Alopecia Overcomers

AgapeQueen

OK, so I want straight hair! I know that perms are not going to be a friend of mine sice I have androgenic alopecia...so I was thinking about using BKT??? Has anyone used it with alopecia? Will it help heal or hurt my condition?

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I am an Alopecia Survivor. I bkt'd last july, only once. My scalp was never inflamed or harmed in any way. I thought it worked very well. My hair has completely reverted. I used Softliss Chocolate.

Now, I don't think it will heal alopecia, but i'm not sure if it'll hurt. I would go chemical-free if i were you. I went almost a year and a half before i did this treatment. When my healing was evident, not during the healing process. I haven't done the treatment again, but I have definitely considered it for the summer.
HTH!

Last edited:

Nonie

I don't know how accurate these articles are but a quick online search took me to articles that seem to imply formaldehyde or Keratin treatments might cause hair loss:

Keratin Hair Treatment Side Effects
Keratin hair treatment is a great way of straightening the frizzy and curly hair. However, this treatment is not devoid of any side effects. Read on to know more about keratin hair treatment side effects.

Keratin hair treatment or famously called as 'miracle straightening treatment', is widely popular for removing frizz and curls. It is considered as a natural method of straightening hair, since no harsh chemicals are used. However, the pitfalls of this treatment became apparent when many unsatisfied customers started reporting the numerous side effects of keratin for hair. Before, discovering the side effects of keratin treatment, let us first know what this treatment actually is.

Keratin Hair Treatment
Keratin is a natural protein found in hair, teeth, nails etc. It adds soft, silky, shiny texture to the hair. In case of curly, frizzy hair, the natural keratin is not sufficient to add smooth texture to the hair. The keratin hair treatment mainly aims at replenishing the keratin content in the hair. The keratin that is required for this treatment, is obtained from animal sources or other natural sources. During the treatment, this keratin product is applied on hair, followed by hot ironing. This hair straightening technique is necessary to cover the hair cuticle with keratin and trap the moisture within the hair. The product is then rinsed off, to reveal pin straight hair. More on hair straighteners.

Keratin Hair Treatment Side Effects
Keratin hair treatment side effects surface only after the first wash, which is recommended after 72 hours of treatment. The various side effects of keratin hair treatment are as follows.

Potential to Induce Cancer
Formaldehyde, a carcinogenic substance is the major component of almost every keratin hair treatment product. Even the famous Brazilian keratin hair treatment makes use of formaldehyde. Although, most salons make use of masks to escape the fumes of formaldehyde, there is no way of preventing the small amounts of formaldehyde from getting absorbed in the skin. This formaldehyde has a very high potential of inducing cancer. However, there are a few products, which are devoid of formaldehyde, but they may not give you the desired results, as the straightening effect is mainly due to formaldehyde. Thus, Brazilian keratin hair treatment side effects are mostly due to formaldehyde.

Excessive Hair Loss
This is yet another major problem, which is experienced by most of the customers who have had the treatment done. The hair start falling from its root after the first wash itself, even if you wash with recommended hair care products only. Moreover, the amount of hair-fall is so overwhelming that a prominent thinning pattern can be observed within weeks of treatment. However, your dermatologist might want you to undergo a few tests to rule out other causes, before treating you for hair loss due to keratin treatment. Read on hair loss prevention and hair loss solutions.

Deterioration of Hair Texture
You may find your hair full of luster, immediately after the treatment. But, do not stay under the impression that your hair will remain so forever. In fact, you'll notice your hair texture degrading within 2-3 weeks of treatment. The hair become dry, fade and all messed up. Also, it is likely that your hair will stay pin straight even after washing twice. This can be particularly frustrating if your hair stylist told you to expect relaxed and naturally wavy hair in a day or two.

Allergic Reactions
Just like any other hair treatment, this treatment is also capable of inducing allergic reactions in few people. The symptoms include itching, rash etc. which are typical allergy symptoms. Your hair stylist should first identify your hair texture so as to choose an appropriate product for your hair type. Also, you should clearly mention, if you have a past history of allergic reactions.

