Naturals: How long do you keep in your extension braids/twists?

Is 9/10 Weeks Too Long?

• Yep, you'll be loced like Marley.

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Nope, you'll be fine.

Votes: 39 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluetopia

Same here. I tie them down and typically use jane carter solution scalp serum, but my hair will frizz after a short time. For my scalp, I wouldn't wear them longer than 8 weeks but I am miserable after 6 weeks in them and that's usually when they come out.

When I was a young girl I feel like I could have gone 3 months in box braids, but now after 4 weeks I am making plans for when I am taking them down.

yes! ive wondered about that a lot in the past year. after a month i look like a neglected orphan child :perplexed

at that point i have to slap my braids into a bun and wear a thin heaadband to make the whole thing look "neat"

yorkpatties

yes! ive wondered about that a lot in the past year. after a month i look like a neglected orphan child :perplexed

at that point i have to slap my braids into a bun and wear a thin heaadband to make the whole thing look "neat"

It makes me wonder, did we all look like holy hell back then? :nono: Was jacked up extensions more acceptable back then? LOL Did we just not see it? :spinning: What gives?

nisemac

i so love it when i come across threads like this. always little nuggets of info that are so useful.

in the past, i used to do about 2 months in braids, synthetic hair. i'm seriously considering braiding to PS and get past my awkward phase. but this time i'm thinking of using human hair.

Nonie

Does your hair texture matter for keeping braids in long? Whether I do them or have them professionally done, real hair or fake, box braids or cornrows, I look fuzzy after two weeks and they have to come out after 4. I tie my hair up, use a satin pillow case and have tried many products (not at once, lol) and even no product, same results. I envy you ladies.

Same here. I tie them down and typically use jane carter solution scalp serum, but my hair will frizz after a short time. For my scalp, I wouldn't wear them longer than 8 weeks but I am miserable after 6 weeks in them and that's usually when they come out.

When I was a young girl I feel like I could have gone 3 months in box braids, but now after 4 weeks I am making plans for when I am taking them down.

aicramphoto Bluetopia yorkpatties I don't know the answer about when you guys were younger, but I do know that if hair is straightened before the braids are put in, shrinkage will make them look bad sooner. Also if the braiding isn't firm (and I don't mean tight at the base, but the "rope" should be firm).

If hair isn't straightened but just braid stretched, then it behaves like prewashed jeans and there's no shrinkage of your hair which would cause an accordion effect on the extension hair.

Another thing is if the extension hair is very silky (read: slippery) it will unravel more easily, especially if human hair. In that case the texture of hair you use matters.

When I wasn't buying "Water Wave" or "Wash n Wavy" human hair extensions, I'd always get the least silky human hair I could find. The kind that looks like dull relaxed hair.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I keep mine in between 3 and 4 months at a time. The front does twist quite a lot, but it's easily tackled with a tangle teaser a bit of unbraid hair spray.

x

aviddiva77

Do you guys let your hair breathe? Like you take them down fully and then wait a week or two to put the twists/braids back in? If so how long do you let it breathe and if not do you think it causes damage to just rebraid/twist them every 4-6 weeks?

naturalmanenyc

I've had in my first set of kinky twists for 3 weeks. They are slipping though so they won't last 8 weeks as intended. I to plan to get them reinstalled, by a different braider, and hopefully they will last 8 weeks.