Is it really that hard?

blackbarbie

I have made up my mind to transition (7 months into it) and I really do think that it's a mindset.

I agree with someone who said that the best thing to do is not to "tell" your hair what you want it to do, but rather "deal" with what it will do.

I don't plan to do a BC, so I will probably have a lot of relaxed ends for a longggggg time (I will just get a few inches cut off every few months) but I have learned a lot from reading everyone's trial and error and I guess I'll be going through my own in a little while!

hopeful

I don't think it's that hard either. Right after the bc was a piece of cake, wash, pick and go. 6 months to 1 year was :wallbash: because it was in the dreaded in-between stage, my twists started hanging weird and because I have different textures and different growth rates throughout my head, I could no longer wash and go. Well I guess I could and can wash and go but it takes me about 30 minutes because I have to comb a bunch of gel or something throughout every section of my hair in order for it to be uniform and look neat. And that look only lasts for a day.

Just past one year it got easier again, not as easy as the bc stage, but easier. But I must add when my hair is done in a fab twist out my goodness it is just beautiful. It takes awhile for me to do twists as I gain length but you know once you're done you have a week or two where you don't hardly have to do anything. I am getting close to being able to wear a low pony tail in the back (hopefully at my 2-year mark), then I will have no complaints because when I don't have 3 or 4 hours to twist I can just put it in a ponytail.

I am good at doing my own hair though and enjoy doing it. If I did not know how to twist or braid or handle my own natural it would be very stressful having to depend on someone else to do it.

Evolving78

I Bc'd back in Feb. and it has not been that hard. I think the only time it gets time consuming is with the twisting, but I have short hair right now and I make really small parts so it takes me awhile. I had to go through a lot when I was relaxed though, because I wouldn't heat style my hair. I wore a lot of rollersets, wraps, and rodsetting hair styles. Those were very time consuming. It seemed like when I was relaxed, I was scared of my hair, because I didn't to damage it in any way, so I was kinda stuck with styling options.

BillsBackerz67

my natural hair is not hard to take care of. the only problems I ever really endured were single strand knots, tangle issues, and some cripsy ends (I was on a no trim challege so it was cured after I trimmed them). Other than that its not rocket science.

janee

thanks everyone for all the replies. I feel better about going natural. Hopefully I can handle it. This board is the reason I'm going natural. Never really thought about it until I started lurking here.
I guess the main thing I should be worried about is transitioning. Also be prepared to actually spend time working on my hair. Right now I do almost nothing to it. Not sure when I will do a BC. I want more length. Maybe a year. I'm also worried that I will look weird when I do a BC. I'll have to get over that. And I'll have to reread this thread.:yep:

MrsQueeny

No it really isn't. It is a chore for me because I have 3 other little natural heads to care for so when I finally get to mine, I am just tired. But using the advice and tips I have read on this board has made life easier for me. I just wish I could hire someone to do my girls' hair!!! Q