Am I A Unicorn?

Dee Raven

You know I was wondering too because I've been reading a lot of comments in threads recently about how long it takes to do natural hair. I timed myself yesterday (wash day) and it took me exactly 20 wash/detangle and shower. Then it takes maybe twenty mins to style (braid out). Not bad at all. But one thing is that my hair has to be washed/detangled weekly. I have way too many strands and I need to get those shed hairs out or my detangling would take forever. I'm WL 4a.

BranwenRosewood

If I cut my 3-4 hour dc's down to 10 minutes it would take me less than 30 minutes to do my hair. I just like to DC for a while since I think I'm low porosity. I'm 3C/4A, NL and I think medium/thick strands with medium/high density (haven't had my call with komaza yet). I only wash'n'go at the moment.

The only time it took me a while to do my hair was when I was at 8 months post. I got sick of it and BC'd cuz I'm not about to take all day to do my hair unless I feel like playing with a new style. Henna doesn't even take me long because I apply immediately after I mix let the dye release over night while it's in my hair.

JudithO

Ogoma Yes... you are a unicorn... Especially for a full blown Nigerian (aka chances that you have type 3 strands are 0 to none).

Detangling my natural hair alone takes an hour... How do you wear your hair normally? And look professional under an hr? Can you post a picture of what your hair looks like normally?

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
My hair only takes a long time when I go too long between washes and let it get tangled. I mostly do WNGs, and if I do them 2x per week my hair takes less than 30 minutes. When I twist my hair up it takes about 45 mins. But, I noticed that when I get lazy and wear a WNG for a week, then bun it for a week without detangling that my next wash day is a nightmare.

I'm not counting DC time because I usually DC overnight.

BraunSugar

45-60 minutes tho? I couldn't do it. I'm natural and I do my hair in the shower. I don't need to detangle unless I plan to straighten. Otherwise I just finger comb it. I do find my hair difficuly mainly because I do not like shrinkage and I like to wear my hair 'out'. It looks better straight imo, however the ease of hopping in the shower, washing my hair, hopping out and leaving the house is too great to give up.

I don't understand why people take an hour to wash n go. That is NOT wash n going!! Wash your hair, put it in a pony tail or leave it out, and then go. Do not braid, do not shingle, do not apply gel to each strand of hair seperately, do not pass go and collect $200, just GO!

:lol:

But short answer no you're not a unicorn but with some threads it can feel like it!

If I were going to style my hair daily then this wouldn't be an issue. I have to apply product in sections for "wash & gos" so that I don't have to worry about my hair again for the next 5-6 days. My hair would be a tangled, matted mess at the end of a week if I just washed it and didn't apply my products carefully. :lol:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
Styling my hair (usually in box braids) takes the longest because I braid slow and my hair tangles easily.

I started steaming again, so that added 30 mins to my weekly wash routine.

virtuenow

I think my hair must be special b/c I don't have this SSK problem that a lot of 4b/c naturals complain about. Does that make me unicorn status. I am 4b/c btw.

virtuenow

@Ogoma Yes... you are a unicorn... Especially for a full blown Nigerian (aka chances that you have type 3 strands are 0 to none).

Detangling my natural hair alone takes an hour... How do you wear your hair normally? And look professional under an hr? Can you post a picture of what your hair looks like normally?

But most of the Nigerian women I come across seem to have a looser texture-- usually 3c/4a. At least the ones I've followed. Like Nichi (@Kneechay), Jostylin and others whose names I can't think of. I was starting to think that was the norm.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My hair is very easy to take care of, but I have helped some people with their children's hair and trust me, there are hair types that are very difficult. Those are the dense hair types as people already mentioned above, with super thick hair with an extreme amount of strands per square inch, so to speak. Especially if the strands themselves are super thin - the tangle factor is crazy. They could probably do their hair in under an hour if they learned how to take care of the hair and if they actually did their hair every week at least. (And didn't wait for me to come over once in a blue moon lol!)

Personally, I only finger comb and I think I washed and detangled my waist length hair in 20 minutes this morning including my regular shower. After that, I just moisturized my hair and put it up in one big twist/bun with a huge clip. It can be easy if you're not trying to create any elaborate hair do...

