All-Time Best Hair Grower: LEAVE IT ALONE!

CynamonKis

As I read this board and evaluate my current regiment, especially the 2007 Boot Camp Challenge (which is right-on point for me), I begin to recall that my hair grew best when I simply LEFT IT THE HECK ALONE!

Back in 1983, I wore a Jheri Curl, and my hair grew REALLY FAST. I basically put that activator on it, and lightly combed it, but that's all I did, essentially LEFT IT ALONE.

Then in 1997, a hairstylist at JC Penneys over-processed my fine hair, and I had to do a "big chop". I didn't even have enough hair to braid for a weave! I wore a wig for 2 months, and then wore a weave for 5 years. My hair grew in long, thick & natural, because under that weave I LEFT IT ALONE!

Ladies, as we ponder all of the stuff we currently do to our hair, think back to the good ole days when we experienced phenomenal growth by just leaving our hair THE HECK ALONE!

navsegda

CynamonKis said:
As I read this board and evaluate my current regiment, especially the 2007 Boot Camp Challenge (which is right-on point for me), I begin to recall that my hair grew best when I simply LEFT IT THE HECK ALONE!

Back in 1983, I wore a Jheri Curl, and my hair grew REALLY FAST. I basically put that activator on it, and lightly combed it, but that's all I did, essentially LEFT IT ALONE.

Then in 1997, a hairstylist at JC Penneys over-processed my fine hair, and I had to do a "big chop". I didn't even have enough hair to braid for a weave! I wore a wig for 2 months, and then wore a weave for 5 years. My hair grew in long, thick & natural, because under that weave I LEFT IT ALONE!

Ladies, as we ponder all of the stuff we currently do to our hair, think back to the good ole days when we experienced phenomenal growth by just leaving our hair THE HECK ALONE!

I'll admit: my hair did grow quite a lot when I was barely doing anything to it. However, it wasn't healthy. Now it still grows a lot and actually is healthy.

CynamonKis

Your hair really does look healthy! But when I didnt do jack to my hair it really didn't appear un-healthy to me and it really grew fast.....makes me wanna throw all my products away & let my hair hibernate for a year!

navsegda said:
I'll admit: my hair did grow quite a lot when I was barely doing anything to it. However, it wasn't healthy. Now it still grows a lot and actually is healthy.

keluric

My hair thinks the whole no-product and NO manipulation routine is a no-no and balks at it. I have to do STUFF to my hair otherwise it won't look its best but my hair does grow nicely when I'm not really paying attention to it. A watched pot never boils, I suppose.

amwcah

I know. I see myself trying this and trying that, when I should just bun or braid and leave it alone. I'm so busy trying MTG and MN that I'm constantly in my hair. I think I'm going to get it braided this weekend.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I essentially agree with you CynamonKis. Leaving your hair alone is the key to hair growth (or better yet, length retainage). That's what I've been doing (keeping my hair in twists for at least two weeks) and I've been retaining the hair that I grow.

I have to agree about leaving the hair alone. My hair seems to behave better when I do a style that doesn't require a lot of manipulation. Last year, because I moved to a new city, I mainly did twist-outs or wore my hair in a bun. I couldn't rollerset at the time and those were the only styles that I could do that looked decent. Well, when I finally did find a hairdresser to go to, everyone complimented me on how healthy my hair looked. I guess because I hadn't been bothering it. Just washing and deep conditioning. I know I should leave it alone but I get bored easily with my hair and I prefer wearing it down and straight.

firecracker

I think I agree with leaving hair alone but then again I'm hair lazy now so I'm looking for any ole excuse. :lachen:

OT: Yeah Pooh your hair makes me sick too:lol: . Its thriving chica.
Uh somebody sho got some cute lil brown babies in their avatar. That pic brings a smile to my heart. Those lil innocent ones.

Isis

Poohbear said:
I essentially agree with you CynamonKis. Leaving your hair alone is the key to hair growth (or better yet, length retainage). That's what I've been doing (keeping my hair in twists for at least two weeks) and I've been retaining the hair that I grow.
Your hair is looking longer and more beautiful every time I see it Poohbear! Wow!:)

seeminglysweet

In college I was BROKE and went about 5 or 6 months without a relaxer, I usually touched-up at three months -MAX. I wore all my hair in a huge claw clip for two months-no ends exposed. Shampooed every two weeks and when I finally wen to get a relaxer my hair was mid-back length but I had it cut to above bsl because I didn't like how thin it was if I only new at the time that the thickness would catch up with the length.

I am trying this now.

My hair is semi tucked away in box braids as of today. I completed my whole head last week but had to redo it if I intend to keep it for at least 4 weeks.

rebraided one braid at a time with a new extension brand that is softer and less abrasive on my hair. The finale result is not prefect but it is neat and the uneven lenght is not noticable when it is in a loose pony tail.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
My plan for 2015 =Leave it ALONE.

Style to stretch only on wash day-- aiming for every 2 weeks on Sunday..
and maybe reset Friday nights (optional).

Every other day its Rosa Parks/ Susan B Anthony tucked away style for me. Lol.

Last edited:

Rastafarai

Bumping. This method seems to be working best for me. I scaled down on how often I wash/DC my hair and my weekly styles consist of a braid-out tucked into a bun. I avoid using a comb or brush during the week. I also only detangle on wash days (every 2-3 weeks).

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
That's my plan. I love it and leave it alone! I plan on washing, doing a protein treatment, deep conditioning, and blow-drying 1x a week. I don't even plan on combing at all unless it's when I blow-dry. I'll just use my fingers.

charmtreese

I leave my hair alone for pretty much a week at a time. I wear medium small twist during the week, normally I take them down on Saturday and on Sunday I wash, DC, and retwist. I would love to do this once every two weeks, but my twist start to look not so nice by the end of the week.

However, I can't completely leave my hair alone, I still have to M&S.

twolala

I agree. Having a minimalistic approach to styling the hair has a lot to do with growth. It's hard for hair to grow when it is constantly being pulled on by a blow dryer ,flatiron, or curling iron every 2 , 3 , or 4 days

Desert Skye

The longest my hair has been was when I was stressed out between grad school and work. I barely had time to eat let alone do my hair. My hair stayed in a bun for weeks at a time. Once things called down, I realized how healthy my hair became.

Misseyl

I would love to leave it alone but I love my hair and if I'm not conditioning, moisturizing and twisting it then I'm neglecting it. I always wonder about people who are always wearing wigs/braids/lacefronts and their hair stayed the same health/length.:afro:

JJamiah

I definitely am into low manipulation. When I wigged it, I still took care of my hair underneath. Now I am into once a week TLC. I am about to switch that to every two weeks since the winter weather is rapidly approaching. I believe wigging it is best when it comes too my super low manipulation of two weeks. Once a week low manipulation I just do a puff on top of my head with daily moisturizing.

coconifah

A natural girl living in an unnatural world
Less is more for me also. I dont even have a real routine other than the salon once a month for a press then co-washing at least in between appointments and buns. Im playing wth a bunch of different products for moisture now

faithVA

My hair likes to be left alone but my scalp loves water. When I was younger I was able to just keep the same style for a while and leave it alone. Over time my scalp dehydrated and my hair thinned.

Now trying to find a healthy balance between the two. My scalp is winning out right now needing at least a wash once a week but I keep it in flat twist in between washes.

I'm hoping as my hair grows out I can just braid it up and wash in braids and keep that style for a month. That could be a win win.

Last edited: