Animal Testing: Does it matter to you?

Does animal testing matter to you?

• I consider rather my products are tested on animals.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I do not consider rather my products are tested on animals.

Votes: 43 64.2%

• Total voters

caribeandiva

Human being
i refuse to buy from companies who test their products on animals. if i don't know then that's a different thing but if i do know i do a conscious effort to avoid them.

Last edited:

chayil0427

caribeandiva said:
i refuse to buy from companies who test their products on animals. if i don't that's a different thing but if i do know i do a conscious effort to avoid them.

I know Nexxus and Kenra are not tested on animals, but I don't know about Kera Care which I use. Mizani is made by L'Oreal and as far as I know L'Oreal tests on animals, but I'm not sure they test their Mizani line on animals. It really matters to me. I encourage people to check out the list on companies on www.caringconsumer.com and see if they use products tested on animals.

It can be difficult with ethinic hair products however, because they're often made by larger companies ... like L'Oreal makes Mizani. It's unknown sometimes if subsidiaries are testing on animals, but many refuse to use products from any company or their subsidiaries which test on animals.

Chayil

Last edited:

MizaniMami

I would feel stupid refusing to use products being tested on animals yet I will tear up some meat in a heartbeat.

Seems kinda backwards to me. It's the same thing in my eyes. Therefore I chose option 2.

glamazon386

MizaniMami said:
I would feel stupid refusing to use products being tested on animals yet I will tear up some meat in a heartbeat.

Seems kinda backwards to me. It's the same thing in my eyes. Therefore I chose option 2.

I agree... How can there be any more torture to an animal than us killing and eating it? Testing products on them is nowhere near as bad.

sareca

I look for "no animal testing" on the label, but I don't always put it back if it doesn't say. :( I think of testing as torture. If you're going to kill me anyway, don't torture me first.

Last edited:

Keen

MizaniMami said:

Right on.:perplexed

senimoni

Actually I'd prefer something that WAS tested on an animal before they test it on me....but that wasn't an option. Animal testing doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Princess Pie

MizaniMami said:

ITA. Plus, I love leather and fur, so I try not to think about the animals.:ohwell:

Neroli

MizaniMami said:

ITA. I am a complete carnivoire and LOVE me some meat! Plus, IMO, animal testing is one of those "unpleasant necessities" that has allowed for huge advancement and quality of life for modern man, especially in terms of medical science (I guess cosmetics and haircare not quite the same level as medinces, but . . . ) We just wouldn't be where we are nor can we continue to progress without it. I voted option 2.

KiniKakes

The thought doesnt cross my mind.... and it wouldnt make a difference to me one way or the other. Im not bothered by the idea of animal-testing at all.....

I know that sounds cold-blooded..... but just being honest.

KiniKakes

Neroli said:
ITA. I am a complete carnivoire and LOVE me some meat! Plus, IMO, animal testing is one of those "unpleasant necessities" that has allowed for huge advancement and quality of life for modern man, especially in terms of medical science (I guess cosmetics and haircare not quite the same level as medinces, but . . . ) We just wouldn't be where we are nor can we continue to progress without it. I voted option 2.

Very good points!

MizaniMami

Another thing is that I really don't mind animal testing. As a matter of fact I would prefer for the product to be tested (especially if it has hard ingredients/chemicals) before I use it.

I would rather a real life ginuea pig be used than me. My life is a lot more sacred than a pig's per say. A lot of people think of the worse of animal testing but it has also helped us. Can you imagine all the products that weren't even safe for the animals that they were trying to get on the shelves?

MizaniMami

Neroli said:

LOL! Okay, I love some bar-b-que.

Shoot, I bet people don't mind using those animal proteins/fatty acids that their hair loves.:lol:

seeminglysweet

I dont think about it at all. If I notice that a product is not tested on animals its a plus but like others have said I eat meat, I wear leather and fur. I love animals, I am the biggest animal lover I know, but I think of things in terms of needs, and my needs come before an animals needs-whether it be a frivilous hair product or a 5 course meal.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
KiniKakes said:
The thought doesnt cross my mind.... and it wouldnt make a difference to me one way or the other. Im not bothered by the idea of animal-testing at all.....

I know that sounds cold-blooded..... but just being honest.

I share the same feelings about it as you.

Queenie

I never look. All pharmaceuticals are tested on animals and household cleaners. I'd rather have the rat die than me.

nikkivale

when i'm choosing a product i never even think about it, like some others posted if i'm going to eat meat how can i turn my nose to animal testing. Eating meat is not a necessity anymore.

SparklingFlame

MizaniMami said:

Yeah...I agree. It doesnt get any more torturous than the killing of animals for the meat market. They kill the cows in front of other cows. Thats torture! Knowing the fate of your fellow cow is going to be met by you. I cant imagine it.

Blu217

MizaniMami said:

This argument makes no sense. The meat industry is regulated by the FDA and has to meet certain standards for humane treatment and handling. This is not to say the animals aren't suffering--it is what it is and if you've ever researched the industry, it's still foul and a lot of change and more regulation is still needed. But consumable meat is in no way the same thing as cosmetics.

They do not kill cattle in front of other cattle. The cattle pass thru a curtain one at a time, where each is killed with a single bolt to the skull. The success rate of a 1st-time death has to be about 98%. Cattle that are stressed by a "dirty kill" or by knowing what's about to happen to them will release adrenaline, which ruins the meat--and that's costly to ranchers.