Keratin hair treatment side effects are many and that too pretty serious. You definitely don't want to let go of your precious hair (no matter how curly or frizzy it may be) for smooth, straight hair which won't last for more than a couple of months. Hence, think twice before you are ready to take the plunge.

By Ashwini Kulkarni
(Source)

[
FOUR STEPS TO AVOID HAIR LOSS ... IF YOU CAN.
If you think you may be at risk for balding, there is hope still. Hair loss is not always genetic, so in a way, whether or not you suffer baldness is completely dictated by the way you dictate your life. Here are four steps that we came across while surfing the web today that may provide an answer to slowing hair loss:

1) Avoid using strong chemicals—Some hair care products contain relatively caustic chemicals such as formaldehyde. It is common to find formaldehyde in cosmetics such as shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, liquid hand wash and bubble bath.

2) Change your overall lifestyle—Heavy smoking constricts blood vessels, including channels that lead to hair follicles. That being said, smoking can cause thinning of the hair as well as have adverse effects on hair loss treatments.

Exercise is known to prevent hair growth problems. Stress can also lead to hair loss, which is why a healthy workout routine may be a good choice. Aside from the obvious health benefits, exercise helps reduce stress.

3) Limit outdoor activities—Too much exposure to the sun can be detrimental to hair follicles.

4) Avoid using hair accessories—Try to limit the use of any products that apply stress to your hair (clips, head bands and ponytail accessories). Constant stress on your hair can cause your hair to weaken and fall out.
(Source)

Personally, I believe that when trying to treat alopecia, minimizing chemicals is a good habit to start. It is for this reason I never jumped on the Surge bandwagon even though that was the seven days' wonder when I was suffering from alopecia. I looked for the most natural method that is free of side-effects.

BTW, OP, why must you have straight hair? Won't that expose the bald parts even more? If you just like the look of it, why not wear a wigs for that and take care of your health? I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but there are worse things than sporting natural hair. You could have no hair at all or be very ill, and if alopecia bothers you, then your health and doing everything you can to save your hair should be your focus. There are people who have lost hair to chemotherapy fighting cancer and if they could swap places with you, they'd give anything to be well again. Please take your alopecia as a warning to do right by your body and make every effort to take care of what you have in the best way you can.

Nonie

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll is a SURVIVOR. She's over the alopecia. Her success with BKT may not be so great an example for you as you are just dealing with alopecia now. While her follicles are healed, yours are still "ill" and in need of TLC till they can be strong enough and able to handle stuff.

AgapeQueen

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll is a SURVIVOR. She's over the alopecia. Her success with BKT may not be so great an example for you as you are just dealing with alopecia now. While her follicles are healed, yours are still "ill" and in need of TLC till they can be strong enough and able to handle stuff.

Thanks.. You are so right! I need to treat the problem first! I have been using rogaine...:nono: my scalp does not agree with it. I plan to use BT instead, plus it is natural! I have gathered some other natural things instead of commercial products:perplexed

One step at a time... I am just trying to avoid too much heat. I wear my hair straight and now that it is summer...:wallbash: afro root city

AgapeQueen

I am an Alopecia Survivor. I bkt'd last july, only once. My scalp was never inflamed or harmed in any way. I thought it worked very well. My hair has completely reverted. I used Softliss Chocolate.

Now, I don't think it will heal alopecia, but i'm not sure if it'll hurt. I would go chemical-free if i were you. I went almost a year and a half before i did this treatment. I haven't done it again.
HTH!

Thanks a bunch.. I was under the impression that alopeica can not be cured??? I guess b/c I was told that I had to use rogaine for the est of my life.. which is not going to work for me! I am trying to go the natural way:yep:

What did you use to rid the alopecia? What type of alopecia did you have?

