Wigs Question?

Tif392002

Hey, Im in the wig challenge.. i just wanted to know from experienced wig wearers. What do you do to protect your edges and nape? I heard some say that the wigs faded thier hairline, i want to avoid this as my edges are in rehabilitation already.. I stoped wearing the nylon stocking cap, and used my satin scarf under the wig instead...and make sure i keep my edges moisturized. Any advice?

KatKronicles

get a satin cap. They cost about 3.99 at the bss. Different colors. Anyhoo, I only use comb free wigs or if they have wigs I pull the combs out. Vanessa by Fifth avenue has a whole comb free line. the ear flap sorta stick up for me so no rubbing. If it is a problem go ahead and cut them out. If you want to be extra safe saran wrap your head under your wig cap. that way its getting moisture and it doesnt have that skish skish sound. maybe a crinkle here and there.

Demi27

get a satin cap. They cost about 3.99 at the bss. Different colors. Anyhoo, I only use comb free wigs or if they have wigs I pull the combs out. Vanessa by Fifth avenue has a whole comb free line. the ear flap sorta stick up for me so no rubbing. If it is a problem go ahead and cut them out. If you want to be extra safe saran wrap your head under your wig cap. that way its getting moisture and it doesnt have that skish skish sound. maybe a crinkle here and there.

I agree with this entire post. That's what I do when I wear wigs.
The other thing is, I make sure that I really moisturize my nape. For some reason even when putting in the the bobby pins (instead fo the combs because I take those out too), I would still get a little breakage because my hair was so dry back there.
I do not use a stocking cap. The material almost destroyed my hair line. If I do use one, I push it back on the head (not touching my nape or front).

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I Bought Satin Caps and the Satin Du-Rags (that the Guys Wear) and I moisturize my hair really good and put on the Satin Cap or the Du-Rag.:yep:

I also bought the Nylon wig caps, but after opening and feeling it,:look: I felt the fabric would have an adverse affect on the hair, so I decided not to use and opted for the Satin Cap and the Du-Rag.

likewtr4chklit

The trick to wearing a wig with a standard wig cap is to get yourself a du-rag and put the wig/stocking cap over it. The stocking cap shouldn't even be touching your hair b/c of the du-rag. So now you have your protective fabric under the wig cap, while your wig cap is giving you a more sturdy base. I also do the bobby pin thing, I can't stand those combs.

winnettag

Excellent tips ladies!
One more thing.....the lace front BSS wigs can wreak havoc because the lace is very coarse, so I would avoid those.

ETA: I have used the comfy grip gel headband in the past when I got a bald spot at my hairline and was being extra careful. I don't know if it was the band, the emu oil or nature, but my bald spot grew in pretty quickly while still wearing wigs.

Last edited:

Lady S

Just beware of the combs. Coating them in oil or hair grease can help. I've also stuck the combs between my hair and the wig cap instead of through my hair, if that makes any sense. Bobby pins are good too.

locabouthair

I was wearing half wigs for 6 months. My temples got a little thin but the rest of my edges look fine. I always took the combs out the wig but my problem was that I would push my hair back every day. I would try to make my edges look sleek by brushing them and using some gel. and I would wera a headband. Basically pushing them back all the time caused my edges to thin a little. It's not too bad though. I know it could have been worse. And thats something that would have happened without me wearing a wig. Tight buns and ponytail can damage your hairline.

So dont push your hair back too often and take out the combs and I think you should be ok.

Excellent tips ladies!
One more thing.....the lace front BSS wigs can wreak havoc because the lace is very coarse, so I would avoid those.

ETA: I have used the comfy grip gel headband in the past when I got a bald spot at my hairline and was being extra careful. I don't know if it was the band, the emu oil or nature, but my bald spot grew in pretty quickly while still wearing wigs.

I'm glad to hear that. I hope mine grow back.