Their lives are in no way pleasant, but compare that to rabbits being immobilized for hours, days... however long the study takes while someone smears eyeshadow or conditioner in their eyes, which may burn and sting and blind them.... all so you can look pretty. Many of these tests are far worse, and research reveals that much testing these days doesn't even require the use of animals anymore, but some industries have yet to stop. It would be easier to choose a similar product that caused no animal to suffer needlessly for a vanity industry like hair and makeup. Food is a necessity, unpleasant as it is. A favorite brand of lipstick or a choice of 15 different conditioners is not.

I don't treat living things in a way I would not want to be treated, and I don't lightly dismiss their suffering simply because they aren't human. I find that depressingly insensitive, but it makes some people comfortable I suppose. Personally, I don't want to stand before God and have to answer for why I didn't show concern for His other living things when I had the choice to do so. We are not the only sentient beings who feel pain, and anytime it is done unnecessarily, to me that's just unconscionable.

Last edited:

SparklingFlame

Blu217 said:
This argument makes no sense. The meat industry is regulated by the FDA and has to meet certain standards for humane treatment and handling...

They do not kill cattle in front of other cattle. The cattle pass thru a curtain one at a time, where each is killed with a single bolt to the skull. The success rate of a 1st-time death has to be about 98%. Cattle that are stressed by a "dirty kill" or by knowing what's about to happen to them will release adrenaline, which ruins the meat--and that's costly to ranchers.
The FDA is a crock, I'm afraid. They are not on the side of the consumer. We dont know the half of the things that the FDA let slide all for the sake of big corporations. Its all about making money by any means.

As far as the way the cattle is killed, I have seen a DOCUMENTARY ON THIS AND THERES NO NICE CURTAIN. oNLY kOSHER BUTCHERS DO IT THAT WAY SO THAT THE ADRENALINE DOESNT GET INTO THE BLOODSTREAM. Sorry about the caps!

Neroli

naturallady said:
The FDA is a crock, I'm afraid. They are not on the side of the consumer. We dont know the half of the things that the FDA let slide all for the sake of big corporations. Its all about making money by any means.

As far as the way the cattle is killed, I have seen a DOCUMENTARY ON THIS AND THERES NO NICE CURTAIN. oNLY kOSHER BUTCHERS DO IT THAT WAY SO THAT THE ADRENALINE DOESNT GET INTO THE BLOODSTREAM. Sorry about the caps!

ITA! Having the FDA approve or regulate anything gives me NO comfort whatsoever. They are all in the pockets of lobbyists (much like the oil industry, the pharmceutical industry, etc.). And you are right about how animals raised for consumption are treated -- chickens PACKED, I say PACKED into coops where they can barely move, cows forced fed hormones to make them artifically fat, etc. etc. It's not fun thinking about it, but these industries are NOT in business to treat animals nice, they're in business to make money and that's the bottom line.

IMO, it is a false sense of "morality" when folks chow down on meat (or even eggs) and go on and on about animal rights. Animals just don't have any and they never did and as long as humans gonna eat meat, wear fur, wear leather, get sick, wear cosmetics, style their hair, etc. etc. etc. and all the stuff we love, especially in our so-called first world, high technology, instant gratification, convenient society (like the good ole USA), animals won't stand a chance.

That is simply reality from the beginning of time when we was trying to forage for food (meat) shelter (caves or tents made from hide aka leather) and clothing (furs, leather). Survival is to the fittest and smartest . . .

SparklingFlame

Well, I do think animals are here to be used by man as long as its done ethically. Its just not right for humans to mistreat animals just becasue they are lesser creatures.We have to respect all of Gods creatures, especially as being human beings since we have the highest of intelligence (well most humans anyway! ;))

Queenie

Blu217 said:
Their lives are in no way pleasant, but compare that to rabbits being immobilized for hours, days... however long the study takes while someone smears eyeshadow or conditioner in their eyes, which may burn and sting and blind them.... all so you can look pretty.

Where are you getting this info from? Have you worked in a lab?

winterinatl

All natural!
It's an interesting argument many of you apply - that since you eat meat it doesn't matter what suffering another animal goes through. That's a silly argument - if you recognized that animals can FEEL pain then, regardless of the hamburger you just scarfed, that bottle of shampoo might be causing some critter terrible pain. If you are not well read in the types of testing that go on/have gone on, you might do some research.

Anyway, if you knew you could lessen SOME animals' suffering, why not? In the case of cosmetics, I mean.

I eat meat, still don't support wearing furs and using cosmetics tested on animals. Most people don't know that some of the cosmetics testing done on cat, rabbits, monkeys, and other animals is not necessary - at this point companies already know what the effect of certain ingredients will be. Why continue to do it?

Yes, animal testing has helped us AND animals, in the pharmaceutical(sp?) industry. But cosmetics? Not the same ball park at all...

Just say you don't really care about animals one way or the other, there are many humans that fit that description.

Edited for typos.

Last edited:

Neroli

naturallady said:
Well, I do think animals are here to be used by man as long as its done ethically. Its just not right for humans to mistreat animals just becasue they are lesser creatures.We have to respect all of Gods creatures, especially as being human beings since we have the highest of intelligence (well most humans anyway! ;))

ITA. I started to say something like "God gave MAN dominion over all His creation" but I didn't want to insert religion in it, but since you did, what the hay! Having "dominion" IMO, means good stewardship where RESPECT is given to all God's creatures and there's no room in that for sadistic, cruel, and otherwise abusive behavior. Or hording and using more than your share. But is DOES mean permission to put those creations to our use, RESPONSIBLY.

However, since God gave man free will, we always gonna have us some fools who just don't get it . . .