AgapeQueen

I thought BKT was natural minus the Formaldehyde. I have saw some that is Formaldehyde free:ohwell:

Nonie

Thanks.. You are so right! I need to treat the problem first! I have been using rogaine...:nono: my scalp does not agree with it. I plan to use BT instead, plus it is natural! I have gathered some other natural things instead of commercial products:perplexed

One step at a time... I am just trying to avoid too much heat. I wear my hair straight and now that it is summer...:wallbash: afro root city

I am not a fan of Rogaine, or more precisely, its active ingredient minoxidil, only because I'm not committed to be at its mercy for the rest of my life. I guess if nothing else worked, then one would have no choice, but I don't know if you know this: while minoxidil will regrow your hair, albeit a finer fur than your real strands, the day you stop using it, all the hair you grew will fall off. So you have to commit to using it for life.

The thread Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll started on alopecia survivors has a lot of success stories that might inspire as well as shed light on remedies that might be more permanent than minoxidil/Rogaine.

I can understand wanting to wear you hair straight but maybe you can practice wearing a wig on weekends till it feels "normal". Curlformers stretch your hair w/o heat and curl it too, and can be another alternative for a "straightish" look. If I ever figure out how to separate the curls like relaxed heads can without the hair getting frizzy, I'll be sure to post. But the day I wore my hair to work like this, no one seemed to realize that it was a fail since I couldn't separate the curls into the look I wanted. So maybe no one will be any the wiser if you wear a wig or a Curlformer do like I did. The curls may help to hide the bald parts too. ;)

AgapeQueen

I don't know how accurate these articles are but a quick online search took me to articles that seem to imply formaldehyde or Keratin treatments might cause hair loss:

(Source)

(Source)

Personally, I believe that when trying to treat alopecia, minimizing chemicals is a good habit to start. It is for this reason I never jumped on the Surge bandwagon even though that was the seven days' wonder when I was suffering from alopecia. I looked for the most natural method that is free of side-effects.

BTW, OP, why must you have straight hair? Won't that expose the bald parts even more? If you just like the look of it, why not wear a wigs for that and take care of your health? I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but there are worse things than sporting natural hair. You could have no hair at all or be very ill, and if alopecia bothers you, then your health and doing everything you can to save your hair should be your focus. There are people who have lost hair to chemotherapy fighting cancer and if they could swap places with you, they'd give anything to be well again. Please take your alopecia as a warning to do right by your body and make every effort to take care of what you have in the best way you can.

Straight hair is all that I know...sounds strange but I was apart of the perm at 7 generation. I have become accustom to it. No, wearing straight does not make the thinning spots more visible, it helps me hide them.

I have focused on taking better care of myself, but the aloepcia I have is genetic..my father, mother, great and grandmother has it...

I will do everything I can to overcome this and to teach my girls to better care for their natural hair. I was never taught, only taught to perm, weave, cut, and dye my hair to look good! lol not taught to nurture what God has given me in it's natural state!

With the help of the Father and all you ladies I will overcome!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Great post. This was exactly what I thought about after posting. I wouldn't do the treatment until I was healed. Heck, i wouldn't even CONSIDER this type of treatment until much, much later down the road...work on healing your scalp, then start thinking about styles and such...

I went around looking a little bit :ohwell: and :perplexed, because i transitioned, no bc - ever. So I had to get a handle on my style strategies and such. Buns were my lifesaver. I wasn't as cute as I wanted to be (for a season - everything lasts only for a season), but I had my hair and that was more important...

Nonie

I thought BKT was natural minus the Formaldehyde. I have saw some that is Formaldehyde free:ohwell:

There is a lot of conflicting info on this. IIRC, the last article I read implied that "formaldehyde free" BKT just has fewer traces of aldehyde, not that it is completely free of them. I think the test is if the results last longer than the next wash, then the product is not free of formaldehyde...or something like it. In other words, it is the formaldehyde that makes the results last for longer than one wash.

Here are some articles:

http://www.keratinbrazil.com/brazil... marketing of formaldehyde free products.html

http://frizzytofabulous.blogspot.com/2009/01/truth-about-brazilian-keratin.html

http://thejetsetgirls.blogspot.com/2010/02/brazilian-blowout-vs-keratin-treatment.html

Nonie

Straight hair is all that I know...sounds strange but I was apart of the perm at 7 generation. I have become accustom to it. No, wearing straight does not make the thinning spots more visible, it helps me hide them.

I have focused on taking better care of myself, but the aloepcia I have is genetic..my father, mother, great and grandmother has it...

I will do everything I can to overcome this and to teach my girls to better care for their natural hair. I was never taught, only taught to perm, weave, cut, and dye my hair to look good! lol not taught to nurture what God has given me in it's natural state!

With the help of the Father and all you ladies I will overcome!

You can get straight hair with a wig. And it's not "shady" or "square" to wear a wig. If I knew how to fit my braids into a wig, I'd be wearing a different one every now and then. Thing is, YOU know why you're doing it. Folks will just have to get used to it. And they will. And your scalp will heal. And then one day you'll wear your hair out, and it will look as pretty as a wig. And you'll have trouble convincing people it isn't a wig.

Look at Oprah. She wore weaves and nurtured her hair till she had a mane that was so purrty Chris Rock had to feel it to believe it. Sometimes as Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll (<--Could your name be more of a pain to type? :p) shared, you have to make a bit of a sacrifice now to reap the rewards and enjoy them later. What's the point of causing your head more trauma only to end up with no choice but to either wear a wig 24/7 or sport a bald head?

I love wearing my hair out, but I know I want long hair. So I stay in braids because they are an easy way for me to grow my hair and avoid breaking it so I can reach my goal. Yvette wore buns for a whole year, never even looking at her hair but bunning it in the shower and when the year was over, she braced herself to see her hair and was beside herself with joy. As she walked down the road with her hair swinging, folks stopped and stared. She hated buns but she had a goal she was determined to reach, so she made the sacrifice and wore them. If you don't know her story, here you go.

Also you mentioned you didn't know that alopecia could be healed; here's a thread that will convince you otherwise: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419438

Last edited:

AgapeQueen

Great post. This was exactly what I thought about after posting. I wouldn't do the treatment until I was healed. Heck, i wouldn't even CONSIDER this type of treatment until much, much later down the road...work on healing your scalp, then start thinking about styles and such...

I went around looking a little bit :ohwell: and :perplexed, because i transitioned, no bc - ever. So I had to get a handle on my style strategies and such. Buns were my lifesaver. I wasn't as cute as I wanted to be (for a season - everything lasts only for a season), but I had my hair and that was more important...

Thanks.. I'm looking for styles now b/c I tried the bunning and my ends broke off throughout my hair.. NEVER will I bun lke that again! lol...

I have some ideas...but one step at a time! I am going to do the waistlength drink, vitamins, my own conditioner (I have a list of yummy natural items) ACV/ honey rinse (no shampoo), BT, lots of water and green tea, and exercise! Whatever else the Holy Spirit leads me to do!

I will do this for 4 months and track my results!

AgapeQueen

You can get straight hair with a wig. And it's not "shady" or "square" to wear a wig. If I knew how to fit my braids into a wig, I'd be wearing a different one every now and then. Thing is, YOU know why you're doing it. Folks will just have to get used to it. And they will. And your scalp will heal. And then one day you'll wear your hair out, and it will look as pretty as a wig. And you'll have trouble convincing people it isn't a wig.

Look at Oprah. She wore weaves and nurtured her hair till she had a mane that was so purrty Chris Rock had to feel it to believe it. Sometimes as Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll (<--Could your name be more of a pain to type? :p) shared, you have to make a bit of a sacrifice now to reap the rewards and enjoy them later. What's the point of causing your head more trauma only to end up with no choice but to either wear a wig 24/7 or sport a bald head?

I love wearing my hair out, but I know I want long hair. So I stay in braids because they are an easy way for me to grow my hair and avoid breaking it so I can reach my goal. Yvette wore buns for a whole year, never even looking at her hair but bunning it in the shower and when the year was over, she braced herself to see her hair and was beside herself with joy. As she walked down the road with her hair swinging, folks stopped and stared. She hated buns but she had a goal she was determined to reach, so she made the sacrifice and wore them. If you don't know her story, here you go.