BEAUTYU2U

When people say that, I figure they haven't learned how to deal with their hair yet. They're trying to make it conform some kind of way. Once you get to know your hair, it should be simple. When my hair looks a mess it's cause I was being lazy or impatient so I gave a half arse attempt :giggle:

BEAUTYU2U

I think my hair must be special b/c I don't have this SSK problem that a lot of 4b/c naturals complain about. Does that make me unicorn status. I am 4b/c btw.

Now that makes you a unicorn to me :lol: SSKs are the only thing holding my hair back, it's what causes my breakage. Especially after I hit SL.

Ogoma

JudithO

I will be taking them down when I am supposed to be awake in a few hours. I am type 4 with no 3s.

The first is a bun slicked back with xtreme gel or aloe jelly. The second one, I took down the bun and moved a piece of my hair to the other side since I prefer a side part when my hair is down. Sorry for the huge sticky, but I say some controversial things on here. I don't want it to haunt me if I ever decide to go into politics :lol:

biancaelyse

I have 3B hair that is almost WL

I can cowash, detangle, add leave in and gel in about 15 min.

I do this every other day and it helps to making detangling easier.

My daughter (not the one in my sigg pic, my other kid) is a 3C with very thick lion hair that she doesn't detangle as often or as thoroughly as she should :nono:.

About once a week I blow a tranquilizer dart into her butt and I detangle her hair for her. It takes a good 45 min and 6 oz of conditioner.

Last edited:

ckisland

If I were going to style my hair daily then this wouldn't be an issue. I have to apply product in sections for "wash & gos" so that I don't have to worry about my hair again for the next 5-6 days. My hair would be a tangled, matted mess at the end of a week if I just washed it and didn't apply my products carefully. :lol:

Thank you!!! I'm not trying to wash n'go daily. which means I need to apply enough gel thoroughly enough to maintain 5-7 days of definition and so that my strands do tangle up. Since a wash n'go (as a style) is seen as the process of washing/conditioning your hair, applying a styler, and specifically not twisting or braiding your hair, I don't know what else we should call that process :perplexed. I guess it's confusing sometimes because the term describes a process (just washing your hair) and/or a style ( the wash n'go). A whole lot of people wash their hair daily and just let it dry, but they don't call it anything and it's not seen as styling their hair.

Mahogony7

I have not really done anything to my hair since my big chop back in March 2012. I've been wearing mini braids under wigs since then. Here's a detailed list of what I do.

1. Take my braids out and this includes detangling(3 hours)
2. Apply conditioner for a pre-poo(30 minutes)
3. Sleep with conditioner(6-8 hours)
4. Rinse out conditioner, shampoo and apply DC to hair in four loose sections(45 minutes)
5.Let DC sit for about six hours and sometimes I spend the last twenty minutes under a bonnet.
6. Massage scalp and moisturize and seal each section then braid(3 hours)

I do this every two to three weeks before I was super keen and did it every week. I cowash about four times a week and DC with the braids in once a week. My hair is right at APL. I want it to BSL by next March and I know It will be there. I tried curlformer sets twice in the past and it to me two hours to put 80 curlformers in. I like doing my hair. I feel that all of this will produce great results. I'm constantly motivated by all of the Yt girls especially Chime, Lailia and XoDVF. I see their hair and know that my goals are possible and very close.

danniegirl

No, not a unicorn and I'm a super kinky Type 4c+

My wash days are long because I choose it to be that way.

At my short length a wash, DC and style could be done in 15 mins. This is particularly so if the right DC with a lot of slip is used so there's not much need to detangle after. However, it's by choice and because my hair has become my hobby that I'll take 2 hours for a wash day and an hour a night to twist it up...

i really like how you said that :yep::yep::yep:

lux10023

how hard could a bun or ponytail be lol--that is super easy..you not styling your hair daily so it makes sense why the process is easy...
if every natural put their hair in a bun or ponytail each day they would be fine lolmaooo

Lita

No,your not a unicorn...It all depends on texture/products...My hair in all states,always took long & been extra..No matter what...My sister is bsl & is done in 1,2,3 finished...So,you are fine.

Happy Hair Growing!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I have 3B hair that is almost WL

I can cowash, detangle, add leave in and gel in about 15 min.

I do this every other day and it helps on making detangling easier.

My daughter is a 3C with very thick lion hair that she doesn't detangle as often or as thoroughly as she should.

