Anti-Perm: Am I the only one?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I am not anti-perm or anti-straightening. If you buy a relaxer or pressing comb and let it sit in a closet or drawer, nothing evil is going to happen.

However, when these things are put in uneducated hands and used to style hair, they sometimes can have devestating consequences.

Dee-Licious

sylver2 said:

GIRL... you just made me SCREAM!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

KiniKakes

sareca said:
I never realized how much black women use this subject to divide us until I came here. This is simply a modern iteration of the light-skinned versus dark-skinned thing. It makes me sad. :(

I concur.

And I wonder why we are revisiting a topic from 2003? :confused: Kinda unfair for the OP to have to defend this all over again.............

Last edited:

Jaizee

Whoa, I didn't realize how old this thread was! I honestly don't think that this thead was bumped up just to get MoT's regimen. Too much of a coincidence.....

LocksOfLuV

Jaizee said:
Whoa, I didn't realize how old this thread was! I honestly don't think that this thead was bumped up just to get MoT's regimen. Too much of a coincidence.....

Exactly, that's what we have PMing for...

Whatever!:rolleyes:

Sistaslick

Bunny77 said:
What I find interesting is that the "bumper" wasn't even active in the other thread...

I don't know. Something tells me that the Bumpette was active as in quietly clicking and grinning in the security of lurkdom in the sister thread :sekret: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jaizee

Sistaslick said:
I don't know. Something tells me that the Bumpette was active as in quietly clicking and grinning in the security of lurkdom in the sister thread :sekret: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I have a feeling that you're right. ;)

StrawberryQueen

nvybeauty said:
this is yet another thread on this board that just saddens me....as someone else said, the divide on this board is way larger than it has to be. why would the OP even start this ish is beyond me.... to ask a forum with so many relaxed heads if anyone else is anti-perm....and then for someone else to dig this out of the gutter years later......:ohwell:
You should not be surprised at EITHER of them girl. :lol:

sugarose

sareca said:
My mother raised me to believe relaxed or natural is nothing but a hairstyle. Either it suits you or it doesn't. Personally, I think there are real evils in the world and what you do with your hair isn't one of them.

I never realized how much black women use this subject to divide us until I came here. This is simply a modern iteration of the light-skinned versus dark-skinned thing. It makes me sad. :(

I agree. I never realized the extent of some peoples issues regarding our hair (and skin) until I found the hair boards. I've never had hair or skin color issues. Thank God for my Mother who made sure I didnt.

JazzyDez

missann said:
I think the "convenient time" comment refers to another recent thread lamenting the difficulty of our hair and its care.

thank you. :D

I guess I could have worded myself better.

Jaizee

Like a lot of you, I never knew that black women were divided by what they chose to do with their hair. The ONLY time I think that relaxers are evil is when the person has permanent scarring on their scalp as a result of relaxing, like my mom does. I don't see a lot of women here saying things like, "Damn, I hate my newgrowth, I wish I didn't have this nappy ish!" If you're relaxed and have healthy hair and love it, great. If you're natural and have healthy hair and love it, great. That's basically how I feel about this issue.

*Happily Me*

i was going to post but what the hell... i don't see a division of permies vs nappies on the board at all. sure, each side may have an opinion, but i don't think it's that serious.

for the record, i am permed.

i do not think perms are evil, but i wish many of us did not think it was necessary to slap a perm in our heads as soon as we see a budding nap. i'm not talking about the enlightened women here - the ones who know the importance of stretching past 4 weeks. I'm talking about those lost heads who have not found their way to LHCF yet.

ThursdayGirl

missann said:
I think the "convenient time" comment refers to another recent thread lamenting the difficulty of our hair and its care.

I saw that thread, now. Thanks. Its a behemoth.

I dunno if that's why the thread was bumped, but I really think its because Muse has a nice head of hair. If you look at Plenty's thread from two days ago, she's interested in transitioning using pressing. Muse of Troy must press if she's not relaxing. Plenty obviously saw Muse's avatar and decided to ask her about her regime and I agree. I hope Muse will share her regime.

I really don't think anything malicious was meant by bumping this.

Maybe starting a new thread would've been better or a pm, but I doubt she really thought of it. Heck I would not have thought about the furor this would cause either.

Not everybody is trying to start something all the time guys :) .

lovegan

MuseofTroy said:
I noticed that a lot ladies with beautiful hair on thesee boards have perms. I was so shocked because my mother raised me to believe that perms are evils and they destroy our hair. Ladies with nice hair don't have perms etc...I didn't doubt my mother because she has long healthy thick 3c/4a hair down to her back. Personally I've never had a perm,and don't plan to get one. But I was wondering what made you guys decide to get perms? Did you have to experiment before finding the right one for your hair? Do you have any horror stories concerning perms? I'm extremely paranoid for anyone getting a perm for the first time because I've seen what happens if it isn't done right.

Personally, I got a relaxer for managability. I never had one until I was about 16, and my hair never fell out or broke off.

I've never had a bad experience...now...highlights...that's another story. ....:ohwell:

Bunny77

ThursdayGirl said:
I saw that thread, now. Thanks. Its a behemoth.

I dunno if that's why the thread was bumped, but I really think its because Muse has a nice head of hair. If you look at Plenty's thread from two days ago, she's interested in transitioning using pressing. Muse of Troy must press if she's not relaxing. Plenty obviously saw Muse's avatar and decided to ask her about her regime and I agree. I hope Muse will share her regime.

I really don't think anything malicious was meant by bumping this.

Maybe starting a new thread would've been better or a pm, but I doubt she really thought of it. Heck I would not have thought about the furor this would cause either.

Not everybody is trying to start something all the time guys :) .

Thursday, thanks for that post... maybe Plenty wasn't trying to do anything malicious.

And also, I think this does reiterate the point that I was trying to make in one post... the whole thing didn't seem to be this big relaxed vs. natural war folks are making it out to be... the debate was about perm vs. straightening without a perm!!!

Now, yes, I too thought that there was a malicious intent in bumping this thread, but it appears that I might be wrong. Whether or not that's the case, I don't know, but I do wonder why folks back in 2003 and folks in 2007 automatically started to take it personal or thought the OP was trying to start something when she said she was "anti-perm."

For the record, I'm anti-perm. But guess what? All that means is that I'm anti-perm for ME because perms break off my hair. If I ever straighten again, I'm gonna press or just get Dominican blowouts all the time. It has nothing to do with looking down on anyone who perms or thinking I'm superior because I'm natural. I just don't like what perms do to my hair, and there are many people who feel that way... some of whom will never wear natural hair in their lives!

Of course, that's me! If the pro-perm people want to buy stock in Motions, that's all good too! :)

Maybe.... just maybe... we should not automatically assume that natural folks wanna start **** with straightened folks and vice versa on this board.

Oh and the term "evil" sounds like just an expression in this case... heck, I've called homework, school, my boss, the New England Patriots and chocolate "evil." None of these things are "evil," (well, maybe just my boss!) it's just an expression that most of us have used at some time or another to exaggerate... like it sounds like Muse was doing in this thread.

facets

Sistaslick said:

LOL! @ clickin'-and-a-grinnin' :rofl:

FTR, my personal style & hair is pretty much anti-relaxer(and anti-permanent hair color..esp Feria) but different methods work for different ppl. i don't think all 'laxies are unhealthy or brainwashed self-haters.

it's quite inspiring to see so many women handling relaxed hair well & beautifully. I just don't know if i've got it like that. i feel like i'd have to get a new wardrobe or somthin' too.:lol: