Leave it alone!!!!!!

CheerBear

Not that this is anything new..but so many people don't understand the concept of just leaving there hair alone and letting it be as DSD says. I always hear people say " my hair always grows to ________ length then it stops, or it breaks, so I dont think it can grow longer. What they dont realize is it once it grows to a length they like or that they can do different stuff with, they start playing in it, wearing it down all the time, not taking as good care of it, so of course it's gonna break. I was just thinking about this from recognizing my own actions concerning my hair and why at a certain point it gets ragged...ok, just thought I'd share my thoughts

Wow, words of wisdom. A long time ago I cut my hair to my chin. When it grew to my shoulders I was like YEAH!!!! I'ma curl it, dye it, etc, etc... Then it stopped growing. I left it alone again and now its almost bra-strap. Very good advice!

this is definetly true. thats why guys seem to grow their hair quite long in short periods of time because they don't do anything to it.

Healthy and Vibrant is the key. Length will eventually come for me. I have decided to just let my hair 'be'!

I didn't realize that people wear actually paying attention to my siggy! That's wonderful that so many agree with those words because I believe them wholeheartedly.

That goes for heat styling, hand in hair disease, looking in the mirror at your newgrowth all the time, measuring your length too often and a host of other things I can't think of right now.

My 2nd motto: Since hair grows anyway, all I have to gain is length.

I also agree but I dont understand the concept of keeping your hair up all the time. I have read some where that its not fair for other races to have long flowing hair and they wear it down all the time but when our hair reaches the long flowing stage we cant wear it down for fear of breakage.My hair is grazing shoulder length and I want everyone to see my length being that my hair was barely reaching the middle of my neck a few months ago, I dont want to hide my length, so far I have been wearing my hair down daily for the past 3 months and its fine. I agree entirely with leaving your hair alone but as long as u take proper care for it u can acheive any length u want

I know I wear my hair down EVERYDAY and my hair has grown like a wildflower and I get compliments on it ALL THE TIME!
My mother, my BIGGEST CRITIC, just told me today that my hair looked very nice and healthy today!

Since Ive been rollersetting and wraping my hair my hair is alot more healthy than when I used to use my flat iron, curlers and blowdryer!

I guess whatever works for you! When I wore my hair up in buns all it did was produce dry ends and I had some breakage from putting it in the bun. I had to trim my hair after that bun challenge. It wasnt much at all but STILL!!!

I havent trimmed my hair in at least 3-4 months since I started wearing my hair in roller/wraps! MY NEW CLAIM TO FAME!

This is sooooo true which is why Im getting braids. I have to purposely wear silk scarves around the house just to keep me from touching my hair

True, in the past whenever I started to gain a little length, I would start pressing curling blowdrying and wonder why it seemed like my hair was getting shorter. I find that everytime my hair starets growing, I just wanna play with it and touch it. Gotta let it be.

[ QUOTE ]
CheerBear said:
Not that this is anything new..but so many people don't understand the concept of just leaving there hair alone and letting it be as DSD says. I always hear people say " my hair always grows to ________ length then it stops, or it breaks, so I dont think it can grow longer. What they dont realize is it once it grows to a length they like or that they can do different stuff with, they start playing in it, wearing it down all the time, not taking as good care of it, so of course it's gonna break. I was just thinking about this from recognizing my own actions concerning my hair and why at a certain point it gets ragged...ok, just thought I'd share my thoughts

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. I remember times in my past when I did have some length, even when I was abusing my hair with heat. My hair wasn't healthy but it did grow longer because I didn't mess with it. I would forget all about my hair.
That's also why ladies who choose not to wash their hair can grow their hair very long in a brief period of time, as described in the thread, "Not Washing Hair". It's pretty fascinating but I like having clean hair.

[ QUOTE ]
Patrice said:
I also agree but I dont understand the concept of keeping your hair up all the time. I have read some where that its not fair for other races to have long flowing hair and they wear it down all the time but when our hair reaches the long flowing stage we cant wear it down for fear of breakage.My hair is grazing shoulder length and I want everyone to see my length being that my hair was barely reaching the middle of my neck a few months ago, I dont want to hide my length, so far I have been wearing my hair down daily for the past 3 months and its fine. I agree entirely with leaving your hair alone but as long as u take proper care for it u can acheive any length u want

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either.
confused.gif
I am wearing protective styles about 99% of the time while my hair growing out...but when I get to my first goal...you can bet I will be wearing it out more often. I think as long as you keep something on your ends to protect them during the day (like a leave in)...and keep them moisturized...it will be ok to wear it down more. A good friend of mine has bra strap length hair and wears it down every day with no ill effects...but she also keeps her hair very moisturized. Of course we can't forget about braidouts. They are a great way to wear your hair out and still keep the ends protected.
smile.gif

for my hair, protective styles help me retain length faster than wearing my hair down everyday(because I have dry hair). let's see, the back of my hair in May 2003 was 6.1 inches, and now it is 10 inches
weird.gif
i dont even like wearing my hair down anymore cause I am tired of people telling me it's fake. HHG!

I wear my hair up 99% of the time. This has allowed me to retain more yearly growth than average. Since my hair grows a half inch a month, that's 6 inches a year. I can go beyond that by leaving my hair in protective styles and not bothering with it.

Also, my hair is so much more healthy all over. My ends are becoming thicker and softer with less breakage. For some reason, probably genetics, if I wear my hair down and the wind blows even gently I get like a million split ends. It takes very little for my ends to split and protective styles prevent that for me.

I don't do any thing to my hair,just wash it and deep condition it after a relaxer and dry it and somr times flat iron, I keep it in a wrap 99% of the time so it stay's protected.

Back