Sew Ins and Hair Growth

I was talking to my hairstylists and she was telling me that she thinks its better if I wore a sew in weave and gave my hair a break, she said thats the only way its going to grow. Has anyone here grew their hair out without protective styling, is it possible to grow long hair and enjoy it at each stage of growth without hiding it?

danigurl18

Weaves work as long as you prep your hair before, take care of it while it's in the weave, and treat it when it comes out.

msa

First of all, your stylist is wrong. Hair is growing ALL the time. A weave won't make it grow and neither will any other style. Weaves do help most people retain their hair because the hair is hidden away so it can't get broken off by daily styling and manipulation. But if you don't want a weave, don't get one. Sounds like the stylist just wants the extra money.

Second of all, it is possibly to have great retention without constant protective styling if your hair is really healthy. But most people find that they do need to do some type of protective styling, especially once they get to shoulder length. There are many different styles you can try so don't feel like your only recourse is a weave or a bun. Get creative.

dynamic1

You can grow your hair without a sew-in. I have known people to do so without the use of weave. Prior to finding hair boarda my hair went from Halle Berry's current length to around bsl without braids or weaves. However, as it got longer I would pin it up or bun it alot because of my workouts. I also kept it off my shoulders at work 75% of the time because I was not accustomed to feeling hair on my neck. I didn't know these were "protective" styles at that time. I also notice my other long haired friends and family always keep supplies in their purse/car to put their hair up.

I have only seen women on hair boards use sew-ins successfully. IRL, the hair is always thinner or damaged from weave use.

Kurlee

You can grow your hair without a sew-in. I have known people to do so without the use of weave. Prior to finding hair boarda my hair went from Halle Berry's current length to around bsl without braids or weaves. However, as it got longer I would pin it up or bun it alot because of my workouts. I also kept it off my shoulders at work 75% of the time because I was not accustomed to feeling hair on my neck. I didn't know these were "protective" styles at that time. I also notice my other long haired friends and family always keep supplies in their purse/car to put their hair up.

I have only seen women on hair boards use sew-ins successfully. IRL, the hair is always thinner or damaged from weave use.
:yep::yep::yep: