A QUESTION ABOUT BRAIDS

lila_baby

Hi ladies.

I've been braiding my hair while transitioning and I really like it

because it's so stress free. Anyways when I take my braids down I always

have this matting and product buildup where the braid is attached to my

hair. Is there any way to avoid this or prevent this?

Thanks

Lila

iri9109

hmmm...i hope other ppl chip in b/c the only time i had matting and product build up is when i either wasnt washing my braids, or i didnt fully rinse after i washed and conditioned...also idk how you do it, but when i had braids or kinky twists i braided them in like 4 plaits/braids before i washed and then dilute the shampoo with water in an applicator bottle and then squirt it directly on to the braids focusing on the area closer to my scalp, but since the braids are sectioned off into plaits and the water/shampoo is concentrated on one section instead of water from the shower or faucet just pouring down on it i dont have to worry about them slipping out as much and i can really make sure my hair underneath and scalp is getting clean

lila_baby

oh thanks for replying anyways I just read on another website that apple cider vinegar rinse will help remove any conditioner that's left in

Carisa

How long are you keeping them in? Maybe u should keep them in a shorter amt of time and that could help with the matting part. My hair also becomes matted sometimes if i wash in braids to frequently. I dnt know why your experiencing product build up though-could be the products or maybe you need to use a clarifying shampoo after removing your braids to see if that helps.

Ivonnovi

RECIPE CORRECTED: I'd recommend a Baking Soda (soak then) Rinse. I think the recipe is 1Tblspoons to 2 Cups of water. Saturate, Soak, rinse after about 5-15minutes. This usually dissolves most buildup. IF the buildup is from dandruff though, I'd simply recommend that you do not braid so tight to the scalp so these flakes are more easily washed away.

Also here's an informative link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...ssion/227627-braids-101-get-ready-summer.html

Check out www.MotownGirl.com for the correct recipe, and others.

Last edited:

ilah

***The baking soda rinse suggested by Ivonnovi sounds like a brilliant idea and would suggest her course of action highly.*** This will be a method I'll use with my next installment of micros.

I've used ORS dry shampoo with a baby toothbrush when in braids to deal with product build up and to make sure I'm not manipulating my own hair too much. I also make sure to slightly rotate each braid from the scalp to help prevent my own hair from sticking to other sections every few days.

TLC1020

I have been wearing braids since I bc'd back in march, while wearing braids I do not wash my hair for this very reason of matting. Years ago I used to shampoo my hair while in braids but never knew why my hair was so matted. So I thought maybe I should not wet my hair and that worked. I wear braids for 2 months at a time.

steffiejoe

I agree with the ones who said , you get less buildup / matting at the base the less you wet your braids. The last few times I had braids I could only leave them in 4-6 weeks and ended up with some serious buildup at the base of where the braid was started and my newgrowth. I remember when I washed my braids once a month I never had this buildup problem. Also stay away from heavy products like s-curl and CFCG, these can easily build up at the base of your braids. The last time I used these products, when I removed my braids the buildup was sticky and I had a hard time separating the hair . It was almost like it was glued together. Never again, I stick with my african pride braid spray , and wash with watered down honey hemp from oyin.

tracilyn

I struggled with that when wearing individual braids and ended up losing too much hair for my liking in the removal process. I don't have that problem with cornrows which is now my braid style of choice for nearly a year now. I re-cornrow once per month which is the only time I wash and it works well. good luck!

julzinha

I've been wearing braids most of my life try only washing your scalp. Use a shampoo like Giovanni Tea Tree or Trader Joes Tingle Tree. take the shampoo and only massage your scalp with it and let the water trickle down to the braid.
And when you moisturize your hair focus on the actual braid and not the scalp or the root.

growafrohairlong.com has many tips!