An Ode to Oyin Handmade:

Morenita

:hiya: Ok, I'm a PJ, I admit it and I'm proud of it! I love love trying new products because you never know if you have the best of the best until you compare it to the rest of what's out there. But all self-professions aside, I just had to share. It's too good to keep it to myself (though some of you may already know about the line). I did a search and there's nothing much out there really praising it like the Hairveda thread or the Karen's BB...

So, this is my what I think is a well-deserved...

ODE TO OYIN HANDMADE!!!

Oh Oyin how I love thee, let me count the ways... :love3::callme:

Ok, so I may not be a poet, but I can still try to push it! :look: I ordered the Whipped Pudding, Honey Hair Wash and Greg's Juice...

The Whipped Pudding smells like cocoa butter and it's a whipped consistency, but not fluffy, creamy. It's like a really thick lotion and a little goes a long way. Think of the smell and benefits of Qhem's Cocoa Tree Ghee, but much less expensive ($11 for a 4oz jar) and much thicker/creamier. I love, love, love it!! :lick:

Ingredients:purified Water, unrefined Shea Butter, Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Cocoa Butter, Castor oil, Coconut oil, Sweet Almond oil, olive oil, Vegetable emulsifier, beeswax, Palm Stearic Acid, vegetable glycerine, honey, optiphen (preservative), fragrance

Greg's Juice is a great leave-in. It smells fruity and it helps with moisturizing/detangling. I'm not normally a fan of spray-in leave-ins, but I like it! :yep:

Ingredients: Purified Water Infused with Rosemary, Nettle, Horsetail, Red Sage, Lavender, & Chamomile, Flaxseed Decoction, Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Vegetable Glycerin, Essences of Rosemary, Lavender, Sweet Orange & YlangYlang, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Vitamin C.

Finally, my new baby, the HoneyWash. Ok... I don't think that I will ever let shampoo touch my hair again. EVER! It's sulfate free of course, as well as glycerin-free, paraben free, etc, etc. But get this... it has SLIP, so it feels like a shampoo with cones in it, but none of the drawbacks of that, and it keeps your hair
m-o-i-s-t-u-r-i-z-e-d! :drunk: (psst, you can use it as a body wash too!)

Ingredients: Castille soap made from organic oils; aloe vera gel, raw honey, jojoba oil; walnut oil; grapefruit seed and green tea extracts; acacia gum; sodium alginate, fragrance

Gonna stop now before somebody thinks I'm crazy... :scratchch

Edit: Oh, I do have a jar of the Shine and Define Styling Serum. I purchased it to use as a gel, and it just doesn't do it for me... It's a really loose consistency and has kind of a grainy texture (but it smells so good). It may be good to use as a curl-defining cream, so maybe somebody who does wash-n-goes can give a better testimony. I'll hang onto mine until my transition is through and check it out again if it's still good...

Last edited:

Charz

Sinister Minister
Im confused about the Whipped Pudding? On the site it says 6 bucks for a 2oz jar. It's 11 dollars for a 4oz jar. I am planing to go up to the store tomorrow and I see that you live in MD too. Is stuff cheaper there?

mstar

Luxury bacon
I was just looking at the Oyin website last night, but I couldn't find the ingredients listings, so I didn't order anything.

I really want to try the Frank Juice, and the Honey wash...they sound great.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I love Honey Hemp Conditioner and Juice & Berries. I will buy the burnt sugar pomade at some point.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Oh yes, I loves me some Oyin!!! Juices & Berries and Whipped Pudding will be permanant fixtures in my house. So moisturizing!

I love spraying on J&B and topping it with a little Whipped Pudding. Moisture! :lick: I loooove baggying with this stuff!

I have the Shine & Define as well and ain't nothin "shiny" about it :ohwell: Makes my hair look dull, but it does help with the edges.

Now that you've mentioned the Honey Wash, that's next on my list. I'm also gonna get Burnt Sugar Pomade for my edges to see if it's a better alternative to Shine & Define.

Have you tried the Honey Hemp Conditioner?

Morenita

Im confused about the Whipped Pudding? On the site it says 6 bucks for a 2oz jar. It's 11 dollars for a 4oz jar. I am planing to go up to the store tomorrow and I see that you live in MD too. Is stuff cheaper there?

Oops, you're right. Going to edit that. It is $11. I just got excited :look: I looked at the site and saw $6, and got it mixed up with what I got from CurlMart. I do live in MD. I am going to drive over to their store when I run out!

Last edited:

Charz

Sinister Minister
^ Thanks girl. :grin:

I was taking out the Detangling Ghee outta my Qhemet sale preparation cart! :look:

Gotta put the stuff back in! :sekret:

Morenita

Oh yes, I loves me some Oyin!!! Juices & Berries and Whipped Pudding will be permanant fixtures in my house. So moisturizing!

I love spraying on J&B and topping it with a little Whipped Pudding. Moisture! :lick: I loooove baggying with this stuff!

I have the Shine & Define as well and ain't nothin "shiny" about it :ohwell: Makes my hair look dull, but it does help with the edges.

Now that you've mentioned the Honey Wash, that's next on my list. I'm also gonna get Burnt Sugar Pomade for my edges to see if it's a better alternative to Shine & Define.

Have you tried the Honey Hemp Conditioner?

I haven't tried the Honey Hemp, but man, after receiving this order, I think I will try everything they have :lachen: I live in MD, so I could just drive over to Baltimore. I hear they are really slow with shipping. I ordered from CurlMart so I didn't have to deal with that.

chebaby

whipped pudding is my baby dady:lick:. i love this stuff. the smell is great, like hot coco. and when i use this my hair stays soft all day. i even used it on my arms one day. i will never stop using this product. and its very thick. i have fine hair put i love thick creams.

HH conditioner. love this. its great as a co wash and overnight deep conditioner. when i do my protein treatment i will use this overnight to make sure i dont get protein overload.

burnt sugar pomade. OMG i love this stuff. i hate grease so i tend to stay away from anything that says "pomade" but this is basically a solid oil. it reminds me of vatika frosting when its solid. when i seal with this my hair is moist all day long.

juices and berries and greg juice. fantastic. they are great to spray dry hair just for a boost and the smells are lovely. when my bottle is low and i only have say 2oz left, i just fill the rest of the bottle up with water and use it to spray my hair at night before i moisturize with a cream. i will continue to purchase this.

i was not fond of the honey wash or the shine and define. the S&D left my hair thirsty and the honey wash left my hair coated. will not repurchase.

next time i go to the store i will be sure to buy the frank juice and the shampoo bar. everyone in the store is soooo nice and welcoming. i even purchased the book the husband wrote and it is very inspiring. i keep it in my purse now because it is great. also while in the store i tried the body bar(forgot the name of it) and it smelled good and was very moisturizing. i didnt purchsae because my total came up to almost $100 and i was damn near broke when i left lmao.
bottom line is the whipped pudding, juices, HH conditioner and pomade are staples now.

Last edited:

Morenita

Has anyone who tried the Honey Wash also tried Wen? How do they compare?

Yep, I'm a Wen-ner :p I like the HoneyWash better. It smells so good too. I kept smelling my hair after I used it. Wen is great, but it has cones, and it's expensive! This stuff goes a longer way, is easier to distribute imo, and gives better slip, all w.o the cones that Wen has.

chebaby

Has anyone who tried the Honey Wash also tried Wen? How do they compare?
they dont:perplexed. wen is amazing:grin:. i love it. i use it like once a week and it keeps my hair sooooo soft. my fave is the fig and sweet almond mint, but i have all of them. right now im using the lavender and its good. it moisturizes but not as good as the fig.
the honey wash was weird. first off its really thin and liquidy. i have the coco mango scent which to me smells like sour milk. then its one of those products that fakes like its going to lather but it doesnt. i dont like that. either you will lather or you wont but dont give me a little suds i dont like that. then when i rinsed it out my hair made this squeaky sound like it was cleaned but yet it felt waxy and coated. i was like wth? i wont repurchase this although i am inlove with everything else.

wen is a staple though. nothing compares to wen cleansing conditioner:lick:

soulie

they dont:perplexed. wen is amazing:grin:. i love it. i use it like once a week and it keeps my hair sooooo soft. my fave is the fig and sweet almond mint, but i have all of them. right now im using the lavender and its good. it moisturizes but not as good as the fig.
the honey wash was weird. first off its really thin and liquidy. i have the coco mango scent which to me smells like sour milk. then its one of those products that fakes like its going to lather but it doesnt. i dont like that. either you will lather or you wont but dont give me a little suds i dont like that. then when i rinsed it out my hair made this squeaky sound like it was cleaned but yet it felt waxy and coated. i was like wth? i wont repurchase this although i am inlove with everything else.

Not to hijack (we have a "Praise Wen" thread), but the lavendar did nothing for me. I really wanted to like it, but... ehhhh, no go. I've been stockpiling sweet almond (including Re Moist) by buying folks' Guthy-Renker autoship packages from them on eBay. It's even cheaper than QVC.

Morenita

Odd... the Honey Wash left my hair feeling like silk. Opposite of you, it didn't strip it (it's sulfate free), and it didn't leave my hair coated. I have fine hair as well, so I would have noticed. Maybe your hair doesn't like honey?

The Honey Wash is creamy and slippery. Think CON or Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo, but with low lather. I liked the fake lather lol. Rich is the perfect word to describe it. It felt like liquid gold. Call me crazy. WEN on the other hand, eh. It's a great idea, but I'm just not that impressed for the price. It does the same thing for me that regular co-washes do, and what's the point if you have to clarify after using it a while anyway? The tingle is nice, but unless they make a cone-free version. Now that I have the Honey Wash, I definitely won't be re-purchasing WEN.

Last edited:

Jhuidah

I LOVE Oyin! The Honey Hemp Conditioner, Whipped Pudding, and Greg Juice have been staples for years. I use the Greg Juice as an after wash leave-in, and I twist with the Whipped Pudding. The Honey Hemp is good as a moisturizing leave-in, a DC, or a rinse out conditioner.

