Absolute Best Detangling Tool that You've Used?

isawstars

isawstars

Thanks for sharing. I have this comb but after buying it I was too afraid to use it. I am washing my hair tonight and may use it tonight. Thanks again.

Rozlewis let us know what you think!!

faithVA
I think it works well for two reasons:

1- Double comb action keeps your curls from "re-tangling" after going through the comb the first time
2- The weight of the comb (yeah, it's a bit heavy) helps you glide through your hair effortlessly, keeping you (or at least me) from getting aggressive with my hair

If your hair is short and natural you might have to stretch your hair/pull it taut as you comb through each section. Otherwise it'll be a traffic jam of curls.

I hope that makes sense.

faithVA

Rozlewis let us know what you think!!

faithVA
I think it works well for two reasons:

1- Double comb action keeps your curls from "re-tangling" after going through the comb the first time
2- The weight of the comb (yeah, it's a bit heavy) helps you glide through your hair effortlessly, keeping you (or at least me) from getting aggressive with my hair

If your hair is short and natural you might have to stretch your hair/pull it taut as you comb through each section. Otherwise it'll be a traffic jam of curls.

I hope that makes sense.
Thank you. I will check it out.

nubiennze

nubiennze did you try the wet brush out yet?

Yes - it's awesome! :yep:

I had the same apprehensions about the bristles' flimsiness that were expressed here, but when I say that thing glided through my tangles like a champ...

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I actually had some matted areas from neglect (i.e. dreading and thus putting off wash day). Initially I thought the bristles may have just been bending against my hair & not actually penetrating it, but before I knew it I was able to run my fingers through it & my waves were popping - all without that horrid ripping sound the Tangle Teezer makes. :lol: I think of this brush as a vastly improved version of that one: far gentler (although I do miss the scalp massage; these bristles aren't really stiff enough for that) and improved grip via the handle & rubbery texture.

All I'd done to my hair before detangling was wet it and drench it with HE Naked Cleansing Conditioner. This brush eliminated my usual need to finger detangle + distribute product with Magic Star Jumbo Rake + remove shed hair with modified Denman. Drastically reduced my shower time & required tools to one, which is exactly what I was looking for. :yep:

For what it's worth, my hair is dense and wiry, with fine strands everywhere except the temples. It's not especially coily but certainly kinky/tangle prone (as evidenced by the freeform locs that were starting at my roots, lol). If you're currently using multiple tools, please don't let hair texture dissuade you from giving this a go. I'll definitely be picking up another one. :yep:

nubiennze

I had quite a bit of shed hair, but that was expected since it was somewhat of an extensive detangling session. I'll have to report back once I've used it on my hair at its happiest. Based on the fact that I couldn't even tell whether it was going though my hair despite how badly tangled it was, though, I'd wager that I lost a comparable amount of hair to what I would've lost with the Denman, if not far less.

It certainly pulls markedly less than any detangling tool I've ever used: comb, brush, fingers or otherwise. No catches or snapping sounds to speak of. This is from the perspective of someone who never had any intention of giving up her Denman, no matter what anyone said. :lol:

The bristles don't appear to have seams - certainly none as conspicuous as those on the Denman - but the some of the blunt ends (i.e. where the bottoms of the bristles have been folded over & inserted) do stick up from the base/cushion of the brush.

Melaninme

I use to use a denman brush. As my hair grew longer, I later switched to using a paddle brush.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
It's a toss-up between this cheap rake comb I used to use and my Magic Star Rake Comb. The Magic Star is better for avoiding snagging, but the thinner teeth of my other rake comb went through my hair easier.

I've been eyeing that Ouidad double comb.

PlainJane

I've been using a denman on wash days for the past few weeks and I'm so scared of a setback. I'm going to buy the wet brush today.

ETA:
I don't use this anymore lol :look:

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I wanna find that TEK Brush every one has been raving about. :yep:

I have one, but it's the wrong kind (Round), and I want the Paddle.

So I plan to return it to TJMaxx sometime today.

Hope it won't be crowded. *womp womp*:ohwell: