it grew long enough for a bun...I have been wearing buns with the scarf method. The scarf helps flatten new growth and gives me a neat look on a daily basis. Moisturizing twice daily and sealing it with oil helps keep the hair hydrated and looking neat. Co washes help soften the new growth, thicken hair, and keep it hydrated (moreso than any stylist can do).

The passed few months, I have been rollersetting with magnetic rollers and I LOVE it. I am getting better at acheiving salon chic results at home. My hair is fuller and it is much healthier. So, I do not think I need to ever go to a salon ever again.

Thanks so much for all of your responses. You give me hope that I can do this. I recently went out and bought some magnetic rollers and I "stole" my mother's standing hooded dryer from home.:eek: (Man was it hard to fit that thing in my little saturn:D ) I plan on trying my first roller set in 2 weeks since I just got my hair done this week. Good luck in school everyone! Maybe there should be a college ladies support thread....:scratchch

I'll be starting grad school in a few weeks so I'm still on a budget..I manage my own hair, rarely going to the salon unless it's for a special event (Founder's Day, Homecoming, etc...)

I wear micro braids often when I want to take a break from styling for a month or so. I wore a fall (quick weave) all last summer and my hair really grew. I am going to try this again this summer and co wash at least 2x per week. Since joining LHCF I have learned many new techniques and I am going to incorporate those. Rollersetting has been my best friend:D

Back