Also you mentioned you didn't know that alopecia could be healed; here's a thread that will convince you otherwise: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=419438

wigs:nono: yo no se' The women in my family have come to embrace them as a vital tool of life... I don't think I'm ready for that.. it will drive me crazy! I vowed to myself never to be like the women in my family and wear wigs:ohwell: lol

Nonie

Thanks.. I'm looking for styles now b/c I tried the bunning and my ends broke off throughout my hair.. NEVER will I bun lke that again! lol...

I have some ideas...but one step at a time! I am going to do the waistlength drink, vitamins, my own conditioner (I have a list of yummy natural items) ACV/ honey rinse (no shampoo), BT, lots of water and green tea, and exercise! Whatever else the Holy Spirit leads me to do!

I will do this for 4 months and track my results!

Really? Were you pulling your hair tight or brushing it too much? I've heard of hairlines breaking from buns due to hair being brushed or pulled back tight...or from the wrong clips being used to fasten the bun, but I've not heard of breakage throughout the hair. Are you sure it wasn't your technique rather than the style?

Maybe you can try French braids done as if doing a newborn baby's head whose skull hasn't fused, which means no pulling whatsoever.

But if you really want to "rest" your scalp, I say wigs, headwraps, or braid-outs/twist-outs...so that you're not pulling on your hair to style.

Nonie

wigs:nono: yo no se' The women in my family have come to embrace them as a vital tool of life... I don't think I'm ready for that.. it will drive me crazy! I vowed to myself never to be like the women in my family and wear wigs:ohwell: lol

That's a shame, you are that against wigs. Life has taught me to never say never...coz you just never know. Women in your family are addicted to wigs. You're going into this only for a spell as a means to an end. You aren't going into wigs because you've given up on your hair or can't be bothered to care for it and wear it out. You couldn't make the sacrifice even for a year, just till you're normal again?

Well, then maybe the other suggestions will work for you. I'm all out of ideas coz those are what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

AgapeQueen

That's a shame, you are that against wigs. Life has taught me to never say never...coz you just never know. Women in your family are addicted to wigs. You're going into this only for a spell as a means to an end. You aren't going into wigs because you've given up on your hair or can't be bothered to care for it and wear it out. You couldn't make the sacrifice even for a year, just till you're normal again?

Well, then maybe the other suggestions will work for you. I'm all out of ideas coz those are what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

lol.. I greatly appreciate them all! french braids sounds good???
:rolleyes:

SelfStyled

Once again Nonie to the rescue- you are the bestest. French braids are wonderful, I have the exact same type of Alopecia(genetic)- and I use lots of french braids for styling- because they are low tension. My siggie is a french braid.....more french braid styles:

French braid clipped up into a bun

Another french braid style:
http://www.public.fotki.com/selfstyled/2010/2010/french-braid-004.html

I can feel your desperation in your posts, when I was diagnosed it shook me to my core and my self esteem plummetted, I really know how you feel. There is hope on the other side.

Okay so wigs are not for you- I am sure you will be able to find something that works on this forum.

SelfStyled

Thanks a bunch.. I was under the impression that alopeica can not be cured??? I guess b/c I was told that I had to use rogaine for the est of my life.. which is not going to work for me! I am trying to go the natural way:yep:

What did you use to rid the alopecia? What type of alopecia did you have?

There is no cure- but if it is hormonal, dht, etc- there are steps you can take for sure to slow or halt the hair loss. Have you seen a derm? They all want to say Rogaine, but rogaine is not always the answer.

Do you take vitamins or supplements?

AgapeQueen

There is no cure- but if it is hormonal, dht, etc- there are steps you can take for sure to slow or halt the hair loss. Have you seen a derm? They all want to say Rogaine, but rogaine is not always the answer.

Do you take vitamins or supplements?

Yes I have been to the derm. They performed a biopsy and these were my results. I take nouritress hair vit and b-complex.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

You can call me Br*nze for short...lol!