Be prepared for weird complements, though. One morning, one of my son's friend's mothers told me, "You smell like cookies!" She was smelling the Whipped Pudding, because I had used it to twist the night before. What do you say to that? :lol:

I was so-so on the Honey Wash (didn't repurchase). I liked the Grand Poo Bar. I dig the lotion bars a lot. Didn't care for the Shine and Define (didn't shine or define, so I didn't repurchase). Liked the Burnt Sugar Pomade, but the heavy scent turned me off (probably will not repurchase, unless they change the scent).

chebaby

Odd... the Honey Wash left my hair feeling like silk. Opposite of you, it didn't strip it (it's sulfate free), and it didn't leave my hair coated. I have fine hair as well, so I would have noticed. Maybe your hair doesn't like honey?

The Honey Wash is creamy and slippery. Think CON or Keracare Moisturizing Shampoo, but with low lather. I liked the fake lather lol. Rich is the perfect word to describe it. It felt like liquid gold. Call me crazy. WEN on the other hand, eh. It's a great idea, but I'm just not that impressed for the price. It does the same thing for me that regular co-washes do, and what's the point if you have to clarify after using it a while anyway? The tingle is nice, but unless they make a cone-free version. Now that I have the Honey Wash, I definitely won't be re-purchasing WEN.
we might have a different hair type. my hair loves honey, i use it in most of my deep conditioners. idk i just simply didnt like the honey wash. but the lady in the store(not jamyla) said she loved it so thats why i bought it. i am gonna try it again because i have a whole bottle so maybe my feelings may change but right now its not for me at all.

chebaby

I LOVE Oyin! The Honey Hemp Conditioner, Whipped Pudding, and Greg Juice have been staples for years. I use the Greg Juice as an after wash leave-in, and I twist with the Whipped Pudding. The Honey Hemp is good as a moisturizing leave-in, a DC, or a rinse out conditioner.

Be prepared for weird complements, though. One morning, one of my son's friend's mothers told me, "You smell like cookies!" She was smelling the Whipped Pudding, because I had used it to twist the night before. What do you say to that? :lol:

I was so-so on the Honey Wash (didn't repurchase). I liked the Grand Poo Bar. I dig the lotion bars a lot. Didn't care for the Shine and Define (didn't shine or define, so I didn't repurchase). Liked the Burnt Sugar Pomade, but the heavy scent turned me off (probably will not repurchase, unless they change the scent).
you feel the same as me on the shine and define. it did not shine or define, and my hair felt dry and thirst even when i used it in conjunction with the whipped pudding.

mkd

I must try the whipped pudding. I use CD healthy hear butter on my son's hair now and I am just so so on it but I needed a reasonably priced alternative. I will definately be ordering this.

Morenita

we might have a different hair type. my hair loves honey, i use it in most of my deep conditioners. idk i just simply didnt like the honey wash. but the lady in the store(not jamyla) said she loved it so thats why i bought it. i am gonna try it again because i have a whole bottle so maybe my feelings may change but right now its not for me at all.

Send it to meeeee! :look: :grin:

Jhuidah

you feel the same as me on the shine and define. it did not shine or define, and my hair felt dry and thirst even when i used it in conjunction with the whipped pudding.

YES! The thing about it is, I kept expecting it to have slip, but it didn't. It just sat there. And did nothing except be dry. And I kept thinking, "Well, maybe I'm using it wrong," so I tried it in several different ways, on different levels of dampness/wetness to my hair, with different products...nothing.

I'm curious who it works for, and how they use it.

chebaby

i think scandalousbeauty uses the shine and define to twist her hair. but the funny thing is the whipped pudding is sooooooooooo thick and yet it gives me mad definition. when my hair gets longer i know it will be amazing to use on my twists and twist outs but i wont waist my money on shine and define again.

i just sprayed my hair with my juices and berries and water mix and then moisturized with the whipped pudding to get ready for bed. i keep reaching under my bonnet to touch and smell my hair.
i never get tired of the hot coco smell.

Lyoness

I luckily got to try the juices and berries on a swap I loved the smell and I definitely want to order more from the range.. slightly scared of the shipping fees and import tax though!

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Yesterday I was on curlmart at least trying to find two things to buy so I can get burnt sugar pomade. I haven't tried it yet so I don't want to buy two. I'm trying to control my stash so I really don't need to buy any more Juices & Berries or Honey Hemp either. What I really need to do is at some point this spring or summer is just get in my car & go.

bellecheveux

I love the Honey Hemp conditioner! I also have the Shine & Define -- which is great -- and the Greg Juice. I like the Greg Juice, but it leaves a sticky feeling for me if I spritz on more than I need. I really want to purchase the Burnt Sugar Pomade and Honey Wash, but I'll wait a little longer.

redecouvert

Thank you OP for starting this thread. I am a huuuge oyin fan! I mostly use her bath and body products such as the honeysticks, soaps, body bars and especially the afterbath oil!
I can't live without it!!
I use the Whipped pudding on my face too and it is a wonderful body butter.
Some of her hair products such as the juices,the conditioner have orange oil so i can't use it..
but I like using the burnt sugar pomade from time to time...