About one a week I blow a tranquilizer dart into her butt and I detangle her hair for her. It takes a good 45 min and 6 oz of conditioner.

biancaelyse how do you dry your hair everyday?

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Ogoma, I can relate. I am relaxed now and it takes me 20 minutes to rollerset. I always get confused why it takes women so long to rollerset and I am MBL so my hair is not short.

When I was natural it took me minutes to detangle. And when I was natural my hair was BUSHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! The only thing that took me forever and a day was braiding or doing two strand twists. There was quite a few times I had half my hair to go and I'd want to break down and cry from all the time it took. After it got that serious, I stopped braiding, LOL!

I am not sure it matters but I am a 3c/4a.

Last edited:

biancaelyse

@biancaelyse how do you dry your hair everyday?

Napp

After applying my leave in and gel to wet hair, I wrap my hair is a satin pillowcase (less frizz) and then I wrap a super absorbent towel over that. I keep this on for about an hour or as long as I can stand it. This gets my hair about 70% dry give or take. I leave it out and allow it to air dry.

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

4a/b natural, my hair is on autopilot as well. Wash, condition and detangle in the shower and sometimes I style it in the shower too. I find it easier that way, I do 2 large flat twists in the shower and either bun it up or tuck my ends under. My hair is about APL right now. I wear my hair like that for a day or 2 and then by the time it's dried since it's in a stretched state I do either braidouts/ twistouts or a bun. Moisturize as needed, go on with my life. The end.

PJaye

Ogoma, I can relate. I am relaxed now and it takes me 20 minutes to rollerset. I always get confused why it takes women so long to rollerset and I am MBL so my hair is not short.

When I was natural it took me minutes to detangle. And when I was natural my hair was BUSHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! The only thing that took me forever and a day was braiding or doing two strand twists. There was quite a few times I had half my hair to grow and I'd want to break down and cry from all the time it took. After it got that serious, I stop braiding, LOL!

I am not sure it matters but I am a 3c/4a.

Rollersetting is an acquired skill that can be difficult to master, particularly if one has fine, tangle-prone hair like I do. Plus, using a rattail comb during the process is a scary thang.:yep:

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Rollersetting is an acquired skill that can be difficult to master, particularly if one has fine, tangle-prone hair like I do. Plus, using a rattail comb during the process is a scary thang.:yep:

True. But I figure the more you do a thing, the better and faster you get at it. The rat tail comb is scary for everyone. But what helps is me using my huge tooth comb first and then when I use the RTC it glides through flawlessly.

My hair is not fine though so perhaps that makes it easier for me? It's a darn shame that I've been here for 7 years and still don't know much about hair. :lol:

HoneyBadger

I'm sitting here laughing because I got up early to take down my plaits and I've been at it for over an hour :lol: And that's just the take down :ohwell:

Wash and goes were easier but more damaging for my hair which is why I stopped. I have a WL goal and WnGs can't take my hair there.

FelaShrine

But most of the Nigerian women I come across seem to have a looser texture-- usually 3c/4a. At least the ones I've followed. Like Nichi (@Kneechay), Jostylin and others whose names I can't think of. I was starting to think that was the norm.

isnt Nichi a heat trained natural

HoneyBadger

True. But I figure the more you do a thing, the better and faster you get at it. The rat tail comb is scary for everyone. But what helps is me using my huge tooth comb first and then when I use the RTC it glides through flawlessly.

My hair is not fine though so perhaps that makes it easier for me? It's a darn shame that I've been here for 7 years and still don't know much about hair. :lol:

Fine, tangly hair is a pain to style. I think other textures may have it easier in that department.

Ogoma

how hard could a bun or ponytail be lol--that is super easy..you not styling your hair daily so it makes sense why the process is easy... if every natural put their hair in a bun or ponytail each day they would be fine lolmaooo

This is not about those to have long hair times because they enjoy all things hair and styling. It is those that complain about their hair, which would imply they don't enjoy the long times.

If I want my hair down, I take out the bun or put it in 7 braids with flexis at the end (I only have 7 flexirods)

JudithO

In my 18 years on living at home, I havent met ONE person with type 3 strands... None... Your friends are the exception or maybe they have some Non-Nigerian genes somewhere in their gene pool.