Am I A Unicorn?

mbib0002

I don't think it is that simple. I am Igbo and I think our town is quite inland (or it felt that way driving forever). The varieties of tones and textures have been in my family before the missionaries. I don't know why we everything to European missionaries as opposed to groups we traded with for much longer periods of time. I know we would like these things to be simple, but they are not.

Whether traders of missionaries, or governors, I was just trying to make the point that there is some mixture in the gene due to foreign influence

mbib0002

I am Nigerian born and raised, I know my history and traveled to the village in Abia state every Christmas with my dad. There is some European gene pool amongst us from generations and generations ago. My dad actually remembers having oyibo quarters close to our compound in ndoru, Abia state.
I didn't say people married Europeans, but there was sexual mingling going on.
I'm not particularly dark, I have aunts, uncles, cousins that are very fair with varying hair textures too.

Ogoma

The Europeans presence (re: setting up posts in town) was not that long ago. We spent way more time trading with non-Europeans, but people keep trying to make them the center of everything.

There is no rhyme or reason to the assignment of tones and textures and in my family. There are those with darker skin tones and "looser" textures and every other combination. Trying to pin it on some white ancestor in the last 120-150 years does not seem accurate.

mbib0002

The Europeans presence (re: setting up posts in town) was not that long ago. We spent way more time trading with non-Europeans, but people keep trying to make them the center of everything. There is no rhyme or reason to the assignment of tones and textures and in my family. There are those with darker skin tones and "looser" textures and every other combination. Trying to pin it on some white ancestor in the last 120-150 years does not seem accurate.

So who else did we trade with?

@nefertiti, @CuteMeeka, @Ogoma, @Foxglove

ETA: when I say trade I don't mean "human" (slave) trade, I meant trade of goods and produce like silk, calabash, craft, raffia goods etc. Before "human" trade, there was trade between Europeans and Nigerians at the coast.
There were also Christian missionaries spreading the gospel to Nigerians; they came in through the coastal states, and started spreading Christianity. Of course, present eastern Nigeria is in closest proximity to these coastal states ( like rivers, akwa ibo, calaba), thus, they got the most influence of Christianity compared to other parts of Nigeria.

While all of this was going on, some "breeding" took place. :blush:. All this happened well before the slave trade period.

By the way, I studied NIgerian history all through secondary school in Nigeria, there are text books on this stuff. The only thing is that, most Nigerians could care less about all this, its more like it happened, and we've moved on, so to speak. :nono:

Last edited:

Ogoma

^^^ there was trade with the Arab world for centuries. Long before Europeans knew what a boat was. :lol:

I never understood why we diminish that longer trade to centralize Europeans in our history. Our involvement with them was recent compared to the 1000 or so years we spent trading with the Arab world.

Nefertiti0906

mbib0002 Also besides the Arabs influencing our culture, some have said that our culture (Ibibio, Annang, & Efik) was influenced by the Jews of East Africa/Israel and that we possibly descended from them; there is no validity to the claim just mere speculation based on the fact that our native religious practices and customs strongly resembles those of the Jewish Torah.

K I'm going to stop derailing this thread, sorry OP! Ogoma

Last edited:

mbib0002

Well, Arab influence was in north (like Zaria, Kano etc) and the western part if Nigeria not eastern, hence why they are predominantly Muslim with more of an Arab culture. Possibly ibibio too, I don't know nor remember.

I have heard ibos are descendants of Israel but haven't read any history to back that up.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just stating things as I remember reading. Hope I'm not offending anyone.

Ogoma

^^ No, you are not.

Arabs main entry point was the north, but there was trade all the way to the coast. We are talking about a 1000 years here.

I have heard the same thing re: Igbos and Jewish descent. But, the Israeli government looked into it and stated there were no Jewish descendants in Nigeria. I don't know if that declaration was political or factual.

I think we have veered off topic here. They will soon move this thread to off topics. :lol:

krissyhair

^^ No, you are not.

Arabs main entry point was the north, but there was trade all the way to the coast. We are talking about a 1000 years here.

I have heard the same thing re: Igbos and Jewish descent. But, the Israeli government looked into it and stated there were no Jewish descendants in Nigeria. I don't know if that declaration was political or factual.

I think we have veered off topic here. They will soon move this thread to off topics. :lol:

I'm going to go with political for $1000. Israel has a racist history for as long as it has existed. Have you heard of the "African problem?"

Forbes article
Israel Forcibly Injected African Immigrants with Birth Control, Report Claims

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I don't think 45-60 minutes is Unicorn territory.

It's the people who claim they can pull all of the above off in 15-20 minutes that I want to throw my laptop at.
Crackers Phinn - that and those who claim never to get breakage.

True. But I figure the more you do a thing, the better and faster you get at it. The rat tail comb is scary for everyone. But what helps is me using my huge tooth comb first and then when I use the RTC it glides through flawlessly.

My hair is not fine though so perhaps that makes it easier for me? It's a darn shame that I've been here for 7 years and still don't know much about hair. :lol:
Lucie, I never got faster. My hair tangles no matter how freshly trimmed. Let's not talk roller placement. That always tripped me up from time to time.

Girl, I hear you, but I can never get through an entire set; I always quit after few bedraggled rollers. No matter how well I detangle, the rattail comb still has difficulty gliding down the sections of hair. And, it will be full of hair! I worry that if I keep going it, I will wind up rolling six strands of hair.:lol:
PJaye, there with you.

JudithO

So who else did we trade with?

@nefertiti, @CuteMeeka, @Ogoma, @Foxglove

ETA: when I say trade I don't mean "human" (slave) trade, I meant trade of goods and produce like silk, calabash, craft, raffia goods etc. Before "human" trade, there was trade between Europeans and Nigerians at the coast.
There were also Christian missionaries spreading the gospel to Nigerians; they came in through the coastal states, and started spreading Christianity. Of course, present eastern Nigeria is in closest proximity to these coastal states ( like rivers, akwa ibo, calaba), thus, they got the most influence of Christianity compared to other parts of Nigeria.

While all of this was going on, some "breeding" took place. :blush:. All this happened well before the slave trade period.

By the way, I studied NIgerian history all through secondary school in Nigeria, there are text books on this stuff. The only thing is that, most Nigerians could care less about all this, its more like it happened, and we've moved on, so to speak. :nono:

You are not offending me at all... Your stance (for me) just seems like what you believe vs facts... E.g In several places, you have referred to cities as states, states as cities, confused states... It's difficult for me to believe what you are saying if it seems like you cannot tell one state from another... A number of us also grew up and went to high school in naija so that doesnt give you additional credibility IMO.. these are things that can be learned outside of the history classroom anyway.

Don't get me wrong, you may have some actual knowledge of what you are talking about... It just doesnt seem that way e.g In your above post... you mention "these coastal states ( like rivers, akwa ibo, calaba)" .... Akwa IboM is a state... Calabar is a city inside Cross Rivers... Rivers state is by the coast, but has no cultural relationship with Ibibio/Efik people (which is where this conversation started)... I hope you get my point...

mbib0002

Sorry for the mix up, I tend to interchange states and their capitals. Like Calaba capital of cross river; akwa ibom is a state with its capital as Uyo, rivers state's capital is port harcourt. Sorry for my mix up.

mbib0002

I interjected cause someone said rivers and Calaba people looked exotic and I just wanted to shed light as to why that was the case